PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons: "Erik Spoelstra has to be the Coach of the Year. Has to. Has to."

gotoHcarolina52
03-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Let's say LeBron sucked in Game 6 in Boston last spring. You know what Spo is doing right now? Probably sitting on a First Take set listening to Skip Bayless crush LeBron, smiling thinly and bemoaning what happened to his career. Instead, Spo captured a title and enough leeway to experiment with Miami's offense — radically, I might add — flipping small ball around in ways that just didn't seem possible. Five shooters on the floor at once? No center whatsoever? A slew of interconnected high screens running 25 feet from the basket? Perimeter players posting up and low-post players shooting 20-footers?

Again — this was a risk. And I think Spoelstra took it for two reasons. One, he never totally embraced what he had in LeBron until those final few playoff games, when LeBron created the never-before-seen position of power point guard. You can almost imagine Spo saying, Wait, so you're going to run the offense like Magic, post up like Bird, run the floor like Barkley and score whenever you want like Jordan? And you're going to do this for 40 minutes a game while defending the other team's most dangerous scorer? The least I can do is make basketball as fun as humanly possible for you, my friend.

And that's how this played out. Eschewing shot blockers and rebounders, asking Shane Battier to defend bigger players, giving LeBron an inhumane two-way responsibility and hoping he never broke down, appealing to their competitiveness and sense of history … these were all calculated risks, and nobody knew better than Spoelstra that he'd get the credit if it worked. News flash: It worked. As Zach Lowe broke down in Tuesday's Grantland piece, these 2013 Heat are already one of the best ball-movement teams ever assembled — along with the Russell-Cousy Celtics, Holzman's Knicks, Walton's Blazers, Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics, and on a less successful level, Webber's Kings and Nash's Suns. They're reinventing offensive basketball as we know it.

In the old days, movement was everything. That's why people still wax poetically about Bill Bradley throwing back-door passes to Walt Frazier, or Portland mixing Bill Walton's potent outlet passes with his equally devastating half-court passing. Without a 3-point line, everyone played the same way — you kept moving, you kept setting picks, you kept trying to get layups, and you ran every chance you could. And that spilled into the 1980s with Magic's Lakers (who blended fast breaks with half-court basketball better than anyone ever) and Bird's Celtics (at their apex, an oversize, comically intelligent team that treated possessions almost like they were hockey power plays), as everyone came to believe size and speed mattered most (in that order). Jordan's Bulls flipped it the other way — putting a bigger emphasis on defense and one-on-one scoring — and as the league became more diluted, you needed only two elite scorers and a good defensive foundation to contend.

These last 15 years, teams started valuing 3-pointers more and more, leading to the Seven Seconds or Less Suns and even Orlando's 2009 team (basically, Dwight Howard and a bunch of shooters). Now we have Miami, a team that has figured out how to blend that old-school movement with the new trend of embracing long-range shooting, corner 3s and everything else that a computer program spits out with "DO THIS!!!!!" in big bold letters. If you can shoot 3s well enough to take more than 20 a game, here's what happens: You score more points, and you get more offensive rebounds off the long bounces. There's no downside. Look at the 3-point attempt leaders right now: The top nine teams (except Portland) are all headed for the playoffs, and no. 6 and no. 9 are battling for home-court advantage. For the 3-point percentage leaders, the top five teams are headed for the playoffs (including Miami, San Antonio and Oklahoma City, the three best teams right now). Spoelstra sniffed this out, embraced it and made it a crucial part of Miami's game.

2012: 15.6 attempted 3s (23rd), 35.9 percent shooting (ninth).
2013: 21.2 attempted 3s (ninth), 39.1 percent shooting (second).

