PDA

View Full Version : Does Kobe's legacy mean too much to him?

el hidalgo
03-17-2013, 04:17 PM
After this past Lakers game, I'm convinced all Kobe cares about is furthering his legacy and reputation. Why would he play in the game when he is completely ineffective? Not only that, but he risked in injuring himself further and ruining the Lakers championship hopes. IMO, he just played because he loves his reputation of being a gritty, tough as nails player. There was absolutely NO reason for him to play in the game. He was not helping his team, and he could have ruined their championship hopes. It disappoints me to see a player care about surpassing Jordan's legacy so badly. The Lakers could do damage in the playoffs. Just sit out and let it heal. You know you wouldn't help the team Kobe. He probably just wanted one more story to prove his "toughness."

I'm not trying to bait here. I sincerely believe this. Delete it if you think this is too much. Does anybody else think he cares about his legacy and reputation a bit too much?

D12 fan
03-17-2013, 04:21 PM
Kobe Haters in 5,4,3,2,1...

KnicksorBust
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
For a player like Kobe, he'll always believe that playing at even 60% he's going to still be effective and drop 20. Plus he's hyper-competitive and if you feel healthy enough to play you aren't going to want to just sit. In fairnes they realized he wasn't playing well and so he went to the bench and cheered on his team.

el hidalgo
03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
For a player like Kobe, he'll always believe that playing at even 60% he's going to still be effective and drop 20. Plus he's hyper-competitive and if you feel healthy enough to play you aren't going to want to just sit. In fairnes they realized he wasn't playing well and so he went to the bench and cheered on his team.

he wasn't at 60%. he was well below it. he was completely ineffective. imo, kobe just wants his own "flu game" so that he can compare to jordan.

zB_#85
03-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Lakers and Kobe fan here. Yes he cares way too much but that's what also drives him to still bless us with greatness 17 years later. Also, championship hopes? I don't think we realistically have those. Even if we lucked our way through the west matchup wise ( I highly doubt ) there's some team in Florida looking unbeatable right now.

MetroMan
03-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Can you make one thread that isn't about kobe man?

el hidalgo
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Lakers and Kobe fan here. Yes he cares way too much but that's what also drives him to still bless us with greatness 17 years later. Also, championship hopes? I don't think we realistically have those. Even if we lucked our way through the west matchup wise ( I highly doubt ) there's some team in Florida looking unbeatable right now.

im never going to count out a team with nash, howard, gasol, and kobe (as long as he is playing unselfishly). anything can happen come playoff time. dwight and pau are a huge mismatch for the heat.

MetroMan
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM
If your saying kobe shouldn't be playing injured, I concur with that. His reasoning to play was to fuel his team to a win, his the corner stone of the team and wanted to inspire his struggling team to play with out its leader. Nothing wrong with that

MetroMan
03-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Kobe's team is in a weird predicament, it seems as no one is trying at times. Kobe wanted to send his team a message, even when his at 10% he will go out there and give you all he got. He wants it to rub off on his teammates.

P.S if this was any other player people would be praising him for doing this, it's just cause its kobe there's something wrong with it

KnicksorBust
03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
he wasn't at 60%. he was well below it. he was completely ineffective. imo, kobe just wants his own "flu game" so that he can compare to jordan.

I think you are reading way too much into that. I doubt he was thinking "I need to impress people to make them think I'm like Jordan." More likely he was just thinking "Damn if I miss this game we could lose and let the Jazz catch up." The urgency of keeping the Lakers in the playoffs is much more significant. That game wasn't going to change his legacy.

ManRam
03-17-2013, 04:32 PM
no

zB_#85
03-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Kobe's team is in a weird predicament, it seems as no one is trying at times. Kobe wanted to send his team a message, even when his at 10% he will go out there and give you all he got. He wants it to rub off on his teammates.

P.S if this was any other player people would be praising him for doing this, it's just cause its kobe there's something wrong with it

Nailed it. He had to set that example, especially after basically publicly saying he expected Dwight to play through his shoulder deal.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his playing since that was his reason and Mike D must have been on the same page since he sat him pretty quickly.

