PDA

View Full Version : LA Lakers 1971 33 Game Streak

Tymathee
03-25-2013, 03:28 AM
I just want to post some interesting stats, I'm not trying to say this is better, or anything else, I'm taking some information I found interesting about the streak when I looked it up for myself and wanted to share.

1. The Lakers played 4 back-to-back-to-back games during the streak.
2. 2 times during the streak they played 5 games in 6 days (back to back to back, day off, then back to back)
3. They scored over 120 points, 22 times
4. They defeated the Warriors 4 times and the Celtics 3 times during the streak.
5. The streak ended against the Milwaukee Bucks, with Kareem Abdul Jabaar
6. Wilt Chamberlain was 35, and Jerry West 33
7. They had 3 players who played 38+ minutes per game for the season
8. 16 games were away, 17 were at home.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1972_games.html

FraziersKnicks
03-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Cool, but none of this is comparable to the Heat's streak because the league is completely different now.

ATX
03-25-2013, 09:45 AM
There was only 16 other teams they could play against, as other teams were still in the ABA. 33 games is 33 games, and is very very impressive but yes, it was a totaly different era. The Heat's approach of this 4 decade old record is a great story.

Big Zo
03-25-2013, 09:47 AM
Jerry West traveled.

Hangtime
03-25-2013, 09:49 AM
You have to admit what's impressive about the Laker streak are the 3 games in 3 nights. Brutal schedule when your best players are in their mid thirties. Either way I respect both streaks. That's hard to do in any era.

ATX
03-25-2013, 09:54 AM
You have to admit what's impressive about the Laker streak are the 3 games in 3 nights. Brutal schedule when your best players are in their mid thirties. Either way I respect both streaks. That's hard to do in any era.

Couldn't agree more. Both are phenomenal streaks. Why can't people realize this?

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-25-2013, 12:09 PM
Couldn't agree more. Both are phenomenal streaks. Why can't people realize this?

Both are great, the heats just less impressive.

ManRam
03-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah. I don't really care which is better. The East is down, for sure, and that matters. But the Heat still are going to beat essentially all the playoff teams except for 2 or 3 over this streak if they beat SAS. There have been some REALLY bad teams, especially lately, but they've beaten just about everyone over this streak. The NBA talent pool was a bit less impressive back then, but there were less teams so that talent pool was perhaps more condensed.

They're both amazing streaks. I'm 100% content with leaving it at that.

The Lakers streak of 33 was 13 games longer than the Bucks' streak the year before. If the Heat get to 33 it will be 11 games longer than the Rockets' streak a few years back. Comparing them each to the second best streaks of their era and they both look equally as impressive. It's hard to see any trend suggesting it was easier to go on long winning streaks then as it is now, or vise versa.

Both are amazing. That's good enough for me. Comparing them is trivial.

pedrofan45
03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Both are impressive. I just think the Heat's current streak is harder to do considering the league today is much more competitive. Basketball is much more popular, and you have international players competing as well. Laker fans are really getting annoying ever since Lebron has taken over the league. First with how they're so defensive about Kobe, now they're getting all defensive about some streak that none of them even witnessed to seeing.

Why can't Laker fans just appreciate history being made right in front of their eyes? They're all so bitter it's pathetic.

MaloDaw9
03-25-2013, 01:03 PM
Both are impressive. I just think the Heat's current streak is harder to do considering the league today is much more competitive. Basketball is much more popular, and you have international players competing as well. Laker fans are really getting annoying ever since Lebron has taken over the league. First with how they're so defensive about Kobe, now they're getting all defensive about some streak that none of them even witnessed to seeing.

Why can't Laker fans just appreciate history being made right in front of their eyes? They're all so bitter it's pathetic.

Lol You act like it happened in the 1800's..

Actually your the one coming off bitter.

MaloDaw9
03-25-2013, 01:07 PM
Wow 5 games in 6 days is tough!

I dont think anyone here is comparing era's, Just a lot of jelly fans who's teams will never have the history the Lakers do.

still1ballin
03-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Thats pretty impressive.

pedrofan45
03-25-2013, 01:54 PM

I don't understand the LOL part, it was 40 years ago. Only 50 year olds could barely even remember it.

How am I bitter? I'm a celtics fan and we have the most championships of all time.

MaloDaw9
03-25-2013, 01:58 PM
I don't understand the LOL part, it was 40 years ago. Only 50 year olds could barely even remember it.

How am I bitter? I'm a celtics fan and we have the most championships of all time.

Your obviously bitter towards Laker fans and Kobe or why bring it up? I didn't see anyone defending Kobe in this thread..

Lol because it's funny that you believe no one over 50 exists.

pedrofan45
03-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Your obviously bitter towards Laker fans and Kobe or why bring it up? I didn't see anyone defending Kobe in this thread..

There aren't many people over 50 on this website so I don't see anything wrong with what I said before. And I brought it up because all you see on this site are Laker fans bringing up Kobe's accomplishments again and again like they are trying to prove to the rest of us of how great he is while trying to negate Lebron's greatness. I love watching Kobe play along with Lebron. But over these past few months Laker fans on this site have become so annoying it's unbearable.

