PDA

View Full Version : D'Antoni blasts Kobe for defense, effort and "hero ball"

sunsfan88
03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
“What happened was we didn’t play hard enough. We think we can just figure things out and just point. I mean, Trevor Ariza‘s got 12 attempts at three and he’s wide open. That’s inexcusable and it’s just a matter of lapses or gambling or ‘I’m not gonna play hard tonight because we’re just gonna outscore them….’

“There’s no explanation for it. I don’t know. I can’t explain it, but every time we get up 16, it’s like, ‘Oh, we’re really good and we don’t have to play hard.’ And we start messing with the game. You start messing with not moving the ball. You start messing with ‘I’m just gonna go 1-on-1 every time.’ You start messing with the basketball Gods and they get you. That ball will roll around and go in for them and it’ll roll around and go out for us, because we’re messing with the game.

“And if we don’t change that, well, obviously we won’t make the playoffs. But even if we do, then we’ll get blown out in the playoffs. …

And I told them in (the locker room), we put our hands in (the huddle), and you’ve guys have probably seen it, we say ‘Championship!” and go out there. And that’s laughable. Championship? You gotta be kidding me

“Until they understand the importance of every possession offensively and defensively, and every time, they gotta come out with some kind of determination to be a good basketball team, then we’re just fooling ourselves. And right now, that’s what we’re doing. We’re making sham-mockery of it, or whatever that is.”

http://www.nba.com/lakers/video/2013/03/22/130322Dantonimov-2421971

He basically just called out Kobe without actually saying his name. Kobe was the one guarding Ariza for most, if not all, of the night and let him shoot complete open 3 pointers. Kobe was the one half assing it and just worrying about scoring and trying to outscore WAS. Kobe was also the one that decided "‘I’m just gonna go 1-on-1 every time" just like D'Antoni said.

Kinda surprised that D'Antoni actually cares about the Lakers defense...wish he did that about defense when he was in PHX :p

ManRam
03-23-2013, 11:46 AM
not sure he was just singling kobe out, but a lot of those do pertain to him.

i actually like what d'antoni has been saying publicly all year. he mentions the defense all the time, and seems completely aware that it's their biggest problem. he says the right things. now, does he actually preach this all to his players? who knows. i think it's safe to have your doubts.

kobe himself said what he did last night in the 4th in terms of not passing at all isn't gonna cut it. but again, he says stuff like that from time to time but rarely doesn't go full fledged hero ball mode. kobe's hit a ton of huge shots, but he's missed way more. hero ball works occasionally, but never the majority of the time.

dwight never will be a good 4th quarter player, but did he get a single 4th quarter touch? at the very least the hero ball offense is predictable as hell, regardless of whether kobe is hitting or not.

sunsfan88
03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
not sure he was just singling kobe out, but a lot of those do pertain to him.

i actually like what d'antoni has been saying publicly all year. he mentions the defense all the time, and seems completely aware that it's their biggest problem. he says the right things. now, does he actually preach this all to his players? who knows. i think it's safe to have your doubts.

kobe himself said what he did last night in the 4th in terms of not passing at all isn't gonna cut it. but again, he says stuff like that from time to time but rarely doesn't go full fledged hero ball mode. kobe's hit a ton of huge shots, but he's missed way more. hero ball works occasionally, but never the majority of the time.

dwight never will be a good 4th quarter player, but did he get a single 4th quarter touch? at the very least the hero ball offense is predictable as hell, regardless of whether kobe is hitting or not.
Even crazier than Dwight not getting any touches is Nash not getting any shot attempts.

Nash may be the NBA's most underrated clutch player.

OceanSpray
03-23-2013, 12:05 PM
You can't blame Kobe for that game. All in all, the LAL have a great roster with players who don't understand their role on the team. Nash is looking pretty useless. Those knockdown shooters that they hoped for don't even get in position because they aren't used to getting the ball. Kobe takes it upon himself to do everything and ends up costing the game for his team. Dwight shouldn't be getting any excuses at all. It's time for him to step up or sit out the rest of the season.

