PDA

View Full Version : Jerry West fires back - we weren't playing against kids, we played against men.

LAKobeBryant
03-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Article shows a list of reason why LeBron is wrong and Jerry West comments backing up the reasons

In those days, no player could come to the league until his college class had graduated. There's a huge difference between playing against veterans and a lot of six-whisker 19-year-olds who've never checked into a hotel much less into a 260-pound center. "We weren't playing against a bunch of kids," says West. "We were playing men."

That comment goes directly to LeBron talking about the ABA, Jerry says the league now is run by 19 year olds.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/story/_/id/9100202/lakers-streak-better-heats

JerseyPalahniuk
03-26-2013, 06:29 PM
"After the games, we weren't all that excited about the streak. We were excited about how much money we'd just made. They paid us $5 for every assist, steal and blocked shot. I can remember Wilt would get 14 or 15 blocked shots some nights. I'd get 10 steals in a night, no problem. We'd go back to the locker room and try to add it up."

Dade County
03-26-2013, 06:49 PM
And it begins

Cromedome
03-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Looks like another person took my Chamberlain comments to heart.

Pakman
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
West is right. Silly bron

kntresistheheat
03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
WOW! The writer of the article is a troll just like the OP. Those were horrible points.

asandhu23
03-26-2013, 06:58 PM

Yeah, you are SO important, Chromedome.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 07:04 PM
I dont see anything wrong with what he said. Then again, Im a fan of FACTS. Not opinionated drivvel

justinnum1
03-26-2013, 07:10 PM

Cromedome
03-26-2013, 07:11 PM

Please get my name right..thanks.

Cro-me-do-me.

asandhu23
03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Please get my name right..thanks.

Cro-me-do-me.

Can't run away from your bad spelling.

Cromedome
03-26-2013, 07:16 PM

It's been Cro-me-do-me from day 1.

How do you pronounce Domefavors? Dome-favors? Don't patronize me.

ManRam
03-26-2013, 07:23 PM
"fires back"

you act like lebron and west are at war. :laugh2:

west has been very vocal about the heat, and little to none of it has been negative. he seems genuinely interested in it and genuinely seems to really like lebron. lebron's "shots" at those teams weren't "shots" at all.

moral of the story: the leagues were different. some things were harder then, some things are harder now. :shrug:

ThunderousDemon
03-26-2013, 07:47 PM

Yes, that is the number twenty seven. Now, what was the letter of the day?

numba1CHANGsta
03-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Yes, that is the number twenty seven. Now, what was the letter of the day?

"O" for LeBron just got OWNED by Jerry West LOL

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Lebron should be ashamed of himself for talking smack before he even matched the wins of the Lakers. Bad karma for that and I hope he wins 32 in a row and loses right at the end. It would be the most heartbreaking way to go out. Karma's a ***** Lebron...should wait to actually beat the streak before you run your mouth. The Heat schedule has been a complete joke anyways. Has to be the most friendly stretch in the league. Put the 2009 Lakers in the weak east and they could have done better.

ATX
03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
"O" for LeBron just got OWNED by Jerry West LOL

How did he "Owned"? Please explain. Did you read the article? Where did Jerry West "Fire back"? James has only shown respect to that team, and him saying the league is better now today than back then is nothing short of completely accurate. Your just creating something out of nothing. There is no "Beef" between LeBron and West whatsoever.

Jimmer55
03-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Article shows a list of reason why LeBron is wrong and Jerry West comments backing up the reasons

That comment goes directly to LeBron talking about the ABA, Jerry says the league now is run by 19 year olds.

Jerry West is the logo for a reason, he's simply one of the greatest players and gms the game has ever seen. He's a grown man, homie. He speaks like a man, acts like a man and performed like a man. Won a damn finals MVP on the losing squad. Lebron will never reach his legendary status as a pioneer for this game.

ATX
03-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Lebron should be ashamed of himself for talking smack before he even matched the wins of the Lakers. Bad karma for that and I hope he wins 32 in a row and loses right at the end. It would be the most heartbreaking way to go out. Karma's a ***** Lebron...should wait to actually beat the streak before you run your mouth. The Heat schedule has been a complete joke anyways. Has to be the most friendly stretch in the league. Put the 2009 Lakers in the weak east and they could have done better.

Wow, just stop dude. Your the one drumming up all this negativity and animosity, certainly not James. All this drama is only coming from the trolls. Just give some damn respect where it's do man. Every analyst, decent poster, player, coach, past players have been able to do it. It's not hard. What the Heat are achieving is nothing short of historic. You can make up all the same old tired played out pathetic run of the mill excuses you want to sooth your brain, but that's not the way HISTORY will remember it.

ATX
03-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Jerry West is the logo for a reason, he's simply one of the greatest players and gms the game has ever seen. He's a grown man, homie. He speaks like a man, acts like a man and performed like a man. Won a damn finals MVP on the losing squad. Lebron will never reach his legendary status as a pioneer for this game.

Nor will ANYONE considering the era for pioneering was a long long time ago, including your fav Kobe...So again what is your point, aside from baiting and trolling of course.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:13 PM

All very true words. Lebron was the first "manufactured" mega superstar in NBA history. West was one of the first to define a mega NBA superstar. West didn't need help from Nike, Gatorade, ESPN, David Stern, or the refs to be the best. He certainly didn't need to team up with 2 other superstars still in their primes to get the job done.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 08:13 PM
"much less into a 260 lb center"

Um, LeBron is 270 now, playing a position where they weighed 195-210 back then Jerry, so how were they men back then when the kids nowadays are far bigger?

Look, each generation is going to have their own pride. If the Heat beat the streak, its impressive. If they don't, they have still been impressive. Nothing will ever take away how awesome the Lakers streak was. And nothing will take away from Miami's.

So much whining back and forth.

My daddy can beat up your daddy, wahh

Duncan = Donkey
03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
being older makes you a tougher opponent, yeah ok old man

chicagocubsfan
03-26-2013, 08:15 PM
West has a point. College offenses are just brutal now with all of the one and done players and that's why you see teams like FGCU play well in the tournament. So many kids coming out of college after their first year don't have the IQ.

Jimmer55
03-26-2013, 08:16 PM
All very true words. Lebron was the first "manufactured" mega superstar in NBA history. West was one of the first to define a mega NBA superstar. West didn't need help from Nike, Gatorade, ESPN, David Stern, or the refs to be the best. He certainly didn't need to team up with 2 other superstars still in their primes to get the job done.

NO DOUBT. They tried to manufacture Wade, too, during the first finals against the Mavs. The general public didn't fall for it, so they moved on from him being like MJ.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 08:17 PM

I still don't understand how that makes Lebron wrong?

