PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Reggie Evans?

JasonJohnHorn
03-28-2013, 01:54 AM
I was really happy for Reggie Evans last season when he signed the short deal with the Clippers and then played really well, even in the limited minutes he got. I remember in the playoffs hims getting offensive rebounds when his own guy was shooting free throws and getting extra possessions for his team. I thought he would be rewarded with a decent contract, but it seems that he was having trouble signing with anybody and settled on a VERY modest deal with the Nets (I believe the league min. for three seasons). I'm not sure why the Clippers didn't want to hang onto him. In my opinion, Evans is one of the best rebounders of his generation. Love and Dwight are obviously up there, but Dwight actually has a slightly lower rebounds-per-36 than Evans. I realize Evans offensive woes are troubling, but on the glass and on defence, you couldn't ask for much better, especially considering how little he is being paid. As a Raptors fan I was happy to see him land in Toronto, but the coach never really seemed to give him minutes.

I like Humphries, and was disappointed for him to see him lose his starting job, but looking at Evans's numbers, it seems like Evans earned that spot, and his 26 rebound performance lat night was amazing.

What are your thoughts on Evans? under rated? Under appreciated? Flawed? Best bargain in the NBA?

R. Johnson#3
03-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Did you just say that Reggie Evans is one of the best rebounders of his generation?

R. Johnson#3
03-28-2013, 01:58 AM
Reggie didn't get minutes in Toronto because he was constantly hurt and we had young players to develop. I won't lie, he's a guy you love to have on your team but the second he's gone, you hate him.

Lakers + Giants
03-28-2013, 01:58 AM
Best rebounder this year IMO. Very physical player, love what he brings except the flopping. Dude's been good this year.

JerseyPalahniuk
03-28-2013, 02:55 AM
Quote from NetsDaily.com:

Reggie Evans CAN rebound. For all his offensive woes, the 6'8", 245 pound power forward is dominating the NBA's rebounding stats, like no other Net in memory.

Evans, as of Wednesday is

--leading the NBA in offensive (15.1), defensive (36) and total (25.5) rebounding percentage, which measures the percent of rebounds a player secures during his time on the court;

--leading the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes (20.7), defensive rebounds per 48 minutes (14.5) and is second in offensive rebounds per 48 (6.2);

--leading the NBA in 20+ rebound games (6), including three games of 22, 22 and 24 in the last three weeks. Dwight Howard and Tyson Chandler have four each.

Overall, he ranks ninth in rebounding at 10.2 per game, 11th in defensive rebounding (7.1) and 12th in offensive rebounds (3.1) ... in only 23 minutes. For the month of March, he is averaging 14.6 per game ... or 25.8 per 48.

These stats were calculated BEFORE getting the 26 rebounds (12 offensive!) tonight. A majority of nets fans on that website (myself included)have continuously chastised PJ for playing Reggie too much, especially late game situations when we don't need the rebounding. Why?

His offensive "woes" are terrible at times - I've seen many plays where the man guarding him gives him an island of space. There's been far to many 4 vs 5 offensive positions with him on the court. He also is among the league leaders (maybe first) in turnover percentage. Some of his offensive rebounds lead to turnovers after he tries way to hard certain possessions to get a ball going out of bounds (aka padding stats), sometimes even knocking the ball out of his own teammates.

HOWEVER, his play as of late has been very surprising, if he can continue to dominate the boards and improve his offensive play (just make a layup once per quarter!) then I will never complain about his minutes.

GiantsSwaGG
03-28-2013, 03:35 AM
He flops

KniCks4LiFe
03-28-2013, 04:54 AM
great rebounder, for some reason he starting to score.

Swashcuff
03-28-2013, 08:20 AM
When you can grab your team 12 offensive rebounds on damn near any given night your offensive "woes" are virtually cut in half. You HAVE to throw a body (or two in some instances) on him when he's going to crash the offensive glass or else its highly likely that he'll be keeping the possession alive.

