PDA

View Full Version : If Miami breaks the Lakers' streak and wins the title, where does this team rank?

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
So the question is simple. The Heat have become one of only four teams to win 20 games in a row. Looking at the remainder of their schedule, it's not impossible they could break the 72 Lakers' streak of 33 straight. Certainly unlikely, but not impossible. But if they were to break the streak (or even come damn close) and win their second consecutive title, where would you rank them among the greatest teams in the history of the league?

Money_23
03-14-2013, 03:45 PM
top 10 for sure.

jerellh528
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
Top 10 all time, but it would be really hard to break that streak.

hidalgo
03-14-2013, 03:46 PM
i don't think they'll even come close to breaking the Lakers 33. but if they do & win the title that's pretty impressive. top 10 all time team maybe? hard to say

justinnum1
03-14-2013, 03:49 PM
i hate when you make the votes private. I want to see which clown picked average to above average champion lol

for the record, i don't think miami will beat the lakers record.

Dade County
03-14-2013, 03:51 PM
That Lakers streak happened in 1971-72... That streak holds no relevance to me; that was a total different error of basketball ( different rules, player movement, salary ...etc ).

The Houston rockets streak of 22 is the important one.

33 straight wins, what a joke to even compare that brand of basketball, to what we see now.

Lakers + Giants
03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Top 5 team ever no question. Maybe even top 3.

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 03:52 PM
I think it's extremely unlikely the Heat will actually break the streak. They've already come close to losing to a few teams, and they're bound to have an off night eventually. But there's a very good chance they could come close, and if they could find a way to win 65+ games, have a streak of 25+ wins, win another MVP for Lebron (likely) and win back-to-back rings, I think they're in the top 10 discussion at the very least. Should they somehow do all that AND break the Lakers record, I think they're worthy of being in the top 5 discussion with teams like the 96 Bulls, 72 Lakers, 86 Celtics, 83 76ers, 87 Lakers and 89 Pistions.

hidalgo
03-14-2013, 03:54 PM
i think if the Heat really wanna take their place among the top 5 teams ever, they need to win 4 straight titles. that hasn't been done in forever. that would really really really impress me

i'm rooting for them to break the streak, but that's unfair to ask that of them. i won't hate on them if they don't, that's just an absurd amont of wins in a row. i do expect them to beat the 2008 Rockets 22 game win streak. that's realistic

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 03:55 PM
i think if the Heat really wanna take their place among the top 5 teams ever, they need to win 4 straight titles. that hasn't been done in forever. that would really really really impress me

Yeah, but you're talking extended success. I'm talking greatest individual seasons. If they could somehow win four straight, that would be remarkable, but not every season would be equally strong.

Lakers + Giants
03-14-2013, 03:55 PM
That Lakers streak happened in 1971-72... That streak holds no relevance to me; that was a total different error of basketball ( different rules, player movement, salary ...etc ).

33 straight wins, what a joke to even compare that brand of basketball, to what we see now.

You're only saying that because 22 is closer within reach than 33.

Just because it holds no relevance to you doesn't mean in it holds no relevance to anyone else.

So if the heat get lets say 23 wins in a row and beat the 2nd best streak (which you believe to be more impressive) and then 40 years later a team gets around 18 then will that be more impressive? It will be a different era and players will be much more athletic and probably laugh at our players now. . .

mdm692
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM
I actually can see them breaking the streak. The way Lebron has been playing nobody can contain him and Wade has been playing really good as well that it's hard for any team to stop them. I would say #4 or #5 all time.

Mr_Jones
03-14-2013, 03:59 PM
I doubt they do it, but if they did, then they'd be top 5. Which is weird because they really don't have a great roster. They just play well together.

jerellh528
03-14-2013, 04:00 PM
Their roster is pretty great. ^

mdm692
03-14-2013, 04:01 PM
I doubt they do it, but if they did, then they'd be top 5. Which is weird because they really don't have a great roster. They just play well together.
You forgot they have the best player in the planet too lol. But yes they have weaknesses at the PG and C, which many would argue are the most important positions in basketball, yet they seem to make it work with great teamwork.

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 04:01 PM

Just because it holds no relevance to you doesn't mean in it holds no relevance to anyone else.

So if the heat get lets say 23 wins in a row and beat the 2nd best streak (which you believe to be more impressive) and then 40 years later a team gets around 18 then will that be more impressive? It will be a different era and players will be much more athletic and probably laugh at our players now. . .

Agreed. A record is a record is a record. The Heat's streak may seem more impressive because of the amount of talent in the league today, but that does not diminish what the 72 Lakers accomplished. There were also fewer teams in that era of basketball, and the teams in the 60s and 70s could only play the teams on their schedule.

Hell, if you want to talk impressive, let's talk about that Rockets' streak of 22. THAT's an impressive accomplishment that I'll never forget as a Rockets' fan, because so much of that streak was with Yao Ming sidelined with an injury. Different guys stepped up every night and they even beat the Lakers to get that 22nd victory with Yao on the bench.

JerseyPalahniuk
03-14-2013, 04:02 PM
If they don't win the title, none of the above

If they win the title, don't beat the streak, play like last year in playoffs - top 15-20
If they win the title, don't beat the streak, dominate in playoffs (lose <6 games total) - top 10
If they win the title, beat the streak, dominate in playoffs, top 2 or 3

TopsyTurvy
03-14-2013, 04:07 PM
I don't think this streak is anything but indicative of how hot the Heat have been over a stretch of games. Considering the only win of import came @ OKC a month ago (and possibly the Pacers more recently), I'm not even sure how great the streak is considering how disinterested the Heat have looked in some of their losses this season.

