PDA

View Full Version : Mike D'Antoni

Fired-Up
03-20-2013, 10:56 PM
So the point of playing and coaching in the NBA is to win.

Mike D'Antoni's system doesn't do this.

Losing is bad.

Winning is good.

Why does he get high profile jobs?

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
his resume is actually pretty good..

OceanSpray
03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
I heard he was a really convincing/manipulating individual.

LAKobeBryant
03-20-2013, 10:59 PM
Your smart.

KnicksorBust
03-20-2013, 11:00 PM
Terrible timing for this thread.

still1ballin
03-20-2013, 11:01 PM
wat?

SugeKnight
03-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Your smart.

You're*

Fired-Up
03-20-2013, 11:04 PM
It seems like he HAS to run his system through a point guard. And he's allergic to big men or iso small forwards.

Last time I checked Point Guards don't lead teams to championships.

LAKobeBryant
You're*

wat?

You forgot to correct that ^

LAKobeBryant
double posted.

oak2455
03-20-2013, 11:10 PM
his house

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOSJjyx83kHmMiO542U9Upq7PEteH_F XKW1uPK4dOxmR4RQW_x

Purple_n_Gold
03-21-2013, 12:38 AM
No clue. Although I believe when he finishes screwing this job he won't be a head coach for an NBA team for a long time. Those successful years in Phoenix are getting further and further behind him and the recent disaster seasons are still going strong. Bottom line IMO is if you can't figure how to use two skilled 7footers at the same time which any other coach/team in the league would love to have you aren't that smart. He would rather trade a 7' for shooters to accommodate his system which is moronic. His rotations suck, he is arrogant for no reason because he has never won anything. I'm getting riled up just writing about this dummy. Being a Lakers fan forever we haven't made many wrong decisions. Hiring him over Phil is the worst decision I have seen the Lakers FO make.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-21-2013, 12:40 AM
No clue. Although I believe when he finishes screwing this job he won't be a head coach for an NBA team for a long time. Those successful years in Phoenix are getting further and further behind him and the recent disaster seasons are still going strong. Bottom line IMO is if you can't figure how to use two skilled 7footers at the same time which any other coach/team in the league would love to have you aren't that smart. He would rather trade a 7' for shooters to accommodate his system which is moronic. His rotations suck, he is arrogant for no reason because he has never won anything. I'm getting riled up just writing about this dummy. Being a Lakers fan forever we haven't made many wrong decisions. Hiring him over Phil is the worst decision I have seen the Lakers FO make.
One of them, that's for sure.

JasonJohnHorn
03-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Buss thought his style was 'entertaining'. That is essentially what he said after hiring him. He wanted a highlight reel akin to the Showtime Lakers. It has obviously proved to be a horrid decision even if the team has rebounded slightly as of late. Let's be honest, we all know that Pau is a HOF player who still has something to contribute. If a coach can get a guy as talented as Pau involved, something is wrong. Not to mention how he has alienated Dwight as well by limiting his offense. Even if the Lakers do make the playoffs, this move is going to be seen as one of the worst decisions the Lakers could have made.

One might also want to note that Mitch K. has done a horrid job since offseason ended. When he knew he had injuries in the front court, he failed to contact players like Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen, both who have been picked up by contenders and even if they aren't in the regular rotation are still getting minutes. And he when Blake and Nash were down with injury he failed to get a quality back-up PG.

Avenged
03-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Well this is random.

NoahH
03-21-2013, 03:08 AM
You're*

I was waiting for this :clap:

RollingWave
03-21-2013, 06:38 AM
he seem to be a coach that can only run 1 system, not very adaptive, and unfortunately that 1 system isn't really the best fit for the current set of players on the Lakers.

but really, he's a small part of the grander problem, the Lakers have a lot of old guys that can't defend the perimeter, World Peace lost a step this year and it's devastating especially when combined with a less than healthy Howard.

Let's just point out that the biggest problem with the Laker is not the coach, it's that their guards cough up most of their offensive value back defensively especially when not supported by strong enough front courts. They were hoping the combination of MWP and DH12 would be enough, but one's getting old and the other's playing mostly hurt. and their depth on the bench past Jamison is horrific.

Raidaz4Life
03-21-2013, 06:54 AM
he seem to be a coach that can only run 1 system, not very adaptive, and unfortunately that 1 system isn't really the best fit for the current set of players on the Lakers.

but really, he's a small part of the grander problem, the Lakers have a lot of old guys that can't defend the perimeter, World Peace lost a step this year and it's devastating especially when combined with a less than healthy Howard.

Let's just point out that the biggest problem with the Laker is not the coach, it's that their guards cough up most of their offensive value back defensively especially when not supported by strong enough front courts. They were hoping the combination of MWP and DH12 would be enough, but one's getting old and the other's playing mostly hurt. and their depth on the bench past Jamison is horrific.

Bingo, its refreshing to see people who can actually think critically and don't parrot the same incorrect crap over and over.

D'Antoni is what he is, a system coach. Always has and always will be. The Lakers brought him in to run a system that didn't exactly fit their team without getting him additional players to fit his team.

hornetsfansydne
03-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Buss thought his style was 'entertaining'. That is essentially what he said after hiring him. He wanted a highlight reel akin to the Showtime Lakers. It has obviously proved to be a horrid decision even if the team has rebounded slightly as of late. Let's be honest, we all know that Pau is a HOF player who still has something to contribute. If a coach can get a guy as talented as Pau involved, something is wrong. Not to mention how he has alienated Dwight as well by limiting his offense. Even if the Lakers do make the playoffs, this move is going to be seen as one of the worst decisions the Lakers could have made.

One might also want to note that Mitch K. has done a horrid job since offseason ended. When he knew he had injuries in the front court, he failed to contact players like Kenyon Martin and Chris Andersen, both who have been picked up by contenders and even if they aren't in the regular rotation are still getting minutes. And he when Blake and Nash were down with injury he failed to get a quality back-up PG.

It's not really Kupchak's fault when the Lakers owners didn't want to add to their luxury tax bill that is already ridiculous. That is why he couldn't/didn't go after Andersen, Martin and a quality back-up PG

bholly
03-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Worth noting that they're 19-8 (.704) since late Jan.

I'm not a huge fan of his coaching (his system or his haphazard implementation of and insistence upon it), and their schedule hasn't exactly been tough, but between the injuries and age and everything, I think there's some credit due for the apparent fact that he's turned them around pretty significantly - even if not enough, yet.

He115ing
03-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Aren't the Lakers winning right now?

On a separate note: Dantoni sucks and he will never lead a team to a championship.

Fired-Up
03-21-2013, 10:46 AM
The system doesn't work though. So that equals fail.

Running your system through ball dominant point guards, alienating big men, and a total disregard for perimeter defense is bad. That's a dumb system that doesn't win Championships.

Weezy
03-21-2013, 10:49 AM
He's one of the most overrated coaches in the past 10 years IMO.

Swashcuff
03-21-2013, 10:55 AM
It seems like he HAS to run his system through a point guard. And he's allergic to big men or iso small forwards.

Last time I checked Point Guards don't lead teams to championships.

Chauncey Billups, Isiah Thomas, Walt Frazier, Dennis Johnson etc all say HI!

Swashcuff
03-21-2013, 10:57 AM
The system doesn't work though. So that equals fail.

Running your system through ball dominant point guards, alienating big men, and a total disregard for perimeter defense is bad. That's a dumb system that doesn't win Championships.

Amar'e had the best years of his career under D'Antoni. What idiocy is this?

Fired-Up
03-21-2013, 01:18 PM

How many Point Guards have won Finals MVP in the last 20 years? Just one time in 2007.

Point Guards don't win rings.

Swashcuff
03-21-2013, 01:34 PM
How many Point Guards have won Finals MVP in the last 20 years? Just one time in 2007.

Brush up on your history brother. Its 3.

Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups and in 06 Wade played the PG for the Heat.

Swashcuff
03-21-2013, 01:39 PM

How many SFs have Finals MVPs in the last 20 years?

By your idiotic reasoning SFs don't win rings either.

Fired-Up
03-21-2013, 04:31 PM
How many SFs have Finals MVPs in the last 20 years?

By your idiotic reasoning SFs don't win rings either.

People who score the ball win rings. Not guys who bring the ball up the court and dribble it around 8000 times a possession.

Fired-Up
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Brush up on your history brother. Its 3.

Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups and in 06 Wade played the PG for the Heat.

Wade was listed as PG once in his career. It was his rookie year. Also I'd make the case that neither of these 3 players were the most important players on their team that season.

I don't believe in this D'Antoni point guard mess.

JasonJohnHorn
03-21-2013, 06:31 PM

I think you could add Jordan to that list. He was essentially a point guard, even if everybody insists on referring to him as a SG.

A similar argument could be made for LBJ.

And Kidd was bringing the ball up for Dallas when they won. He wasn't the best player on the team, but he was handing the ball out.

Jesse2272
03-21-2013, 07:25 PM
his house

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOSJjyx83kHmMiO542U9Upq7PEteH_F XKW1uPK4dOxmR4RQW_x

I just spit up my beer

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-21-2013, 09:08 PM
The 'Stache.

Fired-Up
03-21-2013, 09:23 PM
I think you could add Jordan to that list. He was essentially a point guard, even if everybody insists on referring to him as a SG.

A similar argument could be made for LBJ.

And Kidd was bringing the ball up for Dallas when they won. He wasn't the best player on the team, but he was handing the ball out.

Are you ****ing kidding me? MJ was moved to PG for part of 1989 by Doug Collins. That's when and why he had 7 straight triple doubles and went off for 8 assists that season.

They also lost half of their games when Jordan was moved to the point. MJ was a pure shooting guard if there ever was.

Swashcuff
03-21-2013, 10:21 PM
People who score the ball win rings. Not guys who bring the ball up the court and dribble it around 8000 times a possession.

The team who is currently on a 24 game winning streak and happen to be the defending champions beg to defer with this idiotic reasoning.

You realize you're failing to answer the question right? Are you scared to? That it would defeat your purposed? I bet you still stay away from answering the question like a true coward.

Wade was listed as PG once in his career. It was his rookie year. Also I'd make the case that neither of these 3 players were the most important players on their team that season.

I don't believe in this D'Antoni point guard mess.

Other players not important to their team? :laugh2:

How foolish are you being right now. You were the one who brought up the discussion about FMVPs now you're saying those players aren't important to their teams. :laugh2:

As for you reasoning of Wade. As yourself (better yet use google as you have recently learned to do to find basketball reference) what's the responsibilities of a PG.

Fired-Up
03-21-2013, 10:51 PM
I'd argue Duncan was the more important player than Parker in 2007. I'd argue Shaq was more important than Wade in 2006.

Call me basketball illiterate. I'm just not a fan of Point Guard dominated systems. I'm not.

And why is Wade even in this discussion? He's not a PG.

Swashcuff
03-21-2013, 11:03 PM
I'd argue Duncan was the more important player than Parker in 2007. I'd argue Shaq was more important than Wade in 2006.

Call me basketball illiterate. I'm just not a fan of Point Guard dominated systems. I'm not.

And why is Wade even in this discussion? He's not a PG.

I don't care about what you're a fan of. Matter of a fact no one cares what you're a fan on, what we care about is what is.

You're still yet to answer. How many SF lead teams have won NBA championships in the last 20 years?

No one really cares what kind of system you're a fan of but with the right PG and the right supporting cast a PG dominated system can become a dynasty, ask Magic Johnson.

Why are we talking about Wade because that's the role he played for the Heat in their championship season.

Point guard dominated systems are the best offenses (http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=6205) in the history of the game.

The problem with D'Antoni is no is offensive system, his offensive systems are some of the best of all time, his problem is his D or the fact that he really doesn't put much if any emphasis on that end of the floor. His offense is GREAT.

Fired-Up
03-21-2013, 11:08 PM
I don't care about what you're a fan of. Matter of a fact no one cares what you're a fan on, what we care about is what is.

You're still yet to answer. How many SF lead teams have won NBA championships in the last 20 years?

No one really cares what kind of system you're a fan of but with the right PG and the right supporting cast a PG dominated system can become a dynasty, ask Magic Johnson.

Why are we talking about Wade because that's the role he played for the Heat in their championship season.

Point guard dominated systems are the best offenses (http://www.basketball-reference.com/blog/?p=6205) in the history of the game.

The problem with D'Antoni is no is offensive system, his offensive systems are some of the best of all time, his problem is his D or the fact that he really doesn't put much if any emphasis on that end of the floor. His offense is GREAT.

Point guard dominated systems basically don't win in the NBA. Magic is sort of an exception being that's he's like 6'9"

There has been a Bird, Chamberlain, Jabaar, Russell, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan and probably LeBron dynasty soon.

That's 5 bigs, 4 wings and 1 point guard driven dynasty.

Swashcuff
03-21-2013, 11:29 PM
Point guard dominated systems basically don't win in the NBA. Magic is sort of an exception being that's he's like 6'9"

There has been a Bird, Chamberlain, Jabaar, Russell, Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan and probably LeBron dynasty soon.

That's 5 bigs, 4 wings and 1 point guard driven dynasty.

Since you're having fun googling continue to do so. Look up the 1970/3 New York Knicks, the 1979 Seattle Supersonics (two PGs for them that year), the 89/90 Pistons etc.

They were all lead by point guards as their best and most valuable players.

What dynasty did Kobe lead? If he lead a dynasty then so did Isiah. What dynasty did Chamberlain drive? You clearly have no clue what you're talking about. Jerry West lead a greater "dynasty" than Wilt and he played the PG for all but one season of his NBA career. Jabbar didn't win his 1st title until he teamed with Oscar (you know a dominant PG) and won his rest of titles with Magic (one of the other guys on your "dynasty" list). The same Magic who won 3 of those 5 FMVPs with James Worthy winning 1 and Kareem winning the other.

SOOOOOOO what were you saying about dynasties? Bird lead his, Russell lead his, Magic lead his, Duncan lead his, Shaq lead his and Jordan lead his. Two wings, three bigs and one PG. Basic common sense. There is one PG, two wings and two big positions. Law of mathematics.

Kashmir13579
03-21-2013, 11:38 PM
right..