PDA

View Full Version : Rumors, moves, etc thread

NYY09
03-23-2013, 01:48 PM
I figured we could use one of these.

So far the team has released Halpern, who was recently claimed by Montreal and Bickel has also been placed on waivers.

Now everyone has a place to enlighten us with whatever is happening, go nuts and lets go Rangers!

NYY09
03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Newbury has just been called up

IAmARanger18
03-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Finally Bickel is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NYY09
03-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Apparently Miller has a wrist injury. Hopefully its nothing serious.

NYR_NYJ
03-23-2013, 07:54 PM
NY post is speculating that Fast could be on the roster by middle of the week..

SLY WILLIAMS
03-23-2013, 08:46 PM
NY post is speculating that Fast could be on the roster by middle of the week..

It would be fun to watch him play if he is anywhere as good as his reports. Looks like a steal by Slats/Gordie in the draft.

runnermjr1296
03-23-2013, 10:12 PM
I'll tell you what, Good luck to him he's making a bunch of money but man do we miss Brandon Prust

metswon69
03-24-2013, 03:40 AM
I'll tell you what, Good luck to him he's making a bunch of money but man do we miss Brandon Prust

Yes, yes we do.

He just had so many qualities you couldn't put on a stat sheet.

Such is life, we move on.

runnermjr1296
03-24-2013, 08:10 AM
if he doesn't take on Chris Neil last year,we don't even get out of the first round

SLY WILLIAMS
03-24-2013, 10:10 AM
The Post was told Jesper Fast was still dealing with the Swedish bureaucracy yesterday in attempting to gain permission to join the Rangers rather than commit to Team Sweden for the World Championship Tournament that will be played in Stockholm and Helsinki beginning May 3.

A source familiar with the situation said it was likely the 21-year-old winger, who signed an Entry Level contract last May, would join the Blueshirts at some point this week.

At the same time, The Post was told the Rangers are preparing to make an offer to restricted free agent winger Mats Zuccarello, who has one year remaining on his KHL contract with Magnitogorsk, but has an out-clause that would allow him to return to the NHL.

It remains to be seen whether the offer will be lucrative enough to entice Zuccarello, who will only consider a one-way deal after spending most of his two years in North America in the AHL.

Montrealís claim of Halpern leaves the Rangers with 48 contracts in the organization, two under the maximum. That number would be reduced to 47 if Bickel, who averaged just 5:31 in 16 games while a scratch in 14 overall and the last seven straight, is also claimed.http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/caught_short_GkUkvDeAkXQ4ouNS145ZdO?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Rangers

NYY09
03-24-2013, 02:36 PM
Apparently Bickel was/is unhappy with how he was "treated" and lack of ice time.

via BSB

As expected, Stu Bickel cleared waivers and will be sent to the Connecticut Whale in the AHL for tonight’s game. Bickel was not happy with the way he was treated, as Andrew Gross has some interesting quotes:

“It is what it is,” Bickel said. “It’s been tough for me to get an opportunity to play any minutes on the backend to develop some confidence.”

“I came up last year and I performed and was able to play some minutes and play well,” Bickel said. “I did everything I could with the opportunity. Getting less minutes, it’s more difficult to do what I want with it. (Now), it’s wait and see.”

It’s unfortunate that Bickel did not see much ice time, but when he did, he wasn’t too effective. Hopefully he can rebuild that confidence in Connecticut and make an impact.

Simple Stu, play better and you will get more ice time. In the mean time, have fun in Hartford.

freddy686
03-24-2013, 06:33 PM
ill take nik antropov back as a rental ....

apdamico
03-24-2013, 08:53 PM
With Asham coming back and Bickel not able to get ice time, it only makes sense. Seems like the team is aiming for speed and Halprin and Bickel don't bring that to the table. I know many, many fans hate Asham, but I think he's the best skating goon we have had in a very long time.

Mr.Wiskers
03-24-2013, 09:45 PM
What you don't consider Prust a goon?

metswon69
03-25-2013, 08:06 AM
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay

Can't confirm deal but Zuke's agent tweets: "Will be glad 4 Mats Zuccarello's sake that he will soon get 2 show NHL again how good he is."

Mr.Wiskers
03-25-2013, 08:38 AM
You know what I take that back, just cause he stepped up for his teammates( even tho he was 5'9") and was willing to fight, we can't really consider him a goon. He did alot of the little things too, played on the PK and scored for us( was a scoring threat)---he had great speed for a guy who played on the bottom 6.

metswon69
03-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Zuccarello deal seems imminent

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Good morning. Would you like some Norwegian Hobbit with your coffee?

Multiple reports this morning out of Norway and Sweden indicate the Rangers and ex-Ranger Mats Zuccarello, who have been in almost daily contact since Zuccarello’s KHL season ended, have agreed to a deal to bring Zuccarello back to New York for at least the rest of this lockout-shortened NHL season.

Zuccarello’s agent, Erik Ryman, sent out a Twitter message earlier saying that Zuccarello is looking forward to getting the chance again to show what he can do in the NHL.

That, of course, is a big question.

The Rangers are obviously starved for offense, both goal scoring and playmaking. Zuccarello finally began showing signs of being a dangerous NHL player late last season before fracturing his left and missing the playoffs. In two seasons with the Rangers organization, Zuccarello had eight goals and 18 assists in 52 games but played just 10 NHL games last season, spending most of his time with Connecticut.

Zuccarello pushed for a one-way contract to return to the Rangers and if/when he does don a Blueshirt again, this will be on coach John Tortorella to a)figure out how to use Zuccarello properly and b) trust Zuccarello and not just play him 7-10 minutes per game. Zuccarello’s skills lend themselves to a top-six forward position - he has great passing skills, above-average on-ice vision and can squeeze his tiny, 5-foot-7 (ish) frame into tight places. Using him though with slower skaters on a third or fourth line will not maximize his talents.