If you look more closely at the streak, they are either outright defeating lesser opponents (a large reason their average margin in points along this streak is like +10.8), OR they are simply closing out contested games.

The streak is a great achievement of some level of consistency yet after it's over, it will be nothing more than a footnote in another year of remarkable growth for Lebron.

KnickaBocka.44
03-14-2013, 04:08 PM
Miami is peaking too early. My prediction is that they don't break the streak or win the title.

Mr_Jones
03-14-2013, 04:09 PM
You forgot they have the best player in the planet too lol. But yes they have weaknesses at the PG and C, which many would argue are the most important positions in basketball, yet they seem to make it work with great teamwork.

I didn't say they didn't. They have 3 all-stars and a bunch of role players. Their roster is not GREAT by any means.

Htownballa1622
03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Miami is peaking too early. My prediction is that they don't break the streak or win the title.

Doubt it. I think they're THAT good.

But that is your opinion which is fine too.

magic0320
03-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I didn't say they didn't. They have 3 all-stars and a bunch of role players. Their roster is not GREAT by any means.

if you need more than 3 all star (2 super star) and bunch of role playing then what else do you need to win championships?

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I don't think this streak is anything but indicative of how hot the Heat have been over a stretch of games. Considering the only win of import came @ OKC a month ago (and possibly the Pacers more recently), I'm not even sure how great the streak is considering how disinterested the Heat have looked in some of their losses this season.

If you look more closely at the streak, they are either outright defeating lesser opponents (a large reason their average margin in points along this streak is like +10.8), OR they are simply closing out contested games.

The streak is a great achievement of some level of consistency yet after it's over, it will be nothing more than a footnote in another year of remarkable growth for Lebron.

All of this is true, but it's still remarkable. I don't care if they beat 20 straight below average basketball teams by 1 point. That's still 20 consecutive wins against NBA basketball teams and deserves it's credit. I do think (as you stated), that this team will also be remembered for how unbelievably dominant James has been, which will only add to the legacy of this team. But streaks like this aren't easily forgotten, either.

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 04:16 PM

If that's the case, then who do you honestly see knocking them out in the playoffs? No team in the East has a legitimate shot, IMO. It would have to be the Spurs or Thunder in the Finals.

MaloDaw9
03-14-2013, 04:20 PM
I voted top 5..If they broke that 33 gm recored and won the Championship you have to give credit where credit is due. It would really suck but it would be historic.

KnickaBocka.44
03-14-2013, 04:29 PM
If that's the case, then who do you honestly see knocking them out in the playoffs? No team in the East has a legitimate shot, IMO. It would have to be the Spurs or Thunder in the Finals.

I think the Thunder have the best chance, but I think there are 2 or 3 teams in the east that have a chance to knock them out.

KnicksorBust
03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
It really depends on how they do in the playoffs. I look at that Boston run where they went to 7 games in the 1st round against Atlanta and if we see a team like the Pacers or Bulls do that to the Heat this season then it's going to significantly downgrade their season. If you tell me they sweep the East and then beat the Spurs 4-1... then we're talking definately top 5 and probably top 3.

justinnum1
03-14-2013, 05:43 PM
this the ultimate jinx thread lol. no way am i voting

oak2455
03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
i hate when you make the votes private. I want to see which clown picked average to above average champion lol

really?!?!?! go out its sunny

oak2455
03-14-2013, 05:55 PM
but back to the question defiantly top 10

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
I think the Thunder have the best chance, but I think there are 2 or 3 teams in the east that have a chance to knock them out.
Really? They cruises through the East two years ago and made their way through the conference last year despite the injury to Bosh. You honestly think three teams could legitimately beat the Heat in a seven-game series? If so, I think you're a little delusional.

It really depends on how they do in the playoffs. I look at that Boston run where they went to 7 games in the 1st round against Atlanta and if we see a team like the Pacers or Bulls do that to the Heat this season then it's going to significantly downgrade their season. If you tell me they sweep the East and then beat the Spurs 4-1... then we're talking definately top 5 and probably top 3.
That's a good point, and that should certainly play a part in it. If they struggle with the East the way they did last year, I suppose I'd have a hard time putting them in that top five category. But if they breeze through the East and have a relatively easy time in the Finals, that definitely helps their case.

JOhnnyTHaJet
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Who the hell voted for the 4th option?

KnickaBocka.44
03-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Really? They cruises through the East two years ago and made their way through the conference last year despite the injury to Bosh. You honestly think three teams could legitimately beat the Heat in a seven-game series? If so, I think you're a little delusional.

That's a good point, and that should certainly play a part in it. If they struggle with the East the way they did last year, I suppose I'd have a hard time putting them in that top five category. But if they breeze through the East and have a relatively easy time in the Finals, that definitely helps their case.

It's delusional to believe a team is beatable? Foolish? Maybe. Optimistic? Probably. Work on the word choice a little bit. I didn't say which team would beat them, or that they would get swept or anything-- that would be delusional.

Guppyfighter
03-14-2013, 06:46 PM

Cruise? If not for a bad no call that went against the Celtics would have won the series and lost to the Thunder in the finals.