And now with this thread trying to negate the current streak the Heat have going. And you're calling me a "jelly" fan? Nice try.

MaloDaw9
03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
There aren't many people over 50 on this website so I don't see anything wrong with what I said before. And I brought it up because all you see on this site are Laker fans bringing up Kobe's accomplishments again and again like they are trying to prove to the rest of us of how great he is while trying to negate Lebron's greatness. I love watching Kobe play along with Lebron. But over these past few months Laker fans on this site have become so annoying it's unbearable.

And now with this thread trying to negate the current streak the Heat have going. And you're calling me a "jelly" fan? Nice try.

I hear you and i see (some) Laker fans talking ****, and Heat fans and LBJ sack squeezers do the same.
And then you have the Kobe and Laker haters/stalkers as well. One would feel compelled to defend their favorite team/player when attacked baited and trolled.

This thread has nothing to do with taking anything away from the Heats streak.. Only to appreciate the history the Heat are chasing. Only a bitter person would assume the latter.

I never called *you jelly, That was a separate post.

ztilzer31
03-25-2013, 02:41 PM

It's funny because every fan on this site can see how bitter Lakers fans are except Lakers fans.

MaloDaw9
03-25-2013, 03:01 PM
It's funny because every fan on this site can see how bitter Lakers fans are except Lakers fans.

Well thats your diluted version.. The funniest part is every person who can read can see your hate and jealousy. Obvious is so obvious.

Laker fans bitter? Ha! Laker fans are basking in the glory kid.

Big Zo
03-25-2013, 03:16 PM

Even people who are in their 50's likely don't remember it. Basketball wasn't yet quite popular back then. Hell, even the finals were shown on tape delay.

Tymathee
03-25-2013, 05:05 PM
I guess no one read my initial paragraph, I just posted some information about the streak I wanted to share when I wanted to look it up myself. I'm 31, the streak was 10 years before I was born and i'd never seen any video or anything, I was curious to see how they compare.

In my opinon, the lakers was more impressive but the Heat's streak is pretty impressive as well, however they keep on dogging it and having to come back so it's kinda singed.

Less teams = more games against teams who knew you.

The Lakers didn't just win games, they throttled teams, i think they had 2 140+ games and one 151 pt game...
Jerry West then was Kobe Bryant now, 33 and put up 25-9, old guy still putting up great numbers defying age.

Also, during the streak they played the same 4 different teams 3+ times.

Also consider, less teams = more concentrated talent. There's a reason the lakers could have 4 hall of famers on their team.

Also, the East has been weak for a while, some of the teams the Heat are beating they should beat and some of those teams they should beat, they're beating by the skin of their teeth (cleveland, orlando) thats part of the reason i'm not so impressed.

Now I will say, Lebron has certainly impressed the hell outta me, he's an all time great, the guy can put a whole 12 man team on his back and win games, not many players can do that, but outside of lebron and wade, the rest of the team doesn't impress me (bosh included) I think the 1971-1972 Lakers would handle this team.

Then again, it also depends on what rules are being played, 1971 rules or 2013...

pedrofan45
03-25-2013, 05:40 PM
The Lakers didn't just win games, they throttled teams, i think they had 2 140+ games and one 151 pt game...
Jerry West then was Kobe Bryant now, 33 and put up 25-9, old guy still putting up great numbers defying age.

Now we can have a debate.

You could look at this two different ways. Yes that's cool that they won by that much, but doesn't that also show you that they had a much easier time winning those games?

Also, during the streak they played the same 4 different teams 3+ times.

This also can just mean that they played 4 different teams 3+ times that were easy wins.

Also consider, less teams = more concentrated talent. There's a reason the lakers could have 4 hall of famers on their team.

Exactly. The Lakers had more concentrated talent on THEIR team. Do you think other teams had four hall of famers or any for that matter? Not as many people played basketball as they do today. And there was also the ABA that had talent as well.

Also, the East has been weak for a while, some of the teams the Heat are beating they should beat and some of those teams they should beat, they're beating by the skin of their teeth (cleveland, orlando) thats part of the reason i'm not so impressed.

The East isn't as good as the West. I think everyone knows that. But the East still has competitive enough teams that they can beat anyone on any given night. That's the difference of the NBA of today compared to it in 1971. With the salary cap, and just with how competitive and challenging it is to get into the NBA, you won't be getting any easy games. In one sense you can say oh the Lakers were so good that they scored 140 points multiple times. But really, that also means that the teams they were facing were obviously not that good. It goes both ways.

Now I will say, Lebron has certainly impressed the hell outta me, he's an all time great, the guy can put a whole 12 man team on his back and win games, not many players can do that, but outside of lebron and wade, the rest of the team doesn't impress me (bosh included) I think the 1971-1972 Lakers would handle this team.

You really can't say which team would beat the other because of so many different circumstances. Now back to what I said earlier, I think the Heat's win streak is more impressive. Why you ask? Because they aren't scoring 140 points on anyone, each game has been a challenge them. Just like each game for any NBA team is a challenge because it is the NBA.

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
always the laker fans. every single time smh