Zuccarello, too, should be a (big) help to the power play as 10 of his 18 NHL assists came on the man advantage. Zuccarello simply attempts pinpoint passes that other Rangers don’t think of making, not even Brad Richards when he’s at his best.

With Zuccarello apparently on his way, that would again seem to portend the Rangers making a bigger move by the April 3 trade deadline. San Jose Sharks scout John Ferguson Jr. has been at the majority of Rangers’ games this season and surely Tortorella would love a reunion with his former Lightning power-play quarterback Dan Boyle. The Rangers would have to move a large contract to bring him in, though.

Zuccarello would not have to pass through waivers since he has been on the Rangers’ reserved list since the end of last season.

Most likely, more on Zuccarello as it develops later today…

metswon69
03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

#Jesper Fast would not count as contract No. 50. He's already signed and factored into the 49. Neither he or Zuccarello require waivers

NYY09
03-25-2013, 05:12 PM
Via BSB, Fast going to the Whale, its official.

S/t to Blueshirt Banter for the report.

Per Alex Nunn, who is a must follow for those wanted to keep track of Ranger prospects overseas, the SIHA (Sweden Ice Hockey Association) has reached a deal with the NHL to allow prospects to come over to the NHL before the World Championships. For the Rangers, this means that Jesper Fast (Fasth in Sweden, Fast in the US) will be loaned to the Connecticut Whale of the AHL until April 15. At that point, Fast must be returned to Sweden for the World’s.

Fast, who is already signed to a contract, may see some time with the Rangers. Scouts believe he is NHL ready, but he must first prove himself at the AHL level, which is the right move.

bsi
03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
I don't think Fast will be long in the minors if you ask me. He's ready IMO.

bsi
03-26-2013, 03:45 PM
Another guy that would help us a lot would be Tanguay I think, not sure what the price would be but I watch a lot of Flames games and the guy has lots left in the tank, and he's only in his early 30's. He's versatile too, played center this year as well as LW and is good on the PP. While everyone fights over Iginla I think this is where we should look.

beast023
03-26-2013, 05:45 PM
nhl.com has a list of guys potentially moving at the deadline. one of them is steve ott. while he's not quite brandon prust he could go a long way to fill the void. good on face-offs, scoring depth up front and grit for days. I've had enough of pyatt. for a big guy on the third line, he's not physical enough and plays so slow. we need to be tougher to play against like we were last year.

fingerbang
03-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Ott's better than Prust if you ask me. He's one of the more underrated players in the league. The Sabres had to move Roy just to get him.

Mr.Wiskers
03-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Would love Ott but the price may be too high on him. I'd do Tanguay and try to get Wideman or Giordano added to the deal.

nyr2002nyr
03-27-2013, 07:44 AM
another guy that would help us a lot would be tanguay i think, not sure what the price would be but i watch a lot of flames games and the guy has lots left in the tank, and he's only in his early 30's. He's versatile too, played center this year as well as lw and is good on the pp. While everyone fights over iginla i think this is where we should look.

agreed!!!!!

metswon69
03-27-2013, 09:22 AM
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN 5m

#NYR Jesper Fast is in New York, where he will undergo physical today.

metswon69
03-27-2013, 10:42 AM
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 5m

Source: Rangers in mix for UMass D Conor Allen, leaving after junior year. His decision said to be close

oak2455
03-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay 5m

Hope he is a big guy with a rocket shot

metswon69
03-28-2013, 01:54 AM
The Penguins have acquired Brendan Morrow, Douglas Murray, and Jarome Iginla all in the last week.

Uh oh!!

And we have two games with them next Wednesday and Friday...

With our propensity to losing to them to begin with, it doesnt look good.

oak2455
03-28-2013, 02:11 AM
The Penguins have acquired Brendan Morrow, Douglas Murray, and Jarome Iginla all in the last week.

Uh oh!!

And we have two games with them next Wednesday and Friday...

With our propensity to losing to them to begin with, it doesnt look good.
Games are played on the ice..... Not on paper :p

metswon69
03-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Games are played on the ice..... Not on paper :p

That they are but the Penguins have owned us the last 2 years.

I hope that starts to change next week but looking at how much offensive depth they have is just scary.

NYY09
03-28-2013, 07:07 AM
That they are but the Penguins have owned us the last 2 years.

I hope that starts to change next week but looking at how much offensive depth they have is just scary.

Yeah I'm not sure I've disliked the Pens so much since Super Mario but I agree with Oak, games are won on the ice and not paper. Having said that, yeah, the Pens are stacked, I mean how in hell does a team get Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Morrow, Fleury and Iginla on one team, that's just silly, but it makes it all the better when they lose.... :D

metswon69
03-28-2013, 07:11 AM
Yeah I'm not sure I've disliked the Pens so much since Super Mario but I agree with Oak, games are won on the ice and not paper. Having said that, yeah, the Pens are stacked, I mean how in hell does a team get Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, Morrow, Fleury and Iginla on one team, that's just silly, but it makes it all the better when they lose.... :D

Don't forget about Kunitz either, he might be their second best offensive player this year.

You guys are right, the games are still played on the ice but i hope the Rangers make a corresponding move to add some offensive and/or defensive depth in the next few days.

NYSPORTS98
03-28-2013, 07:34 AM
Let's just hope Sather and company don't panic and do something stupid like trade McIlrath for a 36 yr old defenseman. This fan base is smart and the backlash will be similar to Espo days when he fired Bergeron.

metswon69
03-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Let's just hope Sather and company don't panic and do something stupid like trade McIlrath for a 36 yr old defenseman. This fan base is smart and the backlash will be similar to Espo days when he fired Bergeron.

