PDA

View Full Version : Is Steph Curry becoming a SuperStar?

Mr.SmackYoMama
03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Honest question he has put up huge numbers as of late and has definitely been coming through clutch. Jmo but i think he is a budding SuperStar not yet but if he keeps playing like this there is not denying it. Am I crazy or is he really coming into his own??

Swashcuff
03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Sure can be. Would like to see him improve his D a bit more tho. Saw him on max potential as being a 28 ppg scorer when he came into the league. He's right on course for that. Still need to see his play in the post season and him improve on the defensive end of the floor before he can become a superstar however.

Mr.SmackYoMama
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
Sure can be. Would like to see him improve his D a bit more tho. Saw him on max potential as being a 28 ppg scorer when he came into the league. He's right on course for that. Still need to see his play in the post season and him improve on the defensive end of the floor before he can become a superstar however.

Nice! I agree love the kid and the potential, we need to make the playoffs first LoL

HouRealCoach
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
I highly doubt that he would ever be a superstar

Mr.SmackYoMama
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM

Is there areason for your assumption?

JiffyMix88
03-14-2013, 01:51 PM

I highly doubt you will ever be a superstar in the music business

2-ONE-5
03-14-2013, 01:52 PM
how can u highly doubt that? he is on a tear and just had a histroic game 2 weeks ago

He115ing
03-14-2013, 01:56 PM
He is until he gets another ankle injury.

sfattahian
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM
his ankle injuries are long gone, a thing of the past.

He absolutely will go down as the greatest, most gifted shooter to ever play the game... by a good margin.

He isn't physical enough to dominate the game in other ways like defense and rebounding, but he has developed greatly as a playmaker and his passing (particularly left-handed) has improved leaps and bounds.

He is definitely a star and is a borderline superstar... if he keeps developing and gains playoff experience, he'll be a superstar.

Nobody has ever shot the ball the way Curry has this season at times. He makes shots nobody has any business taking. It's one of the most impressive displays of skill I have ever seen in sports. This guy was born to shoot. You can't come up with a shot that he can't hit whether its off the dribble, moving left, moving right, on the run, fading away, you name it! He's got every shot in the book!

Mr.SmackYoMama
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM

He absolutely will go down as the greatest, most gifted shooter to ever play the game... by a good margin.

He isn't physical enough to dominate the game in other ways like defense and rebounding, but he has developed greatly as a playmaker and his passing (particularly left-handed) has improved leaps and bounds.

He is definitely a star and is a borderline superstar... if he keeps developing and gains playoff experience, he'll be a superstar.

Nobody has ever shot the ball the way Curry has this season at times. He makes shots nobody has any business taking. It's one of the most impressive displays of skill I have ever seen in sports. This guy was born to shoot. You can't come up with a shot that he can't hit whether its off the dribble, moving left, moving right, on the run, fading away, you name it! He's got every shot in the book!

I was like is this dude trollin LoL.....But then i saw you're a Dubs fan. Idk if he will go down as one of the greatest shooters ever unless this type of performance lasts throughout his career but he is def on his way to stardom IMO.

Dade County
03-14-2013, 02:06 PM
A star, yes... But in order to become a super star, you need global recognition.

Kobe, Lbj, Wade... They're is only 3 super stars in the league right now.

Edit**

OMG, let me add this... KD is a super star in the NBA, but the world outside of the U.S doesn't really no him.

yaswaggin
03-14-2013, 02:10 PM
To be a superstar you need to be a global icon, elite offensively, a franchise player, and be on a winning team.

Swashcuff
03-14-2013, 02:12 PM

And the fanatics are here.

yaswaggin
03-14-2013, 02:13 PM
A star, yes... But in order to become a super star, you need global recognition.

Kobe, Lbj, Wade... They're is only 3 super stars in the league right now.

Edit**

OMG, let me add this... KD is a super star in the NBA, but the world outside of the U.S doesn't really no him.

I'd say people in china know as much about KD as they know about Wade

tredigs
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
I was like is this dude trollin LoL.....But then i saw you're a Dubs fan. Idk if he will go down as one of the greatest shooters ever unless this type of performance lasts throughout his career but he is def on his way to stardom IMO.

This "elite" and "star to SuperStar" semantic argument that always goes on here is a little petty and irrelevant to me. What is your definition of a superstar? Top ten play? Top ten popularity? Top 5? I don't know, and it doesn't really matter.

