PDA

View Full Version : If both were free agents who would you take: James Harden or Carmelo Anthony?

JordansBulls
03-18-2013, 01:54 PM
If both were free agents and your franchise had the funds to get either player, who would you take: James Harden or Carmelo Anthony?

DanG
03-18-2013, 01:56 PM
Harden easily

younger
better

b@llhog24
03-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Harden, even if you don't believe he's better now (which is asinine) he's only gonna improve from here on out, while Melo is pretty much what he is at this point.

JiffyMix88
03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Harden easily

younger
better

Agreed

29$JerZ
03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Easily Harden.

blahblahyoutoo
03-18-2013, 02:11 PM
i'll take the hard on.

chicagocubsfan
03-18-2013, 02:13 PM
This seems like a stealth trolling thread.

ManRam
03-18-2013, 02:14 PM
Harden, even if you don't believe he's better now (which is asinine) he's only gonna improve from here on out, while Melo is pretty much what he is at this point.

"asinine" might be a bit harsh, though I do agree.

But Harden is the obvious answer. Oh how I would have loved to have had him in Orlando. If only OKC wanted to wait an extra year :sigh:

oak2455
03-18-2013, 02:17 PM
i'll take the hard on.

figured you would go that way........Harden, younger gotta take him

oak2455
03-18-2013, 02:18 PM

shocking in the NBA forum..........:rolleyes:

PhillyFaninLA
03-18-2013, 02:22 PM
No team will ever win a title (not counting a speciality team like team USA or an Allstar team) with Carmelo Anthony. I've said this before on this site....me first offensive oriented guys never win titles but often come close.

James Harden in a second.

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 02:26 PM
I think it's Harden and to me it's not even close

I think Harden is just about on the same level scoring wise, although I probably would say Mello is a little better at this point, but Harden get's his teammates involved more, is a better passer, and believe it or not is just as good as a rebounder

I've always thought Mello tends to be a little one dimensional, a pure scorer

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 02:28 PM

This isn't really directed torawrds you but it seems like every time a thread is made comparing two players or to that effect...someone alway's has to say "trolling, troll thread, etc"

It's a forum to discuss sports, people are going to disagree, not everything is about trolling

Some people need to give it a rest.....

AGAIN NOT DIRECTED AT YOU

Dade County
03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Melo!

Melo on the HEAT to play with his boys!

And if Melo does have a knee problem, he will join his brothers as soon as his contract is up (or the Knicks might buy him out). Either way, it's going to happen... They are not going to leave Melo with out a ring... NBA = Entertainment, so deal with it.

Lbj & Wade told Melo to sign the same contract as them (Bosh didn't turn down that opportunity)... So yeah Melo ****ed up.

strahan92osi72
03-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Melo easily.

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 02:33 PM
Melo easily.

Just curious what your reasoning is

ManningToTyree
03-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Harden

mjm07
03-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Harden, without a doubt.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
I'd roll with Melo.

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 02:50 PM
For people saying Mello, what's the thought process behind it?

Dade County
03-18-2013, 03:01 PM

I am thinking about his age and knee... I am thinking about Melo taking a discount to play with his brothers, and win a ring or 4. Also, i am thinking about Melo age and the dimensions of his game.

Melo!

And if Melo does have a knee problem, he will join his brothers as soon as his contract is up (or the Knicks might buy him out). Either way, it's going to happen... They are not going to leave Melo with out a ring... NBA = Entertainment, so deal with it.

Lbj & Wade told Melo to sign the same contract as them (Bosh didn't turn down that opportunity)... So yeah Melo ****ed up.

Matrix3132
03-18-2013, 03:05 PM
Melo!

Melo was never a free agent

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I am thinking about his age and knee... I am thinking about Melo taking a discount to play with his brothers, and win a ring or 4. Also, i am thinking about Melo age and the dimensions of his game.

Well if your talking about teaming him up with Bron and Wade at a discount, I completely understand

But I'm talking more about who's overall game is better and who you'd build a team around?