I think McIlrath is one of their untouchables unless a team really barrels them over for him.

NYSPORTS98
03-28-2013, 07:48 AM
I'll say it "yet again". This is the early 90's. While the Rangers added some nice pieces, the Superstar Pens were adding Ron Francis and company. They just added Rich Tochett (Iginla). History is repeating itself.

oak2455
03-28-2013, 07:52 AM
I'll say it "yet again". This is the early 90's. While the Rangers added some nice pieces, the Superstar Pens were adding Ron Francis and company. They just added Rich Tochett (Iginla). History is repeating itself.
Sounds about right ;)

NYSPORTS98
03-28-2013, 07:53 AM
I think McIlrath is one of their untouchables unless a team really barrels them over for him.

Screw it. It's too early but it's time to bring him up. Darius Kasparaitis and Vladamir Malakhov unleashed hell against the Pens in the early 90's. IMO, this is the Rangers only chance. Bring up McIlrath and maybe get another banger on the blue line.

This scheme is not going to defeat the Pens and I hope the Rangers get them in the first round.

nyr2002nyr
03-28-2013, 07:55 AM

Its weird i never hated them that much back in the early 90's. But Sidney's crying has made me hate him and them on a whole different level

NYSPORTS98
03-28-2013, 08:18 AM
Its weird i never hated them that much back in the early 90's. But Sidney's crying has made me hate him and them on a whole different level

OMG, how could you not hate them? Coming off the Paul Coffee cheap shots on Tony Granato non-stop in the late 80's followed by Super Mario and company making Darren Turcotte and company look like a minor league team while taking dives all over the ice for power plays. The Rangers could have had both Richter and Johnny Van in net at the same time and puck would have gone through.

metswon69
03-28-2013, 08:20 AM
Screw it. It's too early but it's time to bring him up. Darius Kasparaitis and Vladamir Malakhov unleashed hell against the Pens in the early 90's. IMO, this is the Rangers only chance. Bring up McIlrath and maybe get another banger on the blue line.

This scheme is not going to defeat the Pens and I hope the Rangers get them in the first round.

I don't want to hurt future development at the expense of a hypothetical matchup with the Pens. For all we know Fleury and/or Vokoun could be terrible in the first round and they could get bumped out of the playoffs right away (which won't be by the Rangers i believe because i expect us to better than an 8th seed)

That being said, the Rangers know where they need to improve. A bruiser with a decent shot from the point wouldn't be a bad idea or even a bottom 6 forward with offensive ability.

I like Fast, Zukes, and Kreider being with the team but they still need more.

nyr2002nyr
03-28-2013, 08:38 AM
OMG, how could you not hate them? Coming off the Paul Coffee cheap shots on Tony Granato non-stop in the late 80's followed by Super Mario and company making Darren Turcotte and company look like a minor league team while taking dives all over the ice for power plays. The Rangers could have had both Richter and Johnny Van in net at the same time and puck would have gone through.

Let me rephrase i didnt hate them as much as i hate the current team. I had a lot of respect for super Mario he was unreal. I think if he didnt have the health issues he would also have the goal record. Yeah it was hard tyo watch back then but that showed us we were close and needed a tweak and we got it done

oak2455
03-28-2013, 11:35 AM

A real Ranger fan:clap::clap::hi5:

rocowear21
03-28-2013, 12:42 PM
What about a move to re acquire a guy like antropov. I really liked him when he was here with us a few years ago.
He is a big body, plays infront of the net and still has a pritty descent shot. I would trade him for boyle anyday

metswon69
03-28-2013, 12:59 PM
What about a move to re acquire a guy like antropov. I really liked him when he was here with us a few years ago.
He is a big body, plays infront of the net and still has a pritty descent shot. I would trade him for boyle anyday

I don't know if they would take Boyle for him, and he only has 4 goals this year.

The one good thing is he is a rental but i would hope the Rangers would setting their sights higher for a more significant offensive presence.

They can only do so much with limited cap space i guess.

rocowear21
03-28-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't know if they would take Boyle for him, and he only has 4 goals this year.

The one good thing is he is a rental but i would hope the Rangers would setting their sights higher for a more significant offensive presence.

They can only do so much with limited cap space i guess.

Valid point. I just really like what I saw from him when he played against us last week. We never have someone in front of the net unless its cally during the pp. He would bring a little more size to us as well.
I know is contract is up at the end of the year. He doesnt have over 5 or 6 goals, so they couldnt get a kings ransoml, whats boyle 25 or so.

metswon69
03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Valid point. I just really like what I saw from him when he played against us last week. We never have someone in front of the net unless its cally during the pp. He would bring a little more size to us as well.
I know is contract is up at the end of the year. He doesnt have over 5 or 6 goals, so they couldnt get a kings ransoml, whats boyle 25 or so.

You mean age? Boyle is 28.

I honestly want to bring back Jagr, he's another rental and already have 14 goals this year. Problem is the Stars and Jaromir are talking about a contract extension.

The Rangers need another goal scorer though, especially with the inconsistent play of Richards and Gaborik.

Or at the very least another defenseman depending on Staal's health.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-28-2013, 01:36 PM
I remember Coffey roughing up Tony behind the goal line. I never thought Paul looked that big until that moment. Man that guy had an amazing shot never mind world class skating. Hard to believe skating used to be a weakness for him. I do not hate the Pens but I did like when Duby stood up to Crosby.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-28-2013, 01:37 PM
I would really like Jagr back here but I do not see that happening. He has really produced.

oak2455
03-28-2013, 02:01 PM
When's the deadline ?

nyr2002nyr
03-28-2013, 02:04 PM
I would really like Jagr back here but I do not see that happening. He has really produced.

