PDA

View Full Version : Sim Bhullar: NBA prospect, or just big?

JasonJohnHorn
03-21-2013, 12:20 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/sim-bhullar-college-basketball-tallest-player-making-huge-000225569--ncaab.html

Yahoo had an article on this guy... here are some of his stats:

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/player/sim-bhullar/1314218?q=sim-bhullar

I don't watch college ball, so I haven't seen him play, but give his height and weight, he seems like a very unique player, comparable to perhaps Mark Eaton. He's also average over 2 blocks per game in around 24 minutes of playing time. His rebounding numbers are extremely high, but the numbers are respectable, and his FG% is high (though doubt because he takes a lot of close shots).

Generally the NBA has only seen spindly 7'5+ guys (Manute, Muresun, Bradly) or guys that couldn't play a lot of minutes due to injury (see Yao), but this guy seems healthy, tall, and big. Not sure what his skill level is though, and you need to be more than just 'tall' to play in the NBA, but at the same time, you can't teach height. Mark Eaton was not as skilled as many players but still managed to use his size to maintain an impressive career.

Anybody out there seen this guy play? I'm curious about him, and being that he is Canadian, I'm also kind of excited at the prospect of having another Canadian star in the league.

Who has seen this kid play?

On a side note, he has a younger brother who is 7'2!

Colts_4_life
03-21-2013, 12:35 PM

topdog
03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
Yeah... so someone starts one of these every time Yahoo has an article about a super tall high school or college player. How many have turned out? Here's a hint: this guy isn't even featured in mock drafts.

LAKobeBryant
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Don't belong here he's not NBA related.

gwrighter
03-21-2013, 01:06 PM
He's not athletic enough for the speed of the NBA IMO. Comparable to Kenny George.

cubbiefan_est88
03-21-2013, 01:08 PM
Yeah... so someone starts one of these every time Yahoo has an article about a super tall high school or college player. How many have turned out? Here's a hint: this guy isn't even featured in mock drafts....hes a freshman

SMH!
03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
...hes a freshman

Freshmen are allowed to enter NBA drafts.

La11
03-21-2013, 01:24 PM
He has lost a ton of Weight since coming in the start of the season. He has improved throughout the season and looks like he is getting more comfortable to college play. He still has a long way to go but, seeing improvement is the positive thing. He always has a brother Tanveer Bhullar who is also 7'5. If they stay 4 years in College and improve slowly but steady they could make the NBA as a second rounder or undrafted free agent.

La11
03-21-2013, 01:25 PM

No..they are not. List me players who were freshman that jump to the NBA....

Just Kidding

JasonJohnHorn
03-21-2013, 01:36 PM
No..they are not. List me players who were freshman that jump to the NBA....

Just Kidding

Are you serious? A great many players come out of college after their freshman year. Anthony Davis for one. Kyrie Irving... Kevin Durant.... the list is far longer than I care to write.

asandhu23
03-21-2013, 01:42 PM
I posted an article about these guys a loooooong time ago. I really do hope they make it to the nba. first indians in the game. Opens the door for the pretty much untapped indian market.

Hawkeye15
03-21-2013, 01:43 PM
I posted an article about these guys a loooooong time ago. I really do hope they make it to the nba. first indians in the game. Opens the door for the pretty much untapped indian market.

I know nothing of the Indian basketball market. Is it something that will produce talent down the line?

PC
03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
...hes a freshman

But he was born in '92

asandhu23
03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
In Northern India ( where i and these brothers grew up ), basketball is very very popular. People there are pretty tall as well so with enough funding, that region could become a basketball talent mine.

asandhu23
03-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Warriors's part owner Vivek Ranadive talked about basketball in India at Bollywood Night at Oracle. He projects that basketball is going to become the second most popular sport there after cricket.

murphturph
03-21-2013, 01:59 PM
I Played his brother tanveer Bhullar a few months ago, and let me tell you that he is vastly overatted and his team played better without him

Hawkeye15
03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
In Northern India ( where i and these brothers grew up ), basketball is very very popular. People there are pretty tall as well so with enough funding, that region could become a basketball talent mine.

Well, hopefully that market can be tapped, with the right resources going into it.

Jamiecballer
03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
if you are watching the game right now you just got your answer.

did you see how slow his reactions are? ball came off the rim on a missed jumper by the other team and by the time he turned around to anticipate a rebound the ball had already bounced past him and back to the offensive player.

mvb815
03-21-2013, 02:39 PM
if you are watching the game right now you just got your answer.

did you see how slow his reactions are? ball came off the rim on a missed jumper by the other team and by the time he turned around to anticipate a rebound the ball had already bounced past him and back to the offensive player.

yeah this, he looks terrible

MaloDaw9
03-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Gheorge Muresan was funny.

