PDA

View Full Version : NBA admits that the Lakers were gifted a win last night

sunsfan88
03-28-2013, 06:12 PM
The NBA has released a statement that a foul should have been called on Kobe Bryant in the final seconds of the Los Angeles Lakers' 120-117 win over the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday night.

Bryant made contact with Ricky Rubio on a last-second three-point attempt that could have tied the game.

"Video review by the league office confirmed that Kobe Bryant fouled Rubio while Rubio was in his shooting motion," the league said on its website. "Rubio should have been awarded three free throws."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9109129/nba-says-refs-missed-foul-call-kobe-bryant-vs-minnesota-timberwolves

No surprise here :rolleyes:

Pakman
03-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Gifted? Lol hardly. He still would have had to make the free throws and send it to overtime. So I guess the hawks were gifted a win too when dantay jones undercut kobe on the buzzer beater and no foul was called and the league admitted the same? Stop with the laker hate. Lulz

sp1derm00
03-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Also, Rubio's FT% is 78.7% for his NBA career.

Assuming his percentage doesn't change given pressure he would be feeling because of the importance of the FT's, he would have a 48.7% chance of making all 3.

Slug3
03-28-2013, 06:22 PM
More like they acknowledged it was a foul. He still had to make all 3 to just tie it.

amos1er
03-28-2013, 06:23 PM
Gifted? Lol hardly. He still would have had to make the free throws and send it to overtime. So I guess the hawks were gifted a win too when dantay jones undercut kobe on the buzzer beater and no foul was called and the league admitted the same? Stop with the laker hate. Lulz

This says it all. Close thread.

Tony_Starks
03-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Laker hating is the path to the dark side.....

Edit-
Oh wait it's from a Suns fan. Nevermind, this makes perfect sense now.

amos1er
03-28-2013, 06:25 PM
Silly Rubio, don't you know that only Wade is allowed to get last second game changing calls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKxxsDuDas&list=LLwaptt4I1Z3RavJmAnnFn1Q

sunsfan88
03-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Yes. And I'll agree to that. The Lakers were robbed in that game.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-28-2013, 06:28 PM
The NBA admits a foul should have taken place. No way to know if that would have led to a win.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Give Kobe 2 free throws, his ankle, and the subsequent losses to the Hawks and Suns while he was out for the that missed call, and Rubio can have his 3 free throws to tie

ThaDubs
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
They weren't gifted a win lol. They would still have to go into overtime and that is still an if because Rubio would have to make all 3 free throws without buying in to pressure. Don't treat this like Bulls fans treated the Nuggets game (even though both calls were correct in that game).

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-28-2013, 06:32 PM
By the way, that was a missed call. If I was a Wolves fan I would be upset. But then again in no way does a win help them at all. They are better off losing all their games to get the highest seed possible.

But I can understand why a Jazz or Mav fan would be upset. But the Suns? For a 14th draft pick in one of the weakest drafts in history? I bet if the Lakers could give away those picks to you guys for free they would. Heck, they have tried to.

ILLUSIONIST^248

Yeah I'm sure he would have made that half court shot. Yawnnnn!

sunsfan88
Give Kobe 2 free throws, his ankle, and the subsequent losses to the Hawks and Suns while he was out for the that missed call, and Rubio can have his 3 free throws to tie

The Suns probably would have still beat the Lakers. Just not in blow out fashion.

We beat the Lakers earlier when they had Kobe playing.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-28-2013, 06:35 PM

Troll title.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-28-2013, 06:36 PM
The Suns probably would have still beat the Lakers. Just not in blow out fashion.

We beat the Lakers earlier when they had Kobe playing.

They may have. And the Lakers probably would have lost in overtime to the Hawks even if they did give him two free throws. But we will never know because they did not call it. Just trying to show that the league does not go out of its way to help the Lakers. They are on the short end of the stick as well. So the "No suprise here" comment is what I am disputing

ThunderousDemon
03-28-2013, 06:42 PM
No pick for you :dance:

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-28-2013, 06:46 PM
No pick for you :dance:

:dance2:

sunsfan88
03-28-2013, 06:52 PM
They may have. And the Lakers probably would have lost in overtime to the Hawks even if they did give him two free throws. But we will never know because they did not call it. Just trying to show that the league does not go out of its way to help the Lakers. They are on the short end of the stick as well. So the "No suprise here" comment is what I am disputing
I don't think the league goes out of its way to help the Lakers either.

I said "no surprise" as in no surprise that the league admitted that it was a foul.

Tony_Starks
03-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Has Dragic recovered from his one game injury yet?....

ManRam
03-28-2013, 06:58 PM
so, they were boned by a no-call late in a game a few weeks ago, and now benefited from one later.

oh, go figure! these things balance out!