I could have sworn he got a 2 year deal didnt he?

metswon69
03-28-2013, 02:31 PM
When's the deadline ?

April 3rd.

metswon69
03-28-2013, 02:32 PM
I could have sworn he got a 2 year deal didnt he?

One year but he is working on an extension with the Stars reportedly.

bsi
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
One year but he is working on an extension with the Stars reportedly.

That's a ridiculously dumb thing for the Stars to do unless they agreed not to trade him before he signed there. They could get something fairly decent for him right now.

metswon69
03-28-2013, 02:47 PM
That's a ridiculously dumb thing for the Stars to do unless they agreed not to trade him before he signed there. They could get something fairly decent for him right now.

Yep sell high.

I guess that's why they are the Dallas Stars. :shrug:

J4KOP99
03-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Oh man I would be so fired up if we we brought jagr back.

I doubt we do **** considering Glenn is currently in the hospital getting surgery done/recovering

rocowear21
03-28-2013, 02:57 PM
If they want a chance this year I believe they are going to have to bring in another top Dman. I am not worried out offense with zucc coming back and krieder finding his game as long as he gets the minutes. (Miller also needs to step up) anyway D is the way to go this year boys. Hank cant stop everything and MCD and Girardi can only play so many minutes. Its to bad the jets are doing as good as they are because I would try to make a deal and go with Antropov and Buff.

rocowear21
03-28-2013, 02:59 PM
I would def love jagr but I dont think there is anyway he leaves dallas. Specially since I heard he is working on a extension. We are going to have to look elsewhere. I read somewhere that awhile ago the rangers were looking at Brassard from the Blue Jackets. I could do a deal for him and lets say jj

rocowear21
03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Brassard and JJ for Gaborik, Boyle, Prospect Pick

Hags Stephan Nash
Kreider Richards Cally
Zucc Brassard Miller
Asham Powe Fast

Girardi MCD
JJ Delzotto
Staal Stralman

NYSPORTS98
03-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98

A real Ranger fan:clap::clap::hi5:

:hi5:

Mr.Wiskers
03-28-2013, 07:32 PM
Fast will only be with us till April 12, since he's gotta be back for the world juniors. And I saw a report where they said Lindberg will probably not make it here in time to be eligible for the playoffs. You might want to take Fast off the 4th line and add Newbury or Pyatt.

bsi
03-28-2013, 09:35 PM
Fast will only be with us till April 12, since he's gotta be back for the world juniors. And I saw a report where they said Lindberg will probably not make it here in time to be eligible for the playoffs. You might want to take Fast off the 4th line and add Newbury or Pyatt.

Fast has the option to decline the world championship, would likely depend on his chances of making the Rangers.

nyr2002nyr
03-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Fast has the option to decline the world championship, would likely depend on his chances of making the Rangers.

Oh nice I didn't know he had the option.

rocowear21
03-29-2013, 09:46 AM

The more I watch newbury the more I like him to be honest. He was descent on faceoffs and not afraid to shoot the puck, which we need. He is physical and a descent puck mover. I could do that

bsi
03-29-2013, 12:13 PM
The more I watch newbury the more I like him to be honest. He was descent on faceoffs and not afraid to shoot the puck, which we need. He is physical and a descent puck mover. I could do that

It's crazy he hasn't been used more, leads our AHL team every year in points. I always wanted him up with the bigs.

rocowear21
03-29-2013, 03:24 PM
He def deserves some play time over a guy like Boyle who actually went like 9 games without a shot on goal lol

redwhiteandblue
03-29-2013, 03:47 PM
Yeah from what I have seen out of Newbury I have been impressed as him in a bottom 6 role. Plays his role very well.

metswon69
03-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 2m

#NYR announce signing of free agent D Conor Allen, 23, 6-1, 210, from UMass-Amherst. Allen had 5 G, 14 A, 53 PIM in 33 games this season

Mr.Wiskers
03-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Cool thanks I was waiting for something to come down.

NYY09
03-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 2m

:clap: depth plus its always nice when they pick the team you root for :D

apdamico
03-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Add Dennis Wideman to the defense.

metswon69
03-30-2013, 04:14 PM
Add Dennis Wideman to the defense.

No way..

He is making 26 million over the next 5 years.

NYY09
03-31-2013, 05:57 AM
Kaberle was released yesterday. Anyone know what his deal is? Is he toast or what?

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 02:35 PM
@HartnettHockey:

The #NYRangers have re-asigned forward Kris Newbury to the #CTWhale.

metswon69
03-31-2013, 02:50 PM
@HartnettHockey:

Why?

Newbury has been good on the 4th line.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-31-2013, 03:08 PM
Why?

Newbury has been good on the 4th line.

He has been okay but this move is more rearranging the deck chairs on a sinking boat unless followed by another move. He did take a questionable penalty last night. The bottom line in my opinion is our 4th line guys should not even see the ice in the next 14 games unless they are penalty killers like Powe. We need to get our top 9 guys playing in a tight playoff like rotation for the last 14 games.

nyr2002nyr
03-31-2013, 07:16 PM
He has been okay but this move is more rearranging the deck chairs on a sinking boat unless followed by another move. He did take a questionable penalty last night. The bottom line in my opinion is our 4th line guys should not even see the ice in the next 14 games unless they are penalty killers like Powe. We need to get our top 9 guys playing in a tight playoff like rotation for the last 14 games.

Newbury wasn't bad at all. He was skating hard and stirring the pot. I wish he would of had more ice time.

NYR_NYJ
03-31-2013, 08:25 PM
This team lacks grit along with scoring but I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan Clowe here.

