PDA

View Full Version : Is Evan Turner a bust?

beasted86
03-16-2013, 09:47 PM
He's not exactly young at 24 years old, and this is his 3rd year and he has yet to put together a strong month-long run showing a player he could possibly become with more consistency. Instead its pretty much a steady stream of mediocrity.

What do you guys think? Does he need more time?

Hawkeye15
03-16-2013, 09:47 PM
for his pick range, yes he is.

MrfadeawayJB
03-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Wouldn't say a bust but rather a dissappointment

D12 fan
03-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Is a banana yellow or white?

More-Than-Most
03-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Only to people thinking he was going to be a superstar. He will be a solid player though hopefully

HouRealCoach
03-16-2013, 10:04 PM
First of all, he has been buried behind Iggy for his first two years...

He went from averaging 9.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, & 2.8 assists last year to now getting 13.7 ppg, 6.5 rpg, & 4.4 apg and also raised his 3FG% from 22 to 36.. This is his first season getting over 30 mpg

3 years is not enough to call him a "bust" especially when he's shown improvement in every year, On the other hand, someone like Wesley Johnson who has done absolutely NOTHING can be labeled a bust

But Turner is no bust

RLundi
03-16-2013, 10:14 PM
No, he's shown glimpses of greatness. I still think he'll be a borderline all-star eventually.

douglas
03-16-2013, 11:52 PM
I wouldn't consider Evan Turner a bust because he is not a bust.

BKLYNpigeon
03-17-2013, 12:16 AM
This thread again? every 6 months i swear....

Raps18-19 Champ
03-17-2013, 12:27 AM
He's not exactly the type of player you want at #2, but he's probably a top 5 player if you rerank the draft.

mvb815
03-17-2013, 12:32 AM
depends how you classify a bust, he doesn't live up to a 2nd overall pick as of now, but anyone who has seen him play this year can agree he is becoming pretty serviceable

Alayla
03-17-2013, 01:12 AM
First of all, he has been buried behind Iggy for his first two years...

He went from averaging 9.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, & 2.8 assists last year to now getting 13.7 ppg, 6.5 rpg, & 4.4 apg and also raised his 3FG% from 22 to 36.. This is his first season getting over 30 mpg

3 years is not enough to call him a "bust" especially when he's shown improvement in every year, On the other hand, someone like Wesley Johnson who has done absolutely NOTHING can be labeled a bust

But Turner is no bust

Pretty much this but i still dont think he will come close to what people thought during the draft then again i even said that at the time.

Alayla
03-17-2013, 01:13 AM
He's not exactly the type of player you want at #2, but he's probably a top 5 player if you rerank the draft.

^ best post in here so far people need to realize that draft was actually really weak.

HouRealCoach
03-17-2013, 01:30 AM
^ best post in here so far people need to realize that draft was actually really weak.

It was just 3 years ago... Players like Wall, Cousins, Turner, Favors, Monroe, George, Sanders, & Vasquez all look like they can be special

Bradley, Bledsoe, Hayward, Patterson, Aminu, & Ed Davis all look like they will have long & serviceable careers

LanceUpperCut
03-17-2013, 01:35 AM
I wouldn't say so.I thought it's was a really weak draft in the first place and yes he was selected number 2 overall but no one really should of expected much more than an average starter from the get go, it was his fault he was picked early.

Alayla
03-17-2013, 01:51 AM
It was just 3 years ago... Players like Wall, Cousins, Turner, Favors, Monroe, George, Sanders, & Vasquez all look like they can be special

Bradley, Bledsoe, Hayward, Patterson, Aminu, & Ed Davis all look like they will have long & serviceable careers

Turner special? lol.. maybe special ed seriesoly the kid isnt that good
Only the bolded really grab me as players from that draft id love to have Wall and DMC are getting there acutally you just made me realize how little i acutally like turner while i still say the talent pool in that draft wasnt great Turner at 2 was a real reach in retrospect id mabye of taken him at 5-7

jp611
03-17-2013, 01:56 AM
He can be a Tayshaun Prince type player

Alayla
03-17-2013, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't say so.I thought it's was a really weak draft in the first place and yes he was selected number 2 overall but no one really should of expected much more than an average starter from the get go, it was his fault he was picked early.

but they did and thats why these threads happen

Alayla
03-17-2013, 01:58 AM
He can be a Tayshaun Prince type player

thats an insult to Prince he could actually play D

topdog
03-17-2013, 10:01 AM
He was overrated coming out. I hate saying "bust" because everyone pulls out their own personal definition, but he definitely has not lived up to his selection at 2 (not unlike a lot of 2nd picks).

time4change
03-17-2013, 10:19 AM
Yah trade him to the Bucks lol.

