PDA

View Full Version : How sad is the Hawks franchise?

ThuglifeJ
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Tonight they just took out there starters with 6 MINUTES left and only down 15 points.. Just one of the many things this team does to prove mediocrity

-They've been a first round/ occasional second round exit every season never improve.
-I have no reason to hate Atlanta, but everytime the team I'm watching is heading there I know it's gonna be a snooze fest. This team has been the same team forever now, even with Joe Johnson they were so hard to watch.
-Their offense, their fans, their announcers all put you to sleep.

The best thing they get is a nice Josh Smith dunk every once in a while. Who otherwise doesn't even run the entire game, and has the most pathetic fat shooting form I've seen for an athletic guy.

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by the Hawks?

Like its they're stuck in mediocracy

sunsfan88
03-18-2013, 10:11 PM
They are one legit center away from being a legit team. Put Horford at PF and a legit center and that's a nice squad.

Guppyfighter
03-18-2013, 10:14 PM
I like watching the Hawks play.

D-Leethal
03-18-2013, 10:20 PM
I concur with the OP. That franchise in general is just so bland. Nothing fresh or exciting ever out of Atlanta. I appreciate the games of Horford, Smith and Teague and I appreciate that they battle year after year but that franchise needs a top-down remodeling. Its not really the players fault. They just need a jolt of hype in the worst way and need to start tanking to get there.

ManRam
That's curious for sure.

ANd they don't need another big man, they need a slasher/scorer. And not the iso joe kind

ThuglifeJ
Not trying to hate btw. just me and others I know feel this way just seeing if it's a universal thing

ThaDubs
03-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Who the hell cares? They're pretty bad, but I don't get what you have against them.

bholly
03-18-2013, 10:29 PM
Mediocracy - governance by the mediocre?

Ferry's been there for like 6 months and has done pretty well. He's made a great move already in moving JJ, avoided at least one major mistake (at least so far) in not extending Smith, and it looks like they're 6 months in to what looks like it'll be a proper rebuild. Seems fine.

They have been the definition of mediocrity for some years now, and before that were the definition of awful, but you can't put either of those on the current guy in charge.

5ass
03-18-2013, 11:05 PM
They need to try to get either Tyreke Evans or Gerald Henderson, resign Korver, Smith, and sign Brandon Rush. If they do that they're probably top 4 in the east.
Teague/Evans
Evans/Korver
Rush/Korver
Smith/Evans
Horford/Zaza

Aapox
03-19-2013, 12:25 AM
But they have Ivan Johnson!!!

JasonJohnHorn
03-19-2013, 12:53 AM
They are stuck... I don't think it's a bad franchise exactly... but they are stuck in a rut, like the 76ers, Bucks, Trailblazers, Jazz.... they are a playoff team or almost playoff team, get decent records, but $#!T lotto picks and can't sing free agents.

Horford Smith and Johnson make a great core, but ATL doesn't make the kind of money to over pay them. So they move JJ and I'm guessing plan on letting Smith walk, which if they do, they might as well trade Horford, because they won't be able to build a team around him. He's a great guy to have, but he isn't a franchise player. He makes any team better, but he's just not enough.

If Smith walks in free agency, this team will be in rebuilding mode. They should have moved him before the deadline, that is the only bad move they made.

It's sad, because they have done a decent job of building a team, outside of a couple busts in the draft, but when the got a good core (Johnson/Smith/Horford) they couldn't afford to keep them. It's sad when teams regress because the ownership doesn't have the money to spend, but c'est la vie.

SoFreshNsoClean
03-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Tonight they just took out there starters with 6 MINUTES left and only down 15 points.. Just one of the many things this team does to prove mediocracy

-They've been a first round/ occasional second round exit every season never improve.
-I have no reason to hate Atlanta, but everytime the team I'm watching is heading there I know it's gonna be a snooze fest. This team has been the same team forever now, even with Joe Johnson they were so hard to watch.
-Their offense, their fans, their announcers all put you to sleep.

The best thing they get is a nice Josh Smith dunk every once in a while. Who otherwise doesn't even run the entire game, and has the most pathetic fat shooting form I've seen for an athletic guy.

Am I the only one who gets annoyed by the Hawks?

Like its they're stuck in mediocracy

I agree with this post.

Hawks def give me those vibes like you said. Can't say I disagree with anything you mentioned. Watching them play at times can be a real snoozer no joke...

albertajaysfan
03-19-2013, 01:19 AM

Ferry's been there for like 6 months and has done pretty well. He's made a great move already in moving JJ, avoided at least one major mistake (at least so far) in not extending Smith, and it looks like they're 6 months in to what looks like it'll be a proper rebuild. Seems fine.

They have been the definition of mediocrity for some years now, and before that were the definition of awful, but you can't put either of those on the current guy in charge.

Thank you for that. I was thinking about Idiocracy every time I read that word. A government policy perhaps?

*Silver&Black*
03-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Who the hell cares? They're pretty bad, but I don't get what you have against them.

Being 3rd or 4th best in the East for the last 5 or so years is bad?

To answer the OP, Anything from this season is a plus to me. I'm going to judge what this team looks like after the summer as Ferry had a plan trading Joe away. To say we overachieved is prob right, but us Hawks fans don't think losing Joe was going to drop us that bad and it shows. Teague just needs to be more consistent and figure out a way to get a legit center.

ThuglifeJ
03-19-2013, 02:16 AM

Mediocracy is in the urban dictionary now so.. it counts

and Im not putting anything on current coach glad they did SOMETHING what I'm getting at is they never do anything. The moves are just as bland as the play and atmosphere in ATL. They just run uncertain isos for each player. Non of them are Iso players yet they always set up for isos/post ups when they're very unskilled at it.

Sactown
03-19-2013, 02:20 AM
I'd rather be in the middle constantly than the bottom constantly like many teams...

ThuglifeJ
03-19-2013, 02:25 AM
Being 3rd or 4th best in the East for the last 5 or so years is bad?

To answer the OP, Anything from this season is a plus to me. I'm going to judge what this team looks like after the summer as Ferry had a plan trading Joe away. To say we overachieved is prob right, but us Hawks fans don't think losing Joe was going to drop us that bad and it shows. Teague just needs to be more consistent and figure out a way to get a legit center.

They're not bad. They're never BAD but they're never GOOD either. Like the time of team formed would be 'okay' if they had some flashy superstar to entertain and then exit first/second round. But I just feel like the current set up of a solid okay team who you know has zero chance of going all the way but is pretty solid is just unfortunate. Like I'd rather be a team with a promising rookie and building, or a legit title team, or a flashy superstar on low seed team then the Hawks.

at least it's not the Bucks actually. They're legit always stuck at 6-8th seed. Hawks are always stuck at 4-6 seed.

*Silver&Black*
03-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Like I'd rather be a team with a promising rookie and building, or a legit title team, or a flashy superstar on low seed team then the Hawks.

Oh I totally agree and one of the Hawks fans that have been wanting a rebuild for sometime now. But the problem with rebuilding and trying to find a superstar, is that everyone doesn't get the chance at a superstar. We had a chance with CP3, but that was poor decision making from 2 GMs ago who had some weird plan of making a team full of athletic 6'8/6'9 guys who can play all positions. Now that we have a respectable GM in Ferry, I feel better with the decision making and look forward to whatever he has in mind. I agree with everything you say about the team though, just have 2 ways of looking at it. I want to rebuild BUT only 1 team wins every year, so would I rather watch a good season of 45-50 wins or 20 wins every year hoping the team can someday be that 1 team.

ThuglifeJ
03-19-2013, 04:37 AM
No one else thought the pulling starters with 6 minutes left in the game was wierd?

Guppyfighter
03-19-2013, 04:40 AM
It's a regular season game and the playoffs are a lock for them. Who cares?

Meaze_Gibson
03-19-2013, 05:38 AM
Saw Hawks play Boston bout a week ago and I liked what i saw. Both Horford and Smith are great passers and the team looks to keep each other involved without egos. Teague is progressing, They compete every night. I just don't really see why people would rather a team tank to end up in the same position of mediocrity years down. remember, the only recent team that tanked to contender status was OKC.

Bravo95
03-19-2013, 07:59 AM
No one else thought the pulling starters with 6 minutes left in the game was wierd?
No because Larry Drew is a joke. Hawks haven't had a good coach since Lenny Wilkens, or a superstar since Nique.

But being in the playoff hunt with bunch of guys on expiring deals is far from "sad." That's for a team like Charlotte.

JiffyMix88
03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I'd rather be in the middle constantly than the bottom constantly like many teams...

As a Kings fan I'm sure you would lol

Chronz
03-19-2013, 11:06 AM
They are stuck... I don't think it's a bad franchise exactly... but they are stuck in a rut, like the 76ers, Bucks, Trailblazers, Jazz.... they are a playoff team or almost playoff team, get decent records, but $#!T lotto picks and can't sing free agents.

Horford Smith and Johnson make a great core, but ATL doesn't make the kind of money to over pay them. So they move JJ and I'm guessing plan on letting Smith walk, which if they do, they might as well trade Horford, because they won't be able to build a team around him. He's a great guy to have, but he isn't a franchise player. He makes any team better, but he's just not enough.

If Smith walks in free agency, this team will be in rebuilding mode. They should have moved him before the deadline, that is the only bad move they made.

It's sad, because they have done a decent job of building a team, outside of a couple busts in the draft, but when the got a good core (Johnson/Smith/Horford) they couldn't afford to keep them. It's sad when teams regress because the ownership doesn't have the money to spend, but c'est la vie.
I disagree entirely, with everything. Trading Horford would be the dumbest thing they can do.

mike44
03-19-2013, 11:34 AM

Disagree with this. Not many centers avg. 17 and 10 shooting 55% plus he is playing out of position. Would love to see Al get more shots and if Smith walks that is exactly what the Hawks will get. Teague is a really good piece too.

todu82
03-19-2013, 12:58 PM
And yet they're 5th in the conference and have been a consistent team for the past number of years.

maddBat
03-19-2013, 01:08 PM
shouldnt b that sad. got rid of their worst contract last season. they just better hope they dont make the same mistake again this offseason.