And look, emphasizing more 3s … that's replicable. You know what isn't replicable? LEBRON JAMES. Nobody has anyone remotely like him, and when you watch the way LeBron makes his teammates better game after game after game — always getting them the right shots, always finding the right balance between his offense and getting everyone else involved — you'd have to say that Spoelstra succeeded here. He wanted to build a special limited-edition Formula One race car, something that only the league's most uniquely skilled player could drive … and he did it. Watching LeBron run this Heat team feels like Bird and the '86 Celtics or Magic and the '87 Lakers all over again. In other words, the team fits the player. And that's why Erik Spoelstra has to be the Coach of the Year. Has to. Has to.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9111798/the-heat-hindsight

Interesting take, but slim chance Spoelstra gets it, right? Not with LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc. on that team. But if not Spoelstra, then whom? Pop? George Karl? Mark Jackson?

seikou8
03-29-2013, 04:13 PM
its george karl or mark jaskson and its not close

MaloDaw9
03-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Bill Simmons...Nuff said.

haggis
03-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Surprised Simmons didn't vote for Doc

Tony_Starks
03-29-2013, 04:19 PM
It's hard for me to take anything he says seriously. He also said Miami was going to win out and then sweep the playoffs.

theheatles
03-29-2013, 04:21 PM
has to.

gotoHcarolina52
03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Surprised Simmons didn't vote for Doc

LOL. I'm equally surprised that earlier in the same article he came out and openly professed his "hate" for various teams:

I hate five teams and only five: the Lakers, Yankees, Heat, Canadiens and New York Giants. My children will never be allowed to root for those five teams. It's just non-negotiable.

JLynn943
03-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Given Miami's success, it's not like it's an absurd idea. I'd love to see George Karl get it though.

seikou8
03-29-2013, 04:27 PM
LOL. I'm equally surprised that earlier in the same article he came out and openly professed his "hate" for various teams:

he hates two teams i root for **** him lol

Sactown
03-29-2013, 04:36 PM
I disagree, SPO has taken a team to where they should be, dominatly atop the east... There are many more surprise teams..

Honestly as much as it kills me, Mark Jackson should be near the top.. I hate this guy, but his team has provided results beyond expectation.. Hollins deserves some consideration since the Grizzlies didn't skip a beat when the team went in a different direction.

ManRam
03-29-2013, 04:37 PM
motivation is a HUGE part of coaching, especially in the regular season. how he's motivated a team that really has ("had", I guess, until the streak) nothing to gain in the regular season to play their best ball night in and night out is a huge accomplishment.

best coach? nah. but he coached the team that set the 2nd best streak ever. give it to him.

and it's cute how people write simmons off like he's some skip bayless or something. that's a joke.

5ass
03-29-2013, 04:38 PM
I disagree, SPO has taken a team to where they should be, dominatly atop the east... There are many more surprise teams..

Honestly as much as it kills me, Mark Jackson should be near the top.. I hate this guy, but his team has provided results beyond expectation.. Hollins deserves some consideration since the Grizzlies didn't skip a beat when the team went in a different direction.

Lebron can make any coach look like a HOFer.

Ezio
03-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Even with the streak they are only 2 games ahead of the Spurs. It's Pops to lose.

5ass
motivation is a HUGE part of coaching, especially in the regular season. how he's motivated a team that really has ("had", I guess, until the streak) nothing to gain in the regular season to play their best ball night in and night out is a huge accomplishment.

best coach? nah. but he coached the team that set the 2nd best streak ever. give it to him.

and it's cute how people write simmons off like he's some skip bayless or something. that's a joke.

I really dont think thats true, even when they were on the 27 game winstreak. There were times when it was just Lebron out there, but Lebron is that good.

DallasTrilla23
Coach of the Year HAS to go to my man George Karl.

Sactown
03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Coach of the Year HAS to go to my man George Karl.

I actually disagree with this.. George Carl has a lot of talent on that roster, and some experts had them pegged as high as #1 seed in the west.. I didn't think it was possible but many did. They have tremendous depth and about 6-10 players that would start on most teams in the league.. 4th in the West isn't a disappointment by any means, but it isn't a huge shocker either.

Big Zo
03-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Best record in the league, second longest winning streak ever, and coming off a championship season, with everyone already gunning for them. Spo has a REALLY good case.