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
It's delusional to believe a team is beatable? Foolish? Maybe. Optimistic? Probably. Work on the word choice a little bit. I didn't say which team would beat them, or that they would get swept or anything-- that would be delusional.

You're talking about a team that hasn't lost in the Eastern Conference in the two years since its formation and you're telling me there are three teams which could feasibly beat them in a seven game series. Delusional is exactly the word I meant to use. The Pacers have a shot, as would the Celtics with a healthy Rajon Rondo and Bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose. But those last two teams don't exist.

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Cruise? If not for a bad no call that went against the Celtics would have won the series and lost to the Thunder in the finals.

Look at what I wrote, dude. I said they cruised through the conference TWO years ago, which is true. They beat Philly, Boston and Chicago in five games. Last season was obviously a struggle, but that's only due to the injury to Bosh. With a healthy Chris Bosh, no way would those series with Indiana and Boston have been that close.

Guppyfighter
03-14-2013, 06:51 PM
They beat the Bulls in their series by a combined total of 11 points. That's a high variation series and would usually go six or seven. It went five. It was a little lucky they won in five.

I agree that there aren't three teams in the East that could beat the Heat though. At least realistically. There is always a probability of a crazy upset.

rockbottom2010
03-14-2013, 06:54 PM

i'll guarantee u its d12 fan and jimmer55 who voted below average

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
They beat the Bulls in their series by a combined total of 11 points. That's a high variation series and would usually go six or seven. It went five. It was a little lucky they won in five.
After getting blown out in the first game on the road, they won the next four by 10, 11, 8 and 3. I'm sorry, but that's not close. You can forgive a team for one bad loss in a series against a good NBA team, and that one loss does not diminish the Heat winning the series in five games. You can call it whatever you like, but the Heat did not struggle at all in the 2011 Eastern Conference postseason.

KnickaBocka.44
03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
You're talking about a team that hasn't lost in the Eastern Conference in the two years since its formation and you're telling me there are three teams which could feasibly beat them in a seven game series. Delusional is exactly the word I meant to use. The Pacers have a shot, as would the Celtics with a healthy Rajon Rondo and Bulls with a healthy Derrick Rose. But those last two teams don't exist.

You obviously meant to use it, it just isn't applicable here. Just because it hasn't happened does not mean that it won't. The Pacers have a chance. The Knicks, as bad as they have been playing lately, have a chance. The Bulls, even without Rose, have a chance.

Guppyfighter
03-14-2013, 07:02 PM
After getting blown out in the first game on the road, they won the next four by 10, 11, 8 and 3. I'm sorry, but that's not close. You can forgive a team for one bad loss in a series against a good NBA team, and that one loss does not diminish the Heat winning the series in five games. You can call it whatever you like, but the Heat did not struggle at all in the 2011 Eastern Conference postseason.

Differential is always the best indicator of future success. The fact one of the wins were by three points doesn't help the argument at all.

numba1CHANGsta
03-14-2013, 07:04 PM
First off The Heat play in a crappy Conference, so the streak alone isnt that impressive. Secondly, they wont break the Lakers record. And finally, they most likely will win the title cuz again they play in a poor conference so might as well pencil them in for the Finals so nah not very impressive at all, I can name 10 better championship teams better than this Heat team

Hardaway Here
03-14-2013, 07:29 PM
First off The Heat play in a crappy Conference, so the streak alone isnt that impressive. Secondly, they wont break the Lakers record. And finally, they most likely will win the title cuz again they play in a poor conference so might as well pencil them in for the Finals so nah not very impressive at all, I can name 10 better championship teams better than this Heat team

Yep because they only played teams in their conference during this streak. They still have to play the best team in the west for the title so if they still beat them what does that have to do with getting past their conference. Smh Some people act like its that easy to just win 20 games or more in a row there is a reason only a few teams have done it.

D-Leethal
03-14-2013, 07:34 PM
I would say top 5. One of the best duo's to ever do it, including the best regular season streak of all time and a ring?

I will add that I don't think they can fall behind 2-1 to the Pacers or 3-2 to a shell-of-itself Celtic team like they did last year, that will put a dent on their greatness. They need to roll through the east without breaking a sweat to be a top 5 team of all time because the east is weak as ****.

Hardaway Here
03-14-2013, 07:36 PM

If the best team wins the competition is always going to be a lesser opponent. I'll just forget that you only mentioned OKC and not LAC or MEM and a streaking HOU team at the time. I wont bring up the knicks indy or chicago since East is weak so no credit is given when you beat those teams.

ztilzer31
03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
It'll really depend on what happens in the playoffs but I put top 5 team. If they struggle in the playoffs a bit though that'll not look as good.

I really don't see any team in the NBA making even somewhat of a push on the Heat during the playoffs. They're just too good. Not just the big 3 either. It's their depth. They're top to bottom the best team in the NBA.

Shark
03-14-2013, 08:27 PM

I know, I get it, I am sure the rest of the PSD forum gets it. You love your Miami Heat and want LeBron and Wade and Company to just sit on your face all day, but why take away what the 1971-72 team accomplished and call it a joke?

Would you like a breakdown of the 20 game winning streak and who it came against?