The NBA is run by the greatest basketball players in the world. If a 19 year old is good enough to be in the NBA, and takes the spot of these "veteran" players, how does that make the league today look weaker?

The more people who are allowed in the NBA, the more competitive it becomes. How does Jerry West not understand that? Even if he is a legend.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Wow, just stop dude. Your the one drumming up all this negativity and animosity, certainly not James. All this drama is only coming from the trolls. Just give some damn respect where it's do man. Every analyst, decent poster, player, coach, past players have been able to do it. It's not hard. What the Heat are achieving is nothing short of historic. You can make up all the same old tired played out pathetic run of the mill excuses you want to sooth your brain, but that's not the way HISTORY will remember it.

I love how you are all giving Lebron credit before he even breaks the streak..IF HE BREAKS THE STREAK. Same way he ran his mouth before he even got the job done. Same way everyone called him "The King" for nine years before he even had a ring. Same way Nike and Gatorade called him "The chosen One" before he even did anything of consequence. Throughout Lebrons career he has had many premature accolades handed to him. Guess this is no different.

ATX
03-26-2013, 08:22 PM

Um, LeBron is 270 now, playing a position where they weighed 195-210 back then Jerry, so how were they men back then when the kids nowadays are far bigger?

Look, each generation is going to have their own pride. If the Heat beat the streak, its impressive. If they don't, they have still been impressive. Nothing will ever take away how awesome the Lakers streak was. And nothing will take away from Miami's.

It's the simple fact that, as you stated in another thread...paraphrasing, "James could average 55, 20, 10, and the Heat go 82-0 and people would still drum up excuses to discredit their amazing accomplishments, that just never ceases to floor me. The utter hypocrisy...We all know that if the Lakers even make the playoffs, the comments will fly that Kobe is the GOAT for even being able to carry the team to the finals. If this Laker team even won 20 straight, let alone 27 and counting, we would all hear from these same posters who are incapable of giving any iota of credit, that this Laker team is just amazing, historic, one of the best teams ever assembled and blah, blah, blah...It's downright ******** in reasoning...

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 08:22 PM
West has a point. College offenses are just brutal now with all of the one and done players and that's why you see teams like FGCU play well in the tournament. So many kids coming out of college after their first year don't have the IQ.

all the one and done means it that college basketball sucks now. They develop in the pro's. Sink or swim in the game now, instead of patient growth.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
I love how you are all giving Lebron credit before he even breaks the streak..IF HE BREAKS THE STREAK. Same way he ran his mouth before he even got the job done. Same way everyone called him "The King" for nine years before he even had a ring. Same way Nike and Gatorade called him "The chosen One" before he even did anything of consequence. Throughout Lebrons career he has had many premature accolades handed to him. Guess this is no different.

Giving LeBron credit for breaking the streak? First, the Heat have to do it, second, nobody is giving anyone credit for doing something they haven't done.

Jimmer55
03-26-2013, 08:24 PM
I still don't understand how that makes Lebron wrong?

The NBA is run by the greatest basketball players in the world. If a 19 year old is good enough to be in the NBA, and takes the spot of these "veteran" players, how does that make the league today look weaker?

The more people who are allowed in the NBA, the more competitive it becomes. How does Jerry West not understand that? Even if he is a legend.

Um, most of these young guys are drafted and played because of their POTENTIAL. There are a LOT of older vets that would WIPE THE FLOOR with these young scrubs, but the franchise wants to develop the young guys. Austin Rivers, for most of the season, was a flatout EMBARASSMENT and borderline the ALL-TIME WORST player EVER for the amount of minutes he was given.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 08:24 PM

They've won 27 GAMES IN A ROW!! How is that not history being made??? How is that not amazing??

I swear, you Lakers fans make me feel like a Heat fan at times because I always find myself defending them against your insane homerism. All those years I've had to listen to how Kobe is so great, and I always acknowledged that he was fantastic. But now we're witnessing Lebron in his prime and you all are so butthurt it's pathetic. Learn to live with stars on other teams, it makes the game way more enjoyable to watch and you aren't as annoying to fans of other teams.

ATX
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM

I never said they'll break it. If they do, it'll be all the more historic, but even if they don't, what they were able to accomplish in winning 27 is nothing short of great, and should not be diminished just because you hate LeBron.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 08:25 PM
Stern wasn't around, you've spoken as if you didn't know people thought Jerry West got favorable calls because he was white back then. Bron doesn't need racism to dominate would be the counterpoint.

Both are idiotic stances.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 08:27 PM

Can you back this with evidence?

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 08:28 PM
Um, most of these young guys are drafted and played because of their POTENTIAL. There are a LOT of older vets that would WIPE THE FLOOR with these young scrubs, but the franchise wants to develop the young guys. Austin Rivers, for most of the season, was a flatout EMBARASSMENT and borderline the ALL-TIME WORST player EVER for the amount of minutes he was given.

Sports evolve. There are not a ton of veterans who would translate the same way they did in their day. That is a fact in any sport where size, speed, and strength matter.

Who guards LeBron in 1970? Who guards 2004 KG back then?

Sports evolve. Sure there are the few that would stand the test of time in Wilt, Russell, and some others. But they are a rare breed. So acting like these "young bucks" don't know what they are talking about is ridiculous.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 08:29 PM

That's why Austin Rivers barely plays. Teams play their best players because they want to be competitive. Any "solid vet" that would be playing instead of Rivers would be riding the bench. That's why they're now cut.

But you're so right, I mean I'd so rather take Scalabrine because he makes the league waaay more competitive than Austin Rivers.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 08:29 PM
Can you back this with evidence?

back what? That players were smaller in general back then? The weight lifting and nutrition hadn't built the impact yet, that is obvious. West himself said, "let alone 260 lb centers" LeBron weighs more than the typical center back then if West's words are indeed evidence.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 08:33 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_league_average_height,_weight,_age_and_playing _experience

Goes back to the mid 80's, when players stayed 4 years. Average age/height is the same as it is now, weight up by 9 lbs per player. Safe to say we can subtract another 5-10 lbs at least to go back 2 decades. Height my be somewhat similar.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 08:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_league_average_height,_weight,_age_and_playing _experience

Goes back to the mid 80's, when players stayed 4 years. Average age/height is the same as it is now, weight up by 9 lbs per player. Safe to say we can subtract another 5-10 lbs at least to go back 2 decades. Height my be somewhat similar.
Doubtful, league started listing players differently aka less accurately during the Stern promotion era. But Im not just talking about the physical specs, but how the streak is "tougher" now.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:35 PM
NO DOUBT. They tried to manufacture Wade, too, during the first finals against the Mavs. The general public didn't fall for it, so they moved on from him being like MJ.