ManRam
03-29-2013, 04:49 PM
I really dont think thats true, even when they were on the 27 game winstreak. There were times when it was just Lebron out there, but Lebron is that good.

sure, they had some really slow starts in the last 2-3 weeks of that and struggled at times, but the point stands. they won 27 games in a row...as the defending champions who had the #1 seed wrapped up. they had no incentive to do what they just did.

lebron is certainly THAT good. at times he'd carry them on his lonesome. but still. i think Spo does deserve a ton of the credit here. lebron's motor and desire to win is so underrated and disrespected at times, and he was certainly the one guy who showed up night in and night out and who clearly was giving 100%....but still, Spo deserves some credit.

i'm not gonna say i'm undoubtedly correct in that Spo's motivation has played a huge role, but i genuinely have always felt that in the regular season motivation is one of, if not the most important things. and by all accounts he does a phenomenal job at that (well, overshot it slightly...if only they didn't start off so slow)

27 games is insane. with or without lebron. spo deserves a share of the credit.

and people surprised with what Denver did shouldn't be. this was predictable if you were looking in the right areas and didn't get caught up with them not having a superstar. ie, jon hollinger nailed it

ElChinoLatino
03-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Georgie or Mark Action Jackson Flaxon Waxon.

ElChinoLatino
03-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Best record in the league, second longest winning streak ever, and coming off a championship season, with everyone already gunning for them. Spo has a REALLY good case.

Anyone with 3 superstars in their team has a good case. Anyone with LeBron has a good case, e. i. Mike Brown.

kdspurman
03-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Even with the streak they are only 2 games ahead of the Spurs. It's Pops to lose.

I agree with this. Pop also has dealt with injuries to important pieces in Parker, Leonard, and Timmy and was able to get role players to come in and make an impact, while also resting players here and there.

I dont think there's any question at this point. Karl comes to mind next followed by Marc Jackson though the warriors play has been up/down this year

J4KOP99
03-29-2013, 05:11 PM
sure, they had some really slow starts in the last 2-3 weeks of that and struggled at times, but the point stands. they won 27 games in a row...as the defending champions who had the #1 seed wrapped up. they had no incentive to do what they just did.

lebron is certainly THAT good. at times he'd carry them on his lonesome. but still. i think Spo does deserve a ton of the credit here. lebron's motor and desire to win is so underrated and disrespected at times, and he was certainly the one guy who showed up night in and night out and who clearly was giving 100%....but still, Spo deserves some credit.

i'm not gonna say i'm undoubtedly correct in that Spo's motivation has played a huge role, but i genuinely have always felt that in the regular season motivation is one of, if not the most important things. and by all accounts he does a phenomenal job at that.

27 games is insane. with or without lebron. spo deserves a share of the credit.

Which is it?

-Spo is not winning coach of the year, nor does he deserve it. When a team has the #1 player in the league, an arguable top 5 when fully engaged, a top 5-7 big man, and some of the all-time greatest role players, I think the coach's main job is to stay out of the way.

A lot of your posts come off sounding like you are over-compensating for your hate of the heat by giving them unnecessary props... You are psd's reverse Jay Bilas.

The heat are damn good. The heat were supposed to be damn good. Spo seems to be a solid coach but he is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing. Unless the heat broke the 72-10 record, he will not win a COY.

-As for Simmons, little logic was used. Nothing new here. I guess 27 games is "insane" but it's closer to the Rockets' streak of 22 than it is the Lakers record of 33... seems like we are blowing things a little out of proportion here, aren't we?

I don't really know what you or Simmons are basing this off of. Simply because the media and fans think he's a bad coach, is that why he "deserves" it? "Let's prove them wrong!"

-Here's a little precedence for COY: remember that Houston Rockets streak I brought up before? The coach of the Rockets that year was Rick Adelman. 22 game winning streak, no Yao AND houston made the playoffs. That, in my opinion, is more impressive than this Heat streak, butthat's besides the point... needless to say, Adelman did NOT win COY. Instead, it went to Byron Scott of NO.

Spo will not win COY, nor does he deserve it.

ChitownSports16
03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Gotta go to Pops

ManRam
03-29-2013, 05:25 PM
Which is it?

-Spo is not winning coach of the year, nor does he deserve it. When a team has the #1 player in the league, an arguable top 5 when fully engaged, a top 5-7 big man, and some of the all-time greatest role players, I think the coach's main job is to stay out of the way.

A lot of your posts come off sounding like you are over-compensating for your hate of the heat by giving them unnecessary props... You are psd's reverse Jay Bilas.

The heat are damn good. The heat were supposed to be damn good. Spo seems to be a solid coach but he is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing. Unless the heat broke the 72-10 record, he will not win a COY.

-As for Simmons, little logic was used. Nothing new here. I guess 27 games is "insane" but it's closer to the Rockets' streak of 22 than it is the Lakers record of 33... seems like we are blowing things a little out of proportion here, aren't we?

