PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most underrated HC in the NBA?

sunsfan88
03-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Can't say Gregg Popovich, George Karl, Tom Thibodeau, Doc Rivers or Rick Carlisle. These guys aren't really underrated cause mostly everyone knows that their all elite or very good HCs.

Also try not to be homers and say Mike Woodson, Erik Spoelstra, Vinny Del Negro or Scott Brooks. I think its fairly obvious that those teams win only because of their talent not cause of coaching really.

That leaves us with Lionel Hollins, Frank Vogel, Mark Jackson, Larry Drew, PJ Carlesmo. Hollins and Vogel are both guys who have turned their respective teams into title contenders. Mark Jackson has turned around the Warriors from becoming an awful team to a playoff team. Carlesmo took over the mess that Avery Johnson created and changed the atmosphere of that locker room and now they are starting to look like a legitimate threat in the East

Honorable mention: Byron Scott, Jim Boylan, Monty Williams, Jacque Vaughn. I think both those guys are doing a good job of developing the young talent on their teams but I can't include them as canditates because of their teams being so bad right now.

If you think someone not mentioned above is the most underrated HC, then pick "other" in poll option and just say specify in a post and give the reason why.

Blitzbolt
03-30-2013, 07:15 PM
Lionel Hollins Injury's BIG trades no superstars and he still has the Grizzlies going.He took the worst team in NBA and he turn everything around in about a year.

But like everyone he does have some issues especially with the old school 80's baskeball playing style that works on the defense but hurts the offense.

bucketss
03-30-2013, 07:22 PM
i like how lionel hollins has their guards constantly feeding and than re-feeding the post good coach.

mzgrizz
03-30-2013, 07:42 PM
Lionel has done a phenomenal job with the Grizz. Wish the FO thought so and would give him a new contract !! What are they waiting on???? :mad:

b@llhog24
03-30-2013, 07:43 PM
I like Vogel.

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 08:07 PM
Lionel Hollins is probably the most underrated. You never really hear his name brought up, I feel like Vogel is already widely regarded as one of the better young coaches in the league, hes not really underrated anymore. Nobody really mentions Hollins as much.

justinnum1
03-30-2013, 08:09 PM
go ahead and flame me, spo is underrated. Not saying he is most underrated, but he is underrated.

Talent is one thing but coaching plays a role too. Look at the talent the lakers have, there coach is incompetent. if they had phil jackson this season, do people really think the lakers are a 9th seed right now?

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
go ahead and flame me, spo is underrated. Not saying he is most underrated, but he is underrated.

Talent is one thing but coaching plays a role too. Look at the talent the lakers have, there coach is incompetent. if they had phil jackson this season, do people really think the lakers are a 9th seed right now?

I think its fair to say Spo is underrated. He gets little to no credit, and hes a great young coach.

AWC713
03-30-2013, 08:21 PM
ill go with vogel, but kevin mchale NEEDS to be mentioned.

hes taking not only the youngest team this year, but one of the youngest all time, into the playoffs.

he did so while his 22 year old daughter passed away mid season.

he has been huge likewise in the development of houston rockets big men, including MIP candidate omer asik, who is averaging 10 and 11.

what he has accomplished is OUTSTANDING and deserves some mention.

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
ill go with vogel, but kevin mchale NEEDS to be mentioned.

hes taking not only the youngest team this year, but one of the youngest all time, into the playoffs.

he did so while his 22 year old daughter passed away mid season.

he has been huge likewise in the development of houston rockets big men, including MIP candidate omer asik, who is averaging 10 and 11.

what he has accomplished is OUTSTANDING and deserves some mention.

Agreed on McHale. He gets well deserved flack for his incompetency as a GM but he is a solid coach and is doing a terrific job in Houston.

Minimal
03-30-2013, 08:27 PM
My pick would be be Doug Collins

BKLYNpigeon
03-30-2013, 08:32 PM
ummm..... Isiah Thomas.

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 08:32 PM
My pick would be be Doug Collins

I personally think hes the most overrated. I respect him as a coach who can get a young team to buy in, play spirited ball and overachieve but he is widely regarded as one of the best coaches in the game when analysts talk about him and his resume doesn't really justify it. Dude has never been past the 2nd round and coached Michael ****ing Jordan.

ThaDubs
03-30-2013, 08:34 PM
MJ seems to make questionable decisions sometimes but has really turned this team around.

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2013, 08:41 PM
I'd go with Vogel... I mean, they have the second best record in the east right now, and while NY has guys like Melo and Amare and Chandler, Vogel is working with Hibbert, West and PG, and great group of guys, but guys who aren't celebrated the way Melo, Amare and Hibbert are. Throw in the fact that their best player has been injured all season, while NY has guys like Kidd, Camby, Martin, Thomas, Wallace and JR Smith coming off the bench, I'd say NY's record should be head-and-shoulders above Indy, but they are neck-and-neck. The Pacers' current roster has a total of 3 all-star appearances (not including Granger who has been out all season), where as the Nets have 13 combined all-star appearances on their currents roster. NY has even more: 28! I'd say that's pretty impressive that the Pacers are doing as well as they are considering their lack of all-star status players.

Steelers23_06
03-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Spo. He is underrated. It takes a really good coach to get three stars comfortable in their roles. A lot of people questioned if he could and now that he has they say its expected with the quality guys he had. Funny this thread came up because me and my friend was just talking about it today and he said spo is nothing special. But if you watch heat play calling its very intricate and precise. Yea it's up to the player to execute but they don't make the plays them self.

roju23
03-30-2013, 08:58 PM
Not arguing for Mike Woodson, but I don't understand why he is dismissed from discussion and PJ is included. Preseason, all the pundits picked the Nets over the Knicks. He also inherited a mess last season, as did PJ this year.

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 08:59 PM
I'd go with Vogel... I mean, they have the second best record in the east right now, and while NY has guys like Melo and Amare and Chandler, Vogel is working with Hibbert, West and PG, and great group of guys, but guys who aren't celebrated the way Melo, Amare and Hibbert are. Throw in the fact that their best player has been injured all season, while NY has guys like Kidd, Camby, Martin, Thomas, Wallace and JR Smith coming off the bench, I'd say NY's record should be head-and-shoulders above Indy, but they are neck-and-neck. The Pacers' current roster has a total of 3 all-star appearances (not including Granger who has been out all season), where as the Nets have 13 combined all-star appearances on their currents roster. NY has even more: 28! I'd say that's pretty impressive that the Pacers are doing as well as they are considering their lack of all-star status players.

Over half of those 28 probably came in the ****ing 90s. I don't disagree that Vogel is a fantastic coach and I admire the way he preaches hard nosed 90s Knicks style basketball but the stuff on combined all star appearances was bogus reasoning.

RLundi
03-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I like how you ask US who the most underrated coach in the league is, then proceed to tell us who not to pick, then shorten it down to like 5 choices ... that being said, I'll go with Vogel :D

roju23
03-30-2013, 09:11 PM
I like how you ask US who the most underrated coach in the league is, then proceed to tell us who not to pick, then shorten it down to like 5 choices ... that being said, I'll go with Vogel :D

This...^

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-30-2013, 09:21 PM
I feel like out of the list you made Vogel's the most underrated. Lionel Hollins is pretty underrated as well. Jackson has gotten the love he's deserved so far. As for the Drew and PJ, I don't really think much of them. Don't think either are really good or really bad, just average.

Even though his team hasn't had a good season, I think Doug Colllins tends to get underrated a bit. The whole season for them has been an absolute mess but he's had plenty of success before.

Blink
03-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Can't believe you guys are over looking Lawrence Frank

4milesperday
03-30-2013, 09:52 PM
Eric Spoelstra is the most underrated coach in NBA history.

lol, please
03-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Mark Jackson and it's not close. He gets no respect, not even from Warriors fans. A distant second is Larry Drew.

D-Leethal
03-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Eric Spoelstra is the most underrated coach in NBA history.

Didn't most Heat fans despise the guy right up until the finals last year? I remember him getting lambasted by Heat fans during the Indy and Celtic series.

nytunnelvision
03-30-2013, 10:08 PM
As a knicks fan, I guess I'm allowed to vote for Spo. Very creative, both offensively (always seeking high efficiency shots) and defensively (hyperactive helping scheme)

BSplaya2121
03-30-2013, 10:09 PM
I agree for the most part.... There is a lot of talent on this team but they are very young .... Him and Vogel were the 1st two I had in mind

BSplaya2121
03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
MJ seems to make questionable decisions sometimes but has really turned this team around.

This is what I tried to quote but my phone sucks

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Over half of those 28 probably came in the ****ing 90s. I don't disagree that Vogel is a fantastic coach and I admire the way he preaches hard nosed 90s Knicks style basketball but the stuff on combined all star appearances was bogus reasoning.

I agree that it isn't the best reason, but the point is that not only do their three best players all have All-Star appearances, and multiple ones in the case or Melo and Amare, but even their role players are former all-stars. I'm simply pointing out that NY is loaded with guys that have played at an all-star level and are experienced vets while the Pacers only have three guys on their active roster who have made an all-star appearance, and each of them only have one appearance each, and only one all-star this season (NY had two this season).

I agree with you, if that were my ONLY reason, it would be a flawed argument, but that is simply something I was pointing out. The guys coming off the bench for Indy do NOT have the kind of experience as the Knicks bench, nor do they have guys who are capable of playing at an all-star level sitting on the bench.

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Can't believe you guys are over looking Lawrence Frank

As a Detroit fan, I have to say, I hope you are joking.

Bravo95
03-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Lionel Hollins or Monty Williams.

Drew shouldn't be anywhere near this poll. Don't let the winning record fool you, that's all Lester Conner (his asst).

todu82
03-30-2013, 11:06 PM
Lionel Hollins

fpayqafa
03-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Lionel Hollins Injury's BIG trades no superstars and he still has the Grizzlies going.http://www.rragam.info/3g.jpg

Utd7
03-30-2013, 11:28 PM
Vogel, he's top 5 IMO.

MrfadeawayJB
03-30-2013, 11:41 PM
Homer pick Hollins. I've literally watched him (along with tony Allen). Change the grizz defensive culture

Jtirado16
03-30-2013, 11:45 PM
I go with Frank Vogel!! He's doing a great job at Indiana

LBJ6
03-31-2013, 02:31 AM
Definitely Spo, even Heat Fans doesn't trust him, but I say he's done a good job especially on handling multiple star players.

sunsfan88
03-31-2013, 07:58 AM

That's why I included the "other" option.