YES! The 2006 finals were a disgrace. I remember watching game 5 and I just feeling like David Stern just stuck his dick in the ***** of every NBA fan. They needed a star, so they tried to make one. Lucky people were smart enough to see through that ruse. So of course they moved their efforts to Lebron and the sheep followed.

mngopher35
03-26-2013, 08:37 PM

I would love for you to post the exact words of Lebrons about the streak that you think he should be ashamed of. He even stated that their streak was very impressive and didn't want to take anything away from it.

The heat may have a joke of a schedule to you but the 33 game streak wasn't against the elite competition of that time anyways. I posted in that other thread but basically the Lakers team back then really didn't play too many top teams either during their streak (only played the 2 teams that were anywhere near their level once each). Of course you don't discredit their streak, wonder why this is different? You can personally hold it against lebron that they are in a weak east but they have still done something that only 1 other team in history has done. I get your a laker/kobe homer so you needed to bring the 09 lakers into the conversation though even though they didn't sniff a 27 game win streak.

I don't see anyone saying how great it is that they have the longest win streak ever. People just like to give credit where it is do and 27 games in a row is impressive. I get it though, anything to discredit Lebron because right now he is dominating and you can't stand it.

TheNumber37
Very true.

Chronz
back what? That players were smaller in general back then? The weight lifting and nutrition hadn't built the impact yet, that is obvious. West himself said, "let alone 260 lb centers" LeBron weighs more than the typical center back then if West's words are indeed evidence.

LeBron is 270 now, playing a position where they weighed 195-210 back then Jerry

That sounds inaccurate and wildly exaggerated. Bron is a hybrid 3-4, pretty sure they werent 195 back then.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Stern wasn't around, you've spoken as if you didn't know people thought Jerry West got favorable calls because he was white back then. Bron doesn't need racism to dominate would be the counterpoint.

Both are idiotic stances.

Lebron didn't need racism when he has Nike, Gatorade and ESPN backing him up. The influence of mega corporations are more powerful that of racism. Money is the ultimate motivator, and the ultimate motive for malice.

TheNumber37
03-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Lebron's super team would have been IMPOSSIBLE during the rule of NBA eligibility beginning at your class' graduation. Lebron, D wade and Bosh - all different classes.

Jimmer55
03-26-2013, 08:39 PM
YES! The 2006 finals were a disgrace. I remember watching game 5 and I just feeling like David Stern just stuck his dick in the ***** of every NBA fan. They needed a star, so they tried to make one. Lucky people were smart enough to see through that ruse. So of course they moved their efforts to Lebron and the sheep followed.

97 FT attempts for Wade. Most for MJ in a finals? 70.

WWE.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Lebron didn't need racism when he has Nike, Gatorade and ESPN backing him up. The influence of mega corporations are more powerful that of racism. Money is the ultimate motivator, and the ultimate motive for malice.
Nah, the league was STARVING for attention and consumer approval. Racism might not sound that influential today but it was a different story then.

Dont see what makes either argument any better / dumber.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:43 PM
Lebron's super team would have been IMPOSSIBLE during the rule of NBA eligibility beginning at your class' graduation. Lebron, D wade and Bosh - all different classes.

Great point!

Chronz
03-26-2013, 08:43 PM
97 FT attempts for Wade. Most for MJ in a finals? 70.

WWE.

Handchecking, Dallas Mavs (inept at defending swings that year), and Shaq drawing heavy attention.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Great point!
How so? Wilt and West/Baylor werent the same draft class.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Doubtful, league started listing players differently aka less accurately during the Stern promotion era. But Im not just talking about the physical specs, but how the streak is "tougher" now.

I don't think its tougher, mentality wise it would be as difficult no matter what. I simply said, the league is stronger now than it was imo. Take in account the Lakers were SO dominant at that time, they just toyed with teams. Not to mention the ABA had some players that would have been awesome NBA players at the time.

Both streaks are equally impressive, for different reasons. To downplay one is ridiculous. But to say that sports don't evolve, that require speed, strength, and size, is just wrong. But to win that many games in a team sport, in a row, is ********, no matter the time.

More impressive than both is 72-10. That required complete focus over 82 games, not just a 2/5 of the season.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Nah, the league was STARVING for attention and consumer approval. Racism might not sound that influential today but it was a different story then.

Dont see what makes either argument any better / dumber.

It's not like West was the only white player back then anyways. Lebron however, has more money behind him than any player currently. Hence, it can be argued that Lebron has more of an advantage with the refs than did West when comparing both to their peers. West never had the financial backing that Lebron did either. You don't think that racism still goes on today?

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 08:46 PM
That sounds inaccurate and wildly exaggerated. Bron is a hybrid 3-4, pretty sure they werent 195 back then.

you went after my minimum. You don't need the eye test to realize NBA athletes are stronger now. Not that the sport is dependent on needing to be stronger, but the players now are in fact more chiseled and stronger. It comes with the modernization of training and nutrition, as well as the better drugs.

Jimmer55
Handchecking, Dallas Mavs (inept at defending swings that year), and Shaq drawing heavy attention.

:laugh:

amos1er

Here is the only rebuttal I need. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKxxsDuDas&list=LLwaptt4I1Z3RavJmAnnFn1Q

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:48 PM

I know...it's funny how people will rationalize anything that could damage one of their favorite athletes. Anyone without any bias could clearly see just how bad of a mockery that series was.

Jimmer55
03-26-2013, 08:49 PM
I know...it's funny how people will rationalize anything that could damage one of their favorite athletes. Anyone without any bias could clearly see just how bad of a mockery that series was.

I almost quit the NBA after that travesty.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:50 PM
How so? Wilt and West/Baylor werent the same draft class.

Baylor was done by 72...why bring him into this. The Lakers big three during that run were West, Wilt, and Goodrich.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Ya, me too. I felt so violated that entire summer. I still can't believe that **** went down like that. It's even funnier to me how the Wadebuffs on here will try to defend what happened that year.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Ya, me too. I felt so violated that entire summer. I still can't believe that **** went down like that. It's even funnier to me how the Wadebuffs on here will try to defend what happened that year.

bucketss
03-26-2013, 08:54 PM

hopefully you will quit for good when koME retires and jimmer is out of the league in a few years.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 09:04 PM
hopefully you will quit for good when koME retires and jimmer is out of the league in a few years.

One can only hope.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 09:07 PM

lol Heaven forbid that there is anyone who can provide a healthy dose of reality into the fantasy world you Lebronites have created for yourselves.

nickdymez
03-26-2013, 09:10 PM
The usual suspects in here to defend Lebron

amos1er
03-26-2013, 09:14 PM

Of course. Even when an all-time great calls him out for being a douche, they are still unfazed.

time4change
03-26-2013, 09:14 PM
lol Heaven forbid that there is anyone who can provide a healthy dose of reality into the fantasy world you Lebronites have created for yourselves.