I don't really know what you or Simmons are basing this off of. Simply because the media and fans think he's a bad coach, is that why he "deserves" it? "Let's prove them wrong!"

-Here's a little precedence for COY: remember that Houston Rockets streak I brought up before? The coach of the Rockets that year was Rick Adelman. 22 game winning streak, no Yao AND houston made the playoffs. That, in my opinion, is more impressive than this Heat streak, butthat's besides the point... needless to say, Adelman did NOT win COY. Instead, it went to Byron Scott of NO.

Spo will not win COY, nor does he deserve it.

"some", "a ton", "a share" ;)

i don't know. haha. i'm not extremely passionate about it. he deserves credit for it, period. deciding how much is probably something we're not qualified to answer since none of us actually know how well of a motivator he is, what he's saying to his players and how effective it truly is.

and i think it's enough to warrant him winning it. i'll just leave it at that.

rockbottom2010
03-29-2013, 05:26 PM
has to...secondly longest winning streak not only in nba history...in sports history

KnicksorBust
03-29-2013, 05:26 PM
Nice. Another season where Pop should win the award but wont.

29$JerZ
03-29-2013, 05:29 PM
He may win it based on their winning streak alone but guys like Pop and even Woodson who I'm very harsh on have done a phenomenal job this season compared to Erik.

--23--
03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
nope... it belongs to Pop or George Karl

ManRam
03-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Nice. Another season where Pop should win the award but wont.

i mean, just like the mvp award, this **** goes to coaches for all the wrong reasons incredibly frequently. pops is without a shadow of a doubt the best coach in the nba, but he has very little of a "story" here. the team is playing at an identical pace to what they've done the past 2 seasons.

i don't think "Spo should win it because of the win streak and how well he's motivated players who essentially have no reason to actually care about the regular season" is actually a good reason to give the award to the guy...but that's how it works. it isn't the "best coach award", unfortunately

Bravo95
03-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Karl.

justinnum1
03-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Can't wait to see the reaction here if he gets it.

Jamiecballer
03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
as usual i think Simmons is bang on.

melding guys of that talent into a unit that functions that well is an incredible feat. we've seen how important a job that is just by observing the Lakers, haven't we?

nickdymez
03-29-2013, 06:01 PM

No he doesn't homer

nickdymez
03-29-2013, 06:03 PM

melding guys of that talent into a unit that functions that well is an incredible feat. we've seen how important a job that is just by observing the Lakers, haven't we?

The Lakers have had staggering injuries to just about every player on the starting line-up. And three different coaches. Try again

J4KOP99
03-29-2013, 06:03 PM

and how many coy awards did phil win for that?

-In fact, how many coy awards has phil won?

Jamiecballer
03-29-2013, 06:28 PM
The Lakers have had staggering injuries to just about every player on the starting line-up. And three different coaches. Try again

the biggest injuries they've suffered are the ones they have inflicted upon themselves

Jamiecballer
03-29-2013, 06:29 PM
and how many coy awards did phil win for that?

-In fact, how many coy awards has phil won?

what does that have to do with the discussion at hand? i thought we were debating whether he should or shouldn't win?

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-29-2013, 06:30 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9111798/the-heat-hindsight

Interesting take, but slim chance Spoelstra gets it, right? Not with LeBron, Wade, Bosh, etc. on that team. But if not Spoelstra, then whom? Pop? George Karl? Mark Jackson?

A monkey could coach that stacked team to a ship.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-29-2013, 06:32 PM

Yup.

TyrionLannister
03-29-2013, 06:39 PM
George Karl should get it but I wouldn't be surprised if Spoelstra got it due to the streak.

IgglesFanInCO
03-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Pop is who deserves it

I find it funny that George Karl gets so much attention in this when hes still on the hot seat as far as nuggets fans are concerned

People need to give more credit to the talent on the nuggets roster rather than Karl himself, as a nuggets fan I dont even find Karl a top 10-15 coach anymore, he doesnt even have his competitive fire

Greet
03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
People picking Karl over Pop? C'mon now

SportsFanatic10
03-29-2013, 07:40 PM
i still don't think spo is a great coach, just ok. but with the season miami has had i could see him getting it.