NYSPORTS98
03-31-2013, 10:18 PM
1. Buyout Richards - he was on the back nine before he got here
2. Trade Gaborik - thanks, see ya
3. offseason, trade Marc Staal. Yes, trade mediocre Marc
- He coughed up the puck against the Caps in the playoffs which cost the Rangers two years ago
- He had a concussion last year
- He's out again this year
- He cost a fortune and isn't that great

4. Go sign Malkin (if possible)

bsi
03-31-2013, 10:30 PM
1. Buyout Richards - he was on the back nine before he got here
2. Trade Gaborik - thanks, see ya
- He coughed up the puck against the Caps in the playoffs which cost the Rangers two years ago
- He cost a fortune and isn't that great

4. Go sign Malkin (if possible)

Two things.
1. Marc Staal was our best dman this year until he got hit with a puck in the eye. We only have 4 decent D, losing one won't help at all.
2. Malkin isn't going anywhere.

NYSPORTS98
03-31-2013, 10:41 PM
1. Marc Staal was our best dman this year until he got hit with a puck in the eye. We only have 4 decent D, losing one won't help at all.

He's overrated and below is also true. This team needs another centerman and it's going to cost money. Money which is tied up in a multiple overrated players including Richards and Staal. Gaborik just isn't getting it done.

- He cost a fortune and isn't that great. I believe his best season offensive output was 29 points. Give me a break.

beast023
04-01-2013, 02:17 AM
a) you're referring to one instance that happened two seasons ago (are you serious??)
b) yea he had a concussion last year which he has clearly recovered from
c) he's out again this year because a puck hit him in the face, which is not the same as having a chronic leg or back injury. it's a freak accident.
d) he doesn't "cost a fortune" 3.5m for the way he played this year is pretty much a steal. he doesn't have elite point production but he isn't being paid elite money either. he is elite on the defensive side of the ice, however. make no mistake about that. he has also been used more as a defensive dman as well. when you do see him get the opportunity to rush the puck, or jump into the play in the offensive zone, he can help create offense.

but no lets trade marc staal because he is clearly the problem with the rangers

as for gaborik, i'm on the fence about him. i understand he isn't producing, but some factors to consider are the surgery he had in the offseason, the lack of training camp, the poor play of richards, as well as the fit in the system he's in. he did pretty well last year for us until he got hurt in the playoffs. i feel like he could come into camp next year and play really well for us and be a 40 goal guy again. we know he has the ability, but it's just a matter of when is he going to turn it on. he's looked like he has a little more jump the last few games and thats when he's really good. he could be brilliant from here on out, who knows... but on the other hand he may not turn that corner til next year which doesn't help us now. he does however have quite a bit of trade value because he is obviously a good player and I'm sure other people around the league realize that he didn't just fall off the planet. could he net a guy like stastny who might benefit from a change of scenery, while allowing us to cut ties with brad richards (if we chose to in the offseason), fortifying our depth at center for this year, and allowing an opportunity for kreider/miller/zuc to fill a top 6 role?

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
a) you're referring to one instance that happened two seasons ago (are you serious??)
b) yea he had a concussion last year which he has clearly recovered from
c) he's out again this year because a puck hit him in the face, which is not the same as having a chronic leg or back injury. it's a freak accident.
d) he doesn't "cost a fortune" 3.5m for the way he played this year is pretty much a steal. he doesn't have elite point production but he isn't being paid elite money either. he is elite on the defensive side of the ice, however. make no mistake about that. he has also been used more as a defensive dman as well. when you do see him get the opportunity to rush the puck, or jump into the play in the offensive zone, he can help create offense.

but no lets trade marc staal because he is clearly the problem with the rangers

So let's keep him b/c he's mediocre at best?

At 6'4 the guy weight only 207lbs.
Is he physical? Not really
Does he play his angles well in the D-end? He's ok
Can he catch up to a play? No, so he hangs back
Does he have a great shot? No
Does he have a great breakout pass? No
Can he carry the puck up ice well? No
Do opponents skate with their heads up coming into the Rangers zone b/c of Staal? No

WTHEck is Marc Staal so good at and why are so many Rangers fans defensive of this mediocre player?

For a team which needs a banger on the backline, a QB on the PP and likely another center, why can't the team move Staal next offseason? He might not be a liability but he's nothing more than a mediocre asset.

fingerbang
04-01-2013, 10:12 AM

Do opponents skate with their heads up coming into the Rangers zone b/c of Staal? No

WTHEck is Marc Staal so good at and why are so many Rangers fans defensive of this mediocre player?

For a team which needs a banger on the backline, a QB on the PP and likely another center, why can't the team move Staal next offseason? He might not be a liability but he's nothing more than a mediocre asset.

For 3.9 million you don't get Paul Coffey and Scott Stevens rolled into one.

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 10:40 AM

Nobody asked for combined Hall of Fame players but the dollars should equate to more than Marc Staal.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-01-2013, 10:52 AM
I'm surprised to hear this about Staal. Many fans felt he played better than McD and Girardi this season.

fingerbang
04-01-2013, 10:55 AM
You don't get an elite dman for 3.9. Staal's been a bargain. Here's some comparable contracts.

http://capgeek.com/comparables/?player_id=634&year_id=2012

metswon69
04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Nobody asked for combined Hall of Fame players but the dollars should equate to more than Marc Staal.

He is still better than guys like Giordano, Seidenberg, Gleason, Hjalmarsson, Erik Johnson, Trevor Dailey, Kuba, Kaberle (who was put on waivers), Meszaros & Coburn (who both make a 1.5 million more), Zbynek Michalek and a host of other defenseman making similar salaries.

I don't know what you think you are going to get for 3.9 million.

