PDA

View Full Version : Rockets' White will return to D-League team after leaving it without permission

GunFactor187
03-25-2013, 03:24 PM
By Adrian Wojnarowski

After leaving without permission recently, No. 1 draft pick Royce White will return to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers of the National Basketball Developmental League, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

White, who lives with an anxiety disorder, stated a team doctor told him that it would be healthier for him to leave the team a week ago, but multiple sources told Yahoo! Sports that no organizational permission had been granted to White.

At the risk of earning his second suspension without pay this season, White, the 16th pick in the 2012 NBA draft by the Houston Rockets, planned to return to be in uniform for the Vipers game Tuesday night against Tulsa.

White has clashed with the organization over his inability to constantly make himself available for practices, workouts and team commitments. After a three-week suspension in January, White finally agreed to the team's plan to send him to the D-League. Despite bloating in weight to nearly 300 pounds, White averaged 9.6 points and 5.6 rebounds in 12 games for Rio Grande.

Part of White's anxiety disorder centers on plane travel, and White had taken two long bus trips as part of Rio Grande's road schedule.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--troubled-rookie-royce-white-will-report-to-d-league-after-leaving-houston-rockets-without-permission-184518676.html

:facepalm:

CavsYanksDuke
03-25-2013, 03:30 PM
If you are somehow implying that he's not a good employee with that face palm , then you clearly have no idea how terrible anxiety disorders are. My cousin was in a bad accident when he was a kid while riding a bus. He can't get back on one, at all.

People have problems, at least he was open about his. However, the Rockets still took him and now expect nothing but perfection from this rare situation? I feel bad for the guy.

JoeBlessU
03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
If the NBA lifestyle is too much with his anxiety issues maybe he should just retire and pursue a different career, Im not gonna sit and rip on the guy for his disorder but dont try and be in the NBA if things are this bad mentally for you..

rangersfan
03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
If you are somehow implying that he's not a good employee with that face palm , then you clearly have no idea how terrible anxiety disorders are. My cousin was in a bad accident when he was a kid while riding a bus. He can't get back on one, at all.

People have problems, at least he was open about his. However, the Rockets still took him and now expect nothing but perfection from this rare situation? I feel bad for the guy.

Last time I checked, there are about a billion medications that he can take, e.g. MAIO's, beta-blockers which help with the physical symptoms, benzodiazapene etc. Wonder if he's taking any at all, or if he's afraid they'll somehow interfere with his ability to play. Honestly he should take a year off and get some psychotherapy or CBT. Take some time off and come back in better mental shape instead of just throwing yourself into the fire and not giving yourself adequate time to get ready to adjust to the stress that comes with the pro bball life. Wonder if his contract is insured.

sep11ie
03-25-2013, 03:46 PM

He said he'd have no problem with a NBA lifestyle. That's why he was drafted. He lied, got exposed, tried his hardest to look like the victim while alienating the team that gave him a chance, left without permission and LIED about, got caught again and now he's back. He's no martyr, he's a money hungry typical piece of trash. People like you just enhance the problem by trying to give him a free ride.

NYCkid12
03-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Let's not paint this guy as a total victim, because sick or not if you are demoted to the D-League you should go, which he didn't immediately do a few months back when he was first demoted...that's my first problem with him

Also, was he born yesterday? Did he not know the NBA involved intense travel schedules? Maybe if his illness is too much for him to handle with all the flights and traveling, maybe you should choose a different career path

Cromedome
03-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Houston has about 12 games left in the season and he's still in/out of the d-league.

AWC713
03-25-2013, 04:15 PM
A lot of people hate on Morey for this pick but I don't mind it.

White would fit perfectly with this team if he could get his head straight. A 3/4 that boards, can run the floor and pass like a PG? With this up-tempo offense? WATCH OUT.

White is a high upside guy and I believe he can still play. I may be in the minority, but he has the perfect fit right now. But he obviously has to want it.

ATX
03-25-2013, 05:00 PM
How can people defend this? You can't just leave the team without permission. Sometimes I wish I could just say F it, this **** is too stressful today, and just leave work for a week. I'd be fired so fast. I know he has "Special needs", but you can't just leave without notifying anyone and expect everyone to just be fine with it.

c.c.
03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
This guy, smh

GiantsSwaGG
03-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Who?

yaswaggin
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
He aint about that nba life

bleedprple&gold
03-25-2013, 06:01 PM
A lot of people hate on Morey for this pick but I don't mind it.

White would fit perfectly with this team if he could get his head straight. A 3/4 that boards, can run the floor and pass like a PG? With this up-tempo offense? WATCH OUT.

White is a high upside guy and I believe he can still play. I may be in the minority, but he has the perfect fit right now. But he obviously has to want it.

At 300 lbs I don't know how well he's going to be running the floor...

GiantsSwaGG
03-25-2013, 06:22 PM
At 300 lbs I don't know how well he's going to be running the floor...

300 lbs, that part indicates he's been hanging out with Eddie Curry

aztr0
03-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Diva.

salmonleg
03-25-2013, 08:53 PM
Not sure how you get that the Rockets expect perfection. They've been very patient, and have kept the kid's dirty laundry from being aired in public on their part (he's the one running his mouth).It appears they've been very supportive. He went off the farm again and it looks to me like they handled it with class - again!

4milesperday
03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
Why is he even in the NBA?

WITZ
03-25-2013, 09:00 PM
He said he'd have no problem with a NBA lifestyle. That's why he was drafted. He lied, got exposed, tried his hardest to look like the victim while alienating the team that gave him a chance, left without permission and LIED about, got caught again and now he's back. He's no martyr, he's a money hungry typical piece of trash. People like you just enhance the problem by trying to give him a free ride.

Yup, this is my biggest issue that people who defend him tend to overlook.

GiantsSwaGG
03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
Why is he even in the NBA?

Because the Rockets were dumb enough for drafting him

Hawkeye15
03-25-2013, 10:42 PM
For those of you who are sympathetic to his condition, I agree with you. But to those of you who haven't followed this closely, Royce is really taking advantage of his condition imo. This kid doesn't love basketball, he does it because it will get him paid. And he knows his condition gives him a card to do what he pleases, without being scrutinized too hard. But I can tell you this, he is very quickly playing his way out of the NBA. No other team is going to touch him if he is this big of a problem. He lied, was caught, and played the victim card.

As bad as it sounds, if you are not capable of doing a job you wish to pursue, for whatever reason, pick another profession. He is toying with the Rockets now, and the many people across America that struggle with anxiety disorders had better not look to him as a speaker for them, because he is giving you a bad rap.

beasted86
03-25-2013, 10:48 PM

No, he's not a bad employee, he's a terrible one.

The fact that he let his weight blow up to nearly 300 lbs says he never gave a rat's *** about the Rockets whether they could put together a plan to satisfy his disorder's needs or not. He is completely disinterested in actually playing basketball if you ask me. He needs to retire and do a 30 for 30 for ESPN, since he wants to be an advocate for mental disorder but clearly has no intention or will to try and succeed as a player in the NBA.

sep11ie
03-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Because the Rockets were dumb enough for drafting him

Do you want me to make a list of your teams MUCH BIGGER mistakes?