Tony_Starks
03-18-2013, 03:06 PM

I like his game better. He's proven that he can play big when it counts and in the playoffs is good for a minimum of one win almost singlehandedly.

Harden is putting up nice numbers but they're not exactly translating to wins. Also in the playoffs he can be hit or miss as seen by his disappearing act in the finals.

You're not winning a chip with either player as "the guy" but Id still go with Melo....

Matrix3132
03-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I like his game better. He's proven that he can play big when it counts and in the playoffs is good for a minimum of one win almost singlehandedly.

Harden is putting up nice numbers but they're not exactly translating to wins. Also in the playoffs he can be hit or miss as seen by his disappearing act in the finals.

You're not winning a chip with either player as "the guy" but Id still go with Melo....

In college maybe, has he even won a playoff series?

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 03:12 PM

I'll give you that he disappeared in the finals (even though all of OKC did for the most part) but he played extremely well for the rest of the playoffs, especially vs san antonio...they don't get by the spurs without Harden

Also, I really don't think Mello's playoff resume is all the impressive at this point anyway

But who do you think does a better job at making players around him better ? Mello or Harden

xxplayerxx23
Lol At the melo going to Miami :laugh: anyway I'd take harden, he is younger and going to contuine to be a star.

Dade County
Well if your talking about teaming him up with Bron and Wade at a discount, I completely understand

But I'm talking more about who's overall game is better and who you'd build a team around?

None of them!

Thats fools goal... Harden will never be able to get pass KD & West, and Melo game is not suited to take a team all the way and win it all, with him being the man ( I feel the same way about Harden too ).

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
None of them!

Thats fools goal... Harden will never be able to get pass KD & West, and Melo game is not suited to take a team all the way and win it all, with him being the man ( I feel the same way about Harden too ).

LOL I tend to agree

But for the sake of the thread's question..If I have to choose one to build around I'll take Harden

Dade County
03-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Lol At the melo going to Miami :laugh: anyway I'd take harden, he is younger and going to contuine to be a star.

Did you even try to factor in, why I said that?!...

If Melo would have listen to Wade and lbj about signing the same contract, coming off of their rookie contracts, who do you think would have teamed up with Wade and lbj? NOT BOSH!

And I also mentioned Melo knee situation, and him not being able to win a ring because of it.

I gave a reason, but all you did was lol'ed... I don't blame you, I am a HEAT fan, so your 1st instinct is too dismiss and bash.

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 03:22 PM

If Melo would have listen to Wade and lbj about signing the same contract, coming off of their rookie contracts, who do you think would have teamed up with Wade and lbj? NOT BOSH!

And I also mentioned Melo knee situation, and him not being able to win a ring because of it.

I gave a reason, but all you did was lol'ed... I don't blame you, I am a HEAT fan, so your 1st instinct is too dismiss and bash.

I think it worked out better with Bosh though...I think he's a better fit than Mello would of been

ChiSox219
03-18-2013, 03:23 PM
It is amazing what Harden has done with no preseason and little talent surrounding him. The Rockets then dealt their two best PFs to get younger and in the short term worse but Harden hasnt skipped a beat, he's actually getting better as the season goes on.

Dude said Harden's game doesnt translate to wins... clearly has missed this Rockets season.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
I'll give you that he disappeared in the finals (even though all of OKC did for the
most part) but he played extremely well for the rest of the playoffs, especially vs san antonio...they don't get by the spurs without Harden

Also, I really don't think Mello's playoff resume is all the impressive at this point anyway

But who do you think does a better job at making players around him better ? Mello or Harden

Probably Harden. But if Im down a bucket in a close game I'd prefer Melo.

xxplayerxx23
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM

:laugh: how clueless can you get. You think melo would take a penny less lol. You have Dwight in a heat jersey. Stop it Miami has bosh because they wanted him, no way melo goes anywhere near the heat.

Dade County
03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
LOL I tend to agree

But for the sake of the thread's question..If I have to choose one to build around I'll take Harden

Let me put it like this... I would sign whoever would get me the most money, when I package my franchise to a sucker billionaire thinking he can actually win with any one of them (as being the man).

