PDA

View Full Version : How good will the Hornets be in 3 years?

Clippersfan86
03-25-2013, 10:36 PM
They are one of those teams that are way better than their record and they seem to push contenders to their limits regularly with their grit and D despite being short all year. Assuming EJ stays healthy and the young core keeps developing how good will they become?

beasted86
03-25-2013, 10:38 PM
They would have to draft a superstar in one of the next 3 drafts to make any real noise.

Their outside shooting is weak, their wing defense sucks, they have no true leader, and I'm not sold on Gordon as a closer.

king4day
03-25-2013, 10:41 PM
They will likely get another high lottery pick this season. They should have enough assets and money to bring in a star in that time. I see them as, at the very least, a 2nd round playoff contender.

maddBat
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM
**pelicans.

i like their team. the core of vasquez, gordon and davis is pretty sollid to build around.

Clippersfan86
03-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Also don't forget the super underrated, still young Ryan Anderson.

Bishnoff
03-25-2013, 10:59 PM
Not as good as the Cavs in 3 years time.

5ass
03-25-2013, 11:03 PM
they will draft mclemore and trade Gordon for Deng+picks

Bishnoff
03-25-2013, 11:27 PM

Only if they win the Lottery. The currently have the 7th worst record, and McLemore is likely to go 1st overall.

NoahH
03-25-2013, 11:42 PM
Eric Gordon is a scrub they need to trade him to go anywhere

DreamShaker
03-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Am I the only one who thinks The Brow was a tad overhyped? They really go as far as he goes. They are banking on him to be "The Man".

JeffG20
03-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Eric Gordon is a scrub they need to trade him to go anywhere

i'd be shocked if he's here begining of next season.

should of traded him for Klay Thomson and called it a day

JeffG20
03-25-2013, 11:50 PM
Am I the only one who thinks The Brow was a tad overhyped? They really go as far as he goes. They are banking on him to be "The Man".

he's been as good as advertised.... lack of minutes + health issues have prevented him from putting up the numbers on a consistent basis. an offseason of bulking up and he'll be fine

asandhu23
03-25-2013, 11:54 PM
lol. Eric Gordon is considered a scrub now? :laugh2: I remember when some of you guys were calling him one of the best shooting guards in the league. Looks like you guys are eating crow.

nolafan33
03-25-2013, 11:54 PM
Really depends on Gordon. Anthony Davis will be good enough to make this team competitive, the guy will be unstoppable in his prime. Ryan Anderson is a elite 4th option, and Austin Rivers was showing some excellent signs before his injury. Also don't count out the fact that Greivis Vasquez and Robin Lopez could be bench players by then.

asandhu23
03-25-2013, 11:55 PM
and no one can predict the future. in 3 years, you might not even have the same core of players.

nolafan33
03-26-2013, 12:00 AM
he's been as good as advertised.... lack of minutes + health issues have prevented him from putting up the numbers on a consistent basis. an offseason of bulking up and he'll be fine

They're finally putting more on him since JSmiths injury and he's really living up to the hype. 16 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game. Look it up, those are incredible numbers for a rookie big who only played one year in college. He's going to be a top 5 player in the league by the time he's up for a new contract.

JeffG20
03-26-2013, 12:03 AM
in any event, i hope we can get something for Gordon. i know he's playing on a bum ankle but its the same old story different day with the guy.

Vasques would be good on the bench like you said but he's good enough to start somewhere

JasonJohnHorn
03-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Their success rests heavily on the the development and health of Anthony Davis. If he reaches his potential and stays healthy, he is the type of guy that can keep them in contention every season so long as you have some good pieces around him. Vasquez has had some great nights. I'm not a big Eric Gordon fan myself, and I expect he won't be with the team by the time his contract runs out, but there are those who think he's the $#!T. Ryan Anderson is a nice piece. Hopefully they can pick up a quality starter in the draft this year. What they need is another double digit rebounds to play alongside Davis... Aminu might be that guy if he can get enough minutes.

JeffG20
03-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Aminu's option wasent picked up....not sure he stays

sep11ie
03-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Did you need to make 2 threads about up and coming teams?

Clippersfan86
Their success rests heavily on the the development and health of Anthony Davis. If he reaches his potential and stays healthy, he is the type of guy that can keep them in contention every season so long as you have some good pieces around him. Vasquez has had some great nights. I'm not a big Eric Gordon fan myself, and I expect he won't be with the team by the time his contract runs out, but there are those who think he's the $#!T. Ryan Anderson is a nice piece. Hopefully they can pick up a quality starter in the draft this year. What they need is another double digit rebounds to play alongside Davis... Aminu might be that guy if he can get enough minutes.