I do know that his overall game (especially recognition defensively and lack of dumb passing) is improving, and that his shooting is reaching a level that - on his volume - puts him in a category that only a select few people in the games history have ever reached. The last 40 games he's at about 24/4/7 on 45/47/91. He needs to get better at drawing easy contact and get that shot to the line more than 3-4 times a game; his TS% and overall impact would take another leap. I have said and do think that he could quit the game today and I'd recognize him as the best 3pt shooter ever. Others have a case - and his sample size is smaller - but it's more than enough for me to label him that.

From personal observation of seeing most of the games in his career, I will say that more than ever (as in the past 3-4 months) I now feel like he fully understands just how good he is and is willing to simply unleash on teams; and it's working. He's also adopted a more vocal leadership role on the team looks to have that competitive fire that some so-called superstars never actualize.

Dade County
03-14-2013, 02:39 PM

ummm, maybe the young basketball fans, but you have to remember, the Asians really only respect a champion, that is why Kobe has been able to cash $$$ in over their.

Wade's camp has heavily marketed Wade over their, so I will have to disagree with you... But KD is on the rise.

kduce
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
I think the kid is amazing and has all kinds of talent and potential. At worst he can be an effective pure scorer for his team and at best the sky is the limit. I don't know exactly where to classify him, but I'd take him on my team in a second.

I Rock Shaqs
03-14-2013, 03:02 PM

Damn son i was expecting you to be terrible but I would definitely download your **** illegally. Nobody On my Level goes hard.

SugeKnight
03-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Have to be an allstar before you can be a superstar. When the Warriors beat the clippers in the playoffs he'll get more recognition

BKLYNpigeon
03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
No. he's not that type of play

IMO, Superstar label is only for a few players. Curry is very talented, but his game has flaws. he needs to cut down on the Turnovers, and improve his defense. This season has been his breakout year, the ceiling is very high.

LeperMessiah
03-14-2013, 03:05 PM
He can play the basketball pretty good.

BKLYNpigeon
03-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I watched 95% of Warriors games this season.

Curry just has to take care of the ball better he averages 3 a game and his assist to turnover ratio is 2.18. he also gets a bit deer in headlights in the last 2 minutes of the game.

this kid is young. and hasent played many games because of injury. He'll learn and get better.

jerellh528
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
ummm, maybe the young basketball fans, but you have to remember, the Asians really only respect a champion, that is why Kobe has been able to cash $$$ in over their.

Wade's camp has heavily marketed Wade over their, so I will have to disagree with you... But KD is on the rise.

I've been to china several times and your average citizen/ taxi driver only knows about kobe and yao.

PraiseJesus
03-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Curry is god

JerseyPalahniuk
03-14-2013, 03:37 PM

You forgot a few players...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-21/lakers-kobe-bryant-has-top-selling-nba-jersey-internationally.html

gwrighter
03-14-2013, 03:43 PM
He has the talent to become a superstar but I fear his durability will ultimately hold him back.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-14-2013, 03:48 PM
Curry will never be a super star, but i do think he will become a solid all star.

ewing
03-14-2013, 03:50 PM

he will.

NoahH
03-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Curry will go down as the greatest shooter of all time. I hope he can become a superstar but i think he's a star for sure

KnickaBocka.44
03-14-2013, 04:35 PM
If he can stay healthy he will have a chance to be one of the greatest 3 point shooters ever but at this point I am just not sure he can.

sunsfan88
03-14-2013, 05:30 PM
If he can improve his passing and stay healthy, he can be as much of a superstar Nash was in 04-'10.

Hawkeye15
03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Superstar? Not by my definition, but I think he can be a perennial all star and he may make an all NBA team here or there. But with so much competition at the guard position, it will be tough.

NYCkid12
03-14-2013, 05:38 PM
I hate when "known around the world" or "global icon" is used to determine super stars

So was Tim Duncan not a super star? I don't believe he was globally recognized

Anyways, I will say that Stephen Curry is on a tear but I don't think he's the on the defensive end...offensively he can shoot the ball with anyone... I think he could be, but probably will be a high level all star

I'd like to see how he does against the Chris Paul, Russel Westbrook, and Tony Parker's of the world though (not a knock I just don't remember ever seeing those match ups to judge how he does against the ebest PGs)

tredigs
03-14-2013, 05:48 PM
If he can improve his passing and stay healthy, he can be as much of a superstar Nash was in 04-'10.

