PDA

View Full Version : Are you a bandwagon if you follow a player over a team?

OceanSpray
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
I've been a Heat fan since Alonzo but why is it wrong for there to be new fans?
That's like saying immigrants shouldn't be allowed in this country.

YouCan'tBeatLA
03-19-2013, 05:53 PM

wat?

OceanSpray
03-19-2013, 05:54 PM
wat?

A team all began with fans just like America began with immigrants.

Randy Moss84
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM

No, but idiots will try to convince you that doing that, as well as not being a fan of your local teams makes u a fake sports fan

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
No, it doesn't. I am a Wolves fan, but I am also a fan of various players across the NBA, always have been, always will be. That being said, I choose team every time over a specific player, meaning I follow the name on the front of the jersey over the back all day, but I am not going to crush someone for being a huge fan of a player and switching teams if that player does.

We are all fans for various reasons.

NoahH
03-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Well I admit the Cavs were my favorite team back in the LeBron era and the Heat were in my top 5 and when LeBron joined the Heat they became my favorite team. WHY? Because LeBron James is my favorite player. He always has been. Since he was drafted I've been a hardcore LeBron fan. Would people actually expect me to cheer for Cleveland without LeBron? I dont have any local teams around me so I don't have any demographic allegiance so I think, for my case at least, you pick a favorite team by the players on the team. I'm a Lebron fan, I'm a Wade fan, which makes me a Heat fan. I want them to do well. I'm a huge Steph Curry fan and I admit if Curry was traded last season I probably would be cheering for his new team because I want him to do well.

Now, If Seattle gets their team back I would be loyal to that team (because of local demographic) no matter who was on that team.

The main reason why I would pick a team first is probably because I dont have a local team so its hard for me to arbitrarily follow another city's team for no reason. The players are the reason I follow a team.

Big Zo
03-19-2013, 06:02 PM
If you're someone that only follows a specific player, or players, and not a specific team, yeah.

WARRIORS@GR
03-19-2013, 06:03 PM
I hate bandwagoners..i am preety sure this is a US sport thing,you wont find a single one of them here in europe.
I am ok with routing for some teams to win because you might like something about them.
But changing your favourite team every year?thats ********.

LAKobeBryant
03-19-2013, 06:05 PM
lol nice comparison

alexander_37
03-19-2013, 06:07 PM
I followed T-Mac to Houston but stuck with Houston after he left.

D12 fan
03-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Don't be afraid to admit it Heat fans, I am a bandwagon fan as well. Tell the truth for the truth shall set you free.

bucketss
03-19-2013, 06:17 PM
Don't be afraid to admit it Heat fans, I am a bandwagon fan as well. Tell the truth for the truth shall set you free.

is that why you were discharged lol.

Green_Monster
03-19-2013, 06:27 PM
If a player leaves your team, that doesn't mean you should fellow them. But, I really don't mind if someone is a bandwagon fan. What gets me rattled is when a bandwagon fan acts like the **** and thinks their team is the greatest. They also pretend to act like they've been with that team the whole time.

That's why it's hard to deal with some Heat fans. The ones that don't act like bandwagoners seem chill. But, the others are extremely annoying.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-19-2013, 06:30 PM
No, it doesn't. I am a Wolves fan, but I am also a fan of various players across the NBA, always have been, always will be. That being said, I choose team every time over a specific player, meaning I follow the name on the front of the jersey over the back all day, but I am not going to crush someone for being a huge fan of a player and switching teams if that player does.

We are all fans for various reasons.

Oh stop hawkeye, we all know you and manram pretend to like other teams. It's about the Heat for you two.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-19-2013, 06:31 PM
:laugh: Don't even try D12, None of these bandwagon kids would ever have the heart to claim such true things.

Just admit it already.

Bishnoff
03-19-2013, 06:33 PM
I live in Australia and have no geographic connection to Phoenix but they'll always be my team, regardless of who is playing for them.

I first started supporting them because I loved watching KJ and Tom Chambers play back in the early 90's.

justinnum1
03-19-2013, 06:35 PM

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

KnickaBocka.44
03-19-2013, 06:35 PM
In my opinion, yes. You can hope for a player to do well or like a player but your player will never win. Only teams win in the NBA.

OceanSpray
03-19-2013, 06:36 PM
I used to love D-Wade but upon watching more LeBron James than ever, it became clear to me he was the best.

JordansBulls
03-19-2013, 06:37 PM
Yes I know people become fans at different times and you gotta start sometime, however you have many here who are all of a sudden are Heat fans when the team is a championship favorite and who never were here prior to that. Most times people become fans when a team has a star player which is fine, but what about the Heat? They have always had Wade, so why all of a sudden you have all of these posters who say they are Heat fans when the team has a great team but before even with a top 3 player in the league you never saw or heard from many of them?

There was a guy here who was here in 2005 when the Heat were good and posted in 2005 and 2006 and then you hadn't heard anything from him since 2006 until the 2011 summer.

A real fan is a fan of the team when good or bad, not when they just got a good team.

Bishnoff
03-19-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes I know people become fans at different times and you gotta start sometime, however you have many here who are all of a sudden are Heat fans when the team is a championship favorite and who never were here prior to that. Most times people become fans when a team has a star player which is fine, but what about the Heat? They have always had Wade, so why all of a sudden you have all of these posters who say they are Heat fans when the team has a great team but before even with a top 3 player in the league you never saw or heard from many of them?

There was a guy here who was here in 2005 when the Heat were good and posted in 2005 and 2006 and then you hadn't heard anything from him since 2006 until the 2011 summer.

A real fan is a fan of the team when good or bad, not when they just got a good team.

This.

ManRam
03-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Nothing's wrong with following a player.

Carter15 is a prime example. Great/knowledgeable fan, but his favorite teams here started with NJ, then became Orlando, and then he left us to follow Vince.

phantasyyy
03-19-2013, 06:49 PM
If a player leaves your team, that doesn't mean you should fellow them. But, I really don't mind if someone is a bandwagon fan. What gets me rattled is when a bandwagon fan acts like the **** and thinks their team is the greatest. They also pretend to act like they've been with that team the whole time.

That's why it's hard to deal with some Heat fans. The ones that don't act like bandwagoners seem chill. But, the others are extremely annoying.

lbj fans for ya lmao

NoahH
03-19-2013, 06:56 PM

What if you've never had much allegiance to any time in particular? I was a Vancouver Grizzlies fan and when they left I was kind of left in limbo and eventually became a Sonics fan / LeBron fan then they left and i was left in limbo again.. What did i do? Become a Cavs fan because my favorite player was on that team. I was never a Cavs fan per say so why would I stick with the Cavs without LeBron?

Maybe I have a special situation because two of my local teams (the one being my favorite team all through my childhood) were stripped and stolen from under me

Green_Monster
03-19-2013, 07:08 PM
What if you've never had much allegiance to any time in particular? I was a Vancouver Grizzlies fan and when they left I was kind of left in limbo and eventually became a Sonics fan / LeBron fan then they left and i was left in limbo again.. What did i do? Become a Cavs fan because my favorite player was on that team. I was never a Cavs fan per say so why would I stick with the Cavs without LeBron?

Maybe I have a special situation because two of my local teams (the one being my favorite team all through my childhood) were stripped and stolen from under me

Damn, that's a tough situation. You shouldn't be called a bandwagon fan when your team left you.

Fnom11
03-19-2013, 07:15 PM
After watching Lebron play the last few years he's definitely won me over. If he were to leave the heat he'd still be my favorite player and I'd root for his team as long as they weren't playing the Heat and the Heat are "good".

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 07:17 PM
Oh stop hawkeye, we all know you and manram pretend to like other teams. It's about the Heat for you two.

I bleed blue and green dude haha, even if we suck yearly.

GiantsSwaGG
03-19-2013, 07:18 PM

You and Justinnum1 come to mind

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 07:18 PM

when KG left Minny, I rooted for him that first year, and when he won his ring, I said, "there you go, now **** off".

b@llhog24
03-19-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't follow players specifically, but I alwaysed like cores (3-4 promising or good players). Like in the early 2000s I liked the Lakers cause of Shaq, then Cweb became my fav player so i followed the Kings during his tenure there. Got a little disinterested in basketball in general and I liked what the Blazers were doing with Roy, Aldridge, Oden, etc. Now I'm just gonna be a Trailblazer fan thru whatever, but I remain an Nba fan first.

GiantsSwaGG
03-19-2013, 07:19 PM

What if Patrick Swayze were alive and played for the Knicks?

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 07:20 PM
forgetting to factor in fans collegiate alliances? Any player who played at Iowa I automatically follow, even if they might eventually annoy me (looking at you Reggie Evans).

NYCkid12
03-19-2013, 07:21 PM

LOL yeah , it's exactly the same

Anyways , I don't know if it's bandwagon or not I just don't see the point in it...

Also love the sig

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 07:24 PM
What if Patrick Swayze were alive and played for the Knicks?

you just blew my mind

NoahH
03-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Damn, that's a tough situation. You shouldn't be called a bandwagon fan when your team left you.

Exactly. Twice. Happened to me twice!!!

Green_Monster
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
when KG left Minny, I rooted for him that first year, and when he won his ring, I said, "there you go, now **** off".

:laugh2:

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 07:34 PM
:laugh2:

I actually shed a tear when they won (plus they beat the Lakers, even better), and was so happy for him. But then it was over. You are a Celtic now, and sort of a dick. Go away.

Vee-Rex
There's nothing wrong with being a fan of a specific player. Charles Barkley is my favorite of all time. I was a 76ers, Suns, then Rockets fan until he retired. Kevin Garnett grew on me and I was a T-Wolves fan for a long time, and now I'm a Celtics fan. I'm from Cleveland so the Cavs have always been a secondary favorite team for me. Out of all my years of being an NBA fan, my favorite team has only won 1 championship. But I've been consistent with it and won't jump ship to a team that is favored to win it all.

Now if you were not a Lebron/Cavs fan, Wade/Heat fan, or Bosh/Raptors fan and now suddenly you're a Heat fan then you're a bandwagoner. They exist, and they are plentiful. My dad is a bandwagoner, nothing wrong with admitting it. It's only lame when you start acting like you're the **** because your fav team is the Heat now. And on PSD, these kind of people are plentiful.

mgjohnson7851
Yes you are a band wagon fan....real fans stick by their team through thick and thin.

ManRam
03-19-2013, 07:36 PM

Yeah. Anyone who has been around knows that's not the case.

Hell, I've been way more partial to the Celtics in the past than LeBron/Heat. I'd root for the Spurs over the Heat in the Finals.

Dade County
03-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Are you a bandwagon if you follow a player over a team?

If you follow that player and not try to claim that team as your team, then whatever... But the moment you start repping that team, then you have jump on the banwagon.

Lets say if Wade left the HEAT, I would start to cheer for his new team... I would wish Wade luck, and just worry about my team.

NoahH
03-19-2013, 07:44 PM
My buddy is now a die-hard Lakers fan because Dwight is now on the team but when I asked him who Steve Blake was he didnt know... Bandwagon?

Allphakenny1
03-19-2013, 07:52 PM
I say it is still bandwagon because people pick players because they are great, which is the same thing to me as teams. If Lebron is your favorite player and you root for whatever team he is on then you will always be rooting for a championchip contending team. You never have to experience the bad like many of us have to go through. I have been a Warriors fan since 1997 and have only seen one playoff for my team. Now I root for other players as a backup when my team is eliminated, but Warriors will always come first. However, if you know the player personally, like family or you went to high school together, I feel it is ok.

D-Leethal
03-19-2013, 07:53 PM
I think its pretty weak if you actually have a hometown team to root for your favorite players team. I knew more dudes growing up that were Kobe dickriders/Laker fans than Knick fans. I think if your from a state/area without a team its fair game to do that though.

UPRock
03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
Well I'm not from the states so I selected my teams like some people here. I officially began to watch NBA basketball around 2005 and fell in love with Miami, the duo of Wade and Shaq simply amazed me. I remember people telling me about Kobe & Shaq but I really didn't like the Lakers, they were winning every freaking year and everyone was a fan, it really annoyed me going to a place and seeing people with the same freaking jerseys. I also followed Orlando, I lived there approximately for three months with my Sister, which obviously lives there and we drove near Amway a lot. So I've followed both Florida teams since but majorly Miami. This site has a freaking problem with "Bandwagoners" and call everyone by that name, so that's one of the reasons why I only post in the main forums. The only team forums I use is the Giants forums which I also follow and sometimes in the Jets forums.

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 08:03 PM
I think its pretty weak if you actually have a hometown team to root for your favorite players team. I knew more dudes growing up that were Kobe dickriders/Laker fans than Knick fans. I think if your from a state/area without a team its fair game to do that though.

I moved 10 times before age 14, was a Wolves fan when they started in 1989, and moved to Houston in 1996. How am I classified haha?

Faneik
03-19-2013, 08:07 PM

???

speak for yourself

i know hawkeye is a wolves fan and manram a magic fan

both their teams will not be in the play-offs, have no idea if they'll root for any other team

GiantsSwaGG
03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
I moved 10 times before age 14, was a Wolves fan when they started in 1989, and moved to Houston in 1996. How am I classified haha?

Were you that much of a problem in school that you have to moved 10 times :p

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Were you that much of a problem in school that you have to moved 10 times :p

my dad moving through the corporate ladder dude, I was a victim. Thank god it PERFECTED my social skills hahaha

seikou8
03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
no iwont i love shump but if left or gott traded to make us better dudces

UPRock
03-19-2013, 08:12 PM
He probably kept moving because of his parents, Hawkeye doesn't seem like a problematic guy.

Faneik
03-19-2013, 08:16 PM
I'm a Celtics fan since the day my dad bought me a Larry Bird jersey when i was a little kid.

In the East, I also support Indiana, because of the work Bird did there.

In the West i have sympathy for the Wolves (lots of europeans, i'm a fan of ricky rubio) and the blazers (since when petrovic was there)

But I'll always be a Celtics fan 1st.

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm a Celtics fan since the day my dad bought me a Larry Bird jersey when i was a little kid.

In the East, I also support Indiana, because of the work Bird did there.

In the West i have sympathy for the Wolves (lots of europeans, i'm a fan of ricky rubio) and the blazers (since when petrovic was there)

But I'll always be a Celtics fan 1st.

I was introduced to basketball in 1984 at 8.5 years old, when my dad, a huge Bird fan, was screaming at the television. Watched the 84' finals, never liked the Lakers since.

Faneik
03-19-2013, 08:25 PM
I was introduced to basketball in 1984 at 8.5 years old, when my dad, a huge Bird fan, was screaming at the television. Watched the 84' finals, never liked the Lakers since.

the 1st Finals I remember seeing on Tv was the 1991 Finals - bulls vs lakers.

Sadly, I saw Bird playing when he was declining due to back problems.

I still remember...no internet back then.

Saw the scores in the newspaper, the games on TV 4/5 days later.

Only around 1996, the Finals were on live portuguese television.

GiantsSwaGG
03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
my dad moving through the corporate ladder dude, I was a victim. Thank god it PERFECTED my social skills hahaha

Had to be nice to travel. Just as long you didn't move to Compton or Chicago

03-19-2013, 08:36 PM
big time iverson fan, still am, used to follow philly, then when he got traded to denver, i started going for denver. iverson left, still followed denver. go nuggets yeeeewwwww

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-19-2013, 08:38 PM

If somehow the Wolves and Heat met in the finals, i'm pretty sure you would suicide.:P

ThaDubs
03-19-2013, 08:41 PM
It is wrong for there to be new fans.
=
Immigrants shouldn't be allowed in this country.

Wat??

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Yeah. Anyone who has been around knows that's not the case.
Hell, I've been way more partial to the Celtics in the past than LeBron/Heat. I'd root for the Spurs over the Heat in the Finals.
I think we got a fibberrrrrr!!!!

???

speak for yourself

i know hawkeye is a wolves fan and manram a magic fan

both their teams will not be in the play-offs, have no idea if they'll root for any other team
Lol you don't know who they'll be rooting for this post season? :laugh:

Avenged
03-19-2013, 08:43 PM
"That's like saying immigrants shouldn't be allowed in this country."

epic comparison......................

Shlumpledink
03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't care who is fans of what, but I don't hold fans in high esteem who abandon their teams and come back as the year goes on. Win-loss record shouldn't dictate whether you are a fan or not.

I think you really show you're a fan when you stick by your team when they're losing

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM

Or alot of New York cities.

ThaDubs
03-19-2013, 08:45 PM
I've always been a Bulls fan. My dad's side is from Chicago and that's my family's secondary team. Clippers are one of my favorite teams as well and definitely my first option bandwagon team but I consider it more acceptable because I live in California.

GiantsSwaGG
03-19-2013, 08:46 PM

La cities is Iraq compare to New York cities bud!

ThunderousDemon
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

That wasn't even funny.

This dude just laughs to get people annoyed

Green_Monster
03-19-2013, 08:51 PM
That wasn't even funny.

Yeah, that joke was pretty bad.

GiantsSwaGG
03-19-2013, 08:52 PM
That wasn't even funny.

His post count should give u an indication of what he's about!

mdm692
03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
IMO you need to stick with your team through everything that's what makes being a fan great. If you only follow a certain player around like D12 and LBJ then claim to be the best fan of either of the teams that makes you a hypocrite. I've always been a fan of Melo and Wade(even though he's a douche) but you don't see me claiming I'm a Knicks or Heat fan. The point of TEAM sports for fans is to unify and entire city regardless of race, ethnicity or financial status. Can you cheer for other teams? Sure I personally cheer for the Bulls because I lived 7 years in the midwest and I used to like to watch them when they had players like Ben Gordon, Kirk Hinrich(the first time), Tyrus Thomas and Hakim Warrick. Honestly though I can't respect fans that jump around from team to team just because their previous team is losing or because they don't want to be associate with a losing franchise yet as soon as that team becomes a contender they cheer for them again.

mdm692
03-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I've always been a Bulls fan. My dad's side is from Chicago and that's my family's secondary team. Clippers are one of my favorite teams as well and definitely my first option bandwagon team but I consider it more acceptable because I live in California.
Would you turn your back on the Warriors if they were having a losing season?

Purple_n_Gold
03-19-2013, 09:43 PM
If you're someone that only follows a specific player, or players, and not a specific team, yeah.
Respect. The clown who started this thread is a bandwagon fan. When you have to add the statement I've been a fan since Alonzo into your post we know what it is. This guy who posted the above is a true heat fan no doubt. Notice all the people in here saying no its not a bandwagon if bla bla bla are bandwagoners. Moronic analogy as well but hey what ever makes the ocean troll feel better. I know bandwagon fans being a laker fan and I hate them. Most of the bandwagon fans posting in this thread I'm sure were Laker fans in the early 2000's. to spray c'mon man admit you are a bandwagoning troll and stop starting threads like this to make yourself feel better. ...I've been a fan since Alonzo. That is pretty funny. Gave yourself up so bad.

Raidaz4Life
03-19-2013, 09:46 PM
I say you're only a bandwagon fan if you stop following them as fervently when they start to suck.

JasonJohnHorn
03-19-2013, 09:56 PM
Back in the day, I was a Pistons fan and a Barkley fan. The 76ers never played the Pistons, so I never had to choose between them, but when the Pistons started sucking and Barkley was moved to Phoenix, I followed the Suns closely... I had a number of people say I was a band-wagon jumper, but I wasn't, I was loyal to my favorite player. Nothing wrong with rooting for your favorite player regardless of what jersey he is wearing.

No, a fan who follows his favorite player through trades is not a bandwagon jumper.

MetroMan
03-19-2013, 10:05 PM

:no:

According to CNN

Most dangerous us cities

1 Detroit
2 St. Louis
3 Oakland California
4 Cleveland
5 New Orleans
6 Newark New Jersey
7 Atlanta
8 Baltimore
9 Memphis Tenn.
10 Kansas City, Mo.

Hellcrooner
03-19-2013, 10:09 PM
ye

kdspurman
03-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Sort of, but there's nothing wrong with it. Some people tend to act foolishly about it but it is what it is.

I can see why some folks might do it, or why they can't just follow one team. I know if Tim went to the Magic in 2000, I wouldn't have been reppin' the Magic and talking junk like I've been a Magic fan my whole life. But that's cause I was a Spurs fan before I knew about Duncan. But not everyone is the same.

koberulesall
03-19-2013, 10:20 PM
bandwagon fans are cancer in sports

topdog
03-19-2013, 10:36 PM
The distinction is whether you root for the player or the team i.e. it's hypocritical to talk about a team in terms of "we" and then ditch it when your favorite player moves on. Simply be clear in your intentions.

Allphakenny1
03-19-2013, 10:46 PM
Back in the day, I was a Pistons fan and a Barkley fan. The 76ers never played the Pistons, so I never had to choose between them, but when the Pistons started sucking and Barkley was moved to Phoenix, I followed the Suns closely... I had a number of people say I was a band-wagon jumper, but I wasn't, I was loyal to my favorite player. Nothing wrong with rooting for your favorite player regardless of what jersey he is wearing.

No, a fan who follows his favorite player through trades is not a bandwagon jumper.

I respectfully disagree, why did you chose Barkley? Because he is a great player. How is this any different than choosing a team because they are great. You do not hear people saying I am a fan of Tyrus Thomas and will root for any team he plays on. People always choose great players so whatever team they are on wil at least be competative.

kubernetes
03-19-2013, 11:26 PM
I don't really get it, personally. Basketball is the easiest sport in which to become a devoted fan of specific players, especially because the contributions of individual players have a disproportionately large impact compared to other sports. So what's the big deal about following individuals? Did none of you ever cheer for the Bulls because of MJ? I did. Heck, as a really young kid I loved cheering for the 76s because of Dr. J. Do I care about the Bulls or Sixers now? No. So?

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 11:34 PM
the 1st Finals I remember seeing on Tv was the 1991 Finals - bulls vs lakers.

Sadly, I saw Bird playing when he was declining due to back problems.

I still remember...no internet back then.

Saw the scores in the newspaper, the games on TV 4/5 days later.

Only around 1996, the Finals were on live portuguese television.

grew up watching Bird, and when MJ came along when I was about 10, I fell in love haha.

Hawkeye15
03-19-2013, 11:35 PM

lived in Chicago from 1977-79. I was an infant, don't remember it at all

Lakers + Giants
03-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Well, I became a laker fan in 2000 during the lakers championship run, I was 8 at the time though. Does that still make me a bandwagon fan?

Allphakenny1
03-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Well, I became a laker fan in 2000 during the lakers championship run, I was 8 at the time though. Does that still make me a bandwagon fan?

Not sure where La Habra is, but if LA is your home town team then no. Just because you started rooting for your home town team when they were good does not make you bandwagon. Now if they start sucking and you stop watching them until they become good again, you are what is refered to as a fair wheather fan. If La Habra is closer to Oakland or Sacramento California and you started rooting for the Lakers because they were a good team, then yes you are a bandwagon fan. This is only my opinion of course.

Allphakenny1
03-20-2013, 12:31 AM
This whole thread is funny to me because I have recently had this discussion with a casual friend of mine who is a fan of Miami and OKC. Why you ask? Because her two favorite players are Wade and Durrant. I call her bandwagon and she does not understand because she says she will be loyal to those players regardless. We just view the term BANDWAGON differently, just like many of us on this site.

magic0320
03-20-2013, 12:54 AM
i hate people who jumps team around. can't even be loyal to one team. i hate this poor excuses i follow this player. well then you don't have team and your not really fan. you just like to follow team that wins. which is bandwagon.

my first year l started to like lakers they didn't even make the playoffs. i started to like mariners in baseball because of Ichro, and they never made playoffs. also Ichro went to newyork but i still love mariners. and i love texans because when i moved usa from Korea they started their franchise and never gave up on them and now they are one of the best in the league.

enitialdee
03-20-2013, 02:42 AM
<-------Rockets Fan Here, but an even bigger a laker hater so I am a fan of whatever team the lakers are playing that night..

mikekhelxD
03-20-2013, 02:53 AM
I'm team over a single player every single time. But to completely abandon the team you cheered for before just because your favorite player switched teams, then maybe. I love D Rose, but if he switches team, I won't abandon the Bulls. I've been a fan since a kid and went through the ups and down of the Bulls. I never let go of cheering for the Bulls after the Jordan era. So if Rose goes to another team, I'll support him still. However, if my Bulls faces the team Rose is on, my loyalty belongs to the team.

If there are new fans out there cheering for the Heat because of LBJ, they can go ahead. However, if you are a Cavs fan, not just a Lebron fan, and jumped shipped, i'll consider you one.

mikekhelxD
03-20-2013, 03:00 AM

Compton isn't that bad now. Haha. I bet it was worse when I was a little kid or before I was born. I used to kick it there weekly when I was in HS, 5-9 years ago, but we tried to stay away from just kicking it on the curb as much as possible. Always had to think about the clothes I wear for that day before I go to school though.

AI4MVP
03-20-2013, 03:08 AM
I'm a Wolves fan because I have been a fan of Ricky Rubio since he was a little kid in Europe. The Wolves are one of the worst teams in the NBA this year. So how does that make me a bandwagon? If Ricky Rubio were to be traded, so would my fanhood. Many will not understand this, but when you follow a favorite player with a particular type of loyalty, you build a "bond" with that player that can rival that of a bond someone builds with a particular team.

Guppyfighter
03-20-2013, 03:11 AM
"I cheer for really good players."

"I like to cheer for winning."

That means the same thing to me.

YouCan'tBeatLA
03-20-2013, 03:12 AM
I'm a Wolves fan because I have been a fan of Ricky Rubio since he was a little kid in Europe. The Wolves are one of the worst teams in the NBA this year. So how does that make me a bandwagon? If Ricky Rubio were to be traded, so would my fanhood. Many will not understand this, but when you follow a favorite player with a particular tType of loyalty, you build a "bond" with that player that can rival that of a bond someone builds with a particular team.

Sorry, but that's stupid. What if Ricky was to retire tomorrow, then what?

AI4MVP
03-20-2013, 03:23 AM
Sorry, but that's stupid. What if Ricky was to retire tomorrow, then what?

Well, My 1A and 1B are the Suns and T'wolves.

rex.reyesiii
03-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Was never a Basketball fan, until I graduated College, worked as a Programmer then discovered Allen Iverson.(yeah I already heard of Jordan back then, but couldn't relate). ehh, yeah its not connected at all for being a programmer. ehehe

Followed AI in his days in the 6ers, until after Denver 06, I jumped the DWade bandwagon.

Just now that I am liking the Team more and Basketball in general than the individual player. I will still be a HEAT fan even if DWade leaves, but will still be an AI and DWade fan.

IKnowHoops
03-20-2013, 03:57 AM
Im from MN, and in MN first year, I watched the admiral come through and dominate. Then there were the MR. Robinson commercials with his Nike pumps. David became my favorite player by far and the spurs became my team. I rode with that team through all four of there rings. David passed the torch to Tim and I loved Duncan. Not near as much as David, but more than any other player. When Lebron came into the league, I instantly loved his game and his freakish ability and followed him as well as the spurs. I cheered for the spurs over Lebron in the finals though. But as my spurs had nothing to prove, and Lebron was garnering so much hate, I started to cheer for Bron more and more till one day it passed my love for the Spurs. in 2007 when the Spurs beat the detroit in the finals, I was going for spurs and Bron equally. And that next year, I was definitely pulling for Bron to win a ring over the Spurs. My Spurs will always be my team, but Bron is definitely by far my favorite player in the league. Ironically, Tim Hardaway was my second favorite player During the David Robinson years and I cheered hard for the Heat at that time. But I soley cheer for the Heat because they have Lebron. I definitely like players more than I like teams and if a player moves me enough, (David Robinson, Tim Hardaway, Lebron James) I will cheer for them to win just as hard as fans of the team they are on cheer for that team to win. I like Alonzo,T.Parker, Manu, D wade, Bosh and a few other guys because as I am a fan of my favorite players, I cheer for the teams they are on and I start to cheer and like the teamates of my favorite players in part because they help my buy win if they play good, and you can develop an appreciation for those players when you witness there skills day in and day out. If this makes me a bad fan, than I am a bad fan and proud of it.

John Walls Era
03-20-2013, 04:30 AM
Nothing's wrong with following a player.

Carter15 is a prime example. Great/knowledgeable fan, but his favorite teams here started with NJ, then became Orlando, and then he left us to follow Vince.

ummm what? pretty sure he was/is Raps fan.

John Walls Era
03-20-2013, 04:31 AM
I only like the Raptors (like is still a strong word, I actually only watch games that are interesting during the regular season, use to watch 60x more).

O yeah... Made this account before he was drafted.

John Walls Era
03-20-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm a Wolves fan because I have been a fan of Ricky Rubio since he was a little kid in Europe. The Wolves are one of the worst teams in the NBA this year. So how does that make me a bandwagon? If Ricky Rubio were to be traded, so would my fanhood. Many will not understand this, but when you follow a favorite player with a particular type of loyalty, you build a "bond" with that player that can rival that of a bond someone builds with a particular team.

ugh how can anyone watch Barcelona and be a fan of any of their players? Its not like they're a great club like Madrid or anything. They're 5th tier at best.

John Walls Era
03-20-2013, 04:37 AM

just join the rockets fanclub already like all your co-workers.

amos1er
03-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Back in 2006, this forum was crawling with Wade/Heat fans. Then in 2008 it was all of the sudden Boston fans. Then in 2009 and 2010 there were tons of Cleveland fans. Now again, it has gone back to primarily Heat fans again. There always seems to be a new brand of Kobe hater that evolves with whatever team is the Lakers primary threat or whichever superstar is Kobe's current rival. From Iverson to Carter to Allen to T-Mac to Wade and now to Lebron...I have seen their supporters come and go over the years. I always wonder if it's just the same people starting new accounts every time their new champion is no longer relevant. So to answer the question...PSD is full of bandwagoners who follow not only players over teams, they switch their allegiances like they change underwear...and I suspect they change their screen names along with them.

Guppyfighter
03-20-2013, 05:05 AM
You are an inane poster.

Faneik
03-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Back in 2006, this forum was crawling with Wade/Heat fans. Then in 2008 it was all of the sudden Boston fans. Then in 2009 and 2010 there were tons of Cleveland fans. Now again, it has gone back to primarily Heat fans again. There always seems to be a new brand of Kobe hater that evolves with whatever team is the Lakers primary threat or whichever superstar is Kobe's current rival. From Iverson to Carter to Allen to T-Mac to Wade and now to Lebron...I have seen their supporters come and go over the years. I always wonder if it's just the same people starting new accounts every time their new champion is no longer relevant. So to answer the question...PSD is full of bandwagoners who follow not only players over teams, they switch their allegiances like they change underwear...and I suspect they change their screen names along with them.

where are the utah jazz band-wagoners?

Faneik
03-20-2013, 08:22 AM

another perfect example of how self-centered lakers fan are.

to them, everything revolves around kobe & the lakers.

benzni
03-20-2013, 08:34 AM
I was a NJ Nets fan but then I jumped the bandwagon to the Brooklyn Nets. They are the new thing, so I did not want to get left behind.

Faneik
03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
@amos1er:

you and the other kobe fan-boys need the realize a few things. kobe is hated because:

1. his attitude and reputation for being an ego-maniac who often throws team-mates under the bus
2. the rape scandal
3. his success, i admit that
4. kobe fan-boys - their immaturity, the fact they bring kobe's accolades to every single thread

if we wanted to read how kobe & the lakers are so good on every thread, we'd go to the lakers forum

sjbirds
03-20-2013, 08:44 AM
There's a difference between liking a player when he leaves your team and you leaving your team. You can still cheer for that player but you shouldn't abandon your team. I hate when people bail on their team.

koreancabbage
03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
@amos1er:

you and the other kobe fan-boys need the realize a few things. kobe is hated because:

1. his attitude and reputation for being an ego-maniac who often throws team-mates under the bus
2. the rape scandal
4. kobe fan-boys - their immaturity, the fact they bring kobe's accolades to every single thread

if we wanted to read how kobe & the lakers are so good on every thread, we'd go to the lakers forum

ditto. I do respect Kobe and his legacy he has built but its like amos1er is pretty much repeating himself as history does. If Kobe went to another team, people would follow him too. And where ever he goes, people will love and hate him. And the fact that the hate he brings upon Lebron makes me believe he too is a bandwagon fan cuz he often brings in the Kobe perspective in every thread with Lebron and Wade. Knowing this fact - if Kobe went to another team, amos1er would follow.

in conclusion: amos1er is a bandwagon team fan (but a fan of Kobe)

Utd7
03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Most of my friends in high school were extremely loyal to players over teams. I think most teenagers are like that but I root for the team over the player. Players come and go but a team will always remain unless they move which doesn't happen very often.

JKiddFan4Life
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
I've lived my whole life in TN. We didn't have a professional basketball team when I was growing up, so there wasn't really a home team to follow until 2001. So I decided to follow a player (Kidd), instead. I think if you're just as committed about following a player as you are a team, then no I don't personally consider that being a bandwagon fan.

sep11ie
03-20-2013, 10:57 AM
You are bandwagon if you act like you have been or are a huge fan of a team due to your favorite player going to said team. You can't grow true fan feelings overnight.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-20-2013, 12:31 PM
La cities is Iraq compare to New York cities bud!

Downtown La yeah. I've been to New York many times, I always thought it was trash. Nothing even remotely special about the place.

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-20-2013, 05:19 PM
Downtown La yeah. I've been to New York many times, I always thought it was trash. Nothing even remotely special about the place.

lol... :facepalm:

SLY WILLIAMS
03-20-2013, 05:28 PM
I remain a fan of Nate Robinson and Danilo Gallinari. Neither of them demanded a trade or anything like that so I have no reason to stop rooting for them to do well. There is nothing wrong with you having favorite players. I also rooted for Patrick Ewing after he was traded.

amos1er
03-20-2013, 10:24 PM
@amos1er:

Being an ego-maniac goes with the territory. Even Le-Easywayout James refers to himself in the 3rd person. Jordan was arguable more egotistical than both Kobe and James. So then, why does only bother you all that Kobe is an ego-maniac?

2. the rape scandal

Really? :eyebrow: You're gonna go there.

So I take it Kobe is the only professional athlete to ever cheat on his wife. Come on bro...at least find some more original reasons to hate on him.

The first legit reason you have given and a reason I suspect makes up roughly 95% of your "Kobe Hate Pie".

How come you don't hate Lebron then? His fan boys are even worse and there are many more of them these days. They don't seem to bother you at all. How strange. :eyebrow:

No one forces you to read my posts, let alone respond to them.

amos1er
03-20-2013, 10:27 PM
ditto. I do respect Kobe and his legacy he has built but its like amos1er is pretty much repeating himself as history does. If Kobe went to another team, people would follow him too. And where ever he goes, people will love and hate him. And the fact that the hate he brings upon Lebron makes me believe he too is a bandwagon fan cuz he often brings in the Kobe perspective in every thread with Lebron and Wade. Knowing this fact - if Kobe went to another team, amos1er would follow.

in conclusion: amos1er is a bandwagon team fan (but a fan of Kobe)

Brilliant assessment buddy! You got it all figured out.

Anyways...like I even need to bother explaining my fandom to scalawag such as yourself.

OceanSpray
03-20-2013, 10:34 PM
You can't force yourself to become a fan.. it's an instant attraction and enjoyment of a particular subject. grow up and move on with yourselves. at the end of the day, you're all just angry because miami is winning.

Purple_n_Gold
03-20-2013, 10:50 PM
You can't force yourself to become a fan.. it's an instant attraction and enjoyment of a particular subject. grow up and move on with yourselves. at the end of the day, you're all just angry because miami is winning.
I see you got some new avatars and sigs hey? Pretty fancy. Lmao.

OceanSpray
03-20-2013, 10:58 PM
I see you got some new avatars and sigs hey? Pretty fancy. Lmao.

Damn.. You caught me! I managed to spend more time on this forum on googling an avatar/sig! Damn, I'm such a bandwagoner!

still1ballin
03-20-2013, 11:03 PM

+1

Completely agree. Living in Miami, a lot of my friends who are now Heat fans have admitted to me they started to follow the Heat in 2010 when they got the big 3.

Its gonna be interesting when all of this over, if these very same fans will still be around.

fadahway
03-21-2013, 02:26 AM
Same here I like LbJ (nohomo), so of course I like miami but I'd always liked the heat because of hardaway though. So no!!

But the sonics thats my team right there!!!!

aLau10
03-21-2013, 03:20 AM

What he said, and this applies for players too. Just like "Linsanity" last year, people keep posting photos and videos and brags about how they've been following him ever since he first started out, when they never watched basketball in their life before. Like look now, where are all these fking supporters NO WHERE TO BE SEEN, like honestly it enrages me because I was and still am a true JLin fan, and just these stupid people bragging when they dunno shyt...its hard to digest.

The goods
03-21-2013, 03:57 AM

Exactly what I was going to say.

DumDum
03-21-2013, 05:10 AM
Follow who you don't make threads about though

FlashReturns
03-21-2013, 05:11 AM
In my opinion you're only a bandwagon fan if you claim a team one year to be your favorite because they are winning and the next year you claim a different team because they are winning now. If you're a fan of a player that is fine. I know many bulls fans simply because their favorite player is Derrick Rose, same goes with Durant and the Thunder, Kobe/Dwight and the Lakers, Wade/Lebron and the Heat. As a HEAT fan I am fine with people joining the team all of the sudden because their favorite player is Lebron (or possibly Bosh). Id much rather that than random people claiming to be a fan because we are doing well at the moment but if next year we go 15-67 and they suddenly vanish to being a Thunder fan or whatever.
I will always root for the HEAT no matter what even when my favorite player Wade retires. Im not even a fan of Lebron but I'm thankful for what he has been able to do, and I initially didnt want him on the team just as an NBA fan in general.

DumDum
03-21-2013, 05:16 AM
Just don't buy kobe sneakers

FlashReturns
03-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Bandwagons are just as bad as homers and fan boys.

Melo15
03-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Yeah, this doesn't sound like a bandwagon mentality at all........

DitchDat
03-21-2013, 09:39 AM
I don't care why people like teams, but I hate baiting bandwagoners.

I'm a fan of a team (and a history), but I do follow others players closely (Al Jefferson, Kobe, DeMarcus Cousins)

Faneik
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Really? :eyebrow: You're gonna go there.

So I take it Kobe is the only professional athlete to ever cheat on his wife. Come on bro...at least find some more original reasons to hate on him.

wtf? rape is not the same thing as cheating

How come you don't hate Lebron then? His fan boys are even worse and there are many more of them these days. They don't seem to bother you at all. How strange. :eyebrow:

i don't hate players. i find some fan-boys annoying as hell.

imo, kobe fan-boys are worse. but yes, there are lbj fan-boys that are also annoying.

el hidalgo
03-21-2013, 12:59 PM
+1

Completely agree. Living in Miami, a lot of my friends who are now Heat fans have admitted to me they started to follow the Heat in 2010 when they got the big 3.

Its gonna be interesting when all of this over, if these very same fans will still be around.

arent you technically a bandwagoner? you follow a player over a team, you just want him to lose :laugh: you have said seeing lebron lose is as good as seeing the lakers win a championship. im not sure if youll be around when lebron retires. youll have nobody to hate on.

PLAYERS FAN
03-21-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm a player fan, but when Kobe retire I can't see myself continuing to be a player fan. I probably be a laker fan, but I still haven't gotten over lakers fans during the Smush Parker era. When the Gasol trade happen, the bandwagon laker fan came out the woodwork. I still have a little bias against lakers fan, because the Shaq thing.

el hidalgo
03-21-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm a player fan, but when Kobe retire I can't see myself continuing to be a player fan. I probably be a laker fan, but I still haven't gotten over lakers fans during the Smush Parker era. When the Gasol trade happen, the bandwagon laker fan came out the woodwork. I still have a little bias against lakers fan, because the Shaq thing.

damn dawg, that looks like some medical grade "brimstone" in your signature

mightybosstone
03-21-2013, 07:03 PM
I'm a Rockets fan first and foremost, but I can see situations where you might leave to go to another team. I certainly never would root against the Rockets, but I also can appreciate other teams and players. I like rooting for the Heat, Celtics and Thunder, but would never root for them against my own team.

MaloDaw9
03-21-2013, 07:42 PM
Being a true fan or die hard involves a lot of love and emotion. A lot of high stress hours, prayers, superstitions.

To leave your team to bandwagon another because your favorite player left is sad really. It shows your lack of loyalty and willingness to bail when **** gets tough. It's a character flaw.

Clippersfan86
03-21-2013, 09:50 PM

Exactly which is what the OP was asking. If you're a "player fan" not a "team fan" yes you're a bandwagoner and likely a douche in the sports world.

HouRealCoach
03-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Bandwagon fans are guys who hop from team to team depending on who's the most successful... Twitter is full of them

Clippersfan86
03-21-2013, 11:43 PM
Bandwagon fans are guys who hop from team to team depending on who's the most successful... Twitter is full of them

Following a player from one team to the next is EXACTLY the same kind of mentally weak, disloyal fan IMO. Lebron nut riders who jumped from supposedly being diehard Cavs fans to now Heat fans are plentiful. Same recently with Dwight fans who are now posing as Lakers fans.

seikou8
03-21-2013, 11:48 PM
if you think heat fans on here are bangwagons if love basketbal/your team l so much that you willing to talk about with compete strangers online that is pretty die hard if you are troll.team>>>>>>>>>>player any day of the week.

Clippersfan86
03-21-2013, 11:56 PM
if you think heat fans on here are bangwagons if love basketbal/your team l so much that you willing to talk about with compete strangers online that is pretty die hard if you are troll.team>>>>>>>>>>player any day of the week.

Not sure if you were responding to me but I didn't mean that all Heat fans are bandwagon. I'm saying Lebron fans that followed him from Cleveland to Miami are pathetic sports fans. Same with guys like D12 Fan who are now acting like Lakers fans.

seikou8
03-22-2013, 12:01 AM
Not sure if you were responding to me but I didn't mean that all Heat fans are bandwagon. I'm saying Lebron fans that followed him from Cleveland to Miami are pathetic sports fans. Same with guys like D12 Fan who are now acting like Lakers fans.

no not you justing saying and yea your right that about that dont really like player-fans you dont have to change teams to support your favorite player

Clippersfan86
03-22-2013, 12:05 AM
no not you justing saying and yea your right that about that dont really like player-fans you dont have to change teams to support your favorite player

Exactly. I still root for ex Clippers players and will go out of my way to watch them but I'd never become a fan of their team and bail on mine.

D12 fan
03-22-2013, 12:09 AM

You aren't a Clippers fan either you are a Blake Griffin fan.

seikou8
03-22-2013, 12:10 AM
Exactly. I still root for ex Clippers players and will go out of my way to watch them but I'd never become a fan of their team and bail on mine.

shump for example if he left and got traded if it was good for the team do it without question i would still would love him as player but not even close how much i want the knicks to win it at all or be sucessfull