Gordon when healthy (I know, oxymoron) is a VERY good player on both ends. One of the most complete perimeter players for sure. Can score 25 any given night and hit big shots in the clutch AND lock people up on defense. The last time he was truly healthy was 2010-2011 on the Clips and before injury he put up 24/5/4 for the first 3 months of the season. He's an underrated clutch guy too who loves shots in the clutch.

Download Clippers vs Jazz Nov 7th 2010 for yourself and you'll see everything you need to know about Eric Gordon.

Clippersfan86
Did you need to make 2 threads about up and coming teams?

One is about one team, didn't want to add something irrelevant like a 3 team comparison to such a specific thread. Relax.

NoahH
03-26-2013, 12:20 AM
i'd be shocked if he's here begining of next season.

should of traded him for Klay Thomson and called it a day

Dont get me wrong, EGordon has oodles of potential but hes lackadaisical and injury prone and i dont think he'll live up to the potential

JeffG20
03-26-2013, 12:25 AM
possible, but Golden state was ready to take him...we just got too greedy and asked for Barnes and Thompson

Clippersfan86
03-26-2013, 12:27 AM
People need to calm down on Gordon. Sure he's injured often but no way in mother fu**ing hell is Klay worth Gordon. Klay is a pure shooter who does pretty much NOTHING else. Gordon when healthy can do everything at a high level outside of rebound.

JeffG20
03-26-2013, 12:31 AM
People need to calm down on Gordon. Sure he's injured often but no way in mother fu**ing hell is Klay worth Gordon. Klay is a pure shooter who does pretty much NOTHING else. Gordon when healthy can do everything at a high level outside of rebound.

its nice thing to say If healthy, but thats not happening. i know he's young and he's really better then most think. i think your overestimating his value. i'd welcome that trade in a heartbeat at this point. Gordon probably is the better player but its all for nothing at this point.

JeffG20
03-26-2013, 12:32 AM
our medical staff is probably one of the worst in the league at that.

Clippersfan86
03-26-2013, 12:37 AM
its nice thing to say If healthy, but thats not happening. i know he's young and he's really better then most think. i think your overestimating his value. i'd welcome that trade in a heartbeat at this point. Gordon probably is the better player but its all for nothing at this point.

Remember Steph Curry in seasons prior to this one? Sick game, gobs of potential but that ankle got him every year for like 3 straight years? Now finally this year he's a legit all star who's dominating. Point is EJ is still good enough and young enough to where it's too soon to give up on him for a one dimensional, pure shooter. Not to mention the Hornets identity is a defensive one and Gordon is a part of that, Klay wouldn't fit that game plan for Monty Williams. You guys already have a few elite shooters, stick with the defensive identity.

I know Hornets fans are rightfully soured that he tried to bail to Phoenix and cried when the team matched but nonetheless he's a great all around player. He's a beast slashing to the rim, can get scorching hot from 3, has a nice midrange jumper and plays great defensively. He's got a legit chance to be the most complete SG in the game for the forseeable future.

asandhu23
03-26-2013, 12:46 AM

thank you. finally someone other than me said that. Warriors' fans other than me think he is the next incarnation of Ray Allen with Gary Payton like defense skills.

Clippersfan86
03-26-2013, 01:02 AM
thank you. finally someone other than me said that. Warriors' fans other than me think he is the next incarnation of Ray Allen with Gary Payton like defense skills.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to be on the Clippers and he gives SOME defensive effort at times. I forgot which superstar it was but he shut one down last month and it shocked the hell out of me because normally he's crap defensively. I just hate when people overrate him like he's already a premier player. He's not even as much of a complete player as JJ Redick for example.

JeffG20
03-26-2013, 01:16 AM
for the record i dont think he's elite or anything... i just want a guy who's capable and can stay on the floor. Gordon has little to no trade value. getting a guy like him would do our team wonders.

but in the scheme of things SF, Center, PG is a bigger priority

Chronz
03-26-2013, 01:16 AM
What do you mean way better than their record? Do you mean if Davis and Gordon stayed healthy or that they have underachieved given their talent?

As it stands I think they have the potential to be a somewhat unique/positionless team, if Davis develops his floor game and hones his defense. Right now they have like the 27th ranked defense so I get the sense thats where Davis really needs to elevate his game, I know he was touted as a great defender but it takes awhile to get used to positioning at this level, especially if hes going to play multiple positions like I hope he will in the future.

Clippersfan86
03-26-2013, 01:28 AM
What do you mean way better than their record? Do you mean if Davis and Gordon stayed healthy or that they have underachieved given their talent?