Mr_Jones
03-17-2013, 04:39 PM
After this past Lakers game, I'm convinced all Kobe cares about is furthering his legacy and reputation. Why would he play in the game when he is completely ineffective? Not only that, but he risked in injuring himself further and ruining the Lakers championship hopes. IMO, he just played because he loves his reputation of being a gritty, tough as nails player. There was absolutely NO reason for him to play in the game. He was not helping his team, and he could have ruined their championship hopes. It disappoints me to see a player care about surpassing Jordan's legacy so badly. The Lakers could do damage in the playoffs. Just sit out and let it heal. You know you wouldn't help the team Kobe. He probably just wanted one more story to prove his "toughness."

I'm not trying to bait here. I sincerely believe this. Delete it if you think this is too much. Does anybody else think he cares about his legacy and reputation a bit too much?

Which is why this is sad.

BKdoubleStacker
03-17-2013, 04:42 PM
obvious bait thread by obvious troll

and people complain and wonder why so many kobe and laker threads surface

Tony_Starks
03-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Kobe is just a competitor man. It wouldn't shock me if he played today. I doubt he's worried about his legacy though, he can never play another game and still be one of the greatest ever.

He's worried about the playoffs.

lakers4sho
03-17-2013, 04:53 PM
you're still alive?

el hidalgo
03-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Nailed it. He had to set that example, especially after basically publicly saying he expected Dwight to play through his shoulder deal.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his playing since that was his reason and Mike D must have been on the same page since he sat him pretty quickly.

playing like crap because you are clearly unfit to play is inspiring?

LAKobeBryant
03-17-2013, 05:32 PM

lmao

Jimmer55
03-17-2013, 06:13 PM
I'd MUCH rather a player CARE and PLAY. Kobe is the LAST of the old-school mentality. Kobe is the TOUGHEST SOB in the game today. I wish he played in the 80s.

LA4life24/8
03-17-2013, 06:21 PM
If your saying kobe shouldn't be playing injured, I concur with that. His reasoning to play was to fuel his team to a win, his the corner stone of the team and wanted to inspire his struggling team to play with out its leader. Nothing wrong with that

this period. yes kobe probably does care about his legacy too much, but idc, its his drive, it makes him work harder than everyone else in the league STILL, but with him being out there the focus switched to him for probably the entire ( 12 minutes it was?) time he was on the court and it made them have to restrategize and i think it helped throw them off, the pacers are a damn good team this year, and the lakers (basically) minus kobe AND pau still were able to beat them

Avenged
03-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Yeah it means too much to him. So? It's not a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Vinylman
03-17-2013, 06:46 PM
The real question is whether El Hidalgo is concerned about his legacy as a kobe hater and NBA forum baiter/troll legend

I think so, why else would he start these threads...

However, its ok dude... your legacy as a hater is secure :clap:

LAcowBOMBER
03-17-2013, 06:48 PM
I don't think he is worried about his legacy in this case. I doubt anyone is going to remember that regular season game 10 years from now.

Kobe doesn't need his "flu game." He played an entire season with a messed up finger, he played in the playoffs against the Kings with food poisoning, he has done countless things to show he can shine when injured or sick, this one regular season game isn't going to impact that legacy one way or the other.

el hidalgo
03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Yeah it means too much to him. So? It's not a bad thing. :rolleyes:

when it becomes detrimental to the team, like in this case, it is a bad thing. he wants that "tough" reputation to stick, so he is willing to risk the teams chances at a championship in a game where he is completely ineffective.

remember how i said he wants his own "flu game"? well look at that. kobe has the flu tonight, and he plans on playing. and ankle injury AND the flu? yeah kobe, sounds like a great way to propel yourself past jordan. have fun being ineffective when you shouldnt be playing whatsoever.

D12 fan
03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
The real question is whether El Hidalgo is concerned about his legacy as a kobe hater and NBA forum baiter/troll legend

lol

D12 fan
03-17-2013, 06:55 PM
when it becomes detrimental to the team, like in this case, it is a bad thing. he wants that "tough" reputation to stick, so he is willing to risk the teams chances at a championship in a game where he is completely ineffective.

remember how i said he wants his own "flu game"? well look at that. kobe has the flu tonight, and he plans on playing. and ankle injury AND the flu? yeah kobe, sounds like a great way to propel yourself past jordan. have fun being ineffective when you shouldnt be playing whatsoever.Are you serious?

el hidalgo
03-17-2013, 10:30 PM

PSD: where logic is mistaken for hate if isn't praising your favorite player

Hawkeye15
03-17-2013, 10:32 PM
The dude is tough as nails, tried to give it a go, realized he was not going to help his team, and asked out. How is he that concerned by his legacy by trying to play a game while hurt, to see if he could help?

Aust
03-17-2013, 10:43 PM
Only Kobe haters can rationalize him trying to play as being selfish and only caring about his legacy.......................................

nickdymez
03-17-2013, 10:47 PM
The Master Baiter strikes again!

el hidalgo
03-17-2013, 11:36 PM
The dude is tough as nails, tried to give it a go, realized he was not going to help his team, and asked out. How is he that concerned by his legacy by trying to play a game while hurt, to see if he could help?

by playing the game when he KNEW he would have only a negative impact. his play was detrimental to the team. not only that, but he could have injured it further and totally killed the teams playoff chances. he is only interested in further the reputation of being "tough as nails" at this point

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 11:45 PM

The guy didn't want to look like a hypocrite when he told Dwight to play through his injury.

LOL Y'all so gullible.

SportsFanatic10
03-17-2013, 11:47 PM
absolutely. its the driving force behind everything he does. and well thats good and all since its great motivation, but i just feel like he takes it to far and puts it ahead of the team and his teammates at times.

Dade County
03-18-2013, 12:06 AM
you mean the guy that has 2 Final Mvp's, but people keep on saying 5 rings ( and paul should have had one of those Final's Mvp's )..lmao

I do believe you have a point OP ( not about the Lakers winning a title..smh), he had no business being on the court, I feel the same way as you do, he was just trying to put on a tough guy persona.

And Kobe can never reach Jordan (6rings, 6 Finals Mvp's), Kobe only has 2finals Mvp's...Yeah Shaq has the other 3. So for Kobe to even have that thought in his head is ridiculous.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2013, 12:22 AM
Some of the Kobe hate is actually amusing at this point. It's entertaining to see what some of you guys can come up with next.

Saad
03-18-2013, 12:24 AM
1. You are acting like you know exactly what was going through Kobe's mind. "Yeah he played because he wanted his own flu game to surpass Jordan"

2. You don't know what was going through his mind, everyone else can see that he was trying to give it a go, to see if he could contribute, but when he realized he couldnt he sat out. Theres nothing wrong with that?

3. One game doesnt define your damn legacy. Its the regular season. Kobe is more worried about making the playoffs than proving to people "he's tough"

4. Yes he cares about his legacy. Why the hell do you think he works so hard after 17 seasons in and 5 rings. Of COURSE he wants more. Thats the whole point of the game. The Media and Fans are the ones that start comparing him to Jordan because they are both SG's that would have 6 rings. Im sure he uses it as motivation, but it doesnt mean thats his only motivation. He clearly wants to win for himself. Its not a bad thing.

5. I really think you are grasping at straws here. No one is "hating" your opinion is just really flawed, and it comes off as naive.

I rarely ever reply to posts, but this one was just too absurd to ignore.

Jimmer55
03-18-2013, 12:41 AM
raiderposting is HILARIOUS. ahahahahaha!

Supreme LA
03-18-2013, 12:44 AM
1. You are acting like you know exactly what was going through Kobe's mind. "Yeah he played because he wanted his own flu game to surpass Jordan"

2. You don't know what was going through his mind, everyone else can see that he was trying to give it a go, to see if he could contribute, but when he realized he couldnt he sat out. Theres nothing wrong with that?

3. One game doesnt define your damn legacy. Its the regular season. Kobe is more worried about making the playoffs than proving to people "he's tough"

4. Yes he cares about his legacy. Why the hell do you think he works so hard after 17 seasons in and 5 rings. Of COURSE he wants more. Thats the whole point of the game. The Media and Fans are the ones that start comparing him to Jordan because they are both SG's that would have 6 rings. Im sure he uses it as motivation, but it doesnt mean thats his only motivation. He clearly wants to win for himself. Its not a bad thing.

5. I really think you are grasping at straws here. No one is "hating" your opinion is just really flawed, and it comes off as naive.

I rarely ever reply to posts, but this one was just too absurd to ignore.

The girl in your sig is sooooooooo effing HOT!!!! Who is that???

ThunderousDemon
03-18-2013, 12:46 AM

He loves the Black Mamba. ;)

D12 fan
03-18-2013, 12:47 AM
lmao raiderposting straight swaggin on dem duck haters.

ThunderousDemon
03-18-2013, 12:47 AM

remember how i said he wants his own "flu game"? well look at that. kobe has the flu tonight, and he plans on playing. and ankle injury AND the flu? yeah kobe, sounds like a great way to propel yourself past jordan. have fun being ineffective when you shouldnt be playing whatsoever.

Why the **** do you care?

You aren't a Lakers fan anyways.

el hidalgo
03-18-2013, 01:01 AM
Why the **** do you care?

You aren't a Lakers fan anyways.
i forgot you cant be critical of kobe and be a laker fan

ThunderousDemon
03-18-2013, 01:04 AM
i forgot you cant be critical of kobe and be a laker fan

You can be critical, but that's not what I would call your seemingly unhealthy obsession with him and only him.

You dislike him greatly and can't stop posting about him.

I would take a guess and say that more than 90% percent of your posts are about Kobe.

Just look at what you have for your avatar and location.

You have a bad case of KOD.

MetroMan
03-18-2013, 01:48 AM
http://whatdoumeme.com/media/created/bavft3.jpg

MetroMan
03-18-2013, 02:01 AM
You want me to post my birth certificate or something :laugh: to show you I was born in Dade county...U sad

I love PSD posters sometimes.

And by the way... 2 Finals mvp's

are you one of those people who think wade is better than kobe?

Dade County
03-18-2013, 02:11 AM
are you one of those people who think wade is better than kobe?

Wade is better then Kobe at this point of their careers (and it has been this way for a while now), and it's not even debatable... Only HEAT haters and Kobe loyalist would say other wise.

I am not going to make Kobe fanatics make me not acknowledge how great Kobe has been through out his career, but that was then and this is now.

Kobe was a phenomenal player, but when it's all said and done, Wade will finish as the 2nd best sg ever... Deal with it people.

Once again... Kobe was great for the game.

MetroMan
03-18-2013, 02:21 AM
Wade is better then Kobe at this point of their careers (and it has been this way for a while now), and it's not even debatable... Only HEAT haters and Kobe loyalist would say other wise.

I am not going to make Kobe fanatics make me not acknowledge how great Kobe has been through out his career, but that was then and this is now.

Kobe was a phenomenal player, but when it's all said and done, Wade will finish as the 2nd best sg ever... Deal with it people.

Once again... Kobe was great for the game.
o the ignorance. per your argument, kobe 2FMVP > Wade 1 co FMVP w/refs.

elaborate as to why wade is better.

raiderposting
03-18-2013, 02:22 AM
youve got quite a vivid imagination bro. im the one getting accused here, but you thought all that up yourself :laugh:

and? I can't imagine a gay male who has an very very weird obsession with kobe bryant, wishing he can make love to him? what are you a bigot?

Dade County
03-18-2013, 02:35 AM
o the ignorance. per your argument, kobe 2FMVP > Wade 1 co FMVP w/refs.

elaborate as to why wade is better.

I am not going through this again... look up my old post if you would like.

And I only say the 2 Final Mvp's thing, because I find it dump when posters type ( Kobe has 5 rings ), when we all know that Shaq won all the finals Mvp's.

And yes, Wade was so explosive that he did go to the line a lot... If you forgot, go back and watch that Finals over again ( and yes NBA = Entertainment... look at some of Kobe foul calls too... two way street when it comes to the wwe).

But once again... just look through my old post, and you will find everything you need to know.

MetroMan
03-18-2013, 02:50 AM
^

Nah im good, I don't go through garbage.

Dade County
03-18-2013, 02:52 AM
^

+ 1

SportsFanatic10
03-18-2013, 03:13 AM
^

so you just spew it?

Zefflin
03-18-2013, 03:16 AM
^

+2

naps
03-18-2013, 04:36 AM
How come this Lakers team currently an 8th seed is an exclamation point itself. A lineup of Nash-Kobe-Metta-Gasol-Dwight along with Clark, Jamison, Blake, Meeks struggles to make the playoffs? I think years from now when you will look back at this team why it didn't work there will only be one answer that has historically been true for last 15 years. It's sad how just one selfish mentally can ruin chemistry and kill a tremendous team totally.

Saad
03-18-2013, 04:46 AM
How come this Lakers team currently an 8th seed is an exclamation point itself. A lineup of Nash-Kobe-Metta-Gasol-Dwight along with Clark, Jamison, Blake, Meeks struggles to make the playoffs? I think years from now when you will look back at this team why it didn't work there will only be one answer that has historically been true for last 15 years. It's sad how just one selfish mentally can ruin chemistry and kill a tremendous team totally.

Lol are you serious? I think our full lineup has played a total of 8 games or something this season TOTAL. Injuries to key players (Nash, Dwight, Pau, Kobe, Hill) have all contributed to the inconsistency of this team. A coaching change, resulting in sporadic coaching rotations and figuring out what works as the season goes on also played a huge role.

Finally there is some consistency, finally there is a set rotation, finally we have Dwight playing the way many of us expected he would. And guess what? We are winning games.

Saad
03-18-2013, 04:47 AM
Also would like to point out that ElHidalgo didn't bother responding to me, so I guess my point stands.

setman2000
03-18-2013, 05:49 AM
Awesome, a Kobe thread! It's about time!

ldawg
03-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Kobe was just trying to send a message. Nothing to do with ego or legacy. He told Pau to put on his big boy pants and told Howard to deal with the pain. How could he not practice what he preach? Your looking to deep.

sep11ie
03-18-2013, 08:05 AM
K

Bruno
03-18-2013, 08:11 AM

it should be obvious if you've been paying attention to this seasons story arch. He played in order to walk the talk. He was on Dwights case last month about playing through injury, he's leading by example. It's a sprained ankle, he didn't threaten the rest of his season. He gave it a go for 12 minutes, no biggie. Playing on one leg kills his statistics, if your implication was true he maybe would have sat out to protect his advanced line (something he's never cared about, buzzer beaters, ext).

Bull. Garbage thread.

DumDum
03-18-2013, 11:45 AM

:rolleyes: 17 of greatness plz more like 2.5 yrs and the rest were meh .... lotto team

DumDum
03-18-2013, 11:47 AM

when did he buy the lakers ?:eyebrow:

DumDum
03-18-2013, 11:53 AM
I think you are reading way too much into that. I doubt he was thinking "I need to impress people to make them think I'm like Jordan." More likely he was just thinking "Damn if I miss this game we could lose and let the Jazz catch up." The urgency of keeping the Lakers in the playoffs is much more significant. That game wasn't going to change his legacy.

He's always thinking about that 24/7 even when he's taking a pop

el hidalgo
03-18-2013, 11:57 AM
when did he buy the lakers ?:eyebrow:

sadly, many lakers fans now a days are just kobe fans.

whitemamba33
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
Am I missing something here?

A player who almost always tries to play through injuries decided to try and play through an injury.........................

???

I wish people cared more about their PSD reputations. Maybe we'd stop seeing such terrible threads.

whitemamba33
03-18-2013, 12:11 PM
:rolleyes: 17 of greatness plz more like 2.5 yrs and the rest were meh .... lotto team

He's going to be a hall of famer based on 2.5 seasons?

DumDum
03-18-2013, 12:14 PM
He's going to be a hall of famer based on 2.5 seasons?

pretty much and the media, if the honets would have kept him I'm 100% sure we wouldn't be having this thread right now

whitemamba33
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
pretty much and the media, if the honets would have kept him I'm 100% sure we wouldn't be having this thread right now

Ya....ok.

I highly suspected you were an idiot, I just wanted to confirm before i made a note to never read another one of your comments again.

Enjoy your life.

el hidalgo
03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Am I missing something here?

A player who almost always tries to play through injuries decided to try and play through an injury.........................

???

I wish people cared more about their PSD reputations. Maybe we'd stop seeing such terrible threads.
he was effective with his broken finger. all the props in the world to him for playing through that. this time, he was CLEARLY ineffective and was hurting his team. he just wanted to get in there for 10 mins and look "tough as nails". kobe is an egomaniac. he LOVED all the praise he was getting for playing in that past game. point is, he could have killed his teams chances if he injured it further. makes you look tough, sure. dumb move? definitely.

Tony_Starks
03-18-2013, 01:32 PM
pretty much and the media, if the honets would have kept him I'm 100% sure
we wouldn't be having this thread right now

Yeah because it's not like the HOF bases their inductions on silly stuff like stats, accomplishments, or longevity...

Kobe will strictly get in based on the huge misconception held by the entire civilized sports world that he's some kind of great player.

bluefire7002
03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
he was effective with his broken finger. all the props in the world to him for playing through that. this time, he was CLEARLY ineffective and was hurting his team. he just wanted to get in there for 10 mins and look "tough as nails". kobe is an egomaniac. he LOVED all the praise he was getting for playing in that past game. point is, he could have killed his teams chances if he injured it further. makes you look tough, sure. dumb move? definitely.

You mean the 1 hour prior to the game when it was finally known he was going to attempt to play??? He tried to play on that ankle and it was obvious he just had no lift and he said himself it wasn't loosening up at all. Which is why he did not return after that quarter. Afterwards though the bigger news was the fact the lakers beat the pacers and not so much that Kobe was receiving praises for trying to play through that. I think you are really just looking way too into it man.

You should pick another hobby rather than trying to come up with other ways to make Kobe look bad on PSD, it's really just getting silly now.

Saad
03-18-2013, 02:07 PM

Come on man, Im still waiting for you to reply to my post. I really want to have this discussion with you. Why do you keep glossing over mine? :confused::rolleyes:

Here's the link to it i believe: http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?809069-Does-Kobe-s-legacy-mean-too-much-to-him&p=25667118#post25667118

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-18-2013, 02:10 PM

:dance: Make as many Kobe threads as you can in the next month or so, because when the Lakers make are officially in the playoffs you better not show your face again:dance:

If anyone would like to know what i'm talking about, go to both our post history. Me an El hidalgo made an account bet in january I believe. If the Lakers make the playoffs he can no longer post here again, if the Lakers fail to make the playoffs I would leave Psd for good. So don't go all girly like dnewguy el hidalgo be a man of your word and stay out of this site when the Lakers make it.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-18-2013, 02:12 PM

:laugh: top 10 worst post ever.

ATX
03-18-2013, 02:32 PM
:laugh: top 10 worst post ever.

No, outside the top 1851...Those are all yours

DoubleDragon
03-18-2013, 02:45 PM
And the worm is on the hook, ready? Cast

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-18-2013, 02:58 PM
No, outside the top 1851...Those are all yours

Still mad I don't agree with all your Lebron deepthroating?

king4day
03-18-2013, 03:28 PM
I was giving this one a chance because the topic is a legit one. But people get hurt easily and others try to pry the worst out of them.
/thread