PDA

View Full Version : The Mavs are roaring back

4milesperday
03-24-2013, 10:07 PM
They are now tied with Utah and 2 games behind Lakers for 8th spot. What are their chances of making the play-offs?

MetroMan
03-24-2013, 10:15 PM

bholly
03-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Think their chances are still probably pretty not that great.

Firstly, they're 1-2 in the season series vs LAL, with the remaining game in LA. If they can win that game they're essentially 1 game back, with a real shot at the vsLA tiebreaker (they'd be 0.5 games behind in record vs the West) - so they'd have a real chance.

Problem is that if they lose that game they've effectively got 11 other games to make up a 4 game deficit (because they're 3 games back and would lose the tiebreaker).

Their remaining schedule is pretty brutal - so I think if they win that LAL game they're still underdogs but with a real shot. If they lose the LAL game I think they're done.

bholly
03-24-2013, 10:20 PM
They also lost the season series vs Utah 1-2, so they're out if they end up tied with them (whether alone, or in a 3-way tie). That doesn't help.

ManRam
03-24-2013, 10:22 PM
good, hopefully they can shave soon

TheNumber37
03-24-2013, 10:40 PM
0. They don't have enough. And they'd have to go through Kobe and the Lakers who ( despite Kobe's Ankle) are getting healthier.

Nah.

NBA_Starter
03-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Watch out Lakers

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-24-2013, 11:53 PM
Lols!

JasonJohnHorn
03-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Slim. It is possible, and this win over Utah helps, and the Lakers are not out of the woods yet with injuries and such, but Dallas is going to have to play above where they have been all season. Dirk is just not playing that well. The team seems well coached and the roster isn't awful, but the West is so tough...

Utah and Portland are still in the mix to (though Portland is quickly falling out of the mix).

DallasTrilla23
03-25-2013, 12:57 AM
I doubt they will make it into the playoffs because LA has more wins less losses and an easier schedule but it is still possible with the way they've been giving wins away to teams like Pheonix and Washington.

bholly
03-25-2013, 01:03 AM

0. They don't have enough. And they'd have to go through Kobe and the Lakers who ( despite Kobe's Ankle) are getting healthier.

Nah.

Lols!

Reeeeally hoping they make it, though.

Guppyfighter
03-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Never say never. The Lakers are below 50 percent chance to make it. It's more likely on percentages that Jazz or Mavs make it in than the Lakers. Lakers have a better chance than both individually though.

DoMeFavors
03-25-2013, 01:49 AM
Id rather see the Lakers make it it would be better to watch.

Dallas has a team full of washed up players that were once all stars no longer in their primes.
Dirk,Marion,Vince Carter,Elton Brand,Kaman who could cheer for a team like that?

Lakers/ Spurs 1st rounder is what I want.

SportsFanatic10
03-25-2013, 02:07 AM
they might make it, but i don't think it'll happen.

Guppyfighter
03-25-2013, 02:08 AM

Dallas has a team full of washed up players that were once all stars no longer in their primes.
Dirk,Marion,Vince Carter,Elton Brand,Kaman who could cheer for a team like that?

What are the Lakers then?

JiffyMix88
03-25-2013, 11:55 AM

lmao

mightybosstone
03-25-2013, 12:01 PM
I think it's hilarious that the same Lakers fans who ripped everyone for claiming the Lakers wouldn't make the playoffs despite facing arguably tougher odds are now doing the exact opposite thing when the Mavs are actually much closer than the Lakers were. No one could have anticipated the free fall Utah has experienced, but if something like that can benefit the Lakers, something like that could certainly benefit the Mavs.

Dallas' path isn't an easy one, but they've won 9 of their last 12, they play the Lakers one more time and 7 of their last 12 games are home games. It's not a huge reach to think they could surpass LA or maybe Golden State if they could win the majority of their games down the stretch and get some help from another borderline playoff team.

D-Leethal
03-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Lakers are gonna suffer another losing streak - its pretty much the Mike D'Antoni way. You will get your stretches of great basketball, big winning streaks, and you will follow it up with stretches of awful basketball, big losing streaks.