As it stands I think they have the potential to be a somewhat unique/positionless team, if Davis develops his floor game and hones his defense. Right now they have like the 27th ranked defense so I get the sense thats where Davis really needs to elevate his game, I know he was touted as a great defender but it takes awhile to get used to positioning at this level, especially if hes going to play multiple positions like I hope he will in the future.

Woah has their D slipped that bad??? I remember early in the season it was top 10 for a while and last year it was 14th or 15th. What I meant by better than their record is that they are more dangerous than you'd know if you just looked at their record. They seem to compete vs the best teams every time. Didn't they push the Spurs to the limits in a 2 point loss just last week? Remind me of our 2010-2011 Clips in the sense that the record= **** team but if you dig deep and see the injuries, new players trying to gel etc it makes sense. Also reminds me in the sense that they step up vs the best teams.

b@llhog24
03-26-2013, 01:38 AM
Further than a twenty game sample size, I don't think their D was ever top 10.

Clippersfan86
03-26-2013, 01:41 AM
Further than a twenty game sample size, I don't think their D was ever top 10.

I'm pretty sure it was the 9th or 10th ranked defense in the first month of the season? Unless I'm confusing them with another lotto team but I don't think I am?

5ass
03-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Only if they win the Lottery. The currently have the 7th worst record, and McLemore is likely to go 1st overall.
Then they get shabbaz, but i do think they trade gordon and maybe aminu for deng and chicagos 1st.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 01:45 AM
Woah has their D slipped that bad??? I remember early in the season it was top 10 for a while and last year it was 14th or 15th. What I meant by better than their record is that they are more dangerous than you'd know if you just looked at their record. They seem to compete vs the best teams every time. Didn't they push the Spurs to the limits in a 2 point loss just last week? Remind me of our 2010-2011 Clips in the sense that the record= **** team but if you dig deep and see the injuries, new players trying to gel etc it makes sense. Also reminds me in the sense that they step up vs the best teams.

Im someone who needs supporting evidence so forgive me if I dont take your word for it.

As for their defense, assuming your right, maybe it slipped when Davis got hurt (though I would think having Gordon back would help some), havent looked at the numbers but I would start there for insight.

b@llhog24
03-26-2013, 01:59 AM
I'm pretty sure it was the 9th or 10th ranked defense in the first month of the season? Unless I'm confusing them with another lotto team but I don't think I am?

I remember making a post about the top ~15 or so defensive teams so time last year. I think it was a nets thread). They weren't anywhere near the top 10 iirc.

The top 10 defensive teams now that I remember specifically that were there were,

Indiana
Memphis
San Antionio
Boston
Atlanta
Chicago
Clippers

That's about 7 teams that have remained in the top 10 from when I made that post, and I don't remember the Hornets standing out.

Im someone who needs supporting evidence so forgive me if I dont take your word for it.

As for their defense, assuming your right, maybe it slipped when Davis got hurt (though I would think having Gordon back would help some), havent looked at the numbers but I would start there for insight.

Anyway to isolate timeframes for teams? I.e what was a teams Drtg in the month on Nov?

Chronz
03-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Anyway to isolate timeframes for teams? I.e what was a teams Drtg in the month on Nov?

Aside from doing the math, not that I know of. You can guestimate by visualizing a bell curve off the game logs and whatnot

nolafan33
03-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Our defense is bad because Greivis Vasquez is a terrible defender.

Robin Lopez is a solid defender but he's too slow to guard the pick and roll, he and Vasquez are probably the worst pick and roll defensive combo in the league by a wide margin.

JiffyMix88
03-26-2013, 12:12 PM
lol. Eric Gordon is considered a scrub now? :laugh2: I remember when some of you guys were calling him one of the best shooting guards in the league. Looks like you guys are eating crow.

When he wants to play he is one of the better sgs....When he plays that is....

xxplayerxx23
03-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Our defense is bad because Greivis Vasquez is a terrible defender.

Robin Lopez is a solid defender but he's too slow to guard the pick and roll, he and Vasquez are probably the worst pick and roll defensive combo in the league by a wide margin.

Amare and Felton were up there too haha.

2-ONE-5
03-26-2013, 01:36 PM

they should stay far away from Mclemore. OVERRATED. rather keep Gordon if he wants to be there

VCaintdead17
03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
They would have to draft a superstar in one of the next 3 drafts to make any real noise.

Their outside shooting is weak, their wing defense sucks, they have no true leader, and I'm not sold on Gordon as a closer.

