PDA

View Full Version : You are the owner of new expansion team

jericho
03-26-2013, 09:33 AM
I saw this a long time ago and decided to bring it back. Now you are the owner of the new expansion team the questions are.

What city would you pick?
What players would you try to select? (Remember for the supplemental draft the teams get to protect 8 players so be realistic when making your selections)
Who would you try to select as gm?
Who would be your coach?
Name of the team?

Oh and feel free to add more questions

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
What city would you pick? Seattle (I'd say Windsor, because that's where I'm from, but I'm trying to be realistic here lol).

What players would you try to select? I dunno... it depends on who teams protect.. too hard to say, but I'd try to get guys like Haslem and Kris Humphries in the front court.

Who would you try to select as gm? I would raid the Spurs' front office for scouts and GM. Prichard might be a good pick, I think he's unemployed right now.

Who would be your coach? I'd try for Phil Jackson, but I'd settle for giving Brian Shaw a chance or Flip Suanders.

Name of the team? Since it's Seattle, I'd say either the Grunge, or the Supersonics ;-)

mightybosstone
03-26-2013, 10:04 AM
What city would you pick? Austin
What players would you try to select? Going through several teams' rosters and trying to be as fair as possible, I went with these guys: PG Reggie Jackson, PG Nate Robinson, SG MarShon Brooks, SG Courtney Lee, SF Jordan Hamilton, SF Carlos Delfino, PF Terrence Jones, PF Jason Maxiell, C Javale McGee and C Marcus Camby. That would give me a decent mix of young guys and veterans to keep the team competitive in games. This is of course assuming that better players didn't become available because of cap considerations. As an expansion team, I wouldn't mind taking back one or two bad contracts.
Who would you try to select as gm? Bill Simmons
Who would be your coach? Chris Finch, Daryl Morey's coach in waiting and assistant coach of the Rockets. I'd want to go with a young guy who my young players could gel with and grow with.
Name of the team? Something having to do with either politics, music or the weirdness of Austin. I'm thinking maybe the Austin Rockers, Jammers, Capitols, Senators, Liberals or Weirdos.

Dade County
03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
First things first...

I would have a private meeting with Adam Silver... I would bring him gold and woman, I would creatively name my building & team after him, by fitting in his last name somewhere.

I would open up charities in his name...etc

Step 2
I would get in good with Vegas ( This means, most of the time try to make them money; by working the spread line (Like how a select few do it now)).

Step 3 ( Location of new franchise )
I would either start in Pittsburgh, or the florida Keys.

Die hard fans in Pittsburgh... And i think it would be easy to sign free agents, if I had a team in the Florida Keys.

Step 4 ( supplemental draft )

I would only select players that are young... I am in full tank mode for 3 to 4 years. By this team, my Boss Adam Silver, would have gave me two top 3 picks, if I have made him happy, maybe 2 number 1 picks.

And of course I would pick up two veterans, to give the public perception that I am trying to build up a good locker room.

Step 5 Gm & Coach
I would go after a GM that the league has build favoritism towards.

Phil Jackson or a disciple of Pat Riley.

Then I will have one of them pick my coach... So they can easily control him, like coach Spo.

(Note: not in order )

akesh99
03-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Team: Vancouver Bears
President and GM: Sam Hinkie (Salary cap/advanced stats expert currently exec VP with Rockets)
Coach: Brian Shaw
15 Man Roster:
Ezeli/K.Brown/Bonner
Bargnani/R.Evans/Gooden
D. Wright/R.Brewer/J.Johnson
Stuckey/Delfino/D.Stevenson
A.Miller/Barea/Mills

Rockice_8
03-26-2013, 01:10 PM
I saw this a long time ago and decided to bring it back. Now you are the owner of the new expansion team the questions are.

What city would you pick?
What players would you try to select? (Remember for the supplemental draft the teams get to protect 8 players so be realistic when making your selections)
Who would be your coach?
Name of the team?

Oh and feel free to add more questions

Huh that's an interesting question. I'll play along.

City: Charleston, SC
Team Name: Cyborgs
GM: Isiah Thomas (yes I know but he's a very good drafter and as an expansion team we'd probably be picking high in the first few years of the existence so I think he'd do a solid job. I'd certainly keep him on a short leach though with trades.)
Coach: Doug Collins (big fan of his and I think he's done in Philly after the year so I'd look to bring him in as a head figure most young guys should look up too.)

Players are tough as not sure who teams would hold onto but I'll try for some end of the rotation guys

Starting 5 would be something like this
PG: Luke Ridnour
SG: Gerald Green
SF: Toko Shengelia
PF: Andrea Bargnani (yeah they are dying to dump him)
C: Timothy Mozgov

utl768
03-26-2013, 01:15 PM
montreal, canada (always liked this city)

id take the 15 cheapest players i could find all with one year contracts that way id be guarenteed a very high pick to pair with the high pick id get in my first draft. id also have a ton of cap room flexibility to build with

lkingratedr
03-26-2013, 02:13 PM
First I'd put a team in las vegas
Hire Donnie Walsh as my general manager he puts quality playoff teams together
Phil Jackson to coach it if I can
First season go super tank mode get 2 high draft picks to draft probably a good Sg/at and a Pf/c

But my first season team would consist of

Pg/ Jose Calderon Reggie Jackson Cj Watson

Sg/Marshon brooks Ben Gordon Anthony morrow

Sf/ grant hill Chris Copeland Corey maggette

Pf/ Andrei bargani Kris hump rasheed Wallace

C/ javale mcgee Chris Andersen Marcus camby

rapjuicer06
03-26-2013, 03:38 PM
What city would you pick? Coralville, Iowa..5 miles north of Iowa City and 15 miles South of Cedar Rapids