SeoulBeatz
03-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Not worth the #2 pick, but he's a solid player.

Will never be an all-star, but a solid 15, 7, 5 guy.

2-ONE-5
03-17-2013, 10:32 AM
i dont get the he will never be an all star because you dont know that. he is a good enough player to put together an all star season or two if he can become more consistent on offense.

pd1dish
03-17-2013, 11:07 AM
i dont understand how he is a bust..he does what his team asks him to do. they havent needed him to put up numbers until recently.

anyways, coming in everyone should have known that he might struggle to find his place in the NBA. he is 6'7 and not exactly the quickest player. hes just one of those guys that is a little slow at the 2, but a little undersized at the 3. he was able to get away with that in college and be a great player. i sort of expected him to have a hard time transitioning to the NBA, but give him time. he just needs to develop a more consistent jump shot (which is attainable). otherwise, he is a solid ball handler and defender, and can play either the 2 or the 3 if needed.

JasonJohnHorn
03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
He's a young guy whose game is slowly and steadily developing. His FG% is down a little, but his 3pt% is up and considering his position he is a great rebounder and play maker. The important thing is, is that he is 24 and he is showing improvement each season. guys like Granger, Artest, Pippen, it took them 5 years in the league to develop into an All-Star. Turner may not reach that level of play, but he's certainly a starter or 6th man in this league and will likely have a job in the NBA until he's 35 years old. I wouldn't call that a bust.

Was he picked too high? Maybe. But I think in hindsight most people will agree that DMC, Monroe and Paul George were the best talents coming out of that draft, and none of them were even picked top four. Wesley Johnson was picked ahead of those guys and hasn't shown any improvement and isn't even starting now. So i think it woudl be more fair to look at Wes. johnson in this conversation thant Evan Turner who is showing improvements each year.

VCaintdead17
03-17-2013, 12:22 PM
In order for him to be effective as as possible he needs to go somewhere where he can be the main ball handler, and play with a good off the ball point guard who can shoot 3's. Hes in a bad spot in philly

beasted86
03-17-2013, 12:25 PM
He's a young guy whose game is slowly and steadily developing. His FG% is down a little, but his 3pt% is up and considering his position he is a great rebounder and play maker. The important thing is, is that he is 24 and he is showing improvement each season. guys like Granger, Artest, Pippen, it took them 5 years in the league to develop into an All-Star. Turner may not reach that level of play, but he's certainly a starter or 6th man in this league and will likely have a job in the NBA until he's 35 years old. I wouldn't call that a bust.

Was he picked too high? Maybe. But I think in hindsight most people will agree that DMC, Monroe and Paul George were the best talents coming out of that draft, and none of them were even picked top four. Wesley Johnson was picked ahead of those guys and hasn't shown any improvement and isn't even starting now. So i think it woudl be more fair to look at Wes. johnson in this conversation thant Evan Turner who is showing improvements each year.

What is the point of discussing Wes Johnson? It's a given that he's a bust, nobody here is debating that. Turner on the other hand can have a good discussion with opposing views... just look at the voting.

Anyway how I feel on the topic is how I felt about Michael Beasley. Is he productive? Yes. Can he make a number of NBA rosters as a role player? Yes. Did he live up to the draft hype or draft position? No. So he is a bust. The same applies to Evan Turner IMO, I've seen enough, I don't think he's getting a lot better. Beasley is even younger than he is. Neither are getting any better IMO.

2-ONE-5
03-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Beasley is a bad basketball player and loser. he is just a selfish gunner, Beasley is a bust

bholly
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM

I'd say Wall, Monroe, George, Sanders, Bradley, Favors, Vasquez all go ahead of him, with Bledsoe, Davis, Cousins likely but depending on which teams are picking. Still def possible for him to move back to the top of that draft class, but right now he wouldn't be a top 5 pick, and could even slip out of the top 10.

Swashcuff
03-18-2013, 09:19 AM
In order for him to be effective as as possible he needs to go somewhere where he can be the main ball handler, and play with a good off the ball point guard who can shoot 3's. Hes in a bad spot in philly

Ideally that would be the right fit for him. A situation in which he grabs a larger chunk of the playmaking. Maybe not the primary ball handler like say LeBron but a situation in which he can interchange playing off the ball and playmaking as often as possible. Don't think he's in a bad spot in Philly just think he was used wrong and was never coached properly.

Place Turner in the hands of Coach Pop and watch him flourish and all the bust rubbish would be thrown completely out the window.

To answer the question, NO Turner is not a bust, he's one of the most inconsistent players in all of basketball and really not the player we HOPED he would be. Still a solid 3rd/4th scoring option and secondary play maker on a quality team.

