PDA

View Full Version : Bigger Accomplishment For Heat.....

GroundAttack25
03-18-2013, 09:38 AM
Breaking the win streak of 33 games or winning the title this year? Jeff Van Gundy made a comment saying he would like to break the record instead of winning the title. It's all about winning the title IMO. If you ask LeBron this question, I'll feel that he will feel disrespected. Thoughts?

ATX
03-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Winning the title

OF COURSE

ManRam
03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Winning the title should and probably is the more important thing for them.

But breaking the win streak is certainly a much more rare/tougher task. It's more impressive, but less important.

GroundAttack25
03-18-2013, 09:47 AM
It'll be great if they break the record and win the title this year. Personally, no one is slowing them down. Boston has a shot tonight.

ATX
03-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Breaking that over 4 decade old record would be one whale of an accomplishment, but winning the title is paramont to winning streaks. Titles are the supreme measuring stick for team success. Now winning 16 straight in the playoffs...

Swashcuff
03-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Ask the Patriots.

LAKobeBryant
03-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Another heat streak thread

hidalgo
03-18-2013, 11:35 AM
the championship by far means more. the 33 or 34 wins straight means very little without getting the championship. Van Gundy is dead wrong here. he probably doesn't believe what he said though, & just said it for tv drama

Pierzynski4Prez
03-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Van Gundy said some outlandishly stupid things sometimes.

DumDum
03-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Breaking the win streak of 33 games or winning the title this year? Jeff Van Gundy made a comment saying he would like to break the record instead of winning the title. It's all about winning the title IMO. If you ask LeBron this question, I'll feel that he will feel disrespected. Thoughts?

the champion but they have a shot for both boom thread done chicken dinner :shush:

72 Wins
03-18-2013, 11:58 AM
Van Gundy said some outlandishly stupid things sometimes.

Van Gundy ALWAYS says something stupid. Not sure if he does it for shock value, or if he's really an idiot.

Chronz
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
I think you guys misunderstood Van Gundy.

JasonJohnHorn
03-18-2013, 12:30 PM
The thing is, if they don't win the title, but DO break the record, they are in the record books. With a win over Boston they will already have done something that hasn't been done in 40 years, but if they break LAL's record, they will be remembered for ever as the team with the longest winning streak.

I think winning the championship is more important, but history shows that the team will be remembered for the records they set. the bull 72 win season and the Laker's 33-game win steak are things people still talk about to this day. Had those teams lost the championship, people would still remember them, but being as how they were good enough to set such impressive records, they obviously were good enough to win it all.

I think every teams' goal should be to win 82 games in the regular season and 16 in the post season. I don't think that teams should rest healthy players unless there is a risk for injury. Jackson could have rested players at the end of the season in 96, but he didn't, he knew how important history was and he knew making history would give them an edge in the playoffs.

Creating an atmosphere where consistent excellence is present helps you win a championship. This win-streak is important. Resting guys for the playoffs is not an option in my book unless there is a health issue (sore knee/ankle/joint/sprain ect).

Winning as many games as possible and setting a high bar of excellence is part of what makes a championship team.

The title is the ultimate goal. And loss before a championship can be mitigated with that title, so if they don't win the streak but do win the title, no big deal. But illustrating their excellence by setting the bar so high shows the rest of the league what they are capable of.

Both are very important.