ManRam
03-23-2013, 12:13 PM
Even crazier than Dwight not getting any touches is Nash not getting any shot attempts.

Nash may be the NBA's most underrated clutch player.

their usage of nash is the most confusing thing ever.

and if d'antoni didn't rip into kobe after he chose whining and not hustling back instead of not leaving ariza wide open as he drained his 7th three, well, he shouldn't be coaching kobe bryant. again, he's saying the right things to the media, but it just doesn't seem like he's doing the right coaching/saying the right things to his team.

LAKobeBryant
03-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Still coaches fault, speak up and go at Kobe then stupid *** Dantoni. Don't wait till end of the game, what are you here for then. We all see Kobe leaving Ariza open and isolating in the 4th but speak up DURING the game stupid ***.

sunsfan88
03-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Still coaches fault, speak up and go at Kobe then stupid *** Dantoni. Don't wait till end of the game, what are you here for then. We all see Kobe leaving Ariza open and isolating in the 4th but speak up DURING the game stupid ***.

What if he is saying it during the game Kobe's arrogant ***** just isn't listening?

And Kobe isn't a rookie or something. He should know by now his defensive responsibilities and how to play sound offensive basketball.

If Kobe needs to be reminded to play defense and how to play offense, then the guy needs to retire.

R. Johnson#3
03-23-2013, 12:23 PM
To properly criticize someone for something you have to know what it is you're criticizing them about. Mike D'Antoni does not know what defence is.

Sactown
03-23-2013, 12:30 PM
That didn't look like he just took shots at Kobe.... Looks like he was talking about everyone taking breaks..

Sactown
03-23-2013, 12:33 PM
You can't blame Kobe for that game. All in all, the LAL have a great roster with players who don't understand their role on the team. Nash is looking pretty useless. Those knockdown shooters that they hoped for don't even get in position because they aren't used to getting the ball. Kobe takes it upon himself to do everything and ends up costing the game for his team. Dwight shouldn't be getting any excuses at all. It's time for him to step up or sit out the rest of the season.
Are you kidding me?? Dwight was 8-9 for 20 points while shooting 4-5 at the line with 15 rebounds....

shep33
03-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Kobe deserved that criticism. Although he's been our best player this year, he needs to fall in line on defense.

Bruno
03-23-2013, 01:00 PM
i see zero mention of 'hero ball' in the provided text.

TheLegend
03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
He basically just called out Kobe without actually saying his name. Kobe was the one guarding Ariza for most, if not all, of the night and let him shoot complete open 3 pointers. Kobe was the one half assing it and just worrying about scoring and trying to outscore WAS. Kobe was also the one that decided "‘I’m just gonna go 1-on-1 every time" just like D'Antoni said.

Kinda surprised that D'Antoni actually cares about the Lakers defense...wish he did that about defense when he was in PHX :p

He didn't mention Kobe so IMO, doesn't seem like he's calling him out. You just assumed he did.

Sactown
03-23-2013, 01:15 PM

Playing 1 on 1 and not moving the ball is "Hero ball" correct?

ManRam
03-23-2013, 01:16 PM

yeah. it might not be there. but he did say this:

You start messing with not moving the ball. You start messing with ‘I’m just gonna go 1-on-1 every time.’

not sure that's an explicit reference to kobe or not, but it could be interpreted that way.

5ass
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM
Kobe for mvp

still1ballin
03-23-2013, 01:56 PM
He is by far the worst coach ever. And I thought Mike Brown was bad? Sheesh, he makes Mike Brown look like a HOF

el hidalgo
03-23-2013, 02:04 PM
He is by far the worst coach ever. And I thought Mike Brown was bad? Sheesh, he makes Mike Brown look like a HOF

it's never kobe's fault right? kobe could shoot somebody, at the gun would be at fault.

is it that hard to guard trevor freakin ariza at the three point line? he got way too many open looks. kobe had a decent night offensively, but his defense has been inexcusable. there are other people on that team that can score. a team with dwight howard should never be this bad defensively.