If he improves his passing he'd probably be more so. His USG% is not that high (Nash's was always fairly low compared to the volume guys too), so if he continues to carry a larger team role, being a 27/4/9 guy on 50/45/90 isn't out of the question a bit for Curry. Those would be legend numbers if he gets there.

KnicksorBust
03-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Was Reggie Miller a superstar?

KnicksorBust
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
If he improves his passing he'd probably be more so. His USG% is not that high (Nash's was always fairly low compared to the volume guys too), so if he continues to carry a larger team role, being a 27/4/9 guy on 50/45/90 isn't out of the question a bit for Curry. Those would be legend numbers if he gets there.

Do you believe he will average that?

tredigs
03-14-2013, 06:00 PM

He's at around 24/4/7 on 46/46/92 over the last ~30 games on a USG% around 25%. If he continues to improve his passing and takes on a role that nets him somewhere near the top ten in the league in USG% rather than the ~top 30 he's currently at, then yeah, absolutely do. I think it's an incremental improvement really - a more gaudy statline for him to shoot for that's still entirely possible would be 25/5/10 on 50/50/90.

Lord Leoshes
03-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Put him to work his @$$ off in the summer with a defensive minded coach, & have him forget about the offensive end just for the summer, & only concentrate on his all around defensive mentality, then yes I could easily see him as a franchise player who could definitely be in the top 10 best players in the league conversation.

b@llhog24
03-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Depends on your defintion of superstar. For me? No.

Guppyfighter
03-14-2013, 06:36 PM
I hate when "known around the world" or "global icon" is used to determine super stars

Anyways, I will say that Stephen Curry is on a tear but I don't think he's the on the defensive end...offensively he can shoot the ball with anyone... I think he could be, but probably will be a high level all star

I'd like to see how he does against the Chris Paul, Russel Westbrook, and Tony Parker's of the world though (not a knock I just don't remember ever seeing those match ups to judge how he does against the ebest PGs)

He's kicked the **** out of Paul.

ThaDubs
03-14-2013, 07:13 PM
Not a super star but borderline. I mean pretty much the whole world heard about his historic garden game and if he can play anywhere close to that level he will make multiple all-star and all NBA teams in the future. If he increases his defense he will be close, and in my opinion he doesn't need to become a better passer as he is already one of the best in the league. He's a 49/46/91 player if all goes well. He should have been an all-star this year but whatever. He's only getting better and he's basically an all-star lock for next year long as he's healthy. Already arguably the best shooter ever (2nd all time career 3P% and with a lot more attempts and off dribble shots than Steve Curr) and is become a great all around player. He's becoming great around the rim using his off hand and his handles are getting tighter. It's just a matter of his defense becoming better and we'll see what comes in the future.

tredigs
03-14-2013, 07:51 PM

They play in the same league, these matchups have happened.

TP used to give him a huge amount of trouble, though lately that's evened up.

Cp3 has the edge lifetime (Curry putting up 16/4/6 on 50/49/92, and remember that includes his rookie/sophomore year versus prime Cp3), but Steph's outplayed him 2 out of 3 times this season and generally does not have any trouble with Paul offensively.

Despite OKC dominating matchups versus GSW, Curry generally outplays Westbrook (nearly identical per-game statlines with Curry's %'s crushing Westbrook's).

One of the bigger advantages against the elite PG's is in D. Rose versus Curry, who just can't do anything against the kid. 19/6/6 + 2.8 spg for Curry on .49/.44/.87 versus Rose's 17/3/8 + 0.6 spg on .38/.059/.78. Dubs with the winning record.

Curry plays better against the best, and that is becoming more stark this season.

D-Leethal
03-14-2013, 07:57 PM
I think he's a top 5 PG if his ankles hold up.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Superstar? Not by my definition, but I think he can be a perennial all star and he may make an all NBA team here or there. But with so much competition at the guard position, it will be tough.

+1

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Not a super star but borderline. I mean pretty much the whole world heard about his historic garden game and if he can play anywhere close to that level he will make multiple all-star and all NBA teams in the future. If he increases his defense he will be close, and in my opinion he doesn't need to become a better passer as he is already one of the best in the league. He's a 49/46/91 player if all goes well. He should have been an all-star this year but whatever. He's only getting better and he's basically an all-star lock for next year long as he's healthy. Already arguably the best shooter ever (2nd all time career 3P% and with a lot more attempts and off dribble shots than Steve Curr) and is become a great all around player. He's becoming great around the rim using his off hand and his handles are getting tighter. It's just a matter of his defense becoming better and we'll see what comes in the future.