J4KOP99
03-29-2013, 07:40 PM
what does that have to do with the discussion at hand? i thought we were debating whether he should or shouldn't win?

go read your post again. In your attempt to make a witty comment about the current Lakers struggles, you actually proved an entirely different point. You never specified which Lakers you were talking about... I took it as a compliment being paid to the Phil Jackson lakers that had far worse chemistry issues than the current Miami heat have.

Phil molded those players into a well-functioning unit that won 5 championships in a decades span.... yet he never won the coach of the year.

Further proving my original point that Spo will not win it this year.

Is that easier to understand?

Chronz
03-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Im a firm believer that the COY should never have the MVP on his team.

Jamiecballer
03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
go read your post again. In your attempt to make a witty comment about the current Lakers struggles, you actually proved an entirely different point. You never specified which Lakers you were talking about... I took it as a compliment being paid to the Phil Jackson lakers that had far worse chemistry issues than the current Miami heat have.

Phil molded those players into a well-functioning unit that won 5 championships in a decades span.... yet he never won the coach of the year.

Further proving my original point that Spo will not win it this year.

Is that easier to understand?

got it. so you aren't debating whether he should win it, like the rest of us. thanks for clarifying. now that we've established that you are in the wrong thread, perhaps you can take your attitude elsewhere.

Purple_n_Gold
03-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Simmons is a closet Heat fan. I know real celtics fans must cringe when they hear this moron speak. George Karl should get it easily IMO. Sorry not easily Pop or him i meant. Pop is the best coach in the league. People always write the spurs off but you never can with him at the helm. On a side note does it bother any of you Celtic fans the way this guy is? He sucks the **** of the Heat all the time and the heat and celts hate each other. I know he's got to praise somewhat because he's on national TV, but its an all out love fest going on. Pretty pathetic.

Purple_n_Gold
03-29-2013, 08:45 PM
As far as making them have chemistry that is a stupid thing to post. We do remember they all planned this together right? They all planned to play together. They are best friends. I think that has a little more to do with their relationship than the coach. C'mon. Think.

RLundi
03-29-2013, 08:55 PM
COY of the year usually goes to a coach of a surprise team no one expected to be good or that overachieved. This year, I say it goes to one of Mark Jackson, Kevin McHale or George Karl.

Jamiecballer
03-29-2013, 08:56 PM
As far as making them have chemistry that is a stupid thing to post. We do remember they all planned this together right? They all planned to play together. They are best friends. I think that has a little more to do with their relationship than the coach. C'mon. Think.

chemistry is more than liking each other. think.

Purple_n_Gold
03-29-2013, 08:59 PM
So you don't have chemistry with your best friend? You couldn't work things out more with someone who is your best friend? There isn't more understanding than with someone who you are just a coworker with? If you dont think being best friends with someone is a big part of having chemistry you need to get your GED. If there's anyone who needs to think it is you. Or better yet just stop posting its a waste of your time.

Jamiecballer
03-29-2013, 09:21 PM
So you don't have chemistry with your best friend? You couldn't work things out more with someone who is your best friend? There isn't more understanding than with someone who you are just a coworker with? If you dont think being best friends with someone is a big part of having chemistry you need to get your GED. If there's anyone who needs to think it is you. Or better yet just stop posting its a waste of your time.
:laugh:

Purple_n_Gold
03-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Wow you know how to use smiley faces to express yourself. I just taught my 2 year old nephew to do that too. I should let him talk to you your intelligence levels are more similar.

RLundi
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Wow you know how to use smiley faces to express yourself. I just taught my 2 year old nephew to do that too. I should let him talk to you your intelligence levels are more similar.

You're teaching your 2-year old nephew...? May God be with him.

Hopefully you aren't teaching the poor kid how to debate in even a pseudo-logical or articulate way, because you, my intellectually-unarmed friend, have not yet mastered the art of thinking, much less having a discussion that doesn't end in "duhh" followed by uncontrollable drooling.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Simmons is a closet Heat fan. I know real celtics fans must cringe when they hear this moron speak. George Karl should get it easily IMO. Sorry not easily Pop or him i meant. Pop is the best coach in the league. People always write the spurs off but you never can with him at the helm. On a side note does it bother any of you Celtic fans the way this guy is? He sucks the **** of the Heat all the time and the heat and celts hate each other. I know he's got to praise somewhat because he's on national TV, but its an all out love fest going on. Pretty pathetic.

