PDA

View Full Version : Just How Bad Of A Coach Is Vinny Del Negro???

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm hoping to gather a good amount of opinions from non Clippers fans specifically with actual reasons why you feel this way. I personally feel he's an atrocious coach, holding the team back. I'm praying he's replaced this offseason with Stan Van Gundy or Jerry Sloan. From your experiences as fans of other teams what have you noticed in terms of coaching when your team plays the Clippers?

Do you feel the Clippers will make a tremendous mistake to bring him back again this summer rather than hiring a better coach? What do you predict WILL actually take place? Do you think think a coach like the two I mentioned can get way more out of the talent we have than Vinny?

TopsyTurvy
03-30-2013, 04:47 PM
You're just jealous of his hair.

TyrionLannister
03-30-2013, 04:56 PM

This.

Seriously, though, they should definitely look to replace him. Or hell, just hand the clipboard over to Billups or Paul himself.

YoungOne
03-30-2013, 04:57 PM
lol when they play well its the players when they suck its the coach..

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 05:02 PM
lol when they play well its the players when they suck its the coach..

Even when the team was winning 17 in a row I was complaining about obvious coaching issues that I knew would eventually bite us in the ***. One thing that still irks me to this day was when asked about what the Clippers identity and strategy is Vinny with a straight fans said "Chris Paul" without hesitation. Not exactly a good way to assure the fans or team that you know what you're doing. May as well fire him and add his salary to Paul's.

Cracka2HI!
03-30-2013, 05:04 PM
He's improved a lot as a coach, but as a Clippers fan I have to agree. He doesn't and won't have what it takes to coach a championship team. I do believe a coach like Sloan of SVG is what we need.

TopsyTurvy
03-30-2013, 05:05 PM
The inside joke around Chicago media after VDN was hired as the coach of the Clippers was that Sterling owed Reinsdorf a favor and JR cashed in by "selling" 'The Hair' to Sterling. As a Bulls fan, I sympathize with the pain of any Clippers fan regarding Del Negro.

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2013, 05:12 PM
In terms of what he's done with the team, he lead them to a modest improvement his first season, and then a dramatic improvement with the addition of CP3. This season the team has improved further (right now they are at 49 wins and 24 losses, last season they finished 40-26, so he has helped the team improve this season. He's also done a great job of limiting his key guys while still getting wins, which is what Pop does.

A lot of his success has to do with the talent on his team, as is the case with Brooks and Spo, but considering the results he's gotten, I don't think you could fairly say he's doing a bad job, even if the team is capable of a better record. He's on top of his division, and has the 5th best record in the league, and he's only half a game behind the team with the 4th best record. He also got the team into the second round of the playoffs last year, which is only the second time that has happened since the Clippers came to LA. And they didn't even have homecourt n that series.

It's hard to argue with his results. There may be some games where he was out-coached at the end, but I haven't seen many Clippers games this season. When the playoffs roll around you will get a better look at what he can do, but I don't see why anybody would think he is doing a 'bad' job. It's not like he's Mike Brwn or Mike 'Antoni.

That said, VDN has displayed that he is more than a competent coach in this league and can help a team improve. I am not saying that Sloan of SVG, or JVG for that matter, and obviously PJ as well, wouldn't be an upgrade, but unless I have a HOF coach lined up to take this team to the next level, I wouldn't fire VDN.

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm not saying he's done a bad job Jason, I'm saying he's the wrong coach and is holding the team back. I feel if we had a higher quality coach we could easily be a top 3 team right now given the talent we have. Cracka I agree Vinny has improved but as it was said last year by Clippersblog... Vinny was handed the keys to a Honda originally which has now been traded in for a Ferrari and he's in way over his head.

I think with a team like the Wizards he would do a fantastic job. A team that will grow with him. He's a high class guy, great locker room guy and has done well keeping the team bonded. He genuinely cares about his players. That being said the Clippers need a coach who's won at the highest levels and can elevate the team NOW, not in 3-4 more years or more.

At best right now you could argue he doesn't "hurt" the team but no way in hell could you argue he helps it.

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
The inside joke around Chicago media after VDN was hired as the coach of the Clippers was that Sterling owed Reinsdorf a favor and JR cashed in by "selling" 'The Hair' to Sterling. As a Bulls fan, I sympathize with the pain of any Clippers fan regarding Del Negro.

Haha...

flclfanman
03-30-2013, 05:21 PM
"I told you so" would be an understatement.

It was all sunshine and rainbows when the Chris Pauls, I mean Clippers went on that crazy win streak. Now that you see his in game "adjustments" you see why Chicago was happy to send him packing.

HYFR
03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
You better hope the clips don't go deep in the playoffs then because he won't get fired

97NYer
03-30-2013, 05:36 PM
They would be scary if they hired JVG.

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 05:36 PM
You better hope the clips don't go deep in the playoffs then because he won't get fired

For sure. It's one of those things where... it's better to do terrible and get swept in round 1 because it 100 percent guarantees a firing. If he puts up a fight in the 2nd round or gets to the WCF the odds are he stays.

sunsfan88
03-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Would you rather have D'Antoni than Del Negro?

Yea that's what I thought.

sunsfan88
03-30-2013, 05:37 PM

Yea that's what I thought...

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 05:44 PM

Yea that's what I thought.

Yes. I don't think the Lakers roster filled with older, set in their ways players who are primadonna's is comparable to our locker room filled with high class, workers. D'Antoni lead the Suns to what 5 straight years of 50+ wins? In that time WCF once, 2nd round a couple times and won coach of the year. Not to mention he was on the Olympic coaching staff. I'd say D'Antoni is a pretty good coach at least in comparison to Vinny.

zn23
03-30-2013, 05:54 PM
He's very bad... I enjoy watching bballbreakdown to see how coach Nick rips apart VDN's 'play calling'

If they don't get rid of him this year, this team isn't going anywhere. I can't remember a team so talented, that's held back by their HC's incompetence.

HouRealCoach
03-30-2013, 05:55 PM
Hopefully after he's gone they hire Jerry Sloan so that Clippers can play REAL basketball

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 06:03 PM
He's very bad... I enjoy watching bballbreakdown to see how coach Nick rips apart VDN's 'play calling'

If they don't get rid of him this year, this team isn't going anywhere. I can't remember a team so talented, that's held back by their HC's incompetence.

Agree. I also can't remember a team so talented yet with such a subpar coach. Last year I said I'd take a hiatus for the season if they brought Vinny back and I couldn't follow through but this summer it will be devastating if they bring him back again rather than look at the big picture.

Chronz
03-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Amen

Cracka2HI!
03-30-2013, 06:18 PM
This really is a problem for the Clippers. A few posts have mentioned that he has had success. He has to be the most successful coach in Clippers history and he is easy to like. The players like him and generally play hard. You do have to credit him for that. It's not that he can't coach or has no redeeming qualities. I just don't think he will ever coach a champiohship team. The Clippers finally have a championship window but it won't be open long. As good as CP3 is and as great as Blake can become they probably have 3 years to win it all. With that being said I think CP3, Blake and Clippers fans deserve and all-in approach, which would be Sloan or SVG would be the coach.

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 06:25 PM
This really is a problem for the Clippers. A few posts have mentioned that he has had success. He has to be the most successful coach in Clippers history and he is easy to like. The players like him and generally play hard. You do have to credit him for that. It's not that he can't coach or has no redeeming qualities. I just don't think he will ever coach a champiohship team. The Clippers finally have a championship window but it won't be open long. As good as CP3 is and as great as Blake can become they probably have 3 years to win it all. With that being said I think CP3, Blake and Clippers fans deserve and all-in approach, which would be Sloan or SVG would be the coach.

Awesome post man, props. Unfortunately Sterling seems to have a big mancrush on Vinny and has never spent money on a big time coach (they aren't profitable really like players) so I'm worried as heck.

Cracka2HI!
03-30-2013, 06:38 PM
Yea I agree. I really don't see us not retaining Vinny unless we completely flop in the playoffs. I don't think we are going to, but I don't see us making a Championship run either. It's a tough reality to deal with because I/we obviously can't root for us to lose in the 1st round.

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Yea I agree. Last year in the playoffs I tried to root against us a little bit but it emotionally fu*cked me lol. Like I was torn between rooting against or for us PURELY because I want Vinny gone. But them my competitiveness kicked in and the fact that I HATED the Grizzlies made it impossible to root for them to lose. Mayo, Gay and Zbo running their mouths about our team being soft, overrated and flopping etc.

farren.louis
03-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Its not the coach , its blake griffin.

John Walls Era
03-30-2013, 07:47 PM
I see no improvement since the Bulls days. They don't run many plays out of timeouts that surprise anyone. Most of their plays come from pick and rolls or fast breaks that are led by CP3. We'll see how he responds in the playoffs when teams take away his best player.

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 07:56 PM
I see no improvement since the Bulls days. They don't run many plays out of timeouts that surprise anyone. Most of their plays come from pick and rolls or fast breaks that are led by CP3. We'll see how he responds in the playoffs when teams take away his best player.