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 11:44 AM
I'm surprised to hear this about Staal. Many fans felt he played better than McD and Girardi this season.

Which speaks volumes about this overall defensive unit. I like the kids but none are bangers and none really can qb the pp. Staal has the size but doesn't play like a guy his size. Maybe he stays at 207lbs b/c added weight could further slow him down or he just doesn't hit the weights enough.

NYY09
04-01-2013, 11:51 AM

Not saying that you're wrong but can you give an example of even 2 d-men that are better and make about the same or less?

Staal and his contract are far from the problem. This season's failures are more about Gaborik and Richards playing like AHL players than guys making a combined 14.1 million. If those 2 produced at their normal levels the team would be night and day.

Sure one can pick on Staal, but the truth is that the ENTIRE team is underperforming, even Hank. Much deeper problems than Staal and his 3.9, and just to give perspective Hamrlik is making 3.5 so theres that....

fingerbang
04-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Which speaks volumes about this overall defensive unit. I like the kids but none are bangers and none really can qb the pp. Staal has the size but doesn't play like a guy his size. Maybe he stays at 207lbs b/c added weight could further slow him down or he just doesn't hit the weights enough.

Ovechkin doesn't think he's too small.

nyr2002nyr
04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Staal is not gonna score you 50 points nor does he play bad D he is a well rounded d man. He can play on my team any day of the week

bsi
04-01-2013, 12:37 PM
I have no problem at all with Staal's game really. Don't know what there is to complain about at 3.9 mill. If you wanna complain, complain about Stralman, Eminger, Bickel(i know demoted), and Gilroy, put them on the ice at the same time and they still get beat wide.

itsmillertime
04-01-2013, 01:57 PM
This defense absolutely blows without Staal. He is by FAR the only good hitter on our entire defense and he hits often.

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Ovechkin doesn't think he's too small.

He said that? Iink? Like your claims on the Giants OL being better than the 49ers OL, it doesn't appear you understand beyond a few highlights. I

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Not saying that you're wrong but can you give an example of even 2 d-men that are better and make about the same or less?

Staal and his contract are far from the problem. This season's failures are more about Gaborik and Richards playing like AHL players than guys making a combined 14.1 million. If those 2 produced at their normal levels the team would be night and day.

Sure one can pick on Staal, but the truth is that the ENTIRE team is underperforming, even Hank. Much deeper problems than Staal and his 3.9, and just to give perspective Hamrlik is making 3.5 so theres that....

Respectfully, one has nothing to do with the other. We all know Richards and Gabby have been awful and are part of an overall problem but I've been on Staal for years. The Rangers drafted McIlrath b/c Staal isn't a physical presence. At 6'4, I expect more and am not sure exactly what he's good at.

fingerbang
04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
He said that? Iink? Like your claims on the Giants OL being better than the 49ers OL, it doesn't appear you understand beyond a few highlights. I

He's known for giving Ovechkin a very hard time as well as other big forwards.

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 02:51 PM

From your eyes (like the giants/49ers OL)

fingerbang
04-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Yea, I'm sure I'm the only one that's noticed that...

nyr2002nyr
04-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Yea, I'm sure I'm the only one that's noticed that...

Nope he has always given Ovi fits and i agree

metswon69
04-01-2013, 04:14 PM
From your eyes (like the giants/49ers OL)

Ovechkin has 3 goals against the Rangers in his last 11 regular season games and much of his ineffectiveness has been tied to Staal's play on him.

runnermjr1296
04-01-2013, 06:03 PM

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Seriously I don't think he's over paid at all

QUBobcats550
04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Nope he has always given Ovi fits and i agree

Ovechkin has 3 goals against the Rangers in his last 11 regular season games and much of his ineffectiveness has been tied to Staal's play on him.

I believe you guys are thinking of Girardi, not Staal.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-01-2013, 07:01 PM
I think they are referring to some of the physical battles Staal used to have with Ovie before the concussion. MSG would show some clips of their physical battles before the games. Ovie also got in to it and would look to give some hard hits back to Staal.

fingerbang
04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
Had this debate a few years ago. Posted this video then and I'll do it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-WDLTt5Iso

Most of his highlighted hits are against Ovechkin and then there's some Dustin Brown. Don't know why people say he's soft. He's the best open ice hitter on the team.

NYY09
04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Respectfully, one has nothing to do with the other. We all know Richards and Gabby have been awful and are part of an overall problem but I've been on Staal for years. The Rangers drafted McIlrath b/c Staal isn't a physical presence. At 6'4, I expect more and am not sure exactly what he's good at.

It doesn't but while we're picking on guys I had to throw those two under the bus :D

I'm not sure that McIlrath was picked because of Staal or because the team needed a banger on the blue line. One thing that I think we can agree on is that the blue is considerably softer without Marc

bsi
04-01-2013, 07:58 PM
I think they are referring to some of the physical battles Staal used to have with Ovie before the concussion. MSG would show some clips of their physical battles before the games. Ovie also got in to it and would look to give some hard hits back to Staal.

I think what people are referring to is that Ovi said that Staal was the hardest D to play against.

metswon69
04-01-2013, 09:18 PM
I think what people are referring to is that Ovi said that Staal was the hardest D to play against.

Multiple times..

metswon69
04-01-2013, 09:19 PM
The deadline is less than 2 days away.

I wonder what the Rangers have in the works, if anything.

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Had this debate a few years ago. Posted this video then and I'll do it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-WDLTt5Iso

Most of his highlighted hits are against Ovechkin and then there's some Dustin Brown. Don't know why people say he's soft. He's the best open ice hitter on the team.