I'm sorry thats the best I can do.

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Probably Harden. But if Im down a bucket in a close game I'd prefer Melo.

I can see that either way, I think Mello is the better pure scorer so I can see that

Personally, I'd take Harden because he can score close to the level of mello but can also create a shot for a teammate

But I can see that argument either way

2-ONE-5
03-18-2013, 03:30 PM
i am thinking about his age and knee... I am thinking about melo taking a discount to play with his brothers, and win a ring or 4. Also, i am thinking about melo age and the dimensions of his game.

get real

Dade County
03-18-2013, 03:31 PM
:laugh: how clueless can you get. You think melo would take a penny less lol. You have Dwight in a heat jersey. Stop it Miami has bosh because they wanted him, no way melo goes anywhere near the heat.

ok...

I believe after Melo contract is up, and if he does really have a knee problem... He will not get another max contract.

And he is not going to want to finish his career ring less, so if he would take a discount, it would be with only one team... The team that his brothers play on.

But realistically speaking, Melo knee most likely will be fine and he will get another max contract from another team.

I think it worked out better with Bosh though...I think he's a better fit than Mello would of been

I agree.

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
get real

I don't think he ever said it'd happen....

I think he was looking at it from his team's perspective and seeing which of the two his team would have the best shot at signing

Considering both are unrealistic options in Miami, he went with as logical as a theory as he could come up with

I don't think he ever said this will happen

xxplayerxx23
03-18-2013, 03:36 PM
ok...

I believe after Melo contract is up, and if he does really have a knee problem... He will not get another max contract.

And he is not going to want to finish his career ring less, so if he would take a discount, it would be with only one team... The team that his brothers play on.

But realistically speaking, Melo knee most likely will be fine and he will get another max contract from another team.

I agree.

Or maybe just maybe Melos knee is fine. He's fine and he wouldn't take the MLE to sign with the heat lol. He will resign with ny hopefully if not he moves on to another team with cap space.

NYCkid12
03-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Or maybe just maybe Melos knee is fine. He's fine and he wouldn't take the MLE to sign with the heat lol. He will resign with ny hopefully if not he moves on to another team with cap space.

I believe he said that in his post ....

GiantsSwaGG
03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Harden easily

aman_13
03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Harden

smood999
03-18-2013, 03:51 PM
I'd go Harden...but I will say that I think Melo is being unfairly judged...

look at the Knicks without him, if that doesn't show the job he's done this season with them idk what will....look at his Nuggets teams compared to the other west teams...

he's lost in the first round every yr except one, but there was maybe only one series that you thought he should've won and that's the last Utah series...the others the Nuggets had very little chance...just ask did he have as much around him like Nash and Amare's Suns, Kobe Shaq lakers...Kobe Gasol Bynum lakers...Spurs...TMac Yao...D Wills Okur Boozer AK47...Dallas...truth is those Nugget teams overachieved in the reg season when the other teams in the West were taken into consideration and the Knicks have had their 2 best seasons in over a decade since Melo joined

and as far as the Knicks brief playoff runs...lost to the Celtics (no Billups, Amare back issues)...and of course lost to MIA, not to mention the numerous injuries that happened prior and during that series...

I guess it's all his fault and he'll never be able to win since he's never played with someone close to his level like other "stars"...LeBron's Cleveland teams aside and CP3 Hornet's teams as well...Melo has done well with what he's had to work with...not saying he's as good as these players...just saying he's unfairly judged at times

GiantsSwaGG
03-18-2013, 03:54 PM
LeBron lead a team filled with back ups to the nba finals, Melo hasn't plus he's a quitter

smood999
03-18-2013, 04:22 PM
LeBron lead a team filled with back ups to the nba finals, Melo hasn't plus he's a quitter

few things wrong with this 1) It would've never happened in the West...2)Melo isn't LeBron, no one is...3)Harden isn't LeBron either

I get you're a bitter Knick fan cause Melo came and he was suppose to lead the Knicks to a championship or at least close...1)delusional thought considering the supporting cast

2)did you forget how bad the Knicks were before? No, you shouldn't want to settle for this but considering the makeup of the team, you should be happy that they are having the best season in over a decade

3)without Melo, the Knicks as constructed are one of the worst teams in the league...swap Melo out for someone else (not Durant, not LeBron) and the results will be similar and NY fans being the fans they are will not appreciate anything and will hate that person as well....just look at Ewing and how fans treated him...the 2nd best player on those teams was arguably John Starks and Knick fans killed Ewing...

I'll assume you're a Giants fan...remember when Giant fans wanted Eli gone and Coughlin fired...then in that same yr the Giants won the Super Bowl...it's just the typical makeup of NY fanbases

Chronz
03-18-2013, 04:24 PM

Everything u said holds true for Melo. His hit or miss style.

LOOTERX9
03-18-2013, 04:26 PM
Looking at both harden's and melo's skill set i'd have to take Harden easily. Harden is more athletic, quicker, better playmaker for others and just as good of a scorer while also getting assists. Melo is too one dimensional, he's good but i'm taking the more versatile Harden at this point

OceanSpray
03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
The way I see it, Melo is a huge hit or miss. Harden on the other hand can lead a team. Sorry, Melo is a terrible leader while Harden is leading a mediocre team to the playoffs.

king4day
03-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I'd go with Melo as long as we're talking fully healthy. Age aside, neither is great defensively but Anthony's height is a big advantage. If Lebron wasn't in this league to compare other players to, I think we'd be having KD/Melo comparisons for best player in the league.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Harden easily

younger
better

Yup.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-18-2013, 04:33 PM
Lol @ the 8 NY fans

Jenceman
03-18-2013, 04:34 PM
It is amazing what Harden has done with no preseason and little talent surrounding him. The Rockets then dealt their two best PFs to get younger and in the short term worse but Harden hasnt skipped a beat, he's actually getting better as the season goes on.

Dude said Harden's game doesnt translate to wins... clearly has missed this Rockets season.

I don't know about that. Harden's got some serious young talent around him IMO. Parsons is going to be a borderline all- star player year in and year out. Lin is a good starting PG, he's gotten better as the season has gone on, and Asik gives you the rebounding/defensive center you need nowadays. Plus they just got a top-5 rookie pick in T-Rob. If he develops, along with slight development from the other players, that's a championship calibre starting unit.

heyman321
03-18-2013, 04:35 PM
harden is better by far. he aint just a chucker.

Blitzace137
03-18-2013, 05:01 PM
I watch both of them on a contestant bases and I would take Harden without a doubt. He's a better playmaker, gets to the FT line at will and a knock down shooter. Melo is a knock down shooter but that's about it and can get you points at any point in the game but Hardens games translates better for four quarters. If I needed a guy in the last two minutes of a game give me Melo or Kobe but basketball is a four quarter game.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2013, 05:47 PM
You can't go wrong with either choice but people are sleeping on Melos body of work. Took Denver to multiple playoff trips since he was a rookie and even a WCF in a stacked West. Nobody was beating the Lakers at that time so i can't exactly knock him for losing.

Also had the older Knicks looking like a serious threat this season w/o Amare before multiple injuries set in....

bucketss
03-18-2013, 06:16 PM
harden easily.. surprising to see some knick fans bagging on melo though.

Sandman
03-18-2013, 06:18 PM
No team will ever win a title (not counting a speciality team like team USA or an Allstar team) with Carmelo Anthony. I've said this before on this site....me first offensive oriented guys never win titles but often come close.

James Harden in a second.
Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant :hide:

Seriously though, I think this angle is played out. Anybody can win with the right team around them, and nobody can win without the right team around them. Before you jump on me -- Obviously Michael provided a lot more than Carmelo on the defensive side of the floor but there's no reason other teammates cant fill that void.

Look at the support that guys like Melo or Iverson or McGrady compared to others that have won. Not only would better support help pick up slack, but it would also take away from the high volume. These guys put up 15-20 shots a game because, first of all, they can -- it takes a lot to be able to execute when they know you're going to get the ball, and second because their teams NEED them to.

Look at where Bryant was in those in between years -- is it not an identical situation?

All that said its Harden and its a no brainer. Melo's like 28 and has bad knees. Harden looks to have a great career ahead of him. Better question would be Melo vs. Harden at the same age. Much tougher.

WARRIORS@GR
03-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Harden by a mile..
And yes,harden disappeared in THE NBA FINALS against the best team in the league the last two years,AT AGE 22.how is that so bad?

torocan
03-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Not really a fair question. Harden is 23 and already this good. Melo is a veteran in his prime who may or may not have health issues in the future.

That said, Harden's passing game gives him a dimension that Melo just doesn't show consistently enough.

A more fair question would be whether you take Melo at 23 or Harden at 23... that's a lot tougher.

Bishnoff
03-18-2013, 06:41 PM
For the Suns I'd pick Harden, based mainly on our needs (scoring SG).

justinnum1
03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
Harden and it's not even close.

TheLegend
03-18-2013, 07:04 PM
This would depend on my coach. If Phil, Pop, or Sloan the coach, I'm taking melo because they would know how to get his head right in the game on a mental level. If someone like Mike Woodson, Spo, or D'Antoni the coach, then Harden.

LongIslandIcedZ
03-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Harden, although that isnt too much of a slight on Melo.

Harden is right near the top of the list of guys I would build a team around. Such efficient scoring and the ability to get to the line.

JordansBulls
03-19-2013, 06:28 PM

What the hell does Lebron have to do with a Melo and Harden thread?

SportsFanatic10
03-19-2013, 06:40 PM
harden without hesitation.

OceanSpray
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Not really a fair question. Harden is 23 and already this good. Melo is a veteran in his prime who may or may not have health issues in the future.

That said, Harden's passing game gives him a dimension that Melo just doesn't show consistently enough.

A more fair question would be whether you take Melo at 23 or Harden at 23... that's a lot tougher.

I'll still take Harden because he's more mature and can lead a team. I've yet to see Melo step up when needed. In every team he has been, he's rarely had that leadership authority.

ChiSox219
03-19-2013, 10:57 PM
I don't know about that. Harden's got some serious young talent around him IMO. Parsons is going to be a borderline all- star player year in and year out. Lin is a good starting PG, he's gotten better as the season has gone on, and Asik gives you the rebounding/defensive center you need nowadays. Plus they just got a top-5 rookie pick in T-Rob. If he develops, along with slight development from the other players, that's a championship calibre starting unit.

The Rockets do have a lot of promising talent but right now a lot of those guys are beneficiaries of Harden.

I'm not convinced Lin is a starting PG but he has a nice skill set with potential. I don't think his game particularly helps Harden much and the Rockets have been significantly better with Lin off the court than on, at least statistically as the Rockets Offense Rating improves by 3.6. I do have to credit Lin for not dominating the ball and knowing when to defer to Harden. Asik has a limited offensive game with some shaky hands but Harden is breaking down defenses and getting Asik good looks coming off the PnR. Synergy ranks Asik 224th on offense, while Lin ranks 257th, yet the Rockets offense is 4th best in the league.

I agree with Parsons being borderline all-star but that's maybe a year or two away. Over 60% of his plays are coming in spot up/fastbreak situations and the looks he gets are often uncontested because Harden breaks down defenses so well.

Patterson was nice for them but he's gone and Harden's actually playing better. Greg Smith is a monster in the PnR but still has a lot of room to improve. Thomas Robinson hasn't done anything yet but I agree he's got a bright future. Gotta mention Delfino he's been a good pickup.

DallasTrilla23
03-20-2013, 12:56 AM
I'd take harden.

Melo is a better player and scorer right now but I think he's reached his ceiling.

Harden can only improve and he's a better distributor.

jp611
03-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Harden... Not even close

Younger
More efficient
Better
Healthier
Better

Vinny642
03-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Harden.....

JayHunter
03-20-2013, 01:36 AM
Harden By A Mile

TheNumber37
03-20-2013, 01:47 AM
Harden is way younger, it's not even a tough choice.

Harden or Rose would be a better debate.

RollingWave
03-20-2013, 07:16 AM
The Rockets do have a lot of promising talent but right now a lot of those guys are beneficiaries of Harden.

I'm not convinced Lin is a starting PG but he has a nice skill set with potential. I don't think his game particularly helps Harden much and the Rockets have been significantly better with Lin off the court than on, at least statistically as the Rockets Offense Rating improves by 3.6. I do have to credit Lin for not dominating the ball and knowing when to defer to Harden. Asik has a limited offensive game with some shaky hands but Harden is breaking down defenses and getting Asik good looks coming off the PnR. Synergy ranks Asik 224th on offense, while Lin ranks 257th, yet the Rockets offense is 4th best in the league.

I agree with Parsons being borderline all-star but that's maybe a year or two away. Over 60% of his plays are coming in spot up/fastbreak situations and the looks he gets are often uncontested because Harden breaks down defenses so well.

Patterson was nice for them but he's gone and Harden's actually playing better. Greg Smith is a monster in the PnR but still has a lot of room to improve. Thomas Robinson hasn't done anything yet but I agree he's got a bright future. Gotta mention Delfino he's been a good pickup.
Lin's skill set seem to conflict with Harden's a bit too much, though to his credit he is becoming a significantly better spot up shooter as the months rolled on this year, which helps, since that's basically his role when Harden starts the play.

Yeah Smith is probably the best PnR big on the team, so it's strange that the team don't play him more, I guess the logic is that he's not very good on the break and he doesn't have a jumper. and he's too small to be the 1 big on a 1 big 4 small setup.

Rockets have some interesting lineup potential that they aren't trying too much. (like Lin + Smith more.) I guess it's the problem of who they DON'T Have, which is mainly that they have so little option outside of Asik as the main big that they need to base almost all the rotation on that .

But at the end of the day, teams need to set it up to get the most out of the whole group, and not just the individual player, which probably is why the Rockets do some eyebrow raising rotation at times. It seems that Lin and Smith isn't being used to the max of their ability with this current setup though. but that's probably because this setup gets the most out of Harden and Asik.

We'll see on Lin, if you believe that his monthly improvements are real, then the signs have been quite encouraging, considering that he's shooting nearly 40% from 3 in the last month + . that's a HUGE difference from his sub 30% shooting in the first month.

The interesting thing watching the Rockets is that they don't' do a lot of GOOD pick and rolls, most of it are half arsed once that results in a half drive and kick out to corner 3 (or Harden trying to draw fouls). not many results in direct drive to the basket or dunks for the roll guy. I think this is mostly due to Asik being a rather limited PnR guy, especially on the roll part, that teams know they don't need to focus THAT much on him.

I guess the key here is that they need Montejunas or Robinson to become reliably good, both showed some flashes (mostly D-Mo) but then also showed a lot of horrific disasters as well.

RollingWave
03-20-2013, 07:25 AM
As for Melo, maybe one day he'll learn, but right now he really is a ball hog that doesn't make his teammates better, he showed flashes the he turned a corner early in the season but now that seems mostly gone, and he's not very healthy which doesn't help either.

Fun stat. leaders in USG% among players with significant time this season

1. Melo : 34.2
2 Westbrook : 32.3
3. Kobe : 32.0
4. Durant : 30.0
5. Lebron : 30.0
6. Irving : 29.8
7. Gordon (Eric) : 29.4
8. Harden : 28.7

Of this group, only Lebron / Durant / Harden have a True shooting percentage over 60%

Melo's like a less healthy and less defense Westbrook at this point, that's obviously a problem when he's your alpha dog and don't have another similar caliber player to go with him, (well Chandler's close, but the two's skill set don't compliment each other too well.) they tried to surround him with good catch and shoot guys, and that's worked to an extend, except that most of those guys can't defend and that this system has no second option when Melo's not on the floor (and he's not on the floor a lot.)

LeperMessiah
03-20-2013, 07:37 AM
The obvious choice.

c.c.
03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Harden duh!!!

He115ing
03-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Harden of course. He can do so much more other than scoring. Great court vision, good rebounder, solid defender, and he is young.

Melo just puts up the buckets.

3RDASYSTEM
03-20-2013, 10:21 AM
Step up you bball educational game

1 player been in league for a decade and the other going on like his 4th yr or so?

1 player could actually be the face of the league, for good or bad(as seen with MELO drama in DEN), while the other player had to be traded to show his true value

MELO showed his by being robbed ROY(yea bigtime) after leading his lottery squad to playoffs in tough WEST day1, offtop

if we talking now you always go with the youth, especially since HARDEN aint no slouch, but hes no MELO

Quietmoney
03-20-2013, 10:51 AM
you guys cant be serious! Harden over Melo?? I saw the Thunder lose to Miami in 5 with Harden. Put Melo on that team and there's no way in hell the Thunder lose to the Heat!

Quietmoney
03-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Melo is a pure beast! Most complete skill set offensively in the league.

ThaDubs
03-20-2013, 11:05 AM
James Harden because he's younger and arguably better already.

ThaDubs
03-20-2013, 11:05 AM
you guys cant be serious! Harden over Melo?? I saw the Thunder lose to Miami in 5 with Harden. Put Melo on that team and there's no way in hell the Thunder lose to the Heat!

Yeah they do if he comes off the bench like Harden did.

RollingWave
03-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Well we'd never know since unlike Harden, Melo's never sniffed the finals ;)

Utd7
03-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Harden for obvious reasons.

LaLa_Land
03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Based on how I personally think a championship team should be built, Melo could be a centerpiece for 5-7 years. His style of play is conducive to longevity (similar to Kobe/MJ) in the sense that he doesn't rely on athleticism that much at all. He is a bull on the blocks, he is physically big/strong, and now he's a dead-eye 3-point shooter with a pretty good clutch gene. I think he'll be averaging 20+ for as long as he wants to play - as long as he maintains adequate conditioning.

If you put him next a big-time center and a defensive minded point guard, I believe you have a contender. NYK's PG play has been inconsistent this year, and J.R. doesn't play well with Melo for obvious reasons - they are both ball dominant so when one has the the ball, the other is just standing around for the most part. But they are out there together for 30+ mpg.

In a theoretical sense - to maximize his style of play, my ideal hypothetical scenario would be to surround Melo with guys like this:

PG - Avery Bradley
SG - Jared Dudley
MELO
PF - Hickson/Bass
C - Joakim Noah or Larry Sanders

ChiSox219
03-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Based on how I personally think a championship team should be built, Melo could be a centerpiece for 5-7 years. His style of play is conducive to longevity (similar to Kobe/MJ) in the sense that he doesn't rely on athleticism that much at all. He is a bull on the blocks, he is physically big/strong, and now he's a dead-eye 3-point shooter with a pretty good clutch gene. I think he'll be averaging 20+ for as long as he wants to play - as long as he maintains adequate conditioning.

If you put him next a big-time center and a defensive minded point guard, I believe you have a contender. NYK's PG play has been inconsistent this year, and J.R. doesn't play well with Melo for obvious reasons - they are both ball dominant so when one has the the ball, the other is just standing around for the most part. But they are out there together for 30+ mpg.

In a theoretical sense - to maximize his style of play, my ideal hypothetical scenario would be to surround Melo with guys like this:

PG - Avery Bradley
SG - Jared Dudley
MELO
PF - Hickson/Bass
C - Joakim Noah or Larry Sanders

You can put any type of players around Harden and he'll find a way to succeed.

Stinkyoutsider
03-20-2013, 01:21 PM
I take Harden because he can do more for your team imo. Melo is one of the best scorers in the league but I think that he needs a playmaker who's going to get him the ball to be at his best. Harden doesn't mind making plays for other guys so he'll be able to get his shots whenever he wants.