3RDASYSTEM
03-18-2013, 09:54 AM
I love threads like these

right down a player-observers lane

hear me out as I spew this poppycock for the 10000000000000000000000000000x and counting

you are who you are from day1,preNBA, unless you are BEAN and win 5 rings then it changes 'perception' from fanatics view,not true hoopers

TURNER was this at OHIO ST. right? I mean damn im seeing the same player, same with RUBIO when he was overhyped and drafted high but packaged overseas to 'develop', develop what? he is the same pass happy flashy type, who can hit an occasional jumper but not a threat really for nothing but passing, and he will be same player in 5yrs as will TURNER, same with MELO/DURANT/BRON

you think because DURANT is going for 50-40-90 that makes him unreal or something? no what makes him unreal is he had this same ability/game at TEXAS and showcased it weekly, and he a 7footer basically with a killer crossover and flame thrower to match, that's what makes him unreal

not that dumbass WS% or highest PER or none of that ********

BRON has led the league in PER for past 6 or so yrs but damn his 2003-04 rookie yr was incredible from individual standpoint, and going from 21ppg to 27-28ppg in yr 2 is incredible, that's been BRON from day1

he didn't need a streak of 60fg pct to solidify his alltime status, he did that rookie yr,preNBA
or against the PISTONS in that 07' run

TURNER is a bust via management, its like KWAME going no1, no business going that high ever

TURNER/KWAME are types you package and trade for a go getter now on draft day

everybody is like why did TURNER go that damn high, PHI org. is who they are, no matter the changes

PHI did same thing when they had AI early, they had 2 lottery picks(PIERCE/TMAC could of been had) and didn't package them for a allnba type player like the way C's did it for KG/ALLEN, I wouldn't have touched TURNER with a 10ft pole, and Im basing it off his game at OU,nothing special at all, and im being kind..he can play, just nothing special

now make a thread about any other player and I guarantee I will say the same about that player, you are who you are, including psd members

people on here tell me I say the same thing(truth), how can I not, the truth never changes so I just tell it how it all happened

2-ONE-5
03-18-2013, 10:03 AM
I love threads like these

right down a player-observers lane

hear me out as I spew this poppycock for the 10000000000000000000000000000x and counting

you are who you are from day1,preNBA, unless you are BEAN and win 5 rings then it changes 'perception' from fanatics view,not true hoopers

TURNER was this at OHIO ST. right? I mean damn im seeing the same player, same with RUBIO when he was overhyped and drafted high but packaged overseas to 'develop', develop what? he is the same pass happy flashy type, who can hit an occasional jumper but not a threat really for nothing but passing, and he will be same player in 5yrs as will TURNER, same with MELO/DURANT/BRON

you think because DURANT is going for 50-40-90 that makes him unreal or something? no what makes him unreal is he had this same ability/game at TEXAS and showcased it weekly, and he a 7footer basically with a killer crossover and flame thrower to match, that's what makes him unreal

not that dumbass WS% or highest PER or none of that ********

BRON has led the league in PER for past 6 or so yrs but damn his 2003-04 rookie yr was incredible from individual standpoint, and going from 21ppg to 27-28ppg in yr 2 is incredible, that's been BRON from day1

he didn't need a streak of 60fg pct to solidify his alltime status, he did that rookie yr,preNBA
or against the PISTONS in that 07' run

TURNER is a bust via management, its like KWAME going no1, no business going that high ever

TURNER/KWAME are types you package and trade for a go getter now on draft day

everybody is like why did TURNER go that damn high, PHI org. is who they are, no matter the changes

PHI did same thing when they had AI early, they had 2 lottery picks(PIERCE/TMAC could of been had) and didn't package them for a allnba type player like the way C's did it for KG/ALLEN, I wouldn't have touched TURNER with a 10ft pole, and Im basing it off his game at OU,nothing special at all, and im being kind..he can play, just nothing special

now make a thread about any other player and I guarantee I will say the same about that player, you are who you are, including psd members

people on here tell me I say the same thing(truth), how can I not, the truth never changes so I just tell it how it all happened

National Player of the Year genious.

JiffyMix88
03-18-2013, 10:39 AM

I agree it's only year 3 for these players most still young but for Turner I think he is considered a bust for where he was drafted at. I do think he will be very serviceable and can become a big part of a contending team if he can develope a consistant jumper over 13 feet away.

blystr2002
03-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Unless you are a top 3 pick and disappear from the NBA can you be a bust. It isn't the NFL. 1st and 2nd rounders are never heard of after the draft all the time. He is at least averaging decent numbers. Weren't a lot of people saying he was the most NBA ready, but not a star going into the draft. He is doing okay just not star quality.

timbo888
03-18-2013, 11:16 AM
As a Jazz fan, it could also be said that Favors is a bust. Turner seems to do a lot of good things on the court and personally if the sixers are ready to part ways I would love seeing him in a Jazz uni! I honestly think both Favors and Turner will end up being very good players in this league if never quite reaching All-Star status. (Although I think Favors will be an annual Defensive POY candidate.)