This.

Slug3
03-26-2013, 09:18 PM
Honestly though, if players now were paid for the points/boards/steals/etc they did in the game it would be competitive wcery single night. You would also probably see more people play when they are banged up.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 09:20 PM

A healthy dose eh? Who's the hater here?? The fan of neither the Lakers or Heat that states an unbiased opinion. Or the fan that looks for every way possible to bash Lebron and even has a sig that justifies how much you hate him.

Lebronite? If that's what being a realist is then I guess it's not really an insult.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 09:28 PM

Defending Lebron? I'm stating an opinion. Just because an all-time great gives out an opinion doesn't mean it's correct. I don't understand how people really don't think the league is way more competitive today then it was back then. It baffles me.

bucketss
03-26-2013, 09:28 PM

usual suspect in here to cry about lebrons greatness.

mngopher35
03-26-2013, 09:30 PM
Of course. Even when an all-time great calls him out for being a douche, they are still unfazed.

Where did West call him a douche? Also back to my post that you never replied to, can you give me the quotes from Lebron that you thought he should be ashamed of? He never insulted and diminished the lakers win streak in 1972 (at least from his quotes I have seen posted in this and the other thread).

bucketss
03-26-2013, 09:30 PM
A healthy dose eh? Who's the hater here?? The fan of neither the Lakers or Heat that states an unbiased opinion. Or the fan that looks for every way possible to bash Lebron and even has a sig that justifies how much you hate him.

Lebronite? If that's what being a realist is then I guess it's not really an insult.

lol the dude dedicated his whole profile to lebron.

amos1er
03-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Where did West call him a douche?

He never did outright, IMO he was checking Lebron for his earlier comments in a very political way. West is to classy to call someone a douche.

Also back to my post that you never replied to, can you give me the quotes from Lebron that you thought he should be ashamed of? He never insulted and diminished the lakers win streak in 1972 (at least from his quotes I have seen posted in this and the other thread).

He said the league was easier back then, that to me implies he is diminishing the 72' Laker record. Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 09:42 PM
lol the dude dedicated his whole profile to lebron.

Haha it's just too easy to prove some of these Laker fans wrong they're making themselves way too vulnerable lately.

ztilzer31
03-26-2013, 09:43 PM
He never did outright, IMO he was checking Lebron for his earlier comments in a very political way. West is to classy to call someone a douche.

He said the league was easier back then, that to me implies he is diminishing the 72' Laker record. Sometimes you have to read between the lines.

Yeah sometimes you have to read between the lines to find a reason to hate someone lol.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 09:46 PM

It's pretty fair to say the league was less competitive back then.

KnicksorBust
03-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Modern players/fans disrespect level of player from the early decades of basketball... for the most part justifiably so... it's only natural there would be backlash.

West's comment is nowhere near as bad as Walt Frazier. http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/walt_frazier_the_heat_is_not_a_great_team/13233259

"I think they’re the best team in the NBA, but I wouldn’t call them a great team. I wouldn’t rank them anywhere near the top 10 best teams ever,” Frazier said.

kntresistheheat
03-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Did you guys even read the article? West did not call anyone out. He is just backing up his facts on his 33 game winning streak. The beat writer is the one stirring up ****! I swear, I've never seen so many haters and can't believe that this site has become a bash fest! Where are the mods at? Are they on vacation?? I remember I use to get a infraction just for stating my opinion or just backing up my team. You got kids like jimmer, amso1er, illusionist, ect... Ruining this site. Everyone feels the same way about those same posters and its not a coincidence that there team has 4 HOF and barely sniffing the playoffs and taking their frustration on the heat and fans.

pedrofan45
03-26-2013, 09:56 PM
Modern players/fans disrespect level of player from the early decades of basketball... for the most part justifiably so... it's only natural there would be backlash.

West's comment is nowhere near as bad as Walt Frazier. http://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/walt_frazier_the_heat_is_not_a_great_team/13233259

"I think they’re the best team in the NBA, but I wouldn’t call them a great team. I wouldn’t rank them anywhere near the top 10 best teams ever,” Frazier said.

It's natural for players to defend their own teams. Everyone of these guys we talk about are/were so competitive I don't blame West or Frazier for backing up their team.

As for ranking the Heat as a top 10 team ever? That's also laughable because they obviously need to win the championship in order for this to happen. Let's wait and see until after the season where we should rank them.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 09:57 PM
It's not like West was the only white player back then anyways. Lebron however, has more money behind him than any player currently. Hence, it can be argued that Lebron has more of an advantage with the refs than did West when comparing both to their peers. West never had the financial backing that Lebron did either. You don't think that racism still goes on today?
West was the great white hope, the one who could realistically claim the label of a superstar. And hes the guy who was singled out so take your BS theory to them. Im not the one who felt he got the calls due to race.

LOL at you thinking I said racism doesn't go on today when what I am saying was that it was far more prevalent and impactful. You dont have the capacity of fans complaining about the black guys taking over today. So no, I dont see how either one of these idiotic stances is any less dumber than the other.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 09:59 PM
you went after my minimum.
Well yeah, it was a laughably low figure and Id LOVE to see your facts behind this opinion.

You don't need the eye test to realize NBA athletes are stronger now. Not that the sport is dependent on needing to be stronger, but the players now are in fact more chiseled and stronger. It comes with the modernization of training and nutrition, as well as the better drugs.

Totally not what Im arguing against, its your specific figures and gross exaggerations that I took offense to.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 10:01 PM

:clap:

Here is the only rebuttal I need. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKxxsDuDas&list=LLwaptt4I1Z3RavJmAnnFn1Q

Ill take the opinion of the non Kobe fan thank you very much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zonUdXJkQ

mngopher35
03-26-2013, 10:04 PM

Back then, the leagues were separate. It wasn’t a full league at that time, the ABA and NBA leagues spread apart,’’ James said about 1971-72. “So some of the greatest players weren’t even in the (NBA) at the time. But … that takes nothing away from what (the Lakers) were able to accomplish; 33 games in a row is 33 games in a row. I don’t care who you’re playing against. Our league is so competitive now. We’ve got 30 teams. We have so many great players. To even have (had winning 33 straight) as a goal for me, it was never even an option via manram in the other thread.

I guess we see different things reading between the lines then. To me you have just decided to form your own opinion about what he meant so that you could choose to bash him.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Baylor was done by 72...why bring him into this. The Lakers big three during that run were West, Wilt, and Goodrich.