Year 1 in NY:
Started 3-8
Follow up with 13-1
Followed that up with 12-17 before the Melo trade

Year 2 in NY:
Started 6-4
Followed up 2-11
Follow that up 10-3
Followed THAT up 0-6

Got fired.

Mike D and his love for the uptempo, streaky 3 ball type coaching is personified through the streaky nature of his teams success - High high's and low low's

MaloDaw9
03-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Dallas still has a NBA team? Go figure...

Lakers + Giants
03-25-2013, 03:52 PM
As long as we beat mavs at home, they're done.

JordansBulls
03-25-2013, 03:53 PM

If the Spurs stay #1 then Mavs and Spurs is always good for a series.

JordansBulls
03-25-2013, 03:54 PM
As long as we beat mavs at home, they're done.

This is what it comes down to on April 2.

LongWayFromHome
03-25-2013, 05:28 PM
If the Mavs beat the Lakers on 4/2 then they are only 1 game back over the other 11.

Assuming mathematically that they will win and lose to common opponents equally I have unbolded is the head to head game and common opponents. Hollinger Power rankings in parenthesis.

Lakers (13)
GS(11) - 4 games worse 2-0 W?
MIN(22) - 12 games better 2-0 W
MIL(19) - 1.5 games better 1-0 W?
SAC(23) - 11 games better 2-1
MAVERICKS(15) - 2 games better 1-2
MEM(7) - 11 games worse 0-2
LAC(3) - 12 games worse 0-3
NO(25) - 12 games better 3-0
POR(16) - 3 games better 2-1
GS(11) - 4 games worse 2-0 W?
SA(4) - 17 game worse 0-2 L
HOU(8) - 3 games worse 1-2 L?

Mavs (15)
LAC(3) - 14 games worse 0-2
IND(6) - 9 games worse 0-1 L
CHI(17) - 4 games worse 0-1 ?
LAKERS(13) - 2 games worse 1-2
DEN(5) - 15 games worse 0-1 L?
SAC(23) - 9 games better 3-0
POR(16) - 1 game better 2-1
PHX(28) - 11 games better 3-0 W
DEN(5) - 15 games worse 0-1 L?
NO(25) - 10 games better 1-1 W
MEM(7) - 13 games worse 1-2
NO(25) - 10 games better 1-1

My best guess is LA will split against GS and split MIL and HOU so in the 6 uncommon games they will go 3-3
DAL will hopefully split DEN which will make them 3-2 with the BULLS game deciding the outcome.

This is incredibly close even if DAL gets behind early in these last 12 games.

PS - as a MAVS fan I have no hope of winning the first round so this all doesnt matter in the end.

John Walls Era
03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Its not 0% but its in the single digit percentage.

Guppyfighter
03-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Its not 0% but its in the single digit percentage.

It's actually a 15.6 percent right now. It's been steadily rising. Lowest point was five percent.

bucketss
03-25-2013, 05:47 PM

the comedy alone in a superteam that was suppose to end the leagues chances not even making the playoffs would be worth it.

xxplayerxx23
03-25-2013, 05:48 PM
They have a shot. Lol people act like the macs can't beat the lakers at home. They have been playing well of late,

bucketss
03-25-2013, 05:49 PM
lakers lost to the wizards at home anything is possible!

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 11:39 AM
After that huge win over the Clippers last night, I felt like this thread was relevant again, and it's nice to talk about something that isn't Lakers or Heat related for a change. Dirk had a monster night and Mayo was incredibly clutch when they needed him to be in the fourth quarter. At this point, I firmly expect the winner of that upcoming Lakers, Mavs game to be the 8th seed in the playoffs.

I don't think this team, even with a healthy Dirk, has a realistic shot of taking down the Spurs or Thunder in the playoffs, but the fact that they could be in the playoffs at all is a testament to how much better they're playing lately. This is a team that was 13-23 at one point after losing 13 of 15 games and struggling without Dirk. Now they're only a half game from .500 and a game out of the playoffs. Even as a Rockets fan, who has loathed the Mavs over the years, that is deserving of respect.