Supreme LA
03-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Yes, he's right on the money and I'm sure he was referring to Kobe. The only thing that bothers me is why would you vent to the media when you can go directly to your superstar and tell him to his face? I get the feeling D'Antoni doesn't have the balls to do it and that's not the type of coach we need.

el hidalgo
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Yes, he's right on the money and I'm sure he was referring to Kobe. The only thing that bothers me is why would you vent to the media when you can go directly to your superstar and tell him to his face? I get the feeling D'Antoni doesn't have the balls to do it and that's not the type of coach we need.
how do you know what he does behind closed doors? people need to quit making assumptions. maybe he did, and kobe hasn't responded.

mightybosstone
03-23-2013, 02:32 PM
I won't lie. I went to bed last night assuming the Lakers were going to win that game. Waking up to find out they lost was a glorious little gift. It's like your girlfriend bringing you breakfast in bed wearing skimpy lingerie. Seriously, I have no idea how you can let the Washington Wizards climb back like that at home.

D12 fan
03-23-2013, 02:33 PM
sunsfan88 loves talking about the Lakers, if you ask me I think he is a fan of the Lakers.

5ass
03-23-2013, 02:37 PM

so did Lebron.

LAcowBOMBER
03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
This thread title is ridiculous

D12 fan
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
This thread title is ridiculousOh you ain't know people love to add drama whenever they talk about the Lakers.

championships
03-23-2013, 02:49 PM
Way to exaggerate the title.

It's all Kobes fault that the team gave up a 18 point lead right?

Bruno
03-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Playing 1 on 1 and not moving the ball is "Hero ball" correct?

yeah. it might not be there. but he did say this:

not sure that's an explicit reference to kobe or not, but it could be interpreted that way.

Quotations around text is reserved for direct quotes, not for summing up implication.

ManRam
03-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Quotations around text is reserved for direct quotes, not for summing up implication.

well yeah. "hero ball" shouldn't have been quoted in the title because he never said "hero ball".

but that's what he's talking about. hell, 90% of the people in the lakers gt last night were talking about it too. hell, kobe blamed his teammates for standing after the game, but admitted they need more balance. they might not say hero ball, but the term basically arose from kobe, and it's what he did last night. and it's a problem.

b@llhog24
03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
so did Lebron.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/7708826/images/1264130155417.jpg

lakersiznumber1
03-23-2013, 03:14 PM

its funny how positive thing about lakers people always say lajers forum but when its negative its ok for the nba forum lol

MaloDaw9
03-23-2013, 03:35 PM
its funny how positive thing about lakers people always say lajers forum but when its negative its ok for the nba forum lol

The NBA Forum is the toilet bowl of PSD my good man. The Kobe stalkers/haters hang out here like un-flushed diarrhea.

Hardaway Here
03-23-2013, 03:35 PM

This should be in the Laker forum. The topic isn't really anything new Kobe iso and leaving his man on defense same story different setting. Although I won't put all the blame on Kobe even though he deserves a nice portion of it it also falls on D'antoni as well. Dwight Howard was giving him efficient baskets all throughout the first half and they just stopped giving it to him. I guess the kobe system and d'antoni system works better then easy baskets system

Sactown
03-23-2013, 04:04 PM

So you came into the thread to attack the title and ignore the context?

and aren't you a mod? why don't you just change the title if it bothers you that much.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
03-23-2013, 04:36 PM
I wouldnt guard ariza either, he's a really crappy three point shooter.