Did you just say that Reggie Evans is one of the best rebounders of his generation?

Sorry he means of all time. Reggie Evans boasts the the 9th highest singe season Total Rebound % (http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/trb_pct_season.html) in the history of the NBA. The first 7 spots are held by the rebounding G.O.A.T. Dennis Rodman then Camby's 8th and Evans. At his current pace this season however (25.9%) Evans likely to finish with the #5 spot as well.

For his career he's good for 2nd all time in TRB% (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=combined&per_minute_base=36&type=advanced&lg_id=NBA&is_playoffs=N&year_min=&year_max=&franch_id=&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&height_min=0&height_max=99&birth_country_is=Y&birth_country=&is_active=&is_hof=&is_as=&as_comp=gt&as_val=&pos_is_g=Y&pos_is_gf=Y&pos_is_f=Y&pos_is_fg=Y&pos_is_fc=Y&pos_is_c=Y&pos_is_cf=Y&qual=&c1stat=g&c1comp=gt&c1val=300&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5stat=&c5comp=gt&c6mult=1.0&c6stat=&order_by=trb_pct) behind Rodman.

There is no question that Reggie Evans isn't just one of the best rebounders of his generation but one of the best to ever lace them up.

Rockice_8
03-28-2013, 08:51 AM
He flops

I think he's only been warned once so I don't think you can call him a flopper really anymore.

He's still good for a bone head play every once and awhile but if he can just continue to finish those easy looks he gets in the paint then he's a very good player to have on the floor and a great bargain.

Definitely the type of guy you love when he's on your team and hate him when he's not.

greg_ory_2005
03-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Good at rebounding.

tnewkirk
03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I think he's only been warned once so I don't think you can call him a flopper really anymore.

He's still good for a bone head play every once and awhile but if he can just continue to finish those easy looks he gets in the paint then he's a very good player to have on the floor and a great bargain.

Definitely the type of guy you love when he's on your team and hate him when he's not.

he's a flopper and a dirty player i think he intentionally placed his foot under aldridge last night, not to mention he grabbed kamans balls just to get a rebound. great rebounder though.

True Sports Fan
03-28-2013, 12:52 PM
Great rebounder, but that's about it. Still someone you love to have on your roster. Great role player.

JiffyMix88
03-28-2013, 01:07 PM
my thoughts are he's big and strong and knows how to use it while positioning for rebounds....outside of that can't really see any skills to think he would be in the NBA.

Swashcuff
03-28-2013, 01:52 PM
my thoughts are he's big and strong and knows how to use it while positioning for rebounds....outside of that can't really see any skills to think he would be in the NBA.

That's the same for damn near every one trick pony in league history. Honesty where would Reggie Miller be if he had Iman Shumpert's jumper?

omdigga
03-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Hes the ultimate example of a player that you love when he's on your team and hate when he isnt.

JiffyMix88
03-28-2013, 02:54 PM
That's the same for damn near every one trick pony in league history. Honesty where would Reggie Miller be if he had Iman Shumpert's jumper?

See I said I can't really see any skills and I would be right. Can he shoot? no. Can he dribble? no. Does he have any post moves? no. Is he a good passer? no.

He gets plays on his physic and hustle plays no skills if you ask me.

BTW I don't play what ifs Reggie had what he had cause he worked on it and to say all he could do is shoot is pretty ignorant.

Swashcuff
03-28-2013, 03:01 PM
See I said I can't really see any skills and I would be right. Can he shoot? no. Can he dribble? no. Does he have any post moves? no. Is he a good passer? no.

BTW I don't play what ifs Reggie had what he had cause he worked on it and to say all he could do is shoot is pretty ignorant.

And you'd be pretty ignorant if you thought that is what is meant. However the only natural skill that Reggie had that was NBA calibre was his shooting ability. You're trying to tell me that if Reggie had a terrible jumper he would have made it in the NBA?