Sun, Feb 3 @ Toronto 100-85
Mon, Feb 4 vs Charlotte 99-94
Wed, Feb 6 vs Houston 114-108
Fri, Feb 8 vs Los Angeles Clippers 111-89
Sun, Feb 10 vs Los Angeles Lakers 107-97
Tue, Feb 12 vs Portland 117-104
Thu, Feb 14 @ Oklahoma City 110-100
Wed, Feb 20 @ Atlanta 103-90
Thu, Feb 21 @ Chicago 86-67
Sat, Feb 23 @ Philadelphia 114-90
Sun, Feb 24 vs Cleveland 109-105
Tue, Feb 26 vs Sacramento 141-129 OT
Fri, Mar 1 vs Memphis 98-91
Sun, Mar 3 @ NY Knicks 99-93
Mon, Mar 4 @ Minnesota 97-81
Wed, Mar 6 vs Orlando 97-96
Fri, Mar 8 vs Philadelphia 102-93
Sun, Mar 10 vs Indiana 105-91
Tue, Mar 12 vs Atlanta 98-81
Wed, Mar 13 @ Philadelphia 98-94

10 of those games are below 0.500 teams who are straight up BAD and non compareable to Miami.
Chicago still hurting without Rose(I think the 67 points at home justifies that).
The Lakers were still trying to learn how to play together, since that time they have gone from below 0.500 to 8th spot.
The wins against tougher opponents, Indiana, Clippers, Memphis came on their home court.

The 2 wins I give them credit for is OKC and Knicks.

The EAST IS WEAK bud. Dont need to be discrediting what teams in the past have done. Oh and the Rockets win streak of 22 games will still be more greater then the heat even winning 26-29 games in a row. Lol I will be shocked if they won't reach 29 games, their next 10 opponents:
Milwaukee, Toronto, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Charlotte, Orlando, Chicago, New Orleans before their streak ends in San Antonio(unless they decide to be heroes and rest their core again).

Before I also get attacked by the Miami heat core, I am not discrediting Miami's accomplishments, they have done well. Just can't stand some of the clueless and arrogance some of these "fans" make. I don't care what ERA the game is played, theres a reason why those players were in the game during those times, they were the best.

Sactown
03-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Regardless of competition 20 straight is still an impressive streak, all teams play ****** teams, but only Miami has won 20 in a row.

ATX
03-14-2013, 08:43 PM
I know, I get it, I am sure the rest of the PSD forum gets it. You love your Miami Heat and want LeBron and Wade and Company to just sit on your face all day, but why take away what the 1971-72 team accomplished and call it a joke?

Would you like a breakdown of the 20 game winning streak and who it came against?

Sun, Feb 3 @ Toronto 100-85
Mon, Feb 4 vs Charlotte 99-94
Wed, Feb 6 vs Houston 114-108
Fri, Feb 8 vs Los Angeles Clippers 111-89
Sun, Feb 10 vs Los Angeles Lakers 107-97
Tue, Feb 12 vs Portland 117-104
Thu, Feb 14 @ Oklahoma City 110-100
Wed, Feb 20 @ Atlanta 103-90
Thu, Feb 21 @ Chicago 86-67
Sat, Feb 23 @ Philadelphia 114-90
Sun, Feb 24 vs Cleveland 109-105
Tue, Feb 26 vs Sacramento 141-129 OT
Fri, Mar 1 vs Memphis 98-91
Sun, Mar 3 @ NY Knicks 99-93
Mon, Mar 4 @ Minnesota 97-81
Wed, Mar 6 vs Orlando 97-96
Fri, Mar 8 vs Philadelphia 102-93
Sun, Mar 10 vs Indiana 105-91
Tue, Mar 12 vs Atlanta 98-81
Wed, Mar 13 @ Philadelphia 98-94

10 of those games are below 0.500 teams who are straight up BAD and non compareable to Miami.
Chicago still hurting without Rose(I think the 67 points at home justifies that).
The Lakers were still trying to learn how to play together, since that time they have gone from below 0.500 to 8th spot.
The wins against tougher opponents, Indiana, Clippers, Memphis came on their home court.

The 2 wins I give them credit for is OKC and Knicks.

The EAST IS WEAK bud. Dont need to be discrediting what teams in the past have done. Oh and the Rockets win streak of 22 games will still be more greater then the heat even winning 26-29 games in a row. Lol I will be shocked if they won't reach 29 games, their next 10 opponents:
Milwaukee, Toronto, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, Charlotte, Orlando, Chicago, New Orleans before their streak ends in San Antonio(unless they decide to be heroes and rest their core again).

Before I also get attacked by the Miami heat core, I am not discrediting Miami's accomplishments, they have done well. Just can't stand some of the clueless and arrogance some of these "fans" make. I don't care what ERA the game is played, theres a reason why those players were in the game during those times, they were the best.

So you only give credit for 2 of the 20 wins? This by all means should immediately discredit your "Opinion". Somehow I feel if this team won 50 straight plus the title, you'd still find a way to "Discredit" the accomplishment. This is a historic run, regardless of you hatred for Miami. Your post is full of excuses. Miami has wrecked the West, so how is it that you say even if Miami wins 29 games straight it isn't as impressive? Nonsense. I've been infracted for less than saying "Sit on your face all day" btw.

mightybosstone
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Except the Heat have beaten a ton of good teams in BOTH conferences during this streak. So far, they've beaten Houston, the Clippers, the Lakers, OKC, Atlanta twice, Chicago, Memphis, New York and Indiana. That's 10 of their 20 wins against playoff bound teams. And if you're going the "weak conference equals weak champion" route, then how about Jordan's Bulls in the 90s? The Rockets, Jazz, Suns, Sonics and Spurs were all in the West, while the Knicks and Magic were the Bulls only real competition (Pacers and Heat to a lesser degree).

king4day
03-15-2013, 02:29 PM
I can't wait for that game against the Spurs. Possible finals matchup.

lakers4sho
03-15-2013, 02:31 PM
they won't

OceanSpray
03-15-2013, 02:32 PM

And you're just saying that because you're a Lakers fan. He's right. The streak by Houston was much more meaningful since the league actually had talent and Houston surprised everyone. If Heat can break the record, they are a top 5 team for sure.

Bruno
03-15-2013, 02:39 PM

aren't you late to gym class?

Bruno
03-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Miami would go down as one of the greatest teams for sure. breaking an all-time record, and going back-to-back? both are legendary accomplishments.

ChicagoJ
03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
I think the heat are a top ten all time team most likely. The east does seem especially weak compare to other generations though.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
If they finish around 63-64 wins and win the title, wiping through the east and winning it all, they enter top 5. I don't think they beat 33 games though.

Slug3
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
I honestly wish Miami losses soon. They have been playing sloppy the last 2 weeks and have been getting close call wins. I care more about winning the championship then the streaks. They need to get back to playing great ball, and I believe that is going to come with a few losses to get their head straight.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2013, 03:47 PM
to those who complain they are in a weak conference, you do know they are 23-5 against the west, right? That is actually stronger than any west team against the west.

Big Zo
03-15-2013, 03:55 PM
I honestly wish Miami losses soon. They have been playing sloppy the last 2 weeks and have been getting close call wins. I care more about winning the championship then the streaks. They need to get back to playing great ball, and I believe that is going to come with a few losses to get their head straight.

F that noise. Win as many as possible. That's why they play the games. Shoot for the stars, and become one of the greatest teams of all-time.

Sadds The Gr8
03-15-2013, 03:56 PM
No doubt it'd be impressive, but the eastern conference is a joke. like 5 out of the other 7 teams have their best player injured for the year or almost all of it, and the rest of the east after that is ****in pathetic.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2013, 04:01 PM
No doubt it'd be impressive, but the eastern conference is a joke. like 5 out of the other 7 teams have their best player injured for the year or almost all of it, and the rest of the east after that is ****in pathetic.

again, they are 23-5 against the west, which is a higher winning % than anyone in the west. Do you think Michael's Bulls were playing in the powerhouse conference?

mightybosstone
03-15-2013, 04:08 PM

again, they are 23-5 against the west, which is a higher winning % than anyone in the west. Do you think Michael's Bulls were playing in the powerhouse conference?

And look at the teams they've beaten during this run: the Rockets, Clippers, Lakers, Grizzlies and Thunder. To say the streak isn't as impressive because the East is weak is to completely ignore the teams they've beaten during this streak.

Sadds The Gr8
03-15-2013, 04:10 PM
No, but I don't remember a conference being as terrible as the east is this year. key injuries and pathetic lottery teams = garbage conference. I'd be much more impressed if Rose, Rondo (I know Boston's been better w/o him but still...), Granger were healthy.

Sadds The Gr8
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
And look at the teams they've beaten during this run: the Rockets, Clippers, Lakers, Grizzlies and Thunder. To say the streak isn't as impressive because the East is weak is to completely ignore the teams they've beaten during this streak.

I'm talking more about the all-time ranking. They're running through this terrible injury-ravaged conference, as expected.

Sactown
03-15-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm talking more about the all-time ranking. They're running through this terrible injury-ravaged conference, as expected.

Is that their fault?

Sadds The Gr8
03-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Is that their fault?

does that have anything to do with my point? obviously its not. Just saying I don't think it's THAT impressive if they run through the east. Obviously 33 games is impressive but I won't lose my **** like everyone else will if they do that, then run through the east in the playoffs.

Big Zo
03-15-2013, 04:43 PM
does that have anything to do with my point? obviously its not. Just saying I don't think it's THAT impressive if they run through the east. Obviously 33 games is impressive but I won't lose my **** like everyone else will if they do that, then run through the east in the playoffs.

It's even more impressive when you take into account that they've been in the finals two years in a row, hence have played more games than any team the last couple years. They also beat every team in the league this year.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
The Philadelphia 76ers were at home and beating the defending champs by three points with 3:57 left on the clock. The Philadelphia crowd was on its feet, and momentum was on the 76ers' side Wednesday. All they had to do was cling to that three-point lead for less than four minutes and they would snap the Miami Heat's historic 19-game win streak.

The 76ers lost by four.

Another close game, another victory for the Heat.

The win streak stands at 20 games, and six weeks have gone by since we've seen the number in their loss column change. But Wednesday's win over Philadelphia underscores a hallmark of the Heat's remarkable run and their 2012-13 season as a whole:

They have been almost unbeatable in the clutch.

Twelve games have gone into clutch time during the streak, and the Heat have won them all. By clutch time, I'm going by NBA.com's standard: the game's final five minutes and the score is within five points. Every single one of those 12 close games have gone the Heat's way, including Wednesday.

Hollinger's Playoff Odds

Which teams do the odds favor? Check our projections daily. Playoff Odds
The Heat, like any team on a long string of wins, have needed a little luck here and there, but when you look deeper into the numbers, you begin to realize that something more substantial is happening with this team. To illustrate, here is the score in 44 minutes of clutch time during the streak, according to NBA.com's stats tool:

Heat 134, Opponents 71.

That's in 44 minutes, not even a full game's worth of time. Think about that. It's one thing to score 134 points -- which is a staggering total in itself -- but the Heat have dominated on the defensive side of the ball as well. If we translate these numbers to a full 48-minute game, we're looking at a win margin of nearly 70 points (68.7 points to be exact). In other words, they would be accused of running up the score.

This isn't just a 20-game fluke either. Sure, a deficit that large inevitably will be boosted by some occasional sprinkles of good fortune, but the Heat have been juggernauts in the clutch all season. Even before the current 20-game win streak, the Heat were 15-6 in games that went into clutch time, a .714 win percentage that would lead the league. (The Spurs are currently in second at .710.) As stunning as it sounds, the Heat have won 27 of the 33 tight games that have gone into clutch time overall.

Have we ever seen clutch dominance like this before? Yes, but it's rare. After adjusting for pace, the Heat have outscored opponents by 32.9 points per 100 possessions in 155 minutes of clutch time. According to NBA.com's database that goes back to 1996-97, that massive point differential ranks second. The most dominant team in clutch time of the past 17 seasons? The 2008-09 Cleveland Cavaliers (plus-39.9). Yup, LeBron James has led the two most dominant clutch teams on record. So much for the notion he can't close games.

Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE/Getty Images
Ray Allen and Shane Battier are used with the Big Three specifically for clutch situations.But why, exactly, have the Heat been so good in crunch time?

Here's the reason the clutch dominance doesn't scream fluke: The Heat are a different team when the game is on the line.

If you've watched the Heat closely this season, you've noticed that Erik Spoelstra has saved his best for last. He tends to go unconventional by surrounding James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh with two shooters: Ray Allen and Shane Battier. Yes, that's the Big Three with Miami's marquee free-agent signing of the past two offseasons.

And that lineup has been gangbusters this season, outscoring opponents by 18.5 points per 100 possessions. But if we look closer, we'll find that Spoelstra saves that lineup almost exclusively for critical moments. Of the 114 minutes that lineup has seen the court, 90 of them have come in the fourth quarter or overtime.

It's basically the basketball equivalent of a closer in baseball. As you might have guessed, it's the Heat's most-used clutch time lineup, outscoring opponents by 45 points in 50 minutes (a terrifying 39.3 points per 100 possessions). By contrast, the Heat's starting lineup with Udonis Haslem and Mario Chalmers hasn't even played a clutch time minute this season.

This is why the Heat might be even better than their 49-14 record suggests. Spoelstra has kept his best lineups on the backburner until he absolutely needs them. Come playoff-time when the stakes are high throughout the game, Spoelstra will likely bust out those devastating closing lineups earlier and more often. And the league, evidently, hasn't found an answer for them yet.

Can the streak continue?
Wins Percentage
To 22*: 45.8
To 23: 27.9
To 33**: 1.2
To 34: 1.0
Win out: 0.4

*Ties modern day record set by 2007-08 Rockets
**Ties all-time record set by 1971-72 Lakers
The Heat will need a healthy dose of clutch magic if they want to keep their streak alive. As of now, there's a 45.8 percent chance -- essentially a coin flip -- that they'll beat the Milwaukee Bucks on Friday night and the Toronto Raptors on Sunday night (both road games), according to a win probability metric outlined here. Two more wins would tie the Houston Rockets record of 22 games set in 2007-08, the longest single-season win streak since the NBA/ABA merger.

To break the Rockets' streak? The Heat would have to beat the Boston Celtics at TD Garden on the second night of a back-to-back Monday. The percent chance that happens is just 27.9 percent, or roughly the equivalent of Wade making his next 3-pointer. Not great odds to say the least.

The all-time record of 33 straight wins should be safe as well, despite what some from that 1971-72 Lakers team might say. There's just a 1.2 percent chance that the Heat will build a 13-game win streak on top of what they've already done. But at this point, we wouldn't put anything past them.

From ESPN.

Sactown
03-15-2013, 06:05 PM
From ESPN.

I hate putting percents on something happening when it concerns wins.. Like it's only a 28 percent chance they win 3 more games?

rockbottom2010
03-15-2013, 06:07 PM
the celtics are talking soo much **** about the heat.....specifically terry and pierce...big mistake

Collings94
03-15-2013, 06:08 PM
The dominant teams from the past, particularly the 80s would destroy the Heat if they played them in a series. The Heat could never touch the 86 Celtics in a game because the league is set up differently. Heat have 2-3 HOF, the Celtics had 4, arguably top 50 players depending on how you feel about DJ. I think if they did all of the above, they would rank somewhere between the 86 Celtics, Showtime Lakers, 01 LA and 96 Bulls.

Collings94
03-15-2013, 06:09 PM
the celtics are talking soo much **** about the heat.....specifically terry and pierce...big mistake

Oh ****, hope they don't whip them at home in a meaningless game in March!!

rockbottom2010
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Oh ****, hope they don't whip them at home in a meaningless game in March!!

this is a personal game for both teams....so obviously its a meaningful game...a bitter rivalry

b@llhog24
03-15-2013, 07:11 PM
If they don't win the title, none of the above

If they win the title, don't beat the streak, play like last year in playoffs - top 15-20
If they win the title, don't beat the streak, dominate in playoffs (lose <6 games total) - top 10
If they win the title, beat the streak, dominate in playoffs, top 2 or 3

+1.

Good thing LeBron has been in a mini slump to offset this then.

Hardaway Here
03-15-2013, 07:16 PM
I don't understand the posters that discredit what the Heat have done this season. Saying things like the east is weak makes no sense because they've won 23 games out of their 49 from the west. 10 wins were from teams in the playoff picture and if it is so easy to beat sub .500 teams then why aren't all the playoff contenders on streaks like this. To get a streak of 20 wins or more in the NBA is impressive no matter how you look at it. It's not something you see every year. The ignorance of some people amaze me.

Hawkeye15
03-15-2013, 07:36 PM
I hate putting percents on something happening when it concerns wins.. Like it's only a 28 percent chance they win 3 more games?

I read more into the argument that LeBron isn't clutch. He has led the two most "clutch" teams in regular season history.

Sactown
03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
I read more into the argument that LeBron isn't clutch. He has led the two most "clutch" teams in regular season history.

I've been saying that for awhile now haha, Being clutch is much more than just scoring in the last 5 seconds. Was just pointing out what I dislike about the article, but the other stuff is good. Definitely puts clutch into a much larger scale. Because you don't score the final bucket doesn't mean it could of happened without you

JordansBulls
03-16-2013, 04:33 PM
I can't wait for that game against the Spurs. Possible finals matchup.

Actually going to be going to that game. I hope the streak is still going to then.:clap:

ManRam
03-16-2013, 04:39 PM
"Among the greatest" I guess.

They'd be the 11th team to repeat (I think), and holding the win streak record would vault them above a decent chunk of those teams.

Top 10 FOR SURE. Not sure about top 5. Their point differential is not at a top-10 or 20 level right now.

Also, I wouldn't bank on all of this criteria to happen.

Chronz
03-16-2013, 04:40 PM
I think it's extremely unlikely the Heat will actually break the streak. They've already come close to losing to a few teams, and they're bound to have an off night eventually. But there's a very good chance they could come close, and if they could find a way to win 65+ games, have a streak of 25+ wins, win another MVP for Lebron (likely) and win back-to-back rings, I think they're in the top 10 discussion at the very least. Should they somehow do all that AND break the Lakers record, I think they're worthy of being in the top 5 discussion with teams like the 96 Bulls, 72 Lakers, 86 Celtics, 83 76ers, 87 Lakers and 89 Pistions.

You have the 72 Lakers among the best ever? Thats not even Wilts best team IMO and his.

MetroMan
03-16-2013, 04:49 PM
This streak doesn't surprise me. They got lebron, possibly goat. Wade, third best SG ever. Ray, best shooter ever. Bosh, best power forward in the nba. And a lot of good 3 point shooters

Tony_Starks
03-16-2013, 06:27 PM
I don't think they will. Even though the east coast is total garbage I'm thinking some horrible team will upset them and stop the streak......

OceanSpray
03-17-2013, 12:55 PM
I don't think they will. Even though the east coast is total garbage I'm thinking some horrible team will upset them and stop the streak......

Miami has a better record against the West than East.

NYKNYGNYY
03-17-2013, 01:22 PM
don't think itll happen I accidently put number one but I say top 3 maybe number 2

Hangtime
03-17-2013, 02:48 PM
To go on a streak of 20 plus games in the NBA is incredible regardless of what teams they play. The longer you keep winning the harder it gets because the teams you are playing, even the bottom feeders, are playing you much tougher. Everyone they play from here out want to be the ones to knock them off and end the streak.

And it doesn't matter what era of basketball these streaks occurred whether it's the 72 Lakers or the Rockets. It's impressive regardless just to be able to maintain your intensity night in and out.

OceanSpray
03-17-2013, 03:34 PM
11 more wins to go, let's do it!

Tony_Starks
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
They're on a incredible run, I still think either the Celtics or Spurs might have something for them....

zB_#85
03-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Lol top 5. Gtfo people. Half you dipshits aren't even old enough to have seen most of the better teams than them. Hell neither am I but I've studied enough nba history to know that they're not top 5. If they 3-peat and look as impressive next year then the arguments can at least start.

NYG+Braves
03-17-2013, 04:54 PM
its funny how everyone thinks they wont break the streak
but no1 believes they wont win the title.

zB_#85
03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
its funny how everyone thinks they wont break the streak
but no1 believes they wont win the title.

You can lose 12 games in the playoffs and still win a title. We're talking about 33 straight here.

Jazzgear
03-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Mind over matter -- no one cares what relevance you place on the record -- cause you don't matter:rolleyes:

CavsYanksDuke
03-17-2013, 05:53 PM

...Very confusing post. You start off saying it doesn't matter, except for that time it did, and that the NBA sucks? I don't get your reply. I'd say that both of those streaks are interesting, especially considering both teams had Shane Battier.

Battier for President!

Tony_Starks
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
It's impressive but let's put it in perspective: no D Rose, Rondo, Amare, Melo in and out.... I mean Indy is the second best team in the east for Pete's sake! They're like Varsity going against the JV...

Hardaway Here
03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
It's impressive but let's put it in perspective: no D Rose, Rondo, Amare, Melo in and out.... I mean Indy is the second best team in the east for Pete's sake! They're like Varsity going against the JV...

Yes because their streak is solely against wins against Boston, Chicago, Knicks, and Indy. Your post makes no sense. Also they have the best record vs West teams over teams that are in the West. So by your logic the west is weak to the heat to.

Tony_Starks
03-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Yes because their streak is solely against wins against Boston, Chicago, Knicks, and Indy. Your post makes no sense. Also they have the best record vs West teams over teams that are in the West. So by your logic the west is weak to the heat to.

There are only 4 serious teams in the West, maybe 5 if you wan't to include either Denver or LA. That's nothing to brag about, still better than the pathetic east but not that great.

They have a winning record against the west true but when you get to play some of the teams in the east that are total jokes 4 times a year what do you really expect is going to happen?

OceanSpray
03-17-2013, 06:27 PM
There are only 4 serious teams in the West, maybe 5 if you wan't to include either Denver or LA. That's nothing to brag about, still better than the pathetic east but not that great.

They have a winning record against the west true but when you get to play some of the teams in the east that are total jokes 4 times a year what do you really expect is going to happen?

23/5 vs West, better record against them than the East. Sorry but saying they wouldn't do just as good in the West is a bit absurd.

mightybosstone
03-17-2013, 06:31 PM
You have the 72 Lakers among the best ever? Thats not even Wilts best team IMO and his.
The 1967 Philly team was damn talented and it had Wilt at his peak, but the 72 Lakers won one more game, lost fewer losses in the playoffs, had a higher point differential and had West and Gail Goodrich. IMO, they aren't too far apart, but the 72 Lakers get the advantage in my book because of the streak.

Dade County
03-17-2013, 06:50 PM
...Very confusing post. You start off saying it doesn't matter, except for that time it did, and that the NBA sucks? I don't get your reply. I'd say that both of those streaks are interesting, especially considering both teams had Shane Battier.

Battier for President!

WHat?

What I am saying is this... If the HEAT can pass the rockets 22 win streak that would mean something to me, because it was done in this era ( free agency, similar salary, ...etc).

I really can't compare the HEAT win streak to what the 71-72 Lakers did, because it was a different era. So I really don't care about it ( the Lakers record that is).

If the HEAT win 23 straight, that would be good enough for me, because it's in this era. so it would mean more to me.

20 to 30 years from now, it will be some other team braking some other record, and fans will feel the same way.

Tony_Starks
03-17-2013, 06:53 PM
23/5 vs West, better record against them
than the East. Sorry but saying they wouldn't do just as good in the West is
a bit absurd.

If you look at their last 10 wins only 2 of them were against west coast teams and one of which was the TWolves. If you look at the combined record of teams they beat during that time its below .500.

Im not trying to discredit them I'm just saying when you play teams like philly twice in 10 games and teams like Orlando Im not getting super excited over those wins those are gimmies....

Hardaway Here
03-17-2013, 07:18 PM
If you look at their last 10 wins only 2 of them were against west coast teams and one of which was the TWolves. If you look at the combined record of teams they beat during that time its below .500.

Im not trying to discredit them I'm just saying when you play teams like philly twice in 10 games and teams like Orlando Im not getting super excited over those wins those are gimmies....

I wouldn't get excited either about tying the 2nd longest winning streak in NBA history. Winning 20 or more games in a row is too mainstream any team in the East can do it.

Chronz
03-17-2013, 08:38 PM
The 1967 Philly team was damn talented and it had Wilt at his peak, but the 72 Lakers won one more game, lost fewer losses in the playoffs, had a higher point differential and had West and Gail Goodrich. IMO, they aren't too far apart, but the 72 Lakers get the advantage in my book because of the streak.

You know your stuff so I wont bore you with a history lecture, and those are all fine, objective measures, but there has to be room for subjectivity in these sort of arguments. What are your thoughts on what Bill Simmons said of that era? If you remember he spoke about the weakening league at that point playing a role in those inflated totals and curious streaks (Bucks, Lakers, Knicks, and Celtics had long streaks IIRC). I know Dean Oliver has attempted to measure parity and found similar results to that opinion but admitted it wasn't a concrete assessment.

Also wondering what you think about Wilt himself calling that Philly team the most talented and the Lakers team the greatest group of overachievers. Those Sixers were named the best team of all time at one point, not sure if the 71 Lakers got that kind of admiration. Well except from one Phil Jackson. Its funny, I just got done reading Rosen's "The Pivotal Season" that's all about that team (horrible writing BTW) and Phil says his Bulls teams would have mopped the floor with any 80's team, but that 71 Team would have given them a run for their money.

How many players would you say were in their prime on that Lakers team?

Hawkeye15
03-17-2013, 08:41 PM

23-5 against the west, better winning percentage then any west team against the west. You were saying?

Hawkeye15
03-17-2013, 08:43 PM

I don't think you need to be excited haha, who cares. It just shows that the Heat are closing the season firing on all cylinders, healthy, have the best player in two decades, and will enter the playoffs as the clear favorite of winning the title. That doesn't happen often at all.

Bravo95
03-18-2013, 06:14 AM
Strong case for Top 5, with the '96 Bulls, '72 Lakers, '71 Bucks, '08 Celtics, etc.

If they don't get the streak but still run through the East, they still might have a case for it.