Yea because they hooked up in 1972 lol.

The Lakers Super team was the triumvirate I mentioned, they found a way to hook up despite being drafted at different points.

Point remains, big name stars could do it.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-26-2013, 10:08 PM

:clap: Truth.

CityofTreez
03-26-2013, 10:16 PM

Stop lyin...

You know Austin Rivers is better than you :laugh2:

gr824
03-26-2013, 10:22 PM
Yea because they hooked up in 1972 lol.

The Lakers Super team was the triumvirate I mentioned, they found a way to hook up despite being drafted at different points.

Point remains, big name stars could do it.

Just an FYI:

Baylor retired before the 33-game winning streak commenced. Elgin was not really a part of the championship run in 1971-1972 [ the only title the Wilt/West Lakers ever won ]; Jim McMillian was the starting SF for that team ...

Jimmer55
03-26-2013, 10:23 PM
Stop lyin...

You know Austin Rivers is better than you :laugh2:

I seriously doubt it but i'm only 30, still in my prime. I would wipe the floor with that kid.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Just an FYI:

Baylor retired before the 33-game winning streak commenced. Elgin was not really a part of the championship run in 1971-1972 [ the only title the Wilt/West Lakers ever won ]; Jim McMillian was the starting SF for that team ...
Thats not the point, the point is super teams can be constructed in any era if the players wanted to. Most had too much pride to do so back then. Like when Lenny Wilkens was traded to Cleveland, according to him, he considered holding out and *****ing about getting the short end of the stick but decided to be a true professional.
He was beloved in both Seattle and Cleveland because of it, even if he never won.

kswissdaf
03-26-2013, 11:00 PM
If you ever watch the old NBA its so funny how bad the were. Bill Russell was basically a skinny Joel Anthony with no hops

Chronz
03-26-2013, 11:11 PM
If you ever watch the old NBA its so funny how bad the were. Bill Russell was basically a skinny Joel Anthony with no hops

Based on what tho?

CityofTreez
03-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Based on what tho?

There is no measurable stat for "athleticism" and I think that's what he meant.

You can't gauge the level of athleticism, but its alot more visible in today's game.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Well yeah, it was a laughably low figure and Id LOVE to see your facts behind this opinion.

Totally not what Im arguing against, its your specific figures and gross exaggerations that I took offense to.

players had less bulk back then. If you take offense to that, so be it. Do you think Prince and Corey Brewer set the mark for thin SF's?

amos1er
03-26-2013, 11:30 PM
Ill take the opinion of the non Kobe fan thank you very much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2zonUdXJkQ

I'll take the opinion of 11 time GOAT coaching champion Phil Jackson thank you very much.

Phil Jackson:

"That Miami Finals really was a tough one to swallow," Jackson said before the Lakers won 96-91 on Saturday night in Dallas. "I think Wade averaged about 25 foul shots a game. You couldn't even touch him. That was really tough to swallow and I think he understood there's kind of a pecking order in this league and you keep your mouth shut at times.''

What about your boy T-Mac?

Mcgrady in an interview:

Interviewer: Were you rooting for them or Dallas?
TMac: Shaq is like a big brother of mine. I have known him
for awhile so I was pulling for him. But I wanted to keep
the ring in the West so i was pulling for Dallas.

Interviewer: Yeah but Dallas, how can you root for Dallas?

TMac: Well I wanted to root for Dallas because thats the
same team we took 7 games into the playoffs a couple of
years ago, so I wanted to root for them just so everyone
knows how good they are.

Interviewer: Was it a little ridiculous how Dwyane Wade
got all the calls?
TMac: Yeah, yeah it really was. I'll tell you man, it
seems if you were watching that game, seemed like it was
rigged. Seriously. I know the NBA.... (cut off by
interviewer)

Interviewer: You just got fined (sarcastically)
TMac: I dont care. So what? But yeah it seemed like it
was rigged. With all the calls he was getting. Jesus. Did
you hear me? We are talking about the NBA Finals, I wish
I could say I was just kidding, and thats what it seemed
like.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 11:36 PM
There is no measurable stat for "athleticism" and I think that's what he meant.

You can't gauge the level of athleticism, but its alot more visible in today's game.
LOL thats not what he said at all, he made a measurable claim of one aspect of athleticism. Leaping ability. Suggesting Russell could not jump, when in reality he was an incredible leaper and could reach higher than most players today.

And I dont doubt that, I doubt the accuracy of his opinion.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 11:36 PM
players had less bulk back then. If you take offense to that, so be it. Do you think Prince and Corey Brewer set the mark for thin SF's?

AGAIN:

No need to keep this going broski, your lack of evidence says it all.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 11:38 PM
I'll take the opinion of 11 time GOAT coaching champion Phil Jackson thank you very much.

Phil Jackson:

Mcgrady in an interview:

Well played sir. Tho technically, hes still a Laker fan.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 11:42 PM
AGAIN:

No need to keep this going broski, your lack of evidence says it all.

dude, I am not going at it. My dad played then, was a SF, 6'6", 202 lbs, played professionally. He said he was about average for his position. The weights have increased. Period. If you want me to poll everyone who played, meh, not doing it. Muscle mass has increased broski, due to training, nutrition, and drugs. In every sport that size, speed, and strength helps.

There are STILL guys who are 6'7" who weigh 195 lbs dripping wet. But the players now simply are physically stronger, on average. If you need evidence, not sure what to tell you. They didn't measure bench press, sprints, body fat, speed, and all the other garbage the athletes now train for at the combine, and to make sure they make the NBA.

The athletes (not the players skill level) are simply better now. I don't need to give you mathematical evidence of this, its freakin obvious.

daleja424
03-26-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm still dying for someone to explain to me how Lebron was supposedly being a douche calling out their streak.

Most people didn't read the quote... They just read the thread title and started bashing lebron. Typical...

Chronz
03-26-2013, 11:52 PM
dude, I am not going at it. My dad played then, was a SF, 6'6", 202 lbs, played professionally. He said he was about average for his position. The weights have increased. Period. If you want me to poll everyone who played, meh, not doing it. Muscle mass has increased broski, due to training, nutrition, and drugs. In every sport that size, speed, and strength helps.

There are STILL guys who are 6'7" who weigh 195 lbs dripping wet. But the players now simply are physically stronger, on average. If you need evidence, not sure what to tell you. They didn't measure bench press, sprints, body fat, speed, and all the other garbage the athletes now train for at the combine, and to make sure they make the NBA.

The athletes (not the players skill level) are simply better now. I don't need to give you mathematical evidence of this, its freakin obvious.

So then why pass off your opinion as fact? Why give estimates with no factual backing?

Just stick to saying the athletes are better without attempting to quantify any measure of athleticism because it makes it seem like you have facts to back it.

Again, Bron is a SF/PF hybrid in todays league, pretty sure they werent 190 back in the 70's. If you mean to say that maybe 1 individual was, then feel free to name these individuals.

Hawkeye15
03-26-2013, 11:56 PM
So then why pass off your opinion as fact? Why give estimates with no factual backing?

Just stick to saying the athletes are better without attempting to quantify any measure of athleticism because it makes it seem like you have facts to back it.

Again, Bron is a SF/PF hybrid in todays league, pretty sure they werent 190 back in the 70's. If you mean to say that maybe 1 individual was, then feel free to name these individuals.

when did I say one individual was? There are players now that are SF's who weigh 190. I am saying in general, players are stronger now, due to the need to be stronger. Its evolution.

What facts do I need to present? Watch old games, and watch modern games. Guys are stronger, have more bulk, and have less bodyfat with that size compared to yesterday. I don't need to give you evidence. If you don't see it, oh well.

Jimmer55
03-27-2013, 12:03 AM

Phil Jackson:

Mcgrady in an interview:

My whole point is, why ruin the integrity of the game? Why? The world is so full of evil, so why can't we have the purity of sport? I don't watch soap operas and wrestling because I don't like it. That's why college basketball, especially march madness, is the best basketball there is.

Chronz
03-27-2013, 12:11 AM
when did I say one individual was?
You didn't you made a generalization and I took it as you attempting to give an estimate of an average. When that didn't work you mentioned individual players and I thought you were speaking about a select few from the era.

If its neither of those then what exactly was your specific figure trying to get at?

There are players now that are SF's who weigh 190. I am saying in general, players are stronger now, due to the need to be stronger. Its evolution.
In general yes, specifically tho, your figures were laughably low IMO. Thats what Im getting at. The fact that you keep reverting to an argument that I never contested speaks volumes. Its the numbers your trotting that I question. You know how I am when it comes to numbers, I need FACTS. If you cant provide them then just stick to saying the athletes are better.

What facts do I need to present?
Facts that support this opinion:
LeBron is 270 now, playing a position where they weighed 195-210 back then

Bron is a hybrid 3/4. Im pretty sure they (whether you mean average or 1 individual) werent that small. I mean the smallest 3/4 I know of from those days was Billy Cunningham, and he was 6"6/6"7 210 in COLLEGE, by the 70's the players who lasted from the 60's were continuing to beef up. Again, dude was considered small for a hybrid forward BACK THEN and even he eclipses your mark.

Watch old games, and watch modern games. Guys are stronger, have more bulk, and have less bodyfat with that size compared to yesterday.
Seen them. Notice how you keep repeating the same lines that I have already agreed to. Yet unable to substantiate your SPECIFIC claims.

I don't need to give you evidence. If you don't see it, oh well.
LOL you always need evidence when providing numbers. If you just want to say the athletes are better (something I already agreed with) then just stick to the generalities and leave the specifics alone.

mjt20mik
03-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Lets see Bron, Wade and Bosh play against handcheck. Dudes complain like no other

HouRealCoach
03-27-2013, 12:26 AM
So OKC, Lakers, Chicago, New York, Indiana, Clippers, & Grizzlies are kids? WOW

HouRealCoach
03-27-2013, 12:29 AM
I seriously doubt it but i'm only 30, still in my prime. I would wipe the floor with that kid.

SportsFanatic10
03-27-2013, 12:58 AM

Holy ****, don't you think you're a little old to be trolling so much lol? In the vast majority of your posts/threads you sound like an incredibly biased and impressionable 10 year old fanboy.

asandhu23
03-27-2013, 01:04 AM

you are kidding right?

Jimmer55
03-27-2013, 01:05 AM
Holy ****, don't you think you're a little old to be trolling so much lol? In the vast majority of your posts/threads you sound like an incredibly biased and impressionable 10 year old fanboy.

I'll be here when i'm 90, kid. Just like my handles and set shot will still be lethal at 90.

LOOTERX9
03-27-2013, 01:12 AM
ok this just means that Jerry West played against older aged trash players more often than lebron. Still does not change the fact that the players were less athletic and less skilled back in the 70's.

03-27-2013, 01:25 AM
ehhhh, wee bit of a cop out by jerry west..

The league isn't reeeallly run by 19 year olds, although they are allowed to play. And due to technological improvements over the years in sports excercise/muscle development, you could say the average man in today's league are more manly than before (in terms of body size)

03-27-2013, 01:26 AM
I'll be here when i'm 90, kid. Just like my handles and set shot will still be lethal at 90.

ooo i love a little bit of basketball skillz banter

Jimmer55
03-27-2013, 01:30 AM
ooo i love a little bit of basketball skillz banter

Are you coming onto me?

LeperMessiah
03-27-2013, 01:47 AM

Dummy post of the thread...

LeperMessiah
03-27-2013, 01:48 AM
West had to defend this supposed threat on Lakers.

asandhu23
03-27-2013, 02:00 AM
ok this just means that Jerry West played against older aged trash players more often than lebron. Still does not change the fact that the players were less athletic and less skilled back in the 70's.

There were a lot of athletic and very skilled players in the old era. Elgin Baylor, Connie Hawkins, Kareem, Gus Johnson, Havlicek , Wilt, Russell, Thurmond, Oscar Robertson, Earl Monroe, Dave Debusschere, Keith Erickson, Bob Dandridge, Dave Cowens, Elvin Hayes, Bob McAdoo, Pete Maravich, Walt, Bob Lanier, Sam Jones, Walt Bellamy, Gail Goodrich, etc, etc.

asandhu23
03-27-2013, 02:02 AM
ehhhh, wee bit of a cop out by jerry west..

The league isn't reeeallly run by 19 year olds, although they are allowed to play. And due to technological improvements over the years in sports excercise/muscle development, you could say the average man in today's league are more manly than before (in terms of body size)

There you go. Sure, the average is much more athletic but a lot of the players from that era were just as athletic as today's players. Their athleticism came from track, baseball, football, swimming etc which were very popular in that era.

LeperMessiah
03-27-2013, 02:06 AM
At the same time, everybody had the same level of competitiveness (as in the diet and exercising trends) were relatively the same among the peers at that time (70s). While all that is improved today, everybody has access to it today. Regardless of what era it was, the opponents they were facing were at their physical best.

amos1er
03-27-2013, 02:25 AM
Well played sir. Tho technically, hes still a Laker fan.

Why thank you...though T-Mac isn't a Laker fan last I checked...