It doesn't bother me at all because most of the time he's right:shrug: And if you follow him on Twitter you'd definitely know he's still Boston at heart.

lvlheaded
03-29-2013, 10:15 PM
George Karl is the coach of the year. No disrespect to Spo, but when LeBron plays the way hes played this year, its hard to **** it up. Give me Karl, Spo, Jackson in that order for COY. Pop is in there too, but after those 3 IMO

Purple_n_Gold
03-29-2013, 10:24 PM

Hopefully you aren't teaching the poor kid how to debate in even a pseudo-logical or articulate way, because you, my intellectually-unarmed friend, have not yet mastered the art of thinking, much less having a discussion that doesn't end in "duhh" followed by uncontrollable drooling.
He mad. Lol. Sorry bro you are not to be taken seriously. He mad. I'll take it as a compliment you trolling to comment on my posts that have nothing to do with you though. He mad. Ms Winfrey. He mad.

basch152
03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Streaks are overrated.

In their 72 win season, the bulls had a streak of 30-1, but because that loss was in the middle instead of at the end or the beginning it's not as impressive? Give me a break.

RLundi
03-29-2013, 10:37 PM
He mad. Lol. Sorry bro you are not to be taken seriously. He mad. I'll take it as a compliment you trolling to comment on my posts that have nothing to do with you though. He mad. Ms Winfrey. He mad.

Take it however you want "bro." Doesn't change the fact that your posts in this thread are completely nonsensical and befitting of a minor that can't make decent arguments :)

Oh, he definitely mad.

Jamiecballer
03-29-2013, 10:54 PM

ok good - it's not just me.

koreancabbage
03-29-2013, 10:56 PM
A monkey could coach that stacked team to a ship.

i bet that you can't. so what does that make you?

JasonJohnHorn
03-30-2013, 12:30 AM
Coach of the year generally goes to either the coach who got the most wins, or the coach who helped a team improve/overachieve.

The thing working against Spo is the perception that LBJ runs the team. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not, but Spo also has to work against the expectation that with a roster as good as Miami's, anything less than the best record in the league is a failure, so even if he does secure the best record, he's just doing his job. He's got 4 HOFers on his roster.

Guys I have in mind for COY are Pop (as always, he's doing a fantastic job with an aging roster that just seems timeless whilst also balancing injuries) and Mark Jackson (who has done very well with GS this season).

I'm not opposed to Vogel and Woodson getting it. Though the Knicks have seemed to cool as the season went along, a lot of that is due to injury. Woodson has been great for the Knicks, and with Granger out all year, I think most people fairly expected the Pacers to struggle, but they are playing better ball than they were with Granger.

And speaking of injury depleted roster, Thibs also gets a nod here.

Scott Brooks and Spo are both going to have a hard time getting COY because of how talented their rosters are. VDN may also have a hard time because I think many perceive CP3 as the coach of that team.

GSRaider
03-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Mark Jackson or George Karl...

Yankeefan213
03-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Why is Pop not getting any love here?

Raps18-19 Champ
03-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Not a fan of Spo. He's a product of the Heat.

jchase3
03-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't understand how Bill Simmons even has a job as an analyst. Besides Doug Gottlieb, Simmons is the worst sports analyst there is.

TopsyTurvy
03-30-2013, 02:27 PM
I agree with Simmons, but I think that the year-in-year-out mentality of how the Heat have improved detracts from Spo's perceived ability to coach well enough to win the award. There have been three solid pillars of talent on that team (including one of the greatest players of all time) and a piecemeal hodgepodge of talent surrounding them. I would love for Spo to win coach of year, but I can't see it happening anytime soon as long as there are coaches doing more with less, more upheaval, etc..

Add to that the perception that Spoelstra kept Miami from winning a title earlier and I don't think Spo gets credit until the dynasty is well on it's way - even then, I think he will be seen as a second tier coach. Really NBA fans just have to ask themselves the following question, "when have I wished Spoelstra was the coach of my team?" When the aggregate answer to that question is, "all the time," I think Spo has a chance. His other opportunity fell with the streak.

wordup45
03-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Mike D'antoni for having the guts to coach a trainwreck that is my Lakers...

