PDA

View Full Version : Mark Cuban: I'll boo Derek Fisher

JerseyPalahniuk
03-17-2013, 08:41 PM
DALLAS -- Mavericks owner Mark Cuban vowed to give Derek Fisher a villain's welcome during the 38-year-old point guard's return to Dallas.

Fisher signed with the Oklahoma City Thunder in late February, approximately two months after the Mavs granted his request to be released, purportedly because the 17-year veteran missed his family. Cuban was admittedly agitated by Fisher's decision to return to the NBA without at least discussing the situation with him.

My personality is to try to help somebody, particularly somebody that I thought one thing about, even if it didn't turn out to be that way. So I was just trying to be nice and help. Usually when you help somebody, you expect at least some semblance of loyalty back. When you don't get it, then it's more disappointing. With his history, I shouldn't have been surprised what happened.

-- Mark Cuban on Derek Fisher
While Fisher expressed a fondness for Cuban and others in the Mavs' organization before Sunday night's game at the American Airlines Center, that feeling isn't mutual, at least as far as Cuban is concerned.

"I'll just boo him like hopefully everybody else," Cuban said.

After Fisher signed with the Thunder, Cuban reacted with sarcasm, mockingly saying that Fisher's kids had grown up a lot in 65 days and that it was much easier to fly in and out of Oklahoma City than Dallas. On Sunday night, Cuban directly questioned Fisher's integrity.

"I took the bait," Cuban said. "The lies that were behind it, I don't know."

Cuban said he was particularly perturbed by Fisher's decision to join a contender after quitting on the Mavs because the five-time NBA champion repeatedly reached out to Cuban when Fisher was unemployed at the beginning of the season. He said he offered Fisher personal advice and fell for the point guard's pitch, prompting the Mavs to sign him.

"My personality is to try to help somebody, particularly somebody that I thought one thing about, even if it didn't turn out to be that way," Cuban said. "So I was just trying to be nice and help. Usually when you help somebody, you expect at least some semblance of loyalty back. When you don't get it, then it's more disappointing.

"With his history, I shouldn't have been surprised what happened."

Fisher's release from the Mavs marked the third time since 2007 that he was able to nullify his contract. The Houston Rockets bought out his deal last March after he was traded to Houston from the Lakers. In 2007, Fisher gave up around $8 million from the Utah Jazz to sign with the Lakers so his family could be closer to the doctors who were treating his daughter for a rare form of eye cancer.

The Mavs were 5-4 during Fisher's short Dallas tenure. He averaged 8.6 points and 3.4 assists in 25.4 minutes in those nine games, replacing Darren Collison as the Mavs' starting point guard.

What do you think of this Fisher fiasco?

ManRam
03-17-2013, 08:43 PM
I think Cuban has every right to boo Fisher.

Avenged
03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Well good for him. Both parties aren't losing any sleep over this.

LeperMessiah
03-17-2013, 11:46 PM
With the money he has, he can sling poop at him.

Mr_Jones
03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
I don't like what Fisher did. Pretty fudged up.

SportsFanatic10
03-17-2013, 11:48 PM
yeah he's just being honest, fisher deserves it for what he pulled.

DoMeFavors
03-18-2013, 01:33 AM
My question is why is this guy still in the league? and acts like he was ever an all star player to be able to sign with contenders? never seen a role player with the ego is this guy. Him crying after that game agianst Boston deserved an oscar. Derek Fisher is a fraud. He deserves to never play basketball again.

Kuya_Clive
03-18-2013, 01:37 AM
He deserves it IMO. Basically using personal life to get outta teams you don't like is ********. He should have just stayed retired.

UPRock
03-18-2013, 01:44 AM
Well he sucks, I don't know what's the big problem of this :confused:. Both teams fighting for a ****** point guard, smh.

mikekhelxD
03-18-2013, 01:50 AM
Well he sucks, I don't know what's the big problem of this :confused:. Both teams fighting for a ****** point guard, smh.

Lol. Maybe you just didn't get what Cuban is fussing about.

The goods
03-18-2013, 02:38 AM
I'd be upset to boo away Cuban

gotoHcarolina52
03-18-2013, 02:57 AM
No one named Fisher can be trusted. Not Bobby Fischer, not Derek Fisher, not Jeff Fisher, not even the mother ****ing Gorton's Fisherman.

**** all the Fishers.

LakersMaster24
03-18-2013, 03:10 AM
Fisher is not a "good guy", even though he comes off as one.

Mr_Amaziing
03-18-2013, 03:15 AM
Fisher > Cuban

John Walls Era
03-18-2013, 05:16 AM
Probably just wanted to motivate the team. It almost worked.