PDA

View Full Version : Should the NBA have a 1-and-1 FT rule?

JWO35
03-27-2013, 03:50 PM
For those who don't know the "one-&-one" Free Throw rule that is in college basketball, its basically once you get fouled and go to the line for your two shots, you have to make the 1st FT to attempt the 2nd one. I think this would keep the game at a steady pace and not slow it down due to excessive foul calls by refs....what do you think?

KnicksorBust
03-27-2013, 03:53 PM
God no. It would just lead to more intentionally fouling.

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 04:00 PM
I've been thinking a lot about this since I've been watching a lot of March Madness lately, and I think I'm leaning towards it being a bad idea for multiple reasons.

1. The NBA already has a problem with deliberately fouling bad free throw shooters late in games to prevent a team from scoring. If you tell them there's a chance someone like Dwight would only get one free throw attempt and there's a good chance you're getting the ball back, then you'll see a LOT more Hack-a-Dwight type situations at the end of halves.

2. The NBA plays quarters, not halves, so you would have to determine how you split up the fouls. I don't like the idea of splitting up fouls based on halves, because I like that each quarter feels like its own separate game.

3. So if you still based the 1-and-1 on a quarterly system, how does it work? Do players get a 1-and-1 after 3 or 4 fouls? If so, you're going to see a lot more star players deliberately attempting to draw contact and flopping to get to the free throw line. If you do a 1-and-1 at 5 fouls, when does it go to the double bonus? And suppose you make the 1-and-1 start at five fouls and go into the double bonus at 7 fouls. Then you'll have situations late in games where teams will deliberately foul where they normally wouldn't.

I think that for the different pace and faster play times of college games, the 1-and-1 works perfectly. But I wouldn't implement into the NBA.

I Rock Shaqs
03-27-2013, 04:24 PM
I've been thinking a lot about this since I've been watching a lot of March Madness lately, and I think I'm leaning towards it being a bad idea for multiple reasons.

1. The NBA already has a problem with deliberately fouling bad free throw shooters late in games to prevent a team from scoring. If you tell them there's a chance someone like Dwight would only get one free throw attempt and there's a good chance you're getting the ball back, then you'll see a LOT more Hack-a-Dwight type situations at the end of halves.

2. The NBA plays quarters, not halves, so you would have to determine how you split up the fouls. I don't like the idea of splitting up fouls based on halves, because I like that each quarter feels like its own separate game.

3. So if you still based the 1-and-1 on a quarterly system, how does it work? Do players get a 1-and-1 after 3 or 4 fouls? If so, you're going to see a lot more star players deliberately attempting to draw contact and flopping to get to the free throw line. If you do a 1-and-1 at 5 fouls, when does it go to the double bonus? And suppose you make the 1-and-1 start at five fouls and go into the double bonus at 7 fouls. Then you'll have situations late in games where teams will deliberately foul where they normally wouldn't.

I think that for the different pace and faster play times of college games, the 1-and-1 works perfectly. But I wouldn't implement into the NBA.

I swear you are the most boring dude on the entire forum, you always post paragraphs of pure boring, that nobody is ever going to read, I just read the last sentence of your story book and got what you were saying.

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 04:31 PM
I swear you are the most boring dude on the entire forum, you always post paragraphs of pure boring, that nobody is ever going to read, I just read the last sentence of your story book and got what you were saying.
I will not apologize for enjoying writing about basketball. If you don't want to read what I have to say, then don't. But do not insult me. Also, at least I'm relevant. I hardly ever notice your existence on this forum and whenever I do, you never add anything of value whatsoever.

KnicksorBust
03-27-2013, 04:35 PM

Hater. :laugh:

I will not apologize for enjoying writing about basketball. If you don't want to read what I have to say, then don't. But do not insult me. Also, at least I'm relevant. I hardly ever notice your existence on this forum and whenever I do, you never add anything of value whatsoever.

I read every last word. Keep those novels of basketball coming.

RLundi
03-27-2013, 04:37 PM

I actually read everything :shrug:

I Rock Shaqs
03-27-2013, 04:37 PM

Bang! Bang! I watch basketball and play basketball sorry.

JWO35
03-27-2013, 05:04 PM
I read the whole post, it was definitely a good post...I never thought how they would handle the whole 4Qs vs 2 halfs situation.

Bishnoff
03-27-2013, 05:26 PM

This.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-27-2013, 06:04 PM

This.

likemystylez
03-27-2013, 06:16 PM

I thought it was a well organized post that brought some good points to the forum that can be discussed. It's kind of the purpose of a message board. I see very little purpose in creating a post to call another post boring.... but maybe thats just me.

Mightyboss- good post for the individuals who care about the topic and arent too lazy to read a post with value.

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 06:16 PM

So? That doesn't mean you can express what you're thinking in writing or that you have unique or interesting things to say. Doing something and writing about it are two completely different things. I've never once read something you wrote and considered it unique or thought provoking. Instead of ripping someone for writing a longer post, maybe you should actually take a few minutes to write something people want to read.

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 06:19 PM
I read every last word. Keep those novels of basketball coming.

I actually read everything :shrug:

I read the whole post, it was definitely a good post...I never thought how they would handle the whole 4Qs vs 2 halfs situation.

I thought it was a well organized post that brought some good points to the forum that can be discussed. It's kind of the purpose of a message board. I see very little purpose in creating a post to call another post boring.... but maybe thats just me.

Mightyboss- good post for the individuals who care about the topic and arent too lazy to read a post with value.
Thanks, guys! You're all gentlemen and scholars! :hi5:

I Rock Shaqs
03-27-2013, 06:20 PM

So? That doesn't mean you can express what you're thinking in writing or that you have unique or interesting things to say. Doing something and writing about it are two completely different things. I've never once read something you wrote and considered it unique or thought provoking. Instead of ripping someone for writing a longer post, maybe you should actually take a few minutes to write something people want to read.

Thanks, guys! You're all gentlemen and scholars! :hi5:

Just you talking.

Faneik
03-27-2013, 06:32 PM

k

More-Than-Most
03-27-2013, 06:33 PM
I say yes.... Just adds another element where guys are forced to hit their free throws. If you cant hit them its on the player

Sandman
03-27-2013, 06:35 PM

^^^this one. I don't think it would speed up the game at all. Dwight Howard is going to get hacked to death worse than he was in Orlando 2 weeks ago.

It would just raise the floor for how bad a FT shooter you need to be for the hack-a-shaq to be effective.