PDA

View Full Version : Matt Barnes: Ref Grades Should Be Public

Clippersfan86
03-29-2013, 01:16 PM
http://m.ocregister.com/sports/barnes-501758-public-technicals.html

Agree or disagree? I personally agree and am tired of inconsistent reffing.

D-Leethal
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM
There should be some sort of checks and balances or independent 3rd party evaluation. Something outside of the NBA umbrella to maintain the integrity of the sport.

ManRam
03-29-2013, 01:21 PM
contrary to popular belief, i don't think refs intentionally suck or anything like that. i think it's by far the hardest sport to officiate fairly and consistently, and blown calls happen and are going to happen frequently.

i'm not sure what making those grads public would do to help them perform better.

the question is what does the NBA do with that information they have. again, i'm not sure a public knowledge would do much to help that. it's kinda blind faith, but i don't think public knowledge is going to lead to fruitful progress. all it would do is lead to head-hunting, which i guess isn't bad but isn't how you actually fix the problem.

Slug3
03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Ther are good and bads with this. I mean we want to know who sucks. But could you imagine the backlash with a low grade ref reffing a game? He makes a bad call or missing a big call it would just open up a can of worms.

LeperMessiah
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
I don't like this star/grudge treatment they like to hadn out.

He115ing
03-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I agree with Barnes. The refs are so bad sometimes that I begin to think that they are being paid to make or not make calls. And some are just outright horrible, looking at you Joey Crawford.

Sactown
03-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I agree, if they want to make every Tech public, and how much each player gets fined, the Refs grades should be public as well... He a good argument.

JiffyMix88
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
Yeah as much as I can't stand Barnes he's right.

C+ Over or under for Joey Crawford?

VendettaRed07
03-29-2013, 01:41 PM
No it would kill the sport. Would lead to endless excuses and people raging because their team lost with a ref that had anything less than a perfect grading

ManRam
03-29-2013, 01:48 PM
No it would kill the sport. Would lead to endless excuses and people raging because their team lost with a ref that had anything less than a perfect grading

this forum would be horrendous if ref grades were public. you can already tell that half the people here don't watch the games rather they watch the refs. the amount of complaining would just skyrocket.

making it public isn't gonna make the refs do better. that's not what the problem is.

thephoenixson28
03-29-2013, 01:50 PM
They should have a end of the year grades. If you are lower than a certain grade then you will be replaced.

Sly Guy
03-29-2013, 02:02 PM
There should be some sort of checks and balances or independent 3rd party evaluation. Something outside of the NBA umbrella to maintain the integrity of the sport.

I agree with this, but that may not be in the best interest of profitability, so I doubt these kinds of checks and balances are ever implemented.

JLynn943
03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
I don't like this star/grudge treatment they like to hadn out.

Agreed. I'll give them that it's a hard game to referee, but there's no excuse for holding a grudge against a player or team or for giving stars the benefit of the doubt so much.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-29-2013, 02:21 PM
yeah as much as i can't stand barnes he's right.

C+ over or under for joey crawford?

f

Jamiecballer
03-29-2013, 02:22 PM
really stupid idea. i mean i understand why people complain but this is the wrong way to go about it. public shaming never works and only creates a combative dynamic between employee/employer.

D-Leethal
03-29-2013, 02:39 PM
this forum would be horrendous if ref grades were public. you can already tell that half the people here don't watch the games rather they watch the refs. the amount of complaining would just skyrocket.

making it public isn't gonna make the refs do better. that's not what the problem is.

It could help stop targeting certain players, preferential treatment to certain players, the trends of certain officials officiating and certain teams winning would be plain as day for all to see along with the bad calls made by said ref in said games. The refs have a tremendous impact on the games, and I think the fans who pay, the players who play and the bookies who gamble all deserve to have the peace of mind that the game's integrity is not compromised by the refs.

Everything else is public, I don't see why this shouldn't be. The league should be transparent.

D-Leethal
03-29-2013, 02:43 PM
I'll use Knicks as an example, many Knick fans believes Melo doesn't get the star calls that most stars get, I personally think its about 1/4 true and about 3/4's Melo jumping into multiple defenders looking for calls, but if refs were not making these calls for whatever reason, the whole world would know Melo is getting jipped if they are missing calls on him on a nightly basis. If not, Knicks fans could shut the **** up about it. Its a win-win for everyone, I don't see how assuring the public the games are officiated fair and consistently is a bad thing.

ThaDubs
03-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Enough people already complain about the outcome of games having to do with the refs. We don't need that number to multiply. Both calls in the Bulls game were 100% correct, and people still were complaining about how the refs gave them that game. Can you imagine if those (well-made) calls were made by a low-grade ref?

D-Leethal
03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Enough people already complain about the outcome of games having to do with the refs. We don't need that number to multiply. Both calls in the Bulls game were 100% correct, and people still were complaining about how the refs gave them that game. Can you imagine if those (well-made) calls were made by a low-grade ref?