Stinkyoutsider
03-27-2013, 12:27 PM
I think the Mavs have an outside chance? Seems like they've dug themselves out of a bad first half of the season and are peaking at the right moment.

The Lakers have the talent and should make the playoffs (8th seed).

It's a shame the Mavs had to scramble to put together this team after loosing out on Williams. I think they're in a situation where they need to figure out what's best for the club now because Dirk isn't getting any younger and they may no longer be a top destination for world class players anymore?

ATX
03-27-2013, 12:37 PM
Mavs still have a very good chance at the 8th seed. They are playing well, and LA is not. Having Artest go down for about 1-2 weeks isn't helping either.

todu82
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Could happen but I doubt it. Think the Lakers will make it in as the 8th seed.

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Right now, Hollinger's playoff odds have the Lakers at 42.8%, the Jazz at 28.4% and the Mavs at 23.8%, but Hollinger's rankings don't usually do a great job of indicating how hot teams are or if they're struggling. Dallas is clearly the hottest team of the three, and I'd certainly put their odds ahead of Utah's. At this point, I wouldn't even call Dallas' chances an "outside shot." I think the Lakers are still a slight favorite to take the 8th spot and the Mavs should be a damn close second.

JiffyMix88
03-27-2013, 12:53 PM
The Dirks are gonna get that 8th seed and I hope so as it could be the last time we will see a good Dirk vs Tim Duncan playoff series

ll_eric_ll
03-27-2013, 12:58 PM

haja!!! great post

Tony_Starks
03-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Slim chance. It wouldn't even be this close if some horrid coach didn't for some ridiculous reason choose to throw a guy that hasn't played in months into the starting lineup, screwing up what little chemistry they had...

That being said I'm pretty sure Kobe throws the team on his back for the stretch..

gatkins11
03-27-2013, 01:30 PM
The Dirks are gonna get that 8th seed and I hope so as it could be the last time we will see a good Dirk vs Tim Duncan playoff series

If it were to happen, I doubt it would be a good series. Spurs are too good.

KnicksorBust
03-27-2013, 01:32 PM
The Lakers learning to click is the only way an #1 vs. #8 seed could be interesting in the West. That's where my rooting interest lies.

missionh1llpart
03-27-2013, 01:53 PM
I love how even when the Lakers are in the 8th spot, their fans are still super cocky. Dallas has a good chance of getting the 8th spot, and I hope they knock the Lakers out of it, just like they knocked them out of the playoffs in 2011. Would be a huge slap in the face to them for how they lost that series in such a classless fashion.

DumDum
03-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Mavs are going to take over the 8 spot LA doesn't have a ghost of a chance to keep it

Tony_Starks
03-27-2013, 02:29 PM
I love how even when the Lakers are in the 8th spot, their fans are still super
cocky. Dallas has a good chance of getting the 8th spot, and I hope they knock the Lakers out of it, just like they knocked them out of the playoffs in 2011. Would be a huge slap in the face to them for how they lost that series in such a classless fashion.

You're still bitter over that? You do realize both of the players involved aren't even on the roster anymore right?

Shouldn't you be more concerned with the Utah Jazz?

Hardaway Here
03-27-2013, 03:10 PM
You're still bitter over that? You do realize both of the players involved aren't even on the roster anymore right?

Shouldn't you be more concerned with the Utah Jazz?

Lakers are only a game ahead of Utah and Dallas right now any one of those teams can take 8th seed that position isn't a lock for any one of those teams. I recall Laker fans saying they were going to take 6th seed. That is not happening but whether they keep 8th or not only time will tell.

JiffyMix88
03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
If it were to happen, I doubt it would be a good series. Spurs are too good.

They are really good and they were even better when they lost to Memphis. I'd like to see one more Dirk vs TD especially at the Lakers expense.

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 03:38 PM
The Lakers learning to click is the only way an #1 vs. #8 seed could be interesting in the West. That's where my rooting interest lies.

I actually don't think it will matter one way or the other, to be honest, but there certainly is more intrigue and interest for that 8 spot than there is most years. A motivated Dallas team would steal at least one from San Antonio, but probably not more, because they're nowhere near as dangerous as they were with Terry and Chandler. And the Lakers are way too much of a mess to pose a threat to a team as seasoned and practiced as the Spurs.