Aminu is actually developing into a really good wing defender, and Davis has future DPOY written all over him. If the can draft a defensive minded center like Noel in the draft, they could potentially be a well above average team defensively

rapjuicer06
03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Then they get shabbaz, but i do think they trade gordon and maybe aminu for deng and chicagos 1st.

Why would they trade for Deng? Is he an expiring or something? Otherwise it'd make no sense at all for them to do that. He's up there in age compared to this team and they are no where near competing

cubbiefan_est88
03-26-2013, 03:18 PM

Why would they trade for Deng? Is he an expiring or something? Otherwise it'd make no sense at all for them to do that. He's up there in age compared to this team and they are no where near competing

Remind me how 27 is up there in age? Lol I would do that trade. We need a second.option and gordon could provide that.

76erEaglePhils
03-26-2013, 04:58 PM
They have a bright future they lost alot of close games that they could have easily won this year. They played better than expected against some elite teams in the west. Davis is the franchise player. So if they can add some more talent around him they can be a very good team in the future.

Stunner
03-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Bulls will gladly trade you Deng and a 1st for Gordon

GunFactor187
03-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Man I was thinking...what if they end up in the Top 3 and draft Nerlens Noel, a Noel/Davis frontcourt would be absolutely insane. The potential of that would be endless!

Stunner
03-26-2013, 05:16 PM
Actually it makes ton of sense , Deng contract is up for the 2014 FA class and they get a two time all star to fill a SF spot that has been missing for almost 5 years or maybe more . Deng on that team would bring some leadership and he can basically do everything . Shoot , defend at a high level , rebound and pass . Rivers I must admit wasn't ready yet but Bd his head he knew he wasn't going to play much with Gordon . Gordon and Rivers wasn't going to work , he's a SG and he would do better next year to soley play that and let Vas run the show . Financially and competive wise they get better . Hell Granger for Gordon would work too but his Knee injury prob kills this .

5ass
03-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Deng is still 27, and yes he is an expiring, and he barely misses any games. He improves their defense, gives them vet leadership, and fills a need at SF.

5ass
03-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Actually it makes ton of sense , Deng contract is up for the 2014 FA class and they get a two time all star to fill a SF spot that has been missing for almost 5 years or maybe more . Deng on that team would bring some leadership and he can basically do everything . Shoot , defend at a high level , rebound and pass . Rivers I must admit wasn't ready yet but Bd his head he knew he wasn't going to play much with Gordon . Gordon and Rivers wasn't going to work , he's a SG and he would do better next year to soley play that and let Vas run the show . Financially and competive wise they get better . Hell Granger for Gordon would work too but his Knee injury prob kills this .

I thought about that, but Granger is also a couple of years older than Deng. That and the fact that he's injured kill this deal.

Stunner
03-26-2013, 05:39 PM
I thought about that, but Granger is also a couple of years older than Deng. That and the fact that he's injured kill this deal. yea but he's still a very effective player when healthy and his contract is up in 2014 .

nolafan33
03-26-2013, 11:15 PM
FWIW, Austin Rivers was proving to be the Hornets best perimeter defender before his injury.

b@llhog24
03-27-2013, 12:09 AM

That's only one guy and he later clarified his statements, so I'm not even sure he counts. I do remember a shitload of Warrior fans actually thinking Monta was better than Harden though.

He was compared to KG coming out, (and TD but I never felt like that comparison made sense as he doesn't have nearly the same build as Timmy) and he's better as a rookie than KG was as a rookie. He's pretty much exceeded expectations so far. Will he get there? That remains to be unseen.

Aside from doing the math, not that I know of. You can guestimate by visualizing a bell curve off the game logs and whatnot

Never had to do bell curves, I did more of business models in college. In any event I'll look it up when I get the time. Doesn't look too daunting.

RiceOnTheRun
03-27-2013, 05:59 AM
Davis needs time to develop. Give him a few years and he'll be up there. RotY usually tend to be guards because they develop faster, the last great "center" to win would be Duncan/Shaq/Webber. Pau and Amare have won but I consider them more as PF that C anyways. Once he hits his stride and bulks up, he'll be a defensive beast. Develop a nice post game, boom. Force to be reckoned with. I keep forgetting how young Vasquez is because he looks so old but yeah, a 29-year old Vasquez, 27 year old Anderson and an Anthony Davis growing into his prime will be a definite playoff team. Trade Gordon for a roleplayer or two and do well in the next draft and we could see a pretty dangerous team here. Austin Rivers has promise, so if he develops like they expected him to, they could have a very good team.

KnicksorBust
03-27-2013, 05:02 PM
To be honest, I'm not really that high on the Hornets. I think the Wolves/Warriors have a better chance of breaking through to the upper echelon.