Mr.SmackYoMama
03-28-2013, 07:05 PM

I agree with what you are saying just wanted to point out that LULZ is the gayest **** EVER! Stop with that ********!

mdm692
03-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Has Dragic recovered from his one game injury yet?....

Dragic wasn't injured they just rested him just like they will today vs the Kings. Do you have a point? No you're just trolling. Our organization doesn't make up injuries like a certain franchise in LA.

Tony_Starks
03-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Dragic wasn't injured they just rested him just
like they will today vs the Kings. Do you have a point? No you're just trolling. Our organization doesn't make up injuries like a certain franchise in LA.

Lol. Yeah Howard's back surgery, Nash broken leg, Gasols torn foot muscle and Kobe's ankle injury were all just make believe. Lakers just made it all up to get sympathy.

You're funny....

Hawkeye15
03-28-2013, 07:29 PM
as a Wolves fan, I was pissed, but Rubio still would have had to knock down all 3, and then we would have had to beat a team that has beat us 754 time straight in OT.

But sure, I am pissed we didn't get the chance. But it wasn't gifted to the Lakers.

mjt20mik
03-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Refs have been so bad this year

asandhu23
03-28-2013, 07:38 PM
They are admitting this for PR reasons.

Avenged
03-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Hmm. Gifted? Wouldn't say that.. Unfortunate, yes.

"no surprise here". Yeah, the league is helping the Lakers win so damn much they're struggling to get into the playoffs.

Lakers + Giants
03-28-2013, 08:02 PM
so, they were boned by a no-call late in a game a few weeks ago, and now benefited from one later.

oh, go figure! these things balance out!

This.

Exactly why we can't *****, we got the "make up" call last night. We can't ***** when it goes against us and then just laugh and ignore it when we're the ones getting away with a foul.

Aust
03-28-2013, 09:42 PM

/thread

WITZ
03-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Silly Rubio, don't you know that only Wade is allowed to get last second game changing calls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKxxsDuDas&list=LLwaptt4I1Z3RavJmAnnFn1Q

:puke: , That entire series was a joke. Oh well **** happens i guess.

mngopher35
03-28-2013, 10:11 PM
It sucked because we were on a nice little late run too. If rubio would have made all 3 it would have been an interesting overtime. O well, in the end it will help us get a better draft pick I guess. I would say it sucks for Dallas and Utah here but the lakers just lost kobe to injury because of a bs play so they can have this one back on us lol.

c.c.
03-28-2013, 10:23 PM
Kobe won't admit to it though

topdog
03-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Two things:

1. Rubio is pretty clutch (or at least that is my impression watching games) so there is a fairly decent chance he could make 3 free throws. That would still mean playing overtime, but the point simply is that Rubio deserved the chance to force an extra period.

2. The league has developed a problem where referees refuse to call fouls late game because they don't want to "decide" the result. Intelligent players like Kobe and Dahntay Jones take advantage of this and the refusal by the refs to make any call ends up deciding the game.

John Walls Era
03-28-2013, 11:46 PM
w/e. Lakers need all the Ws they can get. I rather see them in the playoffs than the other teams.

Lakers Ghost
03-28-2013, 11:52 PM
it happens ref makes mistakes but it happens in the nba.

Duncan = Donkey
03-29-2013, 12:32 AM
Refs helping the Lakers win games is shameful.

Sactown
03-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Lol Kobe Bryant comments on both games are hilarious

After Nuggets game where he's fouled:

It was a foul I should of gone to the line, the NBA needs to protect shooters

After T-Wolves game where he fouls Rubio:
They aren't going to call that **** that late in the game

The goods
03-29-2013, 02:09 AM

Got em coach!!!!

DallasTrilla23
03-29-2013, 02:09 AM
LOL the league has issued like 3 of these statements about uncalled fouls but the lakers are the only ones that were gifted a win?

asandhu23
03-29-2013, 02:33 AM
Calm down, Lakers fans. You have been on top for how long? this **** was going to happen one day.

Oefarmy2005
03-29-2013, 05:11 PM
I just hate how obvious it was. Sure refs miss calls, at least the one in the Wade example had a lot of things going on. In this case, the ref is right there, 10 feet away and does not make the call.

J4KOP99
03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Without a doubt. Kobe clearly fouled him. I was amazed to see Kobe miss the ft, then just stand there for about 2 seconds... he deserved to have the foul called on him for that half-*** effort... and the Lakers probably deserved to lose due to the fact they basically gave up with 3 mins to go.

However, as some have already said, the loss is probably better for Minny in the long run.

sp1derm00
03-29-2013, 05:19 PM

The difference being the foul on Kobe was dangerous and should have been called in any situation and the foul on Rubio not being dangerous.

That being said, I don't agree with "they're not gonna call that **** late in the game", it should be consistent throughout.