JerseyPalahniuk
03-21-2013, 03:37 PM
I've actually followed him for 3-4 years now. There have been a few pieces highlighting them (his younger brother Tanveer is 7'1''). One on the nytimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/sports/basketball/sim-bhullar-could-be-asias-next-basketball-superstar.html?_r=0

No one had even thought about him being drafted first round so get that out of your minds haha. Realistically, IF he is able to develop a better understanding of the game (very lacking in that area) AND can get himself into much better shape (as mentioned in the yahoo article - he would get winded from only 10 minutes of play), he has a chance to be a role player in the NBA. His ceiling obviously could be very high but that's only if improves what I mentioned at a rapid rate.

Jays Claw
03-21-2013, 04:24 PM
I know both Sim and his brother Tanveer through friends. They both attended the middle school most famously known around the area and are celebrities amongst most folks.

In terms of their on court play, they're both extremely raw products. You never want to say this about anyone but I just don't see them panning out in today's NBA where bigs have to be more versatile and mobile.

La11
03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Are you serious? A great many players come out of college after their freshman year. Anthony Davis for one. Kyrie Irving... Kevin Durant.... the list is far longer than I care to write.

you forgot the "just kidding" in the bottom?
I know there is a bunch of one and done going str8 to NBA

MonroeFAN
03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
He looked awful earlier.

bucketss
03-21-2013, 07:20 PM
i would hate to be that tall and still suck in ball.. now you're just a freak lol

MrfadeawayJB
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
His younger brother has a better chance but they are both a long ways away

ThaDubs
03-21-2013, 09:26 PM
Hahaha no he's not a prospect... I saw a gif of him on sbnation and I laughed my *** off though.

Jamiecballer
03-21-2013, 09:32 PM
poor guy literally ate his way out of a guaranteed ticket to the NBA

MrfadeawayJB
03-21-2013, 09:36 PM
poor guy literally ate his way out of a guaranteed ticket to the NBA

Actually he had lost weight since last year. He still has more to lose though

cubbiefan_est88
03-21-2013, 09:52 PM
...hes a freshman

Meaning he has 3 more years to develop. I wasn't talking eligibility

Raps18-19 Champ
03-21-2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah... so someone starts one of these every time Yahoo has an article about a super tall high school or college player. How many have turned out? Here's a hint: this guy isn't even featured in mock drafts.

There have been many players that were not featured in mock drafts during their freshmen year freshmen but improved their game enough in the later years of their college career to the point where teams consider them (either in the 1st or 2nd round).

Raps18-19 Champ
03-21-2013, 09:56 PM
Not good enough to be anything special in the NBA and probably shouldn't be drafted at any point in his college career. But I wouldn't be surprised if he declares for the draft as a senior and a team picks him up in the 2nd round just because of his height.

LeperMessiah
03-21-2013, 11:11 PM

Word!!!! You'd think they'd have at least one punjabi by now (given how many punjabis america has) But he's Canadian as well <3

But most of our people are more into hockey, for obvious historical reasons.

HouRealCoach
03-22-2013, 12:20 AM
Every year... Sooner or later, someone at his size has to have a serviceable NBA HOF career lol

asandhu23
03-22-2013, 12:52 AM
Word!!!! You'd think they'd have at least one punjabi by now (given how many punjabis america has) But he's Canadian as well <3

But most of our people are more into hockey, for obvious historical reasons.

Hockey is meh. Basketball's taken over. Won't overtake cricket though.

NeverSayNevur
03-22-2013, 01:14 AM

punjab?

asandhu23
03-22-2013, 01:48 AM
punjab?

yes.

sunsfan88
03-22-2013, 05:03 AM
yes.

I'm from Kerala! Heard of it?

sunsfan88
03-22-2013, 05:12 AM
I Played his brother tanveer Bhullar a few months ago, and let me tell you that he is vastly overatted and his team played better without him

Doesn't his younger brother play with Andrew Wiggins?

LeperMessiah
03-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Hockey is meh. Basketball's taken over. Won't overtake cricket though.

Oh no sir it's not :D

Cricket is impossible to take over, it's the second most watched sport in the world.

asandhu23
03-22-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm from Kerala! Heard of it?

yes.

Jamiecballer
03-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Actually he had lost weight since last year. He still has more to lose though

i am aware.

asandhu23
03-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Oh no sir it's not :D

Cricket is impossible to take over, it's the second most watched sport in the world.

Ice hockey, sure. Ground hockey... yeah.

LeperMessiah
03-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Ice hockey, sure. Ground hockey... yeah.
Generations of punjab's greatness surely impacted the youth enough to draw them to ice hockey. My little cousin came from India when he was about 10 years old, in about 4 years he became a hockey all-star. Even the city leagues here (where there are lots of punjabis) there are a lot of noteworthy talent that could make it.

ZHawk1123
03-22-2013, 11:37 AM
I'd love to see him come into the league and be posterized.

ZarleyZalapski
03-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Kenny George would've played in the NBA if he didn't have to amputate his foot.