I was waiting for you to show up. I was expecting you to say YES YES HE WILL BE SOON.lol. We'll see what the kid can do next year fully healthy.

Swashcuff
03-14-2013, 09:52 PM

Personally from my time of watching Curry I don't think he'll ever develop into a 9 APG kind of PG but I've watched Jrue Holiday play WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than I watched Steph and I didn't think he would develop into that type of PG especially not this soon. I'm not alone in that thinking as well. Honestly given Steph's ability/potential I really see no reason other than injury as to why he can't get there.

26, 4 and 8 isn't on 50, 40 and 90 seems like a fairly achievable peak for Steph.

Alayla
03-14-2013, 10:12 PM

???... hes allready there imo his shooting numbers are remiecent of Steve Kurr this guy is looking to be the best shooter the game has ever seen.

Alayla
03-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Personally from my time of watching Curry I don't think he'll ever develop into a 9 APG kind of PG but I've watched Jrue Holiday play WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than I watched Steph and I didn't think he would develop into that type of PG especially not this soon. I'm not alone in that thinking as well. Honestly given Steph's ability/potential I really see no reason other than injury as to why he can't get there.

26, 4 and 8 isn't on 50, 40 and 90 seems like a fairly achievable peak for Steph.

I still say Curry isnt really a PG at all hes a PURE SG he should be running of screens and get set up Allen/Miller style

Guppyfighter
03-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Curry is not a shooting guard.

Alayla
03-14-2013, 10:17 PM
Curry is not a shooting guard.

Why do you feel this way? becuase hes not listed as one? lol

Guppyfighter
03-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Why do you feel this way? becuase hes not listed as one? lol

http://www.82games.com/1213/12GSW1.HTM

Because he is always playing PG.

Alayla
03-14-2013, 10:21 PM
http://www.82games.com/1213/12GSW1.HTM

Because he is always playing PG.

Tell me is Duncan a PF? or was Iverson a PG? no and no was KG a SF early in his career no im not talking about where his team plays him im talking about what position he fits in most naturally.
Duncan is a center Iverson is a SG KG is a PF and Curry is a SG

iam brett favre
03-14-2013, 10:27 PM
I love Curry, really have since he was at Davidson. But even I think calling him a superstar..meaning same level as Durant, LeBron, is a stretch. He can definitely be really really great though.

Collings94
03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
This superstar talk is nonsense since there isn't an official definition for the term. Curry is a talented young player who along with Kyrie, Jrue Holiday, Westbrook, Rose and a few others will hopefully lead a movement into smaller guard play.

b@llhog24
03-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Except Curry doesn't need screens to effectively get his shot off.

Alayla
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
I love Curry, really have since he was at Davidson. But even I think calling him a superstar..meaning same level as Durant, LeBron, is a stretch. He can definitely be really really great though.

idk thats way to restrictive a definition of superstar when i think superstar i think top 8 or so player.

Alayla
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Except Curry doesn't need screens to effectively get his shot off.

while its true he might not need it it would definitely help.

NYCkid12
03-14-2013, 10:33 PM
They play in the same league, these matchups have happened.

TP used to give him a huge amount of trouble, though lately that's evened up.

Cp3 has the edge lifetime (Curry putting up 16/4/6 on 50/49/92, and remember that includes his rookie/sophomore year versus prime Cp3), but Steph's outplayed him 2 out of 3 times this season and generally does not have any trouble with Paul offensively.

Despite OKC dominating matchups versus GSW, Curry generally outplays Westbrook (nearly identical per-game statlines with Curry's %'s crushing Westbrook's).

One of the bigger advantages against the elite PG's is in D. Rose versus Curry, who just can't do anything against the kid. 19/6/6 + 2.8 spg for Curry on .49/.44/.87 versus Rose's 17/3/8 + 0.6 spg on .38/.059/.78. Dubs with the winning record.

Curry plays better against the best, and that is becoming more stark this season.

Wait , wait ... They play in the same league ??

KingPosey
03-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Well you'd be wrong

iam brett favre
03-14-2013, 10:48 PM
idk thats way to restrictive a definition of superstar when i think superstar i think top 8 or so player.

Ehh you could maybe expand it to top 5, but top 8 is too broad for a superstar.

TheLegend
03-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Honest question he has put up huge numbers as of late and has definitely been coming through clutch. Jmo but i think he is a budding SuperStar not yet but if he keeps playing like this there is not denying it. Am I crazy or is he really coming into his own??

One word: PLAYOFFS

He has to get it done there. Until then, superstar status is on hold.

Guppyfighter
03-14-2013, 10:56 PM
Tell me is Duncan a PF? or was Iverson a PG? no and no was KG a SF early in his career no im not talking about where his team plays him im talking about what position he fits in most naturally.
Duncan is a center Iverson is a SG KG is a PF and Curry is a SG

It's pretty obvious if you watch him play that he is a PG. It is not even a discussion.

Alayla
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM
It's pretty obvious if you watch him play that he is a PG. It is not even a discussion.

Hes playing the role hes being put in sure he is a flexible enough player to work as a PG i assure you whenever he gets put at the 2 he will hit a whole other level.

Guppyfighter
03-14-2013, 11:01 PM
He plays off the ball enough to see that he is equally as effective there as he is as a PG. Just less assists and turnovers.

His offensive production remains the same, but the team gets better offensively when he is the off the ball. I imagine that because when he is running around it puts a ton of pressure on the defense.

b@llhog24
03-14-2013, 11:04 PM

Tbh, this.

ThaDubs
03-14-2013, 11:05 PM
I was waiting for you to show up. I was expecting you to say YES YES HE WILL BE SOON.lol.

Well I didn't.

Purple_n_Gold
03-15-2013, 12:29 AM
Not even a warrior fan but live in the Bay so I get to see the warriors play a lot. Definitely an up and coming star in this league. Injuries have plagued this guy like crazy slowing his development a little through experience. It's freakishly weird how many times this guy lands on someone's foot and rolls that ankle. Not someone undercutting him either usually on drives through the lane. Definitely top 3 shooter in the game right now though. That guys jumper is sweet. Someone to def watch out for especially if the warriors can put some more talent around him.

BKLYNpigeon
03-15-2013, 01:08 AM
Curry plays PG for the Warriors, but he's a much better player at SG. He doesnt have the ball in his hands (fewer turnovers) and he can go run around through screens to get open for open jumpers, etc.

Its hard to play Curry at SG because he's undersized and a Defensive liability. thats why Jarret Jack has been so big for us this season.

naps
03-15-2013, 01:39 AM

:speechless:

He'll be one of the top 3 players in the game if he can do that.

RipCity32
03-15-2013, 01:39 AM
No Hes not a superstar but he has to be the in consideration for the best shooter in the league.

Alayla
03-15-2013, 03:02 AM
Curry plays PG for the Warriors, but he's a much better player at SG. He doesnt have the ball in his hands (fewer turnovers) and he can go run around through screens to get open for open jumpers, etc.

Its hard to play Curry at SG because he's undersized and a Defensive liability. thats why Jarret Jack has been so big for us this season.

Thank you i dont understand why im getting burned for saying something that SHOULD be common sense. But yes i can imange size and Defense will be problems as a fulltime 2 but the thing is he should be allowed to develop there and improve with time.

Alayla
03-15-2013, 03:04 AM
He plays off the ball enough to see that he is equally as effective there as he is as a PG. Just less assists and turnovers.

His offensive production remains the same, but the team gets better offensively when he is the off the ball. I imagine that because when he is running around it puts a ton of pressure on the defense.

That should tell you alot seeing as he hasnt been allowed to develop there at all
if he got the sort of minutes off the ball as he gets on it it would become clear he is a more natural 2.

rocketfuel
03-15-2013, 03:08 AM
Forget the global recognition stuff. Just evaluate him on his talent, skill and performance when answering this question.

Also, everyone keeps emphasizng his outside shooting, but how do they evaluate the other aspects of his game like driving into lane, creating his own shots, ballhandling, vision, etc?

lol, please
03-15-2013, 03:28 AM

Absolutely. Curry and the Warriors are ridiculously underrated.

nastynice
03-15-2013, 03:50 AM
Way to premature to call him suPerstar. Hes got a long way to go for that. But he is developing very nicely, is offense is nasty. He doesn't have tha killer instinct tho.

Btw, did someone seriously put wade on Kobe and lebrons level earlier?