Any videos of the opponent skating with their heads up into the Rangers end? There don't appear to be any but there sure are a lot of the goalie standing on his head. lol

Oh, and here are some crunching hits by Michael Del Zotto. He must be as physical as Staal, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT3ovL0AIzw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBHNfqJ6NJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbo0g599x0

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 09:54 PM
I'm not sure that McIlrath was picked because of Staal or because the team needed a banger on the blue line. One thing that I think we can agree on is that the blue is considerably softer without Marc

I think it's pretty obvious why McIlrath was drafted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM -

metswon69
04-01-2013, 10:03 PM
I think it's pretty obvious why McIlrath was drafted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRCpN4OMpM -

I don't understand all the Staal hate :shrug:

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?810233-Rumors-moves-etc-thread&p=25780772#post25780772

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?810233-Rumors-moves-etc-thread&p=25780818#post25780818

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't understand all the Staal hate :shrug:

I don't understand the love.

bsi
04-01-2013, 10:45 PM
I don't get all the Staal hate either, he's the only one that's able to come out of his end with the puck on his stick and he was our best D before a puck squashed his face. He's not Leetch but he's not Bickel either, our team is much better with more of him and less Stralman/Eminger/Bickel.

NYSPORTS98
04-01-2013, 10:58 PM
A little Tommy Hughes signing.

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/tommy-hughes/news-rangers-sign-tommy-hughes/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

A nice 6'2 215lbs defenseman willing to drop the gloves and lose to anybody lol :jumpy:.

Former Capitals coach and current Knights coach Dale Hunter said that Hughes is “fearless” and keeps getting better every year. Hunter added that “he’s a very good skater. He’s fast. He stays in a crouch, which he should anyways, and he’s strong.”

MetroNews says that Hughes could easily follow in the path of former Knights defensemen Dan Girardi and Marc Methot.

bsi
04-01-2013, 11:26 PM
A little Tommy Hughes signing.

http://snyrangersblog.com/prospects/tommy-hughes/news-rangers-sign-tommy-hughes/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

A nice 6'2 215lbs defenseman willing to drop the gloves and lose to anybody lol :jumpy:.

He's a late bloomer but could be something suitable for our bottom 6 down the road, nice to see us add some D depth, doesn't hurt to gamble. I watched a playoff game with him in it against Saginaw in March and he was solid, nothing special but solid. Max Domi (son of Tie Domi) was great that game.

fingerbang
04-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Any videos of the opponent skating with their heads up into the Rangers end? There don't appear to be any but there sure are a lot of the goalie standing on his head. lol

Oh, and here are some crunching hits by Michael Del Zotto. He must be as physical as Staal, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT3ovL0AIzw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBHNfqJ6NJ0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQbo0g599x0

MDZ is a pretty physical dman. The whole top 4 is, Staal is the best open ice hitter on the team.

The whole debate was about whether he was worth his contract and you completely dodged my post where I showed you comparable contracts.

fingerbang
04-02-2013, 12:16 AM
http://snyrangersblog.com/international-hockey/olympics/read-which-rangers-will-play-for-canada-in-2014/

At CBC, Tim Wharnsby assembled a panel of six people to vote on who they thought would be part of Team Canada’s Olympic team in 2014.

Rangers defenseman Marc Staal was put on four of six ballots and looked at as the sixth defenseman behind Shea Weber, Duncan Keith, Drew Doughty, Brent Seabrook and Alex Pietrangelo.

Michael Del Zotto also received one vote.

As for forwards, Rick Nash was picked on five of six ballots to represent Canada for the third time in his career.

Both Staal and Nash have been mentioned as potential 2014 Olympians before.

At Sportsnet, Mark Spector picks his roster and doesn’t include Marc Staal, but does include Michael Del Zotto.

Spector has Nash on the top line left wing with Sidney Crosby and James Neal.

On TSN, Ray Ferraro picked both Dan Girardi and Marc Staal to make Team Canada.

Ferraro has Nash on the second line with Claude Giroux and Steven Stamkos.

At USA Today, Kevin Allen picks Girardi, Staal and Nash (on a line with Stamkos and Marty St. Louis) to make Team Canada.

At ESPN.com, Pierre LeBrun and Scott Burnside pick their rosters for Team Canada.

Both have Rick Nash and Marc Staal on their rosters. Burnside has Michael Del Zotto making the team while LeBrun counts him as someone “on the radar.”

Allan Muir of SI has Dan Girardi making team Canada but not Marc Staal. He has Brent Seabrook with a slight edge over Staal.

He also does not have Nash on the team as he says Nash has underperformed in his last few international events.

Lots of people were projecting Staal to be a part of Canada's defense at the upcoming Olympics, a team that ices the best defenseman on the planet but you don't think he's worth a 3.9 cap hit.

redwhiteandblue
04-02-2013, 01:03 AM
To be fair, I'm just going to point this out rather then delve right into your guys' debate, but that wasn't exactly why McIlrath was drafted.

You're playing semantics if you believe McIlrath is the only physical defensemen in the system. Staal may not be openly hard-nosed like McIlrath, but he is by no means a slouch, pushover or easy to play against. One thing I miss about Dubinsky is that he openly went after Crosby when he deserved it, or Ovechkin or Kovalchuk for that matter.

In regards to McIlrath, he brings a different type of grit to his game. If you think forwards aren't trying to avoid Staals side or don't acknowledge he's there when they are entering our defensive zone, you are crazy. The difference McIlrath holds is on top of that is that he will make teams think twice about making any bonehead or stupid moves on any of our guys, anywhere on the ice, at any time, because they will pay the price of a pro-bono face re-construction.

The reason McIlrath was drafted was not because of a lack of physical defensemen (Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and even MDZ at times are known to lay big hits and are very strong) but rather a lack of absolute mean, dirty, grit you need on every team to win.