My rooting interest lies mainly in hoping Dwight will sign with the Rockets instead of LA if the Lakers fail to make the postseason. And I admit I wouldn't mind seeing some smiles wiped off the faces of some smug Lakers fans.

ManRam
03-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Lakers are still gonna hold on. I'm not changing my tune now!

ElChinoLatino
03-27-2013, 04:02 PM
I actually don't think it will matter one way or the other, to be honest, but there certainly is more intrigue and interest for that 8 spot than there is most years. A motivated Dallas team would steal at least one from San Antonio, but probably not more, because they're nowhere near as dangerous as they were with Terry and Chandler. And the Lakers are way too much of a mess to pose a threat to a team as seasoned and practiced as the Spurs.

My rooting interest lies mainly in hoping Dwight will sign with the Rockets instead of Houston if the Lakers fail to make the postseason. And I admit I wouldn't mind seeing some smiles wiped off the faces of some smug Lakers fans.

What those chances compared to Mavs obtaining him, this of course hypothetically having CP3 signed with the Mavs after the postseason. Meaning CP3 and Dirk in Mavs vs Harden and Lin in the Rockets, where would D12 go to the most?

Lakers + Giants
03-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Lakers are still gonna hold on. I'm not changing my tune now!

I'm changing my tune. I honestly don't believe we get in. I'm not really scared of dallas, more scared of utah, especially since they hold the tie breaker vs us. I feel more confident with dallas not making it because we face them 1 more time, if we lose that one though, we're ****ed. Look at our next 5 games, all dificult games for us. We need to go at least 3-2 in those, at least, and honestly, I don't see it happening.

Tony_Starks
03-27-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm changing my tune. I honestly don't believe we get in. I'm not really scared
of dallas, more scared of utah, especially since they hold the tie breaker vs us. I feel more confident with dallas not making it because we face them 1 more time, if we lose that one though, we're ****ed. Look at our next 5 games, all dificult games for us. We need to go at least 3-2 in those, at least, and honestly, I don't see it happening.

I'm not changing my tune. I say Lakers go on a run to finish the season.

Have a lil more faith in the guy in your sig brotha!

mightybosstone
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
What those chances compared to Mavs obtaining him, this of course hypothetically having CP3 signed with the Mavs after the postseason. Meaning CP3 and Dirk in Mavs vs Harden and Lin in the Rockets, where would D12 go to the most?

If I had to put odds on it right now, I'd say the chance he signs with LA is 75%, the chances for Houston and Dallas are about 10% apiece and the chance he signs anywhere else is about 5%. However, that is dependent on so many things. If the Lakers don't make the playoffs, I see those odds being much closer to 60/40. If the Rockets or Mavs were to make a splash in the playoffs, I think that would certainly change up the odds, as well. However, I don't see Dallas adding Paul AND Dwight, and if Dwight has to pick between Dallas or Houston, I think Houston has a slight edge right now because they have a much younger core and a much more marketable superstar in James Harden.

ElChinoLatino
03-27-2013, 04:25 PM
If I had to put odds on it right now, I'd say the chance he signs with LA is 75%, the chances for Houston and Dallas are about 10% apiece and the chance he signs anywhere else is about 5%. However, that is dependent on so many things. If the Lakers don't make the playoffs, I see those odds being much closer to 60/40. If the Rockets or Mavs were to make a splash in the playoffs, I think that would certainly change up the odds, as well. However, I don't see Dallas adding Paul AND Dwight, and if Dwight has to pick between Dallas or Houston, I think Houston has a slight edge right now because they have a much younger core and a much more marketable superstar in James Harden.

I'm with you, I highly doubt that CP3 leaves LA, even though that stacked team isn't going to win a ship with Vinny as the head coach. It completely depends on the playoff outcome but I'm leaning towards him leaving because it has been hell for him the whole season. Dallas ain't getting him so I'm either going with the Rockets or Hawks cause there is no possible way LA trades for BK's outlandish contracts for mediocre players.

LTBaByyy
03-27-2013, 08:25 PM
:dance: