PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Parity (Yes, this topic again!)

ChiTownPacerFan
03-16-2013, 08:55 PM
The talent gap between the elite teams and everyone else is quite staggering. Especially in the east, (Where there's Miami, and then everyone else). I wanted to pose this question: Is the talent gap between Miami and the next best team in the east greater than the gap between that team and a lottery team? In other words, if you think Indiana is the second best team in the east, is the difference in talent between Miami and Indiana greater than the difference in talent between Indiana and Toronto? I would say it is, and by a lot.

D12 fan
03-16-2013, 08:57 PM
It's not a lack of parity, it's Lebron James. He is that good period.

D12 fan
03-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Put Lebron on the Bobcats and they become the best team in the East, i'm dead serious.

HouRealCoach
Well damn near every eastern conference playoff squad has top players injured so....

ChiTownPacerFan
If he's that much better than everyone else, than that, by definition, results in a lack of parity. And it's not just LeBron, that Miami squad is pretty stacked!

HouRealCoach
03-16-2013, 09:01 PM
If Rondo, Rose, Amare, Granger, Bynum, & a few role players here & there were as healthy as Miami then it might be a different story

But Miami does have LeBron, Bosh, & Wade... Not many team will EVER that level of talent

NewEraFt.ET12
03-16-2013, 09:03 PM
How many games did the Thunder take the Heat last season? How about the Pacers? Celtics?

king4day
03-16-2013, 09:46 PM
It's not a lack of parity, it's Lebron James. He is that good period.

Exactly my thought. No one is saying OKC can't be beat. Or the Spurs or Lakers. Miami (Lebron) is just a powerhouse.

king4day
03-16-2013, 09:47 PM
If he's that much better than everyone else, than that, by definition, results in a lack of parity. And it's not just LeBron, that Miami squad is pretty stacked!

Take away Lebron and Miami is just a good playoff team. Not a title contender.

Hawkeye15
03-16-2013, 09:49 PM

peel Bron off that team, and they are a 45-50 win team getting hosed in round 2 at best.

Chronz
03-16-2013, 11:09 PM
There are measurable ways off estimating this, anyone care to try?

JasonJohnHorn
03-16-2013, 11:18 PM
I think there is a potential issue with parity in the league, but I also think a lot of the team's who aren't performing well are plagued by injuries.

The Lakers: Dwight has been playing hurt they missed Nash for a chunk of the season and are currently missing Gasol.

The Knicks: were and are without Amare.

76ers: Have been playing without their best player all season.

T-Wolves: Love has missed a huge portion of the season.

Pacers: Granger has been out almost all season.

Bulls: Playing without their best player all year.

Boston: Playing without their starting PG for over half the season.

Goldenstate: Been without their starting center Bogut almost all year.

Utah: Been missing their starting PG for weeks.

Mavs: Were without Dirk for the first part of the season and have been playing catch-up ever since.

This seems to me like far more injuries that would normally occur to key players during the course of a season and it has made it hard for some teams to compete.

I think the playoff teams, like top 4-6 teams in each conference, can all, when healthy, beat the best teams in the league and compete with them in a 7-game series, the issue is that they are not healthy.

Now the disparity between lottery teams and playoff teams is frustrating, but I think injuries have made the disparity between contenders and playoff teams more prevalent.

29$JerZ
03-16-2013, 11:26 PM
What do you expect?

Cleveland/Toronto went from Playoff teams to lotto teams because of Miami Summer 10
Dwight went West and Orlando is a lotto team.
Bynum hasn't played 1 game and Philly is a lotto team.

Doesn't help the East either that its worse teams continue to do awful in the draft and show little improvement.

kobe4thewinbang
03-17-2013, 12:53 AM
I think next season will be more competitive. It seems that several teams are in a transitional period or in rebuild mode. When even the west team records are weak, the fruit isn't ripe yet.

barreleffact
03-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Take away Lebron and Miami is just a good playoff team. Not a title contender.

Bull! In this era with THAT supporting cast, they would likely still be the favorites.

barreleffact
03-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Put Lebron on the Bobcats and they become the best team in the East, i'm dead serious.

BS. Best team is an overstatement. They would compete but lose to the Bills, Heat, or a few others just like he did with his Cleveland teams.

PatriotsGirl
03-17-2013, 09:02 PM
The talent gap between the elite teams and everyone else is quite staggering. Especially in the east, (Where there's Miami, and then everyone else). I wanted to pose this question: Is the talent gap between Miami and the next best team in the east greater than the gap between that team and a lottery team? In other words, if you think Indiana is the second best team in the east, is the difference in talent between Miami and Indiana greater than the difference in talent between Indiana and Toronto? I would say it is, and by a lot.