This would also serve as a deterrent. People complain about calls whether they were bad calls or not. If they weren't bad calls, we would know this, and nobody could complain about it.

Zefflin
03-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Probably the smartest thing Barnes has said...although I'd like to imagine the players calling their own fouls would be even better...expose the ******* of the league.

rockbottom2010
03-29-2013, 03:30 PM
refs been horrible all year long

Shammyguy3
03-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Ther are good and bads with this. I mean we want to know who sucks. But could you imagine the backlash with a low grade ref reffing a game? He makes a bad call or missing a big call it would just open up a can of worms.

agree with the two comments above

Dade County
03-29-2013, 04:52 PM
The refs need to be put through a lie detector test too.

All those phantom calls on Jordan... And what spawn form it, this new age super star treatment calls is ridicules.

They should have to answer to the media after the game too... I mean, have a big screen TV, right next to the Ref, and have the reporter be able to go over 1 play with that Ref ( and every reporter in the room gets a crack at it ).

Whatever it takes.

Also players need to be investigated too, I feel that some of them have their own agenda.

the_antz_nest
03-29-2013, 05:19 PM
contrary to popular belief, i don't think refs intentionally suck or anything like that. i think it's by far the hardest sport to officiate fairly and consistently, and blown calls happen and are going to happen frequently.

i'm not sure what making those grads public would do to help them perform better.

the question is what does the NBA do with that information they have. again, i'm not sure a public knowledge would do much to help that. it's kinda blind faith, but i don't think public knowledge is going to lead to fruitful progress. all it would do is lead to head-hunting, which i guess isn't bad but isn't how you actually fix the problem.

that and Football (soccer depending on where you are).

Having a season ticket to Premiere league side. i really question the reffing in football. but thats a different story for another forum. league officiating is getting difficult wiht the athletes now days like lebron. to big to fast..

ManRam
03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
It could help stop targeting certain players, preferential treatment to certain players, the trends of certain officials officiating and certain teams winning would be plain as day for all to see along with the bad calls made by said ref in said games. The refs have a tremendous impact on the games, and I think the fans who pay, the players who play and the bookies who gamble all deserve to have the peace of mind that the game's integrity is not compromised by the refs.

Everything else is public, I don't see why this shouldn't be. The league should be transparent.

maybe i see this all differently because i don't think the preferential treatment is often much ado about nothing. i think "star calls" are easily explainable by obvious factors...and that they get more calls for totally legit reasons. i don't think there is any sort of conspiracy, nor do i think refs actually give a damn about pleasing certain players. every player spews **** at refs every game. they hear it from them all. they aren't scared. there's no incentive to give preferential treatment (though, subconsciously there might very well be)

not everything needs to be transparent either. maybe i have too much trust in the league, but yeah.

BULLSFAN0810
03-29-2013, 11:26 PM

great post. to further elaborate i think all sports should have a 3rd party eval. there is tooo much money on the tables in vegas for it not to be.

03-30-2013, 12:54 AM
They should have a end of the year grades. If you are lower than a certain grade then you will be replaced.

i think the NBA probably does this anyway

amos1er
03-30-2013, 03:49 AM
lol Barnes is going to get punished by Stern and the refs big time for this little outburst. Too bad for the Clips and their fans because they are going to suffer for this. Tzar Stern doesn't take kindly to infidels.

Aust
03-30-2013, 04:54 AM

This so much.

amos1er
03-30-2013, 05:09 AM

I also concur.

Though Stern didn't even allow a 3rd party investigation into the allegations that Donaghy made. No way he would allow one for this or any of the other day to day operations of the NBA for that matter. Can't believe that people just ignore these facts so blindly and crap like this is able to go on unchecked. Very suspicious indeed. Of course I will be labeled a conspiracy theorist for even mentioning this.

Chronz
03-30-2013, 06:26 PM

I also concur.

Though Stern didn't even allow a 3rd party investigation into the allegations that Donaghy made. No way he would allow one for this or any of the other day to day operations of the NBA for that matter. Can't believe that people just ignore these facts so blindly and crap like this is able to go on unchecked. Very suspicious indeed. Of course I will be labeled a conspiracy theorist for even mentioning this.
FBI ain't good enough for you?

amos1er
03-30-2013, 06:29 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the FBI say that they found 100% of Donaghy's testimony to be truthful?

Chronz
03-30-2013, 06:34 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the FBI say that they found 100% of Donaghy's testimony to be truthful?
Too many of his claims were refuted by his own people no less.

Thats why the nba was never investigated

amos1er
03-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Too many of his claims were refuted by his own people no less.

Thats why the nba was never investigated

Oh ok. That makes sense.

I just remember hearing on the 60 minutes special on him, that the FBI felt that Donaghy was being 100% truthful when they questioned him.

Cracka2HI!
03-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I actually think the refs generally do as of a job as they can. Basketball is hard to officiate. Where I do think they could use some scrutiany is on plays they review and still get wrong. Like the Ibaka on Blake nut shot.