NYMetros
03-30-2013, 03:16 PM
I love Simmons but don't agree with him here. Pop or Karl for me.

bucketss
03-30-2013, 03:21 PM
give it to dantoni for even attempting to coach one of the most selfish players that has ever touched a basketball.

flclfanman
03-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Miami lives and dies by Lebron. He goes down and the baby of Phil Jackson and Superman couldn't that team any further. Spo has the luxury of utilizing arguable the most versatile athlete EVER in his schemes. Not complete rocket science; Mike Brown has a COY trophy in his cabinet thanks too Lebron as well.

Just give it to Pop and be done with it.

How he keeps producing 50 win seasons with those AARP applicants is beyond me :shrug:

Slug3
03-30-2013, 06:25 PM
I wouldn't call him coach of the year as I like it to go to a surprise team that is doing good.

But some of your fans seriously sit hit and say he is only good cause of his team. Yet no one wants to say the same thing about Pop, Phil, Riley. I mean these coaches got some of the best basketball players to ever play the game and you all put them on the top. Why is it ok for them to be good coahes and coach great players, but Spo is only doing good cause of his players.

flclfanman
03-31-2013, 04:02 AM
I wouldn't call him coach of the year as I like it to go to a surprise team that is doing good.

But some of your fans seriously sit hit and say he is only good cause of his team. Yet no one wants to say the same thing about Pop, Phil, Riley. I mean these coaches got some of the best basketball players to ever play the game and you all put them on the top. Why is it ok for them to be good coahes and coach great players, but Spo is only doing good cause of his players.

2 of 3 coaches you mentioned have won championships with different teams and Pop hasn't logged a <50 win season since 1998, nearly 15 FRIGGIN YEARS. He's won games without his best 3 players, some of those happened in the playoffs. Track record is already there.

dtmagnet
03-31-2013, 01:43 PM
Lots of good candidates this year, Popovich is my pick but George Karl and Mark Jackson would also be good picks, also Vogel of the Pacers.

nickdymez
03-31-2013, 02:02 PM
give it to dantoni for even attempting to coach one of the most selfish players that has ever touched a basketball.

trollololol

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-31-2013, 02:17 PM
i bet that you can't. so what does that make you?

I know for a fact I would be a better coach than Dantoni, So I don't think I would have a problem coaching a top three most stacked team ever.

D-Leethal
03-31-2013, 02:19 PM
I know for a fact I would be a better coach than Dantoni, So I don't think I would have a problem coaching a top three most stacked team ever.

Yea, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to run a practice let alone gameplan for an NBA game.

Slug3
03-31-2013, 03:01 PM

Then if he is such a bad coach and can get a coaching job why can't you?

D-Leethal
03-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Since no Heat fan answered my question in the 'most underrated HC' thread, weren't Heat fans pretty much unanimously begging for this guy to get fired during the playoffs last year right up until the finals?

What changed in his approach that makes everyone jump on his nuts now?

I've always thought it was a good coach, just saying.

Hardaway Here
03-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Since no Heat fan answered my question in the 'most underrated HC' thread, weren't Heat fans pretty much unanimously begging for this guy to get fired during the playoffs last year right up until the finals?

What changed in his approach that makes everyone jump on his nuts now?

I've always thought it was a good coach, just saying.

I wouldn't say everyone was saying that, but when teams don't perform the way you expect its natural for people to blame the coach. I just take it in strides he was the coach before Lebron and will most likely still be when Lebron is gone. He was always a good coach not great but he was never horrible.

Big Zo
03-31-2013, 05:22 PM

So your beloved Lakers are in shambles, and you're just gonna sit around and scratch your ***? What's wrong with you? Contact the Buss family IMMEDIATELY!

ATX
03-31-2013, 05:52 PM

:laugh:

The ego....

Chronz
03-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Yea, I'm sure you wouldn't be able to run a practice let alone gameplan for an NBA game.

+1

Height of hubris for the win.

Vinylman
03-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Pop is who deserves it

I find it funny that George Karl gets so much attention in this when hes still on the hot seat as far as nuggets fans are concerned

People need to give more credit to the talent on the nuggets roster rather than Karl himself, as a nuggets fan I dont even find Karl a top 10-15 coach anymore, he doesnt even have his competitive fire

someone gets it :hi5: