PDA

View Full Version : Why is that when a team is up big in the 4th quarter....

Fired-Up
03-20-2013, 10:35 PM
The wings completely ignore the big men and don't even allow them to touch the ball. Even if they are in position to score an easy bucket.

I see this all the time in the NBA. Teams are willing to go inside to a skilled big for a high percentage shot if the game is close. However, whenever a team is up big late in the 4th quarter all I see is wings chucking long jumpers. Usually they clang off the rim and it's just boring as hell to watch this stuff.

I decided to test out my Theory on ESPN watching the Nets game. Brook Lopez was simply unstoppable tonight. They couldn't guard him. He was on fire. Yet I thought to myself he won't touch the ball for the last 5 minutes, let alone have his teammates look for him because the Nets were up big. He didn't. Except for a putback slam. Shocker.

I have no desire to watch some random guy jack shots because their team is up big.

JasonJohnHorn
03-20-2013, 10:41 PM
I think at that point the guys who bring the ball up or get the ball first when it's being moved around just figure: We're up... I might as well try to get mine.

That, and usually they pull the starters up... that's when you see the ball hogs go into action, when the game is un-winnable or un-loseable.

LAKobeBryant
03-20-2013, 10:51 PM
All the coaches suck except for like 3, George, Pop, and Doc. It's the coaches fault for not doing changes during the game or adjusting.

Fired-Up
03-20-2013, 10:54 PM
All the coaches suck except for like 3, George, Pop, and Doc. It's the coaches fault for not doing changes during the game or adjusting.

The coaches care about winning. When the game is hand I think they could care less what's going on.

It's those frickin idiots like Joe Johnson who put on an absolute bore-fest during the 4th quarter that drives me crazy with their outrageous shot selection.

kdspurman
03-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Coaching, poise, pace, composure, etc... Teams tend to go away from what works at times, getting to complacent, taking bad shots, and that's often how you see other teams come back.