DumDum
03-27-2013, 02:26 AM
West is a old fart

amos1er
03-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Is Hector the new internet porn peddler?

amos1er
03-27-2013, 02:34 AM
My whole point is, why ruin the integrity of the game? Why? The world is so full of evil, so why can't we have the purity of sport? I don't watch soap operas and wrestling because I don't like it. That's why college basketball, especially march madness, is the best basketball there is.

Money is the root of all evil. If they could eliminate sports betting, overpaid athletes, and corporate profits, then the NBA would be more of a pure sport similar to college basketball. Then we wouldn't have to endure travesties like the 2006 NBA finals and Andrew Bynum.

#TmSmokesSachs
03-27-2013, 02:40 AM
The Logo is right.

Look, I am loving this streak as much as any Heat fan, but the league is a much more watered down version today than it was back then. Beating alot of the scrub teams we have doesnt impress me all that much.

The holy grail of records are as follows:

15-1, and 72-10.

End of story.

naps
03-27-2013, 02:55 AM
LeBron was absolutely right. Being older doesn't mean you are a better player. And I don't see many, if any, 19 year olds in contending teams playing significant minutes. League has more talent now and is more competitive. There's no question about it.

naps
03-27-2013, 02:57 AM
LeBron had many haters from various teams since for his first 2 years in Miami but it's funny how kobephiles have become his lone haters now. They bleed LeBron, sleep LeBron, jerk off LeBron.

#TmSmokesSachs
03-27-2013, 03:10 AM
LeBron had many haters from various teams since for his first 2 years in Miami but it's funny how kobephiles have become his lone haters now. They bleed LeBron, sleep LeBron, jerk off LeBron.

You're letting your "kobephile" hate blind you here. LeBron is just defending himself and his team, but is wrong here.

The truth is, the downward slide started when the Raptors, Magic, Hornets, Grizzlies, and Bobcats came into existance. Without those teams, you have excellent bench depth as well as starter depth on teams across the entire League.

You cannot argue this truth. It is a watered down product today compared to the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Yes, I do realize my Heat are a part of that "expansion" club....it is still the absolute truth, though.

Like I said: 15-1, and 72-10. Those are the Holy Grails.

Jimmer55
03-27-2013, 03:13 AM
The Logo is right.

Look, I am loving this streak as much as any Heat fan, but the league is a much more watered down version today than it was back then. Beating alot of the scrub teams we have doesnt impress me all that much.

15-1, and 72-10.

End of story.

Wow, actually a good post.

el hidalgos mom
03-27-2013, 03:16 AM
Wow, actually a good post.

too bad that can never be said about any of your posts :facepalm:

Cracka2HI!
03-27-2013, 03:22 AM
It's been a fun night!

Shlumpledink
03-27-2013, 03:34 AM
Solid points

amos1er
03-27-2013, 05:58 AM
You're letting your "kobephile" hate blind you here. LeBron is just defending himself and his team, but is wrong here.

The truth is, the downward slide started when the Raptors, Magic, Hornets, Grizzlies, and Bobcats came into existance. Without those teams, you have excellent bench depth as well as starter depth on teams across the entire League.

You cannot argue this truth. It is a watered down product today compared to the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

Yes, I do realize my Heat are a part of that "expansion" club....it is still the absolute truth, though.

Like I said: 15-1, and 72-10. Those are the Holy Grails.

D12fan, is that you?

amos1er
03-27-2013, 06:00 AM

So now we have hidalgo, el hidalgo, and el hidalgos mom??? Really??? Are you kidding me??? Mods are you for real???

justinnum1
03-27-2013, 09:36 AM

So now we have hidalgo, el hidalgo, and el hidalgos mom??? Really??? Are you kidding me??? Mods are you for real???
:cry:

theheatles
03-27-2013, 10:17 AM
West is delusional with nostalgia

ChitownBears22
03-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Yeah West fails to neglect logic. LeBron plays in a league full of players that were groomed to play ball. West played against thinned out competition in an era where the most talented players might not have had the means to play professionally.

Sly Guy
03-27-2013, 10:34 AM
"I don't cover losers"
lol, gold!

mdm692
03-27-2013, 12:49 PM
And those kids would run circles around those men.

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Isn't it just safe to say that both sides have solid arguments, but we should just appreciate the streaks for what they are? The writer of this article makes some good points and some really mediocre ones where he's really stretching. But at the end of the day, the arguments don't really mean jack ****. Somebody will have the record and somebody won't. If the Heat get it, there's no amount of arguing or finger pointing that will change that fact. And if they fall short, it won't matter either. A record is a record is a record. And while we can certainly provide context to that record when we discuss it, the record will always stand until it is broken.

LOOTERX9
03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
The Logo is right.

15-1, and 72-10.

End of story.

this post is nonsense. The 71' lakers played against a couple expansion teams on top of not playing all the top players cause half of them were in the ABA. It is a absolute joke that we are having this debate. like I said before I even respect kobe's 81 point game more than wilt's 100 point game. Today's individual players are just more physically gifted overall.

Tony_Starks
03-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Lebron "disses" Lakers? West "fires back?" You guys act like this is Pac beefing with Biggie. They both made fair observations....

Munkeysuit
03-27-2013, 01:48 PM
That was Wests Anxiety medication talking, please forgive him...

LOOTERX9
03-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Lebron "disses" Lakers? West "fires back?" You guys act like this is Pac beefing with Biggie. They both made fair observations....

actually west's observation is just wishful thinking. lebron would have made both wilt and russel look slow and stationary. lebron is their size with a dribble and outside game. It's a complete mismatch. Same goes for most of today's stars compared to the good ole days

I Rock Shaqs
03-27-2013, 01:50 PM
I wish I could play with 19 year old boys...

LOOTERX9
03-27-2013, 02:08 PM
I wish I could play with 19 year old boys...

Umm Nevermind..

Tony_Starks
03-27-2013, 02:14 PM
actually west's observation is just wishful thinking. lebron would have made
both wilt and russel look slow and stationary. lebron is their size with a dribble and outside game. It's a complete mismatch. Same goes for most of today's stars compared to the good ole days

I think you're missing the point. He's not comparing era's he comparing competition. To say a league full of college vets is more competitive than a league full of "kids" is a fair observation.

Just look at the overall draft talent since the one and done rule its been getting weaker and weaker. A lot of players that do turn out to be stars are emerging after their second or third year....

Lakers + Giants
03-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Funny, you you bleed, sleep and jerkoff off to kobephiles.

mngopher35
03-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Agreed, people have made something out of nothing. Both players just stated some facts/observations about each era. I think both of them have stated that both records are amazing as well, and they aren't discrediting them.

BSplaya2121
03-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Well ill tell ya..... if bill lambeer was playing now, lebron would not want to drive the lane at all lol.