PhillyFaninLA
03-18-2013, 11:24 AM
In college he showed slow progression for 3 years, in the NBA he has done the same thing.

He is a solid starter that is still slowly getting better. He is not a finished product. Is he a superstar, certainly not, but can he average 15 - 17 points, 7 - 9 rebounds, and 5 - 6 assists, with about 1 - 1.5 steals...he certainly can.

Look at that draft we was not a bust considering those around him. If was drafted today you'd be happy taking him 10 - 20..in that draft him number 2 isn't so bad.

JiffyMix88
03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
In college he showed slow progression for 3 years, in the NBA he has done the same thing.

He is a solid starter that is still slowly getting better. He is not a finished product. Is he a superstar, certainly not, but can he average 15 - 17 points, 7 - 9 rebounds, and 5 - 6 assists, with about 1 - 1.5 steals...he certainly can.

Look at that draft we was not a bust considering those around him. If was drafted today you'd be happy taking him 10 - 20..in that draft him number 2 isn't so bad.

Actually I think it was bad where he was drafted. You guys already had Iggy and was in need of a big man (Favors, Cousins and Monroe were drafted shortly after).

Knowledge
03-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Yes, he is. He hasn't lived up the expectations or hype, and he is a below average NBA starter. There was a stretch in the earlier part of the season where I felt like maybe he was turning the corner, but it was just another flash in the pan.

I will say that in Doug Collins offense, it is very normally for guys to under-perform. If he eventually leaves the team, or Doug leaves the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see his numbers improve (both per game and advanced), but he will never be a guy worthy of the #2 pick and whether he ever develops into a reliable starter is questionable too.

todu82
03-18-2013, 12:47 PM
Option 3. Give him another season or 2. If he continues to play poorly then yes we can call him a bust.

PhillyFaninLA
03-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Option 3. Give him another season or 2. If he continues to play poorly then yes we can call him a bust.

Like I said he has been slowly improving each year and he did the same thing in college.....I personally don't think where you where drafted should be a deciding factor on bust or not....you either belong in the league or you don't.

SeoulBeatz
03-18-2013, 12:57 PM
Yes, he is. He hasn't lived up the expectations or hype, and he is a below average NBA starter. There was a stretch in the earlier part of the season where I felt like maybe he was turning the corner, but it was just another flash in the pan.

I will say that in Doug Collins offense, it is very normally for guys to under-perform. If he eventually leaves the team, or Doug leaves the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see his numbers improve (both per game and advanced), but he will never be a guy worthy of the #2 pick and whether he ever develops into a reliable starter is questionable too.

yep.

flash in the pan, that says it all.

he'll have stretches where he puts up 20, 8, 6

and then he'll put up godawful stretches (more often than not) where you barely notice he's on the court until he bricks a midrange.

he's got skills, he's a very skilled ballhandler at 6'7, he's a good playmaker, one of the best rebounding guards in the league, he's no longer a complete liability from three, and a steady defender with good size.

but... he is an incredibly inefficient shooter most of the time, he isn't the best with team defense, he turns the ball over more often than you'd like from a SG, and he's mentally weak and his confidence comes and goes.

consistency is key with him, and he completely lacks it at this point.

but games like these.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaVRpX388I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU46Zt1Kf0I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btxg3rOP8l8

make it hard to just write him off. If you watch these clips, you should get a feel for the player that he COULD be.... but i just don't think he'll ever put it all together.

MonroeFAN
03-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Didn't we just have this topic?

And no, he's not. The expectations for a #2 pick should be signifcantly lower than the #1, and his numbers aren't even that bad.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
03-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Turner special? lol.. maybe special ed seriesoly the kid isnt that good
Only the bolded really grab me as players from that draft id love to have Wall and DMC are getting there acutally you just made me realize how little i acutally like turner while i still say the talent pool in that draft wasnt great Turner at 2 was a real reach in retrospect id mabye of taken him at 5-7
u dont think sanders is turning into something special?

KingPosey
03-18-2013, 02:37 PM
National Player of the Year genious.

Ya. Genius.

ManningToTyree
03-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Not a bust because he will have a long productive career. However he appears to have been a reach at #2. If he doesn't take that next step next season I think he is what he is. Which is solid.