Also, in case you weren't watching the draft that day, Rangers were thought to have reached but in turn it looked as a smart move because teams were salavating over Dylan's maturity and the fact they thought he would be the biggest sleeper looking back on that draft day down the road. Boy has he been proving everyone, including Gordie Clarke and Co., right.

redwhiteandblue
04-02-2013, 01:03 AM
As far as whether Staal is even good, yeah, you will find very few people other than narrow-minded Rangers fans who will agree. It's obvious how important to this team he is even around the league.

NYSPORTS98
04-02-2013, 07:36 AM
To be fair, I'm just going to point this out rather then delve right into your guys' debate, but that wasn't exactly why McIlrath was drafted.

You're playing semantics if you believe McIlrath is the only physical defensemen in the system. Staal may not be openly hard-nosed like McIlrath, but he is by no means a slouch, pushover or easy to play against. One thing I miss about Dubinsky is that he openly went after Crosby when he deserved it, or Ovechkin or Kovalchuk for that matter.

I expect more out of a 6'4 defenseman who doesn't appear to anything poorly yet nothing better than medicore. I'll never understand the praise he gets until I see something worth praising.

In regards to McIlrath, he brings a different type of grit to his game. If you think forwards aren't trying to avoid Staals side or don't acknowledge he's there when they are entering our defensive zone, you are crazy.

I've been in the Garden a lot and fans are always ripping Staal, especially if Lundy gets pushed. Staal does nothing at this size but hug a fella while every Devils defenseman goes nuts if Brodeur get touched. Sure, skating into the Rangers end, the opposing forwards avoid Staal b/c he plays his angles terribly too often. Forwards can get into postion very easily against him and Lundy has had to stand on his head often b/c Staal let's the guy get into shooting position. No way these forwards are skating with their heads up coming in the Rangers end. They're confident they're not getting slammed b/c there is no physical presence on the backline. Heck, he's only 207lbs at 6'4.

The difference McIlrath holds is on top of that is that he will make teams think twice about making any bonehead or stupid moves on any of our guys, anywhere on the ice, at any time, because they will pay the price of a pro-bono face re-construction.

I hope so. It appears he welcomes the contact like real physical defensemen do. Doubt he's ever a Stevens but hoping for a rich man's Ken Daneyko.

The reason McIlrath was drafted was not because of a lack of physical defensemen (Staal, Girardi, McDonagh and even MDZ at times are known to lay big hits and are very strong) but rather a lack of absolute mean, dirty, grit you need on every team to win.

I disagree. check link http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/rangers/new-york-rangers-surprise-nhl-draft-pick-bruiser-dylan-mcilrath-heralded-prospects-article-1.185693

>>>Dylan McIlrath is 6-foot-4, 212 pounds, and his selection can stand as a bald admission by the Rangers of how soft they have been on the blue line for so many years - and a step toward changing that . . .
"This ingredient is missing from the New York Rangers," said Blueshirts director of player personnel Gordie Clark. "<<<

Nobody was clearly the front of the net before, during or since McILRath was drafted. Not even positive McDonagh was a Ranger yet but could be wrong.

Also, in case you weren't watching the draft that day, Rangers were thought to have reached but in turn it looked as a smart move because teams were salavating over Dylan's maturity and the fact they thought he would be the biggest sleeper looking back on that draft day down the road. Boy has he been proving everyone, including Gordie Clarke and Co., right.

(more responses above) The NHL is neck and neck with the MLB amateur draft as a real cr@p shoot. It's tough enough for the NFL to get it correct with college players let alone high school kids. McILrath's skating is still suspect but he does throw his weight around. Something I wish Staal could do with more authority considering some Rangers fans think MDZ is physical (lol, my gosh, have these fans watched the Devils defense for the past 20 years?)

fingerbang
04-02-2013, 10:19 AM
(more responses above) The NHL is neck and neck with the MLB amateur draft as a real cr@p shoot. It's tough enough for the NFL to get it correct with college players let alone high school kids. McILrath's skating is still suspect but he does throw his weight around. Something I wish Staal could do with more authority considering some Rangers fans think MDZ is physical (lol, my gosh, have these fans watched the Devils defense for the past 20 years?)

You mean before the rule changes? The Devils haven't had a physical defense in years.

metswon69
04-02-2013, 10:37 AM
They pushed the Rangers forwards all over the ice. Missed that too huh?

Neutral zone trap..

They pushed a lot of teams all over the ice but that advantage is gone now.

4 Stanley Cup appearances from 1995-2003, 1 since then.

fingerbang
04-02-2013, 10:41 AM
They pushed the Rangers forwards all over the ice. Missed that too huh? (Not to mention the rest of the post).

Stevens retired a long time ago. Marek Zidlicky currently leads their defense in hits. Real physical right?

NYSPORTS98
04-02-2013, 10:43 AM
Neutral zone trap..

They pushed a lot of teams all over the ice but that advantage is gone now.

4 Stanley Cup appearances from 1995-2003, 1 since then.

Oh please, they lose home grown talent non-stop and still push the Rangers around the ice.

itsmillertime
04-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Sorry, but you have to be lost to not see how bad this defense is without Staal. There were not issues with players standing all alone in front until Staal got hurt. Not to mention the games of Girardi and McDonagh have drastically dropped since Staal has been out. You just hate Staal. He probably didn't give you an autograph once.

SLY WILLIAMS
04-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Okay guys I have deleted a bunch of posts. I did not give out any infractions yet but it has to end now. Any further rules violations will lead to infractions and or bans. Please see the site rules or PM me if you have any questions. You guys are better than this. This thread will re open later on today.

Your friendly neighborhood Spiderman. :)