Or iso. It's like half PNR/half Iso. WAY too predictable and teams always know where the ball is going. Which is why teams have finally learned our game and adjusted and took away the game. In November/December our sheer talent was overwhelming pretty much every team in the NBA including the elite. Then when the started scouting us and seeing how we beat teams.. they started roughing us up, trapping CP3 and forcing guys like Crawford to jack up a bunch of jumpers.

Of course Vinny never had a backup plan or strategy and now it's biting us in the ***.

1-800-STFU
03-30-2013, 08:01 PM
He has no offensive gameplan. His offense consists of ISOs and a pick and roll every so often. Was extremely frustrating when he was coaching the Bulls

1-800-STFU
03-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Or iso. It's like half PNR/half Iso. WAY too predictable and teams always know where the ball is going. Which is why teams have finally learned our game and adjusted and took away the game. In November/December our sheer talent was overwhelming pretty much every team in the NBA including the elite. Then when the started scouting us and seeing how we beat teams.. they started roughing us up, trapping CP3 and forcing guys like Crawford to jack up a bunch of jumpers.

Of course Vinny never had a backup plan or strategy and now it's biting us in the ***.

Bhahahahah thats just what I said too. SO true

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Bhahahahah thats just what I said too. SO true

Haha. Nice username btw.

Asik's better
03-30-2013, 08:22 PM
Feel sorry for Vinny. Yes he isn't the greatest coach out there. However let's settle down on calling him an atrocious or even a bad coach. If he was a bad coach, the clippers would be struggling to make the playoffs. That being said, of Sloan or stan want to coach the clips, they should aboustly hire them.

zn23
03-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Feel sorry for Vinny. Yes he isn't the greatest coach out there. However let's settle down on calling him an atrocious or even a bad coach. If he was a bad coach, the clippers would be struggling to make the playoffs. That being said, of Sloan or stan want to coach the clips, they should aboustly hire them.

No, the Clips are a good enough team talent wise to get past the first round. However even that was a big challenge last year, they went a hard 7 games against the Memphis Grizzlies, and then got swept... that's hardly a success.

I can tell you that if they face the Grizz this year in the first round, they are not advancing. If they face the Spurs, they are getting swept again.

Chris Paul is basically the HC of the team, but he can only do so much. This team is absolutely loaded. No reason they should be struggling to get past the first round and second round.

Clippersfan86
03-30-2013, 09:27 PM
No, the Clips are a good enough team talent wise to get past the first round. However even that was a big challenge last year, they went a hard 7 games against the Memphis Grizzlies, and then got swept... that's hardly a success.

I can tell you that if they face the Grizz this year in the first round, they are not advancing. If they face the Spurs, they are getting swept again.

Chris Paul is basically the HC of the team, but he can only do so much. This team is absolutely loaded. No reason they should be struggling to get past the first round and second round.

No reason we should be basically a slightly over .500 team for the last 2-3 months even. People need to understand in Nov/Dec we overwhelmed teams with our talent and depth and that's why we dominated. Once teams learned how we play... and that all they had to do was rough us up, shutdown CP3 and then make us lose our composure.. we got exposed. We haven't beaten a western conference top 5 seed since mid January.

WARRIORS@GR
03-30-2013, 09:32 PM
I've watched the clippers in around 15-20 games this year.
I really love their depth,and then you have 1.probably the best leader in the league. 2. one of the most gifted and skilled post players,upcoming superstar BG 3. Probably the best supporting cast around them,bledsoe,jamal,billups,barnes,odom,butler.
One just good coach is definitely a top 2 seed with that team.
So yes,del negro is not the right coach for this team.

grayski
03-30-2013, 10:59 PM
Bulls fan here and Vinny is HORRIBLE!!! He had one offensive play here give it to Derrick/pick and roll and now he has one play in LA give it to CP3/pick and roll. The talent will get you guys regular season wins but when it comes down to playoff coaching Vinny is going to look completely outclassed and clueless. If The LAC are happy just to win more games than they lose because of a terrible history Chris can do that on his own. If you guys really want to make a serious run for the championship, there is only one option= FIRE VINNY!

Blitzbolt
03-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Bad and Sad Cp3 is the coach and we all know it.

knicksfan42
03-30-2013, 11:05 PM
So bad his team is 4th in the Western Conference.

Chronz
03-30-2013, 11:51 PM

Our defensive shortcomings are the primary reason for our struggles, Im pretty sure the offense has been more or less the same in comparison. That had more to do with teams figuring out our Bigs are overaggressive and out of rebounding position so often.

PS I thought you said Hollins never got punked? He got shat on by a PG, he looked like a weaker Bosh out there.

Aust
03-31-2013, 12:06 AM
Stan Van would be a nice upgrade

Clippersfan86
03-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Our defensive shortcomings are the primary reason for our struggles, Im pretty sure the offense has been more or less the same in comparison. That had more to do with teams figuring out our Bigs are overaggressive and out of rebounding position so often.