I can play the same with you. Can Reggie defend? No. Can he rebound? No. Can he pass? A little but nothing special for a guard.

Reggie played on being a great shooter. You could come off of screens all day and send your opposing man and the other team mad but if you can't stick Js you're nothing but a decoy on the offensive end.

ManRam
03-28-2013, 03:03 PM
he's as talented at rebounding as anyone else in the league is at anything else.

he provides essentially nothing else at all though

JasonJohnHorn
03-28-2013, 03:05 PM

Rebounding isn't a skill? There are a great many players who are as big or bigger than Evans and few of them can rebound the ball as well as him.

b@llhog24
03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
He's been one of the best rebounders for a little while. Chances are, if you have a 10 year career in the Nba you're good at something.

JiffyMix88
03-28-2013, 03:23 PM
And you'd be pretty ignorant if you thought that is what is meant. However the only natural skill that Reggie had that was NBA calibre was his shooting ability. You're trying to tell me that if Reggie had a terrible jumper he would have made it in the NBA?

I can play the same with you. Can Reggie defend? No. Can he rebound? No. Can he pass? A little but nothing special for a guard.

Reggie played on being a great shooter. You could come off of screens all day and send your opposing man and the other team mad but if you can't stick Js you're nothing but a decoy on the offensive end.

Rebounding isn't a skill? There are a great many players who are as big or bigger than Evans and few of them can rebound the ball as well as him.

He's a great hustle guy and good at using his physic to get rebounds. Reggie was more than that IMO he was a threat and a problem for defending teams. If Lopez wasn't so soft and like a stick figure Evans rebound production would go down.

SeoulBeatz
03-28-2013, 03:35 PM
One of the best role players in the league.

no one fights for balls more than Reggie.....literally.

Swashcuff
03-28-2013, 03:36 PM
He's a great hustle guy and good at using his physic to get rebounds. Reggie was more than that IMO he was a threat and a problem for defending teams. If Lopez wasn't so soft and like a stick figure Evans rebound production would go down.

He leads the league in ORB%, so what does that say about the other teams rebounders? Is every other rebounder in the league soft and like a stick figure? His numbers would take a microscopic hit and no he isn't just a hustle rebounder. There is MUCH more that goes into rebounding than hustle. Is it a major component? Yes but there is more to it than that. That's like saying all there is to shooting is form. Well Kevin Martin proves that theory completely wrong.

3RDASYSTEM
03-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Thought+s on EVANS

He was who he was from day1, could rebound with the best of'em at any time during career, just depended on minutes played

could defend and get underneath opposing players skin from day1

couldn't shoot/score/create shot worth a lick and from what I've seen yrs later, still cant

its hard to say if he's even improved a ounce shooting wise

like I said you are who you are from day1, until mediahype gets involved

EVANS mediahype is his infamous flopping, he rarely gets media hype for actual play because he has no offensive game and he is no RODMAN on Dside of ball

but he gets ultimate respect from those who truly know what the game is about in crunchtime, winning by any means, dirty in the trenches type

JiffyMix88
03-28-2013, 03:48 PM
He leads the league in ORB%, so what does that say about the other teams rebounders? Is every other rebounder in the league soft and like a stick figure? His numbers would take a microscopic hit and no he isn't just a hustle rebounder. There is MUCH more that goes into rebounding than hustle. Is it a major component? Yes but there is more to it than that. That's like saying all there is to shooting is form. Well Kevin Martin proves that theory completely wrong.

You may have got my words confused and I'll apologize for that cause of the way I wrote it. Stick figure was in reference to Brook Lopez and he doesn't lead the league in ORB%

Yes Evans is a good rebounder outside of that he has no game. Will that make you happy?

Lakers Ghost
03-28-2013, 04:34 PM
biggest flopper.:cool:

knicks=love
03-28-2013, 06:05 PM
lame thread

Jesse2272
03-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Rodmanesque

DoMeFavors
03-28-2013, 06:12 PM
He is the best rebounder in the NBA