PDA

View Full Version : Another "1 and Done" Thread

topdog
03-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Bear with me, but I was just watching the CBS NCAA Basketball Pre-game show and they brought up the subject of "1 and done" and how it is not optimal for college basketball or the NBA.

I know that there would be some legal alterations necessary with regards to amateur rules, but wouldn't the best solution involve allowing players to enter the draft whenever they choose, but also to be able to remain in college for as long as they want (much like internationals often stay a season or so longer in their home country)?

This would allow players to secure the safety of a contract (that would start their first year in the league and guarantee a first year payout) while also helping college basketball to be more competitive, players to better develop with additional coaching and playing time and the NBA to have more players ready to make an immediate impact.

Dade County
03-30-2013, 03:36 PM
What about the college football players, can they do this too? And the female college ball players?

I like the idea, but as long as they fix whats going on with the football teams first!

RenegadeRiot36
03-30-2013, 03:59 PM
Its actually a pretty interesting idea. For the people that understand it (I didnt at first), think Ricky Rubio. He was drafted by the Wolves and they held his rights while he played in Spain for a few years. It would definately prevent situations like Josh Childress and keep kids in school, while increasing the level of skill entering the NBA.

Teams would probably be against it though because of injury risks associated with it. And expiration of rights would have to be dictated too. If you look at they system in baseball, teams often draft players that have no interest in going into the organization. So, the players forfeit their draft status, play in college, and go in the draft again. Another fear would be depleting the NBA incoming rookie stock for three years or so until the system catches up with itself.

rocket
03-30-2013, 04:09 PM
What about the college football players, can they do this too? And the female college ball players?

I like the idea, but as long as they fix whats going on with the football teams first!

College football you can't go one and done.

topdog
03-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Its actually a pretty interesting idea. For the people that understand it (I didnt at first), think Ricky Rubio. He was drafted by the Wolves and they held his rights while he played in Spain for a few years. It would definately prevent situations like Josh Childress and keep kids in school, while increasing the level of skill entering the NBA.

Teams would probably be against it though because of injury risks associated with it. And expiration of rights would have to be dictated too. If you look at they system in baseball, teams often draft players that have no interest in going into the organization. So, the players forfeit their draft status, play in college, and go in the draft again. Another fear would be depleting the NBA incoming rookie stock for three years or so until the system catches up with itself.

Sorry if it was unclear. For others who didn't catch my drift, the basic idea is allowing players to remain in college after being drafted. It is similar to European players often remaining with their teams for a year or two after being drafted, but I think some guarantee of a first year's pay would be necessary to keep American players playing college ball after being drafted.

As far as the concerns stated:
1. Injury risks are present at all levels. Remember Oden needed surgery after a Summer League game.
2. The rule with international players wanting to re-enter the draft is that they have to sit out of competition for a year. I would assume the same sort of rule would apply here. (Which could also make transfers interesting)
3. Drafts have already been diminished by one-and-done. It simply would be an opportunity for veteran players to have a second or a last chance and teams would end up in similar situations either way 3 years later - having a developed player that either a.had been getting minutes in the d-league/off the bench or b.played a couple more college seasons

Cal827
03-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Love the Idea. :clap: