PDA

View Full Version : Can the Nuggets win the West?

VicTheWizard
03-19-2013, 10:56 PM
So what do you guys think, can they make it to the Finals? And which if the top 3 seeds do they matchup best with?

HouRealCoach
03-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Maybe in a couple of years but now they aren't going past the 2nd round

JEDean89
03-19-2013, 11:01 PM
So what do you guys think, can they make it to the Finals? And which if the top 3 seeds do they matchup best with?

lac obviously. okc is a matchup problem for Denv and we haven't really played SAS much this year.

Riodagoat
03-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Love their team and pace of play, but they are a second round team at best.
You will always needs THAT one guy to put you over the top. I dont think Lawson is quite there yet.

setman2000
03-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Nuggets are 3-1 against OKC, Memphis and Lakers. 2-1 against Clippers and 1-1 against Spurs (with 2 more to play). 30-3 at home. They're for real and can absolutely compete for the West this year.

ManRam
03-19-2013, 11:15 PM
I think they CAN.

I don't think they will, but they certainly can.

mzgrizz
03-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Oh they certainly can, but as I've learned, there's the regular season, and then there's the playoffs. If they can hold HCA, they just might do it.

DallasTrilla23
03-20-2013, 12:29 AM
I don't think so.

I think they can make it to the western conference finals tho.

Guppyfighter
03-20-2013, 12:30 AM
I don't think so.

I think they can make it to the western conference finals tho.

I agree with this.

Dade County
03-20-2013, 12:44 AM
No

I see them losing in the 1st round, if they can't get a top 3 seed.

I would love if a healthy Howard & Josh Smith would sign with this team.

looka09
03-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Whats the best home score in history ?

Jarvo
03-20-2013, 12:50 AM
They can beat OKC and LAC in a 7 game series they have nice starters and deep off the bench, But we'll have to just wait and see.

LAKobeBryant
03-20-2013, 12:55 AM
What Charles Barkley said, Nuggets have fire power to get through 2 rounds of upset but don't see them beating western finals to get into the finals. But LA is nuggets kryptonite in the playoffs despite them winning the season series.

IgglesFanInCO
03-20-2013, 12:57 AM
We've had Memphis' number this season and match up great with them considering the teams that really hurt us are teams great at 3pt shooting, they are who I would most want to see in the first round unless we can get the 3rd seed

they CAN beat any team in the west, and any team CAN beat them, they are a darkhorse who is hard to predict, but I think they have almost as much of a shot to make it out of the west as any other team

and having the best record against WC playoff teams sure gives them some hope, 18-6

Supreme LA
I think they have a better chance than my Lakers this year, and since I'm hopeful of my team, I would definitely think the Nuggets certainly have a shot if Faried can flat out beast on everybody like he has been latley.

Guppyfighter
What Charles Barkley said, Nuggets have fire power to get through 2 rounds of upset but don't see them beating western finals to get into the finals. But LA is nuggets kryptonite in the playoffs despite them winning the season series.

I forgot things stay the same in sports and the future is dictated on past seasons with different players and coaches.

broncofangene
03-20-2013, 12:59 AM
No I don't think so. Come playoff time superstars will get every call their way. Plus George Karl is a playoff disaster

lostmymind
03-20-2013, 01:05 AM
WCF at best

LAKobeBryant
03-20-2013, 01:11 AM
I forgot things stay the same in sports and the future is dictated on past seasons with different players and coaches.

you getting too carried away, i didnt even say who would win in a series and your defensive already.

chi-townlove1
03-20-2013, 01:11 AM
I wasn't quoted on here because I don't post enough....but at the beginning of the season I picked the nuggets to be represent the west in the finals. My pick still stands.

LOOTERX9
03-20-2013, 01:14 AM
if they trade for melo somehow they could...lol

Jarvo
03-20-2013, 01:43 AM

Trading Melo away was the best thing they did because they're better now.

houstonfan
03-20-2013, 01:43 AM

They are better than the Knicks who have Melo....

TheNumber37
03-20-2013, 01:48 AM
No.
For the Simple fact that they can't beat the Spurs or Thunder in 4 of 7 games.

Guppyfighter
03-20-2013, 02:35 AM
you getting too carried away, i didnt even say who would win in a series and your defensive already.

It's pretty obvious as a Laker fan you were saying the Lakers would beat them in a playoff series (totally irrelevant) but I am not being defensive. I am a Warrior fan and I ****ing hate the Nuggets.

03-20-2013, 03:35 AM
No.
For the Simple fact that they can't beat the Spurs or Thunder in 4 of 7 games.

hmmm, well nuggets went to 7 games last year against okc in a very very very close series.

But this season they are much improved because they have a young developing core.

Now in the season after their 1st round exit, they're playing better basketball, have the strongest win % against all west conf playoffs team, tied best home court record (btw, they have the tie breaker over clippers, okc and memphis), and if they get 4-3 seed in the wcf they are very dangerous.

I think they could beat okc or spurs in a 7 game series, not saying they definitely will, but they CAN beat those teams.

Guppyfighter
03-20-2013, 03:40 AM
hmmm, well nuggets went to 7 games last year against okc in a very very very close series.

But this season they are much improved because they have a young developing core.

Now in the season after their 1st round exit, they're playing better basketball, have the strongest win % against all west conf playoffs team, tied best home court record (btw, they have the tie breaker over clippers, okc and memphis), and if they get 4-3 seed in the wcf they are very dangerous.

I think they could beat okc or spurs in a 7 game series, not saying they definitely will, but they CAN beat those teams.

Two years ago, dude.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-20-2013, 03:43 AM

Nuggets lost to the Lakers in round one last year?

tp13baby
03-20-2013, 03:54 AM
No

Gross. Especially Josh Smith. I don't want him in a Nuggets uniform.

03-20-2013, 04:38 AM
ahhhh shiiiii, sorry boyz my bad, i forgot it was LA we took to 7 not okc. It was a very close series though from my terrible memory

amos1er
03-20-2013, 05:12 AM
I think the west is wide open this year. They have a shot.

Bravo95
03-20-2013, 05:45 AM
Still think the healthy Spurs/Thunder are on another tier, but I could see Denver pushing it to 6-7 games in the WCSF.

rockbottom2010
03-20-2013, 06:34 AM
its hard to say at the moment...they are only 5 games back for top spot
the next 10 games
sixers
kings
hornets
spurs
nets
jazz
mavericks
rockets
spurs
mavericks

if they can beat the spurs in both of those games...they have a legitmate shot at top seed

LeperMessiah
03-20-2013, 06:57 AM

Much different team since melo and AI days.

LeperMessiah
03-20-2013, 07:36 AM
I can see this team competing.

Rentzias
03-20-2013, 09:16 AM
No

Keep these cats off the Nugs.

D-Leethal
03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
They can beat Golden State and Houston but I don't think I'd favor them over anyone else out West in a playoff series.

NYJ - NYY
03-20-2013, 09:34 AM
nuggets are my western conference team...knicks till i die but nuggets are no joke

Blitzbolt
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
The Grizzlies and Denver are pretty even match up wise(all the 4 games where close)But the Grizzlies are 1 and 12 in Denver over the last 13 games played there.

ManRam
03-20-2013, 11:28 AM
I think the not-having-a-star thing is overrated.

Denver's best 5 man unit, and the unit they close games out with, is really solid. It's not quite as good as the elite team's (Mia, Indy, SAS and OKC), but it's very productive. They close out games well. In fact, they're top 5 in the NBA in both 4th quarter scoring and 4th quarter margin.

I wouldn't favor them against OKC or SAS, but I would against the other 5 WC team...and any team in the East besides Miami and maybe Indy.

And for the FT thing, stars get a lot of foul calls because they're the ones with the ball in their hands the most and are often the most aggressive. Denver might not have a "star", but they're a tremendous team at drawing fouls. They stay aggressive for 48 minutes, and that again bodes well in the 4th. Only the Lakers (Dwight) and OKC (the two best foul-drawers in the NBA) draw more fouls than them. They'll be fine.

JordansBulls
03-20-2013, 12:13 PM
They are the type of team that would ruin a good finals by upsetting some teams that have legit chance to win it all. example Knicks in 1999 ruined a good finals upsetting Miami and Indiana as both of those teams would have gave SA a run for there money. Hell NJ in 2004 nearly ruined a good finals by nearly beating Detroit.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Nope. It's going to be the Thunder or Lakers.

Go_NUGGETS
03-20-2013, 12:46 PM
They are the type of team that would ruin a good finals by upsetting some teams that have legit chance to win it all. example Knicks in 1999 ruined a good finals upsetting Miami and Indiana as both of those teams would have gave SA a run for there money. Hell NJ in 2004 nearly ruined a good finals by nearly beating Detroit.

Huh? Your posts sound like a nuggets hater.

MikefromMars
03-20-2013, 01:20 PM
I think they can get pretty far. OKC and SA can run with them though. I don't think it's out of the question, but I wouldn't label them the favorites.

THE GIPPER
03-20-2013, 01:46 PM
I sure hope so but as a Nuggets fan I'm skeptical.

Im not worried about Denver not having a "go-to-guy" and I feel much more confident about Denver on the road/defensively than I have in years past, but in the playoffs superstars get calls.

Either way Denver will be a very tough out especially if we get HCA.

TrueFan420
03-20-2013, 07:02 PM

Denver's best 5 man unit, and the unit they close games out with, is really solid. It's not quite as good as the elite team's (Mia, Indy, SAS and OKC), but it's very productive. They close out games well. In fact, they're top 5 in the NBA in both 4th quarter scoring and 4th quarter margin.

I wouldn't favor them against OKC or SAS, but I would against the other 5 WC team...and any team in the East besides Miami and maybe Indy.

And for the FT thing, stars get a lot of foul calls because they're the ones with the ball in their hands the most and are often the most aggressive. Denver might not have a "star", but they're a tremendous team at drawing fouls. They stay aggressive for 48 minutes, and that again bodes well in the 4th. Only the Lakers (Dwight) and OKC (the two best foul-drawers in the NBA) draw more fouls than them. They'll be fine.

indy is not elite... their more like the nuggs of the east than they are elite.

TrueFan420
03-20-2013, 07:05 PM
as far as nuggs chance i think they can take anyone to 7 games. their prob will be who takes and makes the last shot. if they find that player their good.

i know some will fire back they have many that can take and make it but id argue that means they dont really have one. id be inclined to say its got to be lawson or galo but they'll need to figure it out soon if they havent already.

Guppyfighter
03-20-2013, 07:10 PM
as far as nuggs chance i think they can take anyone to 7 games. their prob will be who takes and makes the last shot. if they find that player their good.

i know some will fire back they have many that can take and make it but id argue that means they dont really have one. id be inclined to say its got to be lawson or galo but they'll need to figure it out soon if they havent already.

Horrible analysis.

03-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24

1st tier teams

mia
sas
okc

2nd tier teams
den
lac
mem

3rd tier teams

ind
nyk
brk
gld

sorry, but i don't think you can say indiana is an elite team

Guppyfighter
03-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Grouping Indy with the Knicks and Nets is disrespectful.

THE GIPPER
03-20-2013, 08:26 PM

Lol Indy? Denver is miles better than Indy. Indy isnt an elite team either.

barreleffact
03-20-2013, 09:55 PM
No! They have a losing rooad record. Considering their seed, they will be away far more than home...

xxplayerxx23
03-20-2013, 09:56 PM
I think they CAN.

I don't think they will, but they certainly can.

This.

KnicksorBust
03-20-2013, 10:45 PM
No and neither can the Grizz. Its SAS-OKC-LAC-LAL.

kblo247
03-20-2013, 11:05 PM
No. They are a better RS team without Melo and JR. They are a better playoff team with JR and Melo

tp13baby
03-20-2013, 11:43 PM
No and neither can the Grizz. Its SAS-OKC-LAC-LAL.

It would take the Lakers 12 games to beat Denver or the Griz 4 times. Nuggets fan here, LAL aren't scary. 3-1 against the Lake show and their one win they were like 55 percent from 3 with taking 20 shots I think. it was ridiculous.
SAS
OKC
MIA are the biggest contenders.

LAC
MEM
DEN
INDY All the second tier that can get it done.

Clippersfan86
03-20-2013, 11:52 PM
If they can somehow move into the 2 seed (not impossible with how dominant they are lately) than that means they have HCA until the WCF and would no doubt have a great shot at the WCF or finals at that point due to how incredible they are at home. If they finish 4th or lower though to where at best they have HCA for 1 round, maybe not at all... then I don't see them getting passed round 1 or 2. Although in the west that's not saying much because even to get to the 2nd round is a big achievement in the cutthroat conference.

03-21-2013, 02:27 AM
Grouping Indy with the Knicks and Nets is disrespectful.

Indiana 42 26
New York 40 26
Brooklyn 40 28

really????

Guppyfighter
03-21-2013, 02:36 AM
Indiana 42 26
New York 40 26
Brooklyn 40 28

really????

SRS and Point Differential

All records were not made equally.

03-21-2013, 03:17 AM
thats a cop out. Indiana are good, but not top tier 2 (denver, memphis, clippers). they play a weaker competition in the east, and yet they are still a bit behind these tier 2 teams in the standings. Would you suggest that indiana is a tier 3 team team and the knicks/nets are tier 4 teams?

If so, what teams do you believe belongs with indiana in the list of tier 3 teams?

Guppyfighter
03-21-2013, 03:29 AM
thats a cop out. Indiana are good, but not top tier 2 (denver, memphis, clippers). they play a weaker competition in the east, and yet they are still a bit behind these tier 2 teams in the standings. Would you suggest that indiana is a tier 3 team team and the knicks/nets are tier 4 teams?

If so, what teams do you believe belongs with indiana in the list of tier 3 teams?

First Tier:
Heat
Spurs
Thunder

Second Tier:
Clippers
Nuggets
Grizzlies

Third Tier
Pacers
Rockets
Warriors

Fourth Tier
Nets
Knicks
Celtics

Any complaint with that?

5ass
03-21-2013, 03:32 AM
First Tier:
Heat
Spurs
Thunder

Second Tier:
Clippers
Nuggets
Grizzlies

Third Tier
Pacers
Rockets
Warriors

Fourth Tier
Nets
Knicks
Celtics

Any complaint with that?
I'd put the lakers and celts instead of the rockets in the 3rd tier. I would put them in the second but the celts have to face miami and the lakers dont know what the **** they're doing.

03-21-2013, 03:46 AM
you complained about me putting the knicks/nets in the same group as the pacers, and in response you thought it made more sense to put them in the same tier as the celtics.

comparison

New York 3rd 40 26
Brooklyn 4th 40 28
celtics 7th 36 31

or

Pacers 2nd 42-26
knicks 3rd 40-26
brooklyn 4th 40-28

that doesnt really add up.

3rd tier:
pacers
golden state
knicks
nets

IMO..

Guppyfighter
03-21-2013, 03:54 AM
Celtics are closer to the Nets and Knicks than the Knicks and Nets are to the Pacers.

03-21-2013, 05:04 AM
Celtics are closer to the Nets and Knicks than the Knicks and Nets are to the Pacers.

haha, guppy fighter, you've invented yourself quite a nice tounge twister there.

yeeehh ur rite pacers probs shuld be rated a lil higher than knicks nets

JasonJohnHorn
03-21-2013, 09:52 PM
I think if they can manage to win 12 games in the post season that they will win the West for sure.

DallasTrilla23
03-22-2013, 02:02 AM
I think if they can manage to win 12 games in the post season that they will win the West for sure.

Bro, I would go as far as to say that if they can manage to win those 12 games, they would be 4 games away from an NBA title

Game_Over
03-22-2013, 02:10 AM
No we can't win it all or the west lol, quit talking about the Nuggets I want us to keep flying under the radar!!!

DenButsu
03-22-2013, 05:01 AM
It's highly unlikely still. But they've built a season on defying expectations, and the Thunder have started showing some vulnerabilities lately. Stranger things have happened.

sunsfan88
03-22-2013, 05:20 AM
The Nuggets will go as far in the West as the Pacers go in the East.

sep11ie
03-22-2013, 08:08 AM
No way, Melo is an inefficient chucker.

RLundi
03-22-2013, 10:18 AM
They can compete with anyone. I don't think they'll win the West but it wouldn't shock me to see them in the Finals at all.

justinnum1
03-22-2013, 10:42 AM
That would be cool

mightybosstone
03-22-2013, 11:10 AM
The Thunder are still the favorites, because they have the most talent on paper and are the reigning Western Conference champs, but the West is so insanely deep that I could see any of the top five teams feasibly winning the conference. Denver is definitely the least likely team, but if they could somehow upset the Spurs in the second round, I could see them giving OKC or Memphis a run for their money in the conference finals.

Bravo95
03-22-2013, 11:15 AM
First Tier:
Heat
Spurs
Thunder

Second Tier:
Clippers
Nuggets
Grizzlies

Third Tier
Pacers
Rockets
Warriors

Fourth Tier
Nets
Knicks
Celtics

Any complaint with that?
1: OKC, SAS, MIA
2: LAC, DEN, MEM, IND, HOU, LAL, NYK
3: GSW, BRK, ATL, CHI

Celtics are off to the side somewhere because nothing they do would surprise me.

3iverson3
03-24-2013, 04:21 AM
@Bravo95...

no wayshould Houston and LA be in the top 2. GSW are better than both (if Lakers don't get it together). You can make a case for NYK to be in that 3rd group too and I think they should.

Guppyfighter
03-24-2013, 04:26 AM
@Bravo95...

no wayshould Houston and LA be in the top 2. GSW are better than both (if Lakers don't get it together). You can make a case for NYK to be in that 3rd group too and I think they should.

Houston is better than us. The Warriors that is

torocan
03-24-2013, 08:42 AM
@Bravo95...

Houston has been the better team than GSW for some time now. Aside from beating GSW 3-1 in the series, they're superior offensively, and since the all star break not that far behind defensively.

This is aside from higher point differentials and a better win/loss record since the all star break.

Since the all star break... GSW 10-9, Houston 9-5.

Let's also not forget that Harden joined the Rockets 2 days before the start of the regular season, did Not have a training camp with the Rockets, Lin was coming off knee surgery, they lost their Head Coach for 4 weeks, and they had 13 new players on the Roster at the beginning of the season.

And GSW is leading Houston by 1 game right now in spite of all that.

I don't think it's far fetched to argue that Houston is either better or at least as good as GSW.

Mell413
03-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't pick them as the favorites. But I am starting to think ty Lawson could be that guy. In one of the other nuggets threads I wasn't a huge believer but I'm starting to come around on them.

knicks=love
03-24-2013, 11:25 AM
they'll be the underdogs of the west this year. i absolutely love how that team flows together.

TyrionLannister
03-24-2013, 11:53 AM
I think they can take out OKC in a 7-game series.

Not so sure about Miami or San Antonio, but it's possible.

therealwd27
03-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Bro, I would go as far as to say that if they can manage to win those 12 games, they would be 4 games away from an NBA title

THIS, heck I'd place a nice wager on this. Anyone want in?

Mudvayne91
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
I wouldn't say it's impossible, but not plausible. Assuming every seed stays the same (or at least 1-3), I do think they can make it past the second round. OKC is quality, but the Nuggets have done well against them and OKC doesn't appear to be nearly as potent as the use to be. Or perhaps it's just Iguadola's D has really been a factor. This isn't to say I'm confident they'd beat OKC, but I definitely wouldn't be shocked. To beat them and SA though, that'll be rather rough.

With all that said, if Lawson and Chandler aren't healthy, we got no shot.

mdm692
03-24-2013, 01:10 PM
I'd put the lakers and celts instead of the rockets in the 3rd tier. I would put them in the second but the celts have to face miami and the lakers dont know what the **** they're doing.

:laugh:. They're lucky to get consideration for the 4th tier.

mdm692
03-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Nuggets vs Pacers finals anybody???

Baller1
03-24-2013, 01:30 PM
No.

Clippersfan86
03-26-2013, 12:32 AM
Pretty much what I said. Unbeatable at home, very mediocre on the road. They had the streak tonight ended vs a Hornets team missing two of it's 3 best players and lost by 24 to a lotto team. Even a full strength Hornets team shouldn't be able to knock a team this hyped recently as a title threat.

So as I said if the Nuggets can somehow go back on a huge win streak to end the year and snag 2 or 3 seed to get HCA for the first two rounds at least yes they can go very far. Without HCA though they are a 1st round exit probably.

Clippersfan86
03-26-2013, 01:43 AM
Course it's a team like the Nuggets so it will get swept under the rug without discussion. Yet when it's a high profile team people would be talking about this loss, calling them pretenders, saying they got exposed LOL. Pretty funny stuff. Just like the NBA was talking about the Nuggets 15 game win streak and acting like an even bigger one in December didn't happen outside of this Heat one.

Chronz
03-26-2013, 02:24 AM
@Bravo95...

GS better than Houston?

Houston is knocking on that door of that tier below SAS/OKC.

3iverson3
03-26-2013, 02:54 AM
Idk I just don't think Houston has what it takes to make any splash in the playoffs.

3iverson3
03-26-2013, 02:55 AM
Course it's a team like the Nuggets so it will get swept under the rug without discussion. Yet when it's a high profile team people would be talking about this loss, calling them pretenders, saying they got exposed LOL. Pretty funny stuff. Just like the NBA was talking about the Nuggets 15 game win streak and acting like an even bigger one in December didn't happen outside of this Heat one.

Whhaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!?! I am pretty sure it's the opposite on everything you said.

3iverson3
03-26-2013, 03:02 AM
Pretty much what I said. Unbeatable at home, very mediocre on the road. They had the streak tonight ended vs a Hornets team missing two of it's 3 best players and lost by 24 to a lotto team. Even a full strength Hornets team shouldn't be able to knock a team this hyped recently as a title threat.

So as I said if the Nuggets can somehow go back on a huge win streak to end the year and snag 2 or 3 seed to get HCA for the first two rounds at least yes they can go very far. Without HCA though they are a 1st round exit probably.

A young team with majority of their first 30 games on the road with a new player. Their road record was mediocre cause of that. Hornets have beaten couple teams now but the streak has to end sometime. I'd say their road record is a little skewed. We have proven that we can beat any team in the west. Just have to see how they play come playoff time.

monty77
03-26-2013, 08:29 AM
If they belonged to East Conference, there would be no doubt they would be aspirant to reach the conference finals, but taking into account they play in West, it's unlike they get it because there are a lot of great teams, although neither of them have the same level than Miami Heat.

The average level is very high in West as Oklahoma has two superstars playing together in the same team; Spurs are playing their best basketball for last years; Lakers are in ascending progression; Clippers and Grizzlies are in the same level than Nuggets.

For those reasons it's difficult that Nuggets win the West but isn't impossible if they play together until the end like Detroit Pistons made the year they won Championship without any star players.

This depth back-up is their main strong point and if they want to take advantage of it they will have to keep motivated most of their players and they also need that Iguodala and Gallinari step forward as players in hot moments of the game.

76erEaglePhils
03-26-2013, 11:41 AM
The nuggets can wow, and impress you during the regular season but when the playoffs hit they get knocked out in the 1st round every year. The nuggets are nothing more than regular season hype nothing more that's when they do all their damage.

3iverson3
03-26-2013, 03:27 PM
The nuggets can wow, and impress you during the regular season but when the playoffs hit they get knocked out in the 1st round every year. The nuggets are nothing more than regular season hype nothing more that's when they do all their damage.

I agree with what you said but this year is just different. We never had this kind of depth before with Chandler actually in the rotation. Also we never had this kind of defense before in recent years. Our defense is what has made us good this year.

Guppyfighter
03-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Nuggets have the same statistical chance as the Mavs did when they won a title as the third seed (if the nuggets remain the third seed)

lol, please
03-27-2013, 12:07 AM
GS better than Houston?

Houston is knocking on that door of that tier below SAS/OKC.

GSW would sweep the Rockets in a series.