Seguin
03-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Goodness it's cute seeing Lakers fans literally flock to his aid anytime someone even thinks Bout using negativity towards Kobe

OceanSpray
03-23-2013, 04:44 PM

7/12 isn't crappy. Took a risk and it lost you guys the game.

ztilzer31
03-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Even bad 3 point shooters can knock em down continuously if you don't play defense. This is the NBA.

I never understood the Nash signing. The whole "Nash and Dwight Pick N Roll" thing was never going to work. This team would be better if they let Nash control the offense to force a double team on Dwight, and then they could let Kobe destroy them in Isolation.

Phil Jackson said it best. The Lakers lack a plan to get Dwight Howard the ball in the post. Or whatever his quote was.

Sactown
03-23-2013, 04:56 PM

He's actually not a bad 3pt shooter... He shoots 36%, and even if he shot 20% from deep as an average... after he hit his 3rd, they probably should of taken him seriously

DanG
03-23-2013, 04:59 PM
:clap:

I was so frustrated with Kobe's defense last night. He was the one guarding Temple/Ariza (They went 9/15 from downtown).

ztilzer31
03-23-2013, 05:01 PM
In fairness who are the Laker's going to put on him? Their backcourt defense is probably their biggest weakness. Ron Artest isn't who he once was defensively.

DanG
03-23-2013, 05:06 PM
Kobe deserved that criticism. Although he's been our best player this year, he needs to fall in line on defense.

100% agree.

Kobe can be very good defensevely if he wants, but 9 times out of 10 he just does not.

b@llhog24
03-23-2013, 05:11 PM
In fairness who are the Laker's going to put on him? Their backcourt defense is probably their biggest weakness. Ron Artest isn't who he once was defensively.

Yea, as soon as Nash signed with the Lakers everyone knew that perimeter defense would be a problem.

CavsYanksDuke
03-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Ariza should NEVER outscore Kobe. That's on Kobe on the offensive end AND defensive end. He didn't just call him out for defense, he called him out completely.

And I like it.

zn23
03-23-2013, 05:23 PM
About time someone calls out Kobe on his cancerous play this year.

Bruno
03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
well yeah. "hero ball" shouldn't have been quoted in the title because he never said "hero ball".

right.

Bruno
03-23-2013, 05:32 PM
So you came into the thread to attack the title and ignore the context?

there was zero attack, the content was understood.

and aren't you a mod? why don't you just change the title if it bothers you that much.

you're assuming i have a problem with the title.

PHX2daDEATH
03-23-2013, 05:40 PM
he used to do this in Phoenix, crack his little whip..the Suns would respond a little during the regular season because all it did was piss them off..and they'd play in spite of him with a chip on their shoulder...then come playoff time they'd fold and get beat physically because they realized he sucked as a coach...((Much like the lakers will do in the next 30 days))

strokeman
03-23-2013, 05:55 PM

thats why i've said all along, MDA was a bad hire, i really expected Phil and Shaw to be coaching this team. MDA is just a bad fit, you make in-game adjustments not point fingers after the game.

Utd7
03-23-2013, 06:29 PM
I like that he's finally holding people accountable but it still won't work. Phil is needed.

ztilzer31
03-23-2013, 08:49 PM
I like that he's finally holding people accountable but it still won't work. Phil is needed.

I'm hoping Phil comes to Seattle when we get a team back :).

amos1er
03-23-2013, 08:55 PM
Wow, I actually respect D'Antoni for finally saying this. It's about time he grew a pair and started holding people accountable. This is what we need from him. Mike Brown was too much lf a ***** to say those things. Nice to know that D'Antoni gives a ****.

HuRRiCaNeS324
03-23-2013, 09:13 PM
And some how some way, Kobe will make the First Team All NBA Defense even though he only tries every other week.

****ing BS how many this guy has gotten....

sunsfan88
03-24-2013, 03:56 AM
And some how some way, Kobe will make the First Team All NBA Defense even though he only tries every other week.

I think I'm capable of scoring on Kobe Bryant now. He's honestly gotten that bad defensively.