Sactown
03-29-2013, 06:49 PM
The difference being the foul on Kobe was dangerous and should have been called in any situation and the foul on Rubio not being dangerous.

That being said, I don't agree with "they're not gonna call that **** late in the game", it should be consistent throughout.
I agree that one was more dangerous than the other, but that doesn't take away from the fact that his comments were hypocritical...

Also to comment, one was game altering while the other was just a dangerous play after a shot... One affected the game while the other didn't... Wouldn't it be more logical to fine Jones and call the foul on Kobe?

Hawkeye15
03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
It sucked because we were on a nice little late run too. If rubio would have made all 3 it would have been an interesting overtime. O well, in the end it will help us get a better draft pick I guess. I would say it sucks for Dallas and Utah here but the lakers just lost kobe to injury because of a bs play so they can have this one back on us lol.

Draft pick? You remember David Kahn is our GM, right? He wouldn't know talent if it landed on his face and tap danced.

Hawkeye15
03-29-2013, 07:15 PM

people wonder why I hate this guy

CityofTreez
03-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Nothing new here...

Cracka2HI!
03-29-2013, 08:23 PM
I understand Laker fans being upset by this thread but there was huge deal made when the league admitted they missed a foul on the play Bryant hurt his ankle. I don't see the difference.

Tony_Starks
03-29-2013, 08:32 PM
I understand Laker fans being upset by
this thread but there was huge deal made when the league admitted they missed a foul on the play Bryant hurt his ankle. I don't see the difference.

Ummm.... One was a mistake that affected a game, one was a mistake that affected a game and caused injury.

That's the difference sir.....

Cracka2HI!
03-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Ummm.... One was a mistake that affected a game, one was a mistake that affected a game and caused injury.

That's the difference sir.....

Only in the eyes of Laker fans. I don't think it was dirty.

Tony_Starks
03-29-2013, 09:24 PM
Only in the eyes of Laker fans. I don't think it was dirty.

Right sliding under someone's feet after they've already shot is good clean defense.

Cracka2HI!
03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Not how I saw it.

mngopher35
03-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Draft pick? You remember David Kahn is our GM, right? He wouldn't know talent if it landed on his face and tap danced.

Haha who says he will still be the gm at draft time though? Also I don't even care if we use the pick on a prospect or trade it, either way the higher the better. It is our time to get lucky in the lottery!

mngopher35
03-29-2013, 09:53 PM
Right sliding under someone's feet after they've already shot is good clean defense.

jalen rose agrees

Sactown
03-29-2013, 09:54 PM
I disagree with the title of this thread "gifted"... the win wasn't gifted.. a call was missed late in a game... The refs didn't have a personal vendetta to give the Lakers another win.

daleja424
03-29-2013, 10:10 PM
What do the mods do around here anymore? This thread title is awful. The Nba admitted no such thing. They admitted a call was missed. Period.

Sactown
03-29-2013, 10:49 PM
What do the mods do around here anymore? This thread title is awful. The Nba admitted no such thing. They admitted a call was missed. Period.

We have multiple threads which are incorrectly titled... Look at the,vLebron thinks he doesn't get enough calls thread...

amos1er
03-30-2013, 04:36 AM

No we don't. lol

That guy misquoted Kobe in that he only partially quoted him. Kobe went on to elaborate that they don't call those on miracle half court shots for the most part, and he is right. Kobe just feels like he doesn't get his due anymore now that the NBA is trying to hype up new up and coming stars. That is why he is a bit disgruntled when it comes to consistency from the refs. I'm sure it was nothing personal against the T-Wolves or Rubio. It was more slanted at the NBA. Though I personally feel Rubio should have got the call regardless. Even when I watched the game I thought the Lakers go away with one. Some claim it was justice for the call Kobe didn't get in Atlanta when Jones injured him. But that makes no sense since it's against the Wolves and not Atlanta. Two wrongs don't make a right. You know that I am the first to point out bad calls and I agree that this was a bad call...or in this case, a bad no call. Either way, it increases the chances for the Wolves in the lottery. No harm no foul I guess...no pun intended of course.

amos1er
03-30-2013, 04:42 AM

Yup the title is a joke and mockery for sure. Imagine if a Laker fan posted something like this in regards to the Heat...

sunsfan88
03-30-2013, 06:01 AM

Are you talking about Kobe or the poster Sactown?

TheNumber37
03-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Fine, though Rubio was not making all 3.

Sactown
03-30-2013, 01:47 PM

He's talking about Kobe.....

I hope :crying:

Sactown
03-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Fine, though Rubio was not making all 3.

How do you know?

Hawkeye15
03-30-2013, 02:23 PM

Kobe haha, no wonder Sactown posted on my wall on why do I hate him...

Love ya Sactown