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-27-2013, 04:10 PM
first off laker fans should never post about the heat because its starting to get annoying, especially when they dish it out but cry when you dish it back.
second, lebron was responding Walt Frazier, who said he wasnt impressed with the record because "the league is watered down" and that the Heat arent a top 10 team all time. So LeBron said the league is better now, and west replied with this.

Media always twists the stories around, and the haters clearly dont utlize google nor their brain and put 2 and 2 together, instead they jump on the oppurtunity to create some drama.

BULLSFAN0810
03-27-2013, 06:36 PM
West checked him... what i think Bron said has Merit, West comment does also. All these children in the NBA trying to be friends, buddying up, the best talent on one or 2 teams or ten years from developing into a useful NBA PLAYER. I think Bron is great but i dont see no MJ in him,meaning if someone was as bad(good) as he came along, i dont think LBJ would actually try to cement his status as the best and take the guy down a notch. When/If Durant becomes fierce or ROSE(yes Rose) becomes as we in Chicago see him ,we will see what James is made of. We seen him byhimself and he couldnt/didnt want to dominate like now. now we see him winning with a great cast. what happens when a team comes along that rivals him and the wins dont come as easy? all the teams that can beat them daily are in the west.

bucketss
03-27-2013, 06:39 PM
West checked him... what i think Bron said has Merit, West comment does also. All these children in the NBA trying to be friends, buddying up, the best talent on one or 2 teams or ten years from developing into a useful NBA PLAYER. I think Bron is great but i dont see no MJ in him,meaning if someone was as bad(good) as he came along, i dont think LBJ would actually try to cement his status as the best and take the guy down a notch. When/If Durant becomes fierce or ROSE(yes Rose) becomes as we in Chicago see him ,we will see what James is made of. We seen him byhimself and he couldnt/didnt want to dominate like now. now we see him winning with a great cast. what happens when a team comes along that rivals him and the wins dont come as easy? all the teams that can beat them daily are in the west.

lol @ rose. don't hold your breath.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
As great as Lebron is, he is probably a bit lucky to be playing in what feels like a centerless era. Lebron can not change what era he plays in but he could show a little more respect for the greats of the past. I do not know which record is more impressive but I do not look at that Miami team as the greatest team of all time.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-27-2013, 07:03 PM
Chrome, I do not know if West is reading PSD but Jamal Crawford used to read the Knicks board. He mentioned it a few times. His sister may have even posted. At least somebody claiming to be his sister used to post. I do not know which record is more impressive but I know West is a class act so he must have really felt this needed to be said. I think Lebron has been doing a good job rehabbing his image in the last year so I think he should just let his play do the talking from here on out.

This thread is about Jerry West's comments. I tend to agree with Jerry but maybe that is because I like and respect Jerry West a lot. Please stop using this thread to take shots at another poster.

tapajafri
03-27-2013, 07:07 PM
So West is basically taking a shot at the rest of the NBA, not the Heat. He's basically saying the Heat are beating teams/kids that arent on the same level as the teams his laker team competed against.

West is right in that sense, though. The Knicks, lakers, bulls, etc.... they're just child's play. The heat are head and shoulders above the rest of the NBA and the only team that comes close is the spurs.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-27-2013, 07:11 PM
So West is basically taking a shot at the rest of the NBA, not the Heat. He's basically saying the Heat are beating teams/kids that arent on the same level as the teams his laker team competed against.

West is right in that sense, though. The Knicks, lakers, bulls, etc.... they're just child's play. The heat are head and shoulders above the rest of the NBA and the only team that comes close is the spurs.

Don't the Heat have a losing record vs the Knicks this season? The Heat have a great player in Lebron but they are not as dominant a team as this current streak would imply in my opinion.

tapajafri
03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Don't the Heat have a losing record vs the Knicks this season? The Heat have a great player in Lebron but they are not as dominant a team as this current streak would imply in my opinion.

that doesnt really mean much when you compare the two teams overall. It's the NBA, sometimes lesser teams beat better teams. The Kings beat the Clippers last week. The wizards beat the lakers. Etc etc. The heat are head and shoulders above everyone and that includes the Knicks. I agree with you to an extent about the team not being as dominate as the streak shows, but it's hard to completely agree when they're so balanced. They attack the rim and knock down open 3's. They get out and run, throwing lobs all over the place. But I hear what you're saying and I would agree that from a TEAM aspect, they're not as good as this streak shows. I've seen better all-around TEAMS that havent had 15-20 game winning streaks.... that's a really hard thing to do.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-27-2013, 07:25 PM
that doesnt really mean much when you compare the two teams overall. It's the NBA, sometimes lesser teams beat better teams. The Kings beat the Clippers last week. The wizards beat the lakers. Etc etc. The heat are head and shoulders above everyone and that includes the Knicks. I agree with you to an extent about the team not being as dominate as the streak shows, but it's hard to completely agree when they're so balanced. They attack the rim and knock down open 3's. They get out and run, throwing lobs all over the place. But I hear what you're saying and I would agree that from a TEAM aspect, they're not as good as this streak shows. I've seen better all-around TEAMS that havent had 15-20 game winning streaks.... that's a really hard thing to do.

I agree about the Heat vs the Knicks. I only put that record up to show that at times the Heat have won without being dominate. I think some teams through out NBA history have had a worse record but have been much more dominate. It reminds me of the Seattle Mariners setting the MLB record for wins and then losing in the first round of the playoffs. I'm not saying the Heat will lose in the playoffs. I'm just saying that I do not feel they are nearly as dominate as that streak would imply. I feel they have a great player and are on a great roll. In 1982 I felt like the 76ers were dominate. I do not get that same feeling from the Heat. Moses said they were going to go "fo fo fo" and run the playoffs and he was darn close. They only lost 1 game in the playoffs. I expect the Heat will lose more than 1 playoff game.

3RDASYSTEM
03-27-2013, 07:59 PM
WEST and BRON both said basically same thing, they dissed each other but showed respect

its like RUSSELL choosing all the old time players on his allnba alltime team with the exception of JORDAN

we all feel like the era we witnessed is the best, both streaks are impressive

even more the 72' squad because I heard they could have won more than 70 games easily, they took foot off pedal at end of season

asandhu23
03-28-2013, 05:15 PM
this post is nonsense. The 71' lakers played against a couple expansion teams on top of not playing all the top players cause half of them were in the ABA. It is a absolute joke that we are having this debate. like I said before I even respect kobe's 81 point game more than wilt's 100 point game. Today's individual players are just more physically gifted overall.

People like you need to get this notion out of your heads. No one is physically gifted with anything other than height. They have to work at it or they are just another tall schmuck.