It can get pretty painful in some of these matchups - almost hard to watch!

Hawkeye15
03-17-2013, 09:06 PM
I think there is a potential issue with parity in the league, but I also think a lot of the team's who aren't performing well are plagued by injuries.

The Lakers: Dwight has been playing hurt they missed Nash for a chunk of the season and are currently missing Gasol.

The Knicks: were and are without Amare.

76ers: Have been playing without their best player all season.

T-Wolves: Love has missed a huge portion of the season.

Pacers: Granger has been out almost all season.

Bulls: Playing without their best player all year.

Boston: Playing without their starting PG for over half the season.

Goldenstate: Been without their starting center Bogut almost all year.

Utah: Been missing their starting PG for weeks.

Mavs: Were without Dirk for the first part of the season and have been playing catch-up ever since.

This seems to me like far more injuries that would normally occur to key players during the course of a season and it has made it hard for some teams to compete.

I think the playoff teams, like top 4-6 teams in each conference, can all, when healthy, beat the best teams in the league and compete with them in a 7-game series, the issue is that they are not healthy.

Now the disparity between lottery teams and playoff teams is frustrating, but I think injuries have made the disparity between contenders and playoff teams more prevalent.

Add Budinger, Roy, Rubio, Pekovic, Kirilenko, and Lee. We were absolutely destroyed by injuries this season. We are at 278 games missed due to injury and counting...

ManRam
03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Injuries are playing a HUGE role in a lot of the lack of parity, as noted above.

I don't think it's any worse than it ever has honestly. The East is banged up big time, but after the Heat, there is actually a lot of parity. Those teams from 2-8 are all so similar.

I do maintain that it is a bit of a problem, and unfortunately due to a lot of things you can't fix, it will continue to be a problem. Players can more easily determine what teams are good and what aren't on their own than athletes can in other sports.

3RDASYSTEM
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM

Put BRON on that LAKERS 56 win team in 96-97 with a 'psd primed' SHAQ/JONES/VAN EXEL and im pretty sure BRON would be riding the pine behind a 'psd primed' CEDRIC CEBALLOS for his first 3yrs then when he starts yr4 they will win title and all I will hear is that from 2000-2010 BRON was the best player of the decade with 5rings and 2 Finals MVP's to match those 5 rings, nevermind my math is off

im drop dead serious, he would have beeen the BEAN of LA, incredible what winning rings and not winning rings can do for you

BEAN is so good that he can run off SHAQ for being a 'sidekick' then he can blow a 3-1 series lead with SMUSH/KWAME as his ROBINS(he passed his sidekick title to those 2,or was it ODOM?), then he can go to 3 straight FINALS with PAU to only tell him to put on or pull up his big boy pants after they flamed out 2 straight times since, to now taking NASH's MIKE D MVP role and turning him into FISHER -10.0 and now going from fueding with SHAQ to HOWARD over whos the sidekick again, talk about 'backupguards gone wild'

its never BEAN's fault, its always SHAQ's or a combo of SMUSH/KWAME or PAU to now HOWARD, and just to think, he was the only player drafted by LA, all others were via trade/free agency

its like he can play like his first 3 yrs as MAGIC, then play like his last 10yrs like JORDAN then revert back to his first 3yrs and people will be like damn we haven't seen anything like this from BEAN,he MAGIC BRYANT

im like sure you have, he was a backupguard to JONES, its not new at all to me to see him playing like his idol 'MAGIC', or a PIPP type game, he was a sidekick for a reason(BEAN said it,be mad at him)
or is he getting his NASH on?
pretty soon he'll challenge HOWARD for rebounding supremacy, he already done took out SHAQ/PAU/NASH

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 09:47 PM
How many teams have players better than LeBron?
How many teams have players better than Wade?
1 (Durant)

In 2010-11 and 2011-12, LeBron and Wade were considered TOP 2-3 players in the league. How teams in NBA history has ever had 2 players on the same team as TOP 2 players in the league?

Then, you add
Chris Bosh & Ray friggin' Allen with some superb outside shooters, and you don't see how this Heat team is THIS invincible?

Guppyfighter
03-17-2013, 10:08 PM
lol Wade is not the third best player in the league.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2013, 10:09 PM

dealing with those who want to discredit Bron dude.

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 10:18 PM

TOP 4 in PER on the best team in the league, and TOP 9 in WS/48 on the best team in the league. He's TOP 5 at the very least. Name another 2-way player in the league (besides Durant and CP3), that is just as efficient while playing on a top team in the league.

Guppyfighter
03-17-2013, 10:20 PM
TOP 4 in PER on the best team in the league, and TOP 9 in WS/48 on the best team in the league. He's TOP 5 at the very least. Name another 2-way player in the league (besides Durant and CP3), that is just as efficient while playing on a top team in the league.

I will take Harden over Dwade as well. I don't care that the Rockets aren't a top team in the league. Harden has been better.

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
dealing with those who want to discredit Bron dude.
LeBron is my 3rd favorite player in the league, and I'm true Heat fan. Miami native, and been following the Heat since the late 90s, when I was in elementary school. Most true Heat fans support every player on the team. Its the fake Heat fans that are usually LeBron stans that try to discredit Wade and the rest of the Heat and solely praise LeBron.

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 10:23 PM
I will take Harden over Dwade as well. I don't care that the Rockets aren't a top team in the league. Harden has been better.

You play the game on both sides. Harden plays absolutely no defense, and is not as consistent as Wade. Ever since November when Wade was still recovering from off season knee surgery, Wade has been by far the more consistent player. Harden has been woefully inconsistent.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2013, 10:28 PM
You play the game on both sides. Harden plays absolutely no defense, and is not as consistent as Wade. Ever since November when Wade was still recovering from off season knee surgery, Wade has been by far the more consistent player. Harden has been woefully inconsistent.

Kobe hasn't played a lick of defense this season either dude.

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Kobe hasn't played a lick of defense this season either dude.
I have Wade over Kobe as well, but at least Kobe is more consistent offensively. I actually think both Kobe and Harden are a wash, but Wade is clearly the best SG in the league. Too many Kobe stans are gonna come gang up against me now (LOL). Only LeBron, Durant, and CP3 have been better than Wade IMO. I think if Wade keeps up his stellar performance, he might surpass CP3 by the end of the season.

Hawkeye15
03-17-2013, 10:36 PM
I have Wade over Kobe as well, but at least Kobe is more consistent offensively. I actually think both Kobe and Harden are a wash, but Wade is clearly the best SG in the league. Too many Kobe stans are gonna come gang up against me now (LOL). Only LeBron, Durant, and CP3 have been better than Wade IMO. I think if Wade keeps up his stellar performance, he might surpass CP3 by the end of the season.

I think Kobe-Wade-Harden are a wash dude.

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 10:42 PM
I think Kobe-Wade-Harden are a wash dude.

No way. You're not accounting for defense. All three players are similar offensively, while Wade is a vastly superior defender. If Wade was only committed on one side, he would put up the goofiest offensive numbers.

Guppyfighter
03-17-2013, 10:57 PM

Harden's defense is average. SG's synergy against him are 103.2 points per 100 possessions.

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
Harden's defense is average. SG's synergy against him are 103.2 points per 100 possessions.
Well, the eye test shows that Harden is a piss poor defender, with no effort or defensive fundamentals. He also will give you frequent 7-20 type games, while Wade would make most most possessions count. So what is Harden has a higher TS%, Wade has higher PER and plays elite defense. Replace Harden w/ Wade and he would put up similar number with better efficiency and more committed defense.

LeperMessiah
03-17-2013, 11:44 PM

He did it with Cleveland, why not them.

canefandynasty
03-17-2013, 11:59 PM
He did it with Cleveland, why not them.

Wade + Bosh and a good cast would be way better than LeBron with scrubs. Wade is a TOP 5 player himself, and your giving him a good cast. You already know Wade with a good cast has always been Finals contenders. They would thrash LeBrons Bobcats. If you give LeBron a reliable 2nd option then it gets more interesting.

Heatcheck
03-18-2013, 10:41 AM
At the end of the day, it boils down to gms not knowing how to do their jobs. Riley does, thats why he signed bosh and not stat, thats why he traded odom and butler for shaq even though a boat load of peopl were crying about them somehow giving up too much. the nets had basically a clean slate and added Joe Johnsons crap contract and Gerald Wallaces even crappier contract. The rockets signed every powerforward they could find this year, the Wolves did the same before with pgs. the cavs had lebron for 7 years and the best they could do was bring in mo williams (oh im sorry i forgot lebron ran the front office and every last deal they made was because he wanted it)