KingPosey
03-24-2013, 04:14 AM
I can't stand when Mike D ever gets on a player for defense, it's ridiculous.

Faneik
03-24-2013, 08:11 AM
They're too old for the 'I can outscore you' mentality.

Imo, their offense is not efficient. Howard and Gasol now, should have more plays for them.

torocan
03-24-2013, 08:28 AM
I can't stand when Mike D ever gets on a player for defense, it's ridiculous.

That makes no sense.

People get mad that D'Antoni didn't emphasize Defense enough. Now that he is emphasizing defense more, people get on him for emphasizing Defense.

Human beings change and grow. The Lakers aren't running SSOL.

If D'Antoni is getting on the team about Defense, and his criticisms ring true, then what's the problem?

Kobe's defense has been madly inconsistent this season. And if the coach feels the need the call him out publicly about it, then that's his call.

As for Kobe, he can take it. He certainly doesn't need a host of Kobephiles coming to his aid. It's not like the dude has never called out his team mates and coaches before. It cuts both ways.

If Kobe can dish it out, he's certainly man enough to take it.

Verbal Christ
03-24-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm convinced. D'Antoni is a regular contributor on PSD. His views are so in line with most of us!!! LOL

BigCityofDreams
03-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Yes every single one he has received is a shame.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Kobe ****ed up, but it's not Kobes fault Dantoni has the worst rotations in basketball. That's why we lost.

lakerboy
03-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Sick of all the Steve Nash apologists.

Kobe had a bad game, leave it at that. Kobe had a great year for everybody. It is Steve Nash and D'Antoni who are busts this year.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-24-2013, 02:33 PM

Kobe had a bad game, leave it at that. Kobe had a great year for everybody. It is Steve Nash and D'Antoni who are busts this year.

^

Verbal Christ
03-24-2013, 03:18 PM
Funny to me that Phil Jackson was ready to come back, and in some kind of rush the Lakes go with D'Antoni. I never thought that his style would mesh with an older squad. LA really ****ed up by not bringing back Jackson at all costs, because I think he could have made a huge difference.

sunsfan88
03-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Nash has given more effort defensively this season for the Lakers than Kobe.

Nash actually gets back on defense even when the other team is in transition while Kobe is crying to the refs about a non call or just walking back instead of sprinting. Its just that Nash is too limited athletically and physically to do anything note worthy on defense.

D-Leethal
03-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Mike D's biggest weakness as a coach is probably his communication with his players. He is extremely lax and doesn't really believe in the drill sargeant mentality to get his players in line, he takes a more 'positive' approach and tries to keep their spirits and confidence high, and as a result guys tend to go thru lulls where they do whatever they want without repercussions as a natural reaction to that type of coaching. Knowing his history I highly doubt he said anything like this to their faces in the lockeroom, I think he loses the respect of his players with this type of communication-thru-the-media and not having the balls to confront your stars when they need to be confronted.

KingPosey
03-27-2013, 07:46 PM
That makes no sense.

People get mad that D'Antoni didn't emphasize Defense enough. Now that he is emphasizing defense more, people get on him for emphasizing Defense.

Human beings change and grow. The Lakers aren't running SSOL.

If D'Antoni is getting on the team about Defense, and his criticisms ring true, then what's the problem?

Kobe's defense has been madly inconsistent this season. And if the coach feels the need the call him out publicly about it, then that's his call.

As for Kobe, he can take it. He certainly doesn't need a host of Kobephiles coming to his aid. It's not like the dude has never called out his team mates and coaches before. It cuts both ways.

If Kobe can dish it out, he's certainly man enough to take it.
It absolutely makes sense. Just because he puts the blame on a guys defense verbally does not mean Mike D is practicing what e preaches. He puts no effort into defense behind the curtain and implements
No game plan for team defense. Just because he decides to complain about the bad defense and passes the buck publicly doesn't mean anything.

THAT is ridiculous