PS I thought you said Hollins never got punked? He got shat on by a PG, he looked like a weaker Bosh out there.

If I said it was never, I was exaggerating. Although that was Beverley that snatched the rebound from him who's similar to Bledsoe and is one of the elite rebounding guards, and extremely strong. In general though Hollins played poor tonight after a good start. The offense and defense have actually both been slipping.

Clippersfan86
03-31-2013, 01:13 AM
I've watched the clippers in around 15-20 games this year.
I really love their depth,and then you have 1.probably the best leader in the league. 2. one of the most gifted and skilled post players,upcoming superstar BG 3. Probably the best supporting cast around them,bledsoe,jamal,billups,barnes,odom,butler.
One just good coach is definitely a top 2 seed with that team.
So yes,del negro is not the right coach for this team.

Amen.

Chronz
03-31-2013, 01:15 AM
If I said it was never, I was exaggerating. Although that was Beverley that snatched the rebound from him who's similar to Bledsoe and is one of the elite rebounding guards, and extremely strong. In general though Hollins played poor tonight after a good start.
You exaggerate? Never......

The offense and defense have actually both been slipping.
Not trying to be a dick, I dont have the ability to look it up right now but Im pretty sure what I said was more accurate. The offense has had nowhere near the decline that the defense has had.

sventhedog
03-31-2013, 01:19 AM
just as bad as the racism in his surname. lol.

oh my, i forgot to say racist alert.

Clippersfan86
03-31-2013, 10:22 AM
You exaggerate? Never......

Not trying to be a dick, I dont have the ability to look it up right now but Im pretty sure what I said was more accurate. The offense has had nowhere near the decline that the defense has had.

You're not being a dick because it's true. Our defense has slipped much further. Just saying our offense also has taken a pretty big hit. Earlier in the year... I was surprised at how efficient our offense was. Now every night we are working our *** off just to get a shot off and it's annoying. Literally the worst teams in the NBA get easier shots than us a lot of times.

Chronz
03-31-2013, 02:46 PM
You're not being a dick because it's true. Our defense has slipped much further. Just saying our offense also has taken a pretty big hit. Earlier in the year... I was surprised at how efficient our offense was. Now every night we are working our *** off just to get a shot off and it's annoying.
Yea but my exact words were, in COMPARISON to our D, our O is more or less the same. Like if its declined, it barely been noticeable, unlike our defense which is a chasms difference from where it was.

Thus, its pretty wierd that you focused on that end, neglecting to mention the FAR more significant reason for our decline.

Still, would love for you to show me your figures, Im sure it could be significant but I would like to know the severity. Because in your post you said:

The offense and defense have actually both been slipping.

Sounds like you have some contrary evidence to what I was saying, I would like to see it. Otherwise, why say actually?

Literally the worst teams in the NBA get easier shots than us a lot of times.
Not sold.

amos1er
03-31-2013, 03:18 PM
He isn't a great coach, but certainly not the worst in the NBA...Clips could do better.

Clippersfan86
04-01-2013, 03:16 PM
Byron Scott on his way out of Cleveland supposedly. He's a defense first, no non sense coach that CP3 has a superb relationship with. He's known for beating the crap out of lazy players so I think he would be great. He would have no problem chewing out everybody on our team Pop style.

I bet if he re-signs or gets fired from Cleveland CP3 will push to bring him here. CP3's best years were under Byron. You guys think he would be a big upgrade to Vinny?

Clippersfan86
04-02-2013, 01:10 AM
CP3 doing all the talking and playcalling in timeouts. Vinny is toast.

Chronz
04-02-2013, 01:39 AM
Any background on why Byron got fired from CP3's team last time?

Cracka2HI!
04-02-2013, 01:41 AM
I don't think I prefer Scott over VDN tbh.

Chronz
04-02-2013, 01:55 AM
I don't think I prefer Scott over VDN tbh.
Its just a thought. One worth considering but only if CP3 and Blake agree. The biggest concern is DJ, I think it may be time to start Odom or Crawford.

ThaDubs
04-02-2013, 02:08 AM
Chris Paul is going to be a great coach in the future.

Cracka2HI!
04-02-2013, 02:21 AM
Its just a thought. One worth considering but only if CP3 and Blake agree. The biggest concern is DJ, I think it may be time to start Odom or Crawford.

Odom and Hollins both played a hell of a lot better than DJ. Removing him from the lineup would also get rid of the hack-a-DJ. It sounds crazy to bench him but he is bringing us down. I liked the early hook by Vinny tonight, might say that was a good coaching move.