Andre Miller/Kendall Marshall/Jerrod Bayless
Marshon Brooks/Courtney Lee/Jeremy Lamb
Sam Young/Chase Budinger
John Henson/Royce White/Terrance Jones
Viacheslav Kravtsov/Timofey Mozgov

Then I'd draft Noel Nerlens 1st overall this year
Then Next years first I'd take Andrew Wiggins

So come 2014 season I'd have a line up of

Miller/Marshall/Bayless
Brooks/Lamb/Lee
Wiggins/Young/Budinger
Noel/Henson/White/Jones
Mozgov/Kravtsov

No Clue

Who would be your coach?
Stan Van Gundy

Name of the team?
Iowa Coyotes? **** if I know

ATX
03-26-2013, 04:22 PM
What city would you pick? Austin
What players would you try to select? Going through several teams' rosters and trying to be as fair as possible, I went with these guys: PG Reggie Jackson, PG Nate Robinson, SG MarShon Brooks, SG Courtney Lee, SF Jordan Hamilton, SF Carlos Delfino, PF Terrence Jones, PF Jason Maxiell, C Javale McGee and C Marcus Camby. That would give me a decent mix of young guys and veterans to keep the team competitive in games. This is of course assuming that better players didn't become available because of cap considerations. As an expansion team, I wouldn't mind taking back one or two bad contracts.
Who would you try to select as gm? Bill Simmons
Who would be your coach? Chris Finch, Daryl Morey's coach in waiting and assistant coach of the Rockets. I'd want to go with a young guy who my young players could gel with and grow with.
Name of the team? Something having to do with either politics, music or the weirdness of Austin. I'm thinking maybe the Austin Rockers, Jammers, Capitols, Senators, Liberals or Weirdos.

:hi5:

Nats_vcu-Okc35
03-26-2013, 04:42 PM
Location: RVA/VA Beach (I know Va beach was briefly in the running for the Kings, but i believe RVA could support a basketball team, as we are already a basketball-centric community.)
Team Name: Knights (Tie in to the ABA squires)

Colors: Black/Gold/Red.

Co-GM: Bill Simmons/John Hollinger (I think this could create an good system of checks and balances. At the least, it would create some interest.

Coach: 1. Brian Shaw 2. Stan Van Gundy 3. Mike Woodson

Focus of team to start: Defense/Ball Security. Loses early, but as players are turned over, having a defensive base makes for an environment where a supreme talent can shine, and is the kind of team I would like.

Players: Young Upside and Defensive Minded vets. I'm not sure who would be available, but I would be willing to gamble and overpay on one high upside guy. Then value and youth become top priority.

Draft Targets:
Pg: If I had a lottery pick and I didn't get a first, I would be going after Marcus Smart or Trey Burke
Sg:acquire M. Snaer if I don't have to draft him
Sf: Go after Andrew Wiggins when he enters the league
Pf/C:Draft Noel if I get the first

True Sports Fan
03-26-2013, 05:44 PM

Kendall Marshall / Toney Douglas
Carlos Delfino / Shane Battier / Omri Casspi
Aminu / Jordan Hamilton / James Johnson
Drew Gooden / Chuck Hayes
Donatas Motiejunas / Greg Stiemsma / Hasheem Thabeet

GM: Daryl Morey

Coach: Gregg Popovich

Name of the team: Bullets

goose14741
03-27-2013, 09:00 PM
Windsor ny?

What city would you pick? Seattle (I'd say Windsor, because that's where I'm from, but I'm trying to be realistic here lol).

What players would you try to select? I dunno... it depends on who teams protect.. too hard to say, but I'd try to get guys like Haslem and Kris Humphries in the front court.

Who would you try to select as gm? I would raid the Spurs' front office for scouts and GM. Prichard might be a good pick, I think he's unemployed right now.

Who would be your coach? I'd try for Phil Jackson, but I'd settle for giving Brian Shaw a chance or Flip Suanders.

Name of the team? Since it's Seattle, I'd say either the Grunge, or the Supersonics ;-)

KnicksorBust
03-27-2013, 09:04 PM
Awesome idea for a thread. Denver would be like "We only get to save how many? Oh ****."

monty77
03-28-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm going to answer one question: what kind of players I would like to have in my team during the first three years.

1st year: I would bring 3 o 4 draft selections. Actually, I'd do that every year as far as I would have a decent team, that is in the best, in 3-4 years if we have good luck like Oklahoma, which selected players like Durant, Westbrook or Ibaka.

I'd take 4 or 5 proper free agents of middle level and I would made enjoy people signing players like Alen Iverson, Tracy McGrady and others old players who instruct the younger ones.

2nd year: I'd transfer the best player I signed last year as free agent in exchange of a high pick in the draft and I'd pick 3 o 4 draft selections too. We may already have 3 or 4 real good young players in the team so it's the moment of remove Iverson's and McGrady's numbers (a new team soon have to make story ) and surround them with proper, defensive players.

3th year: show team is over, it's moment to change our mind and sign another coach. A defensive guru coach preferably. If we pick two players in draft our teams should look like: 6-7 young players chosen in three different drafts; 3-4 defensive players chosen in free agent market; 3-4 veteran players.

If we belong to East Conference, we'll maybe get a playoff spot, how knows?