PDA

View Full Version : The Dwight Howard destination people are overlooking

Randy Moss84
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
The OKC thudner have the oppurtunity to sign the high level allstar this summer by simply letting kevin martin go, letting go their non guarrenteed 2013-2014 players, amnestying perkins and finding a way to get rid of thabo

http://www.hoopsworld.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-team-salary

if they can convince howard to go there for about 14-16 million in salary, they could get him. and also, i believe they would still have their mle, as long as they are under the cap before freeagency, if im correct?

anyway, not saying its going to happen, or that howard is smart enough to move to okc and play with a younger trio, but its certainly not out of the question

outside of LA, and Houston, OKC is the only logical option to go to if he wants to win

personally, if i were him, id stay in la, just to avoid living in a dump like oklahoma, but if he wants to win long term, okc is the best option

ATX
03-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Personally, I think he'll fit best in Houston. OKC would be in cap hell, and don't really have the market to afford 3 max contracts. LAL, well maybe, but I it sounds as if he's not truly happy there. Houston is a great young team, and he'd still have a chance to compete year in, year out in the playoffs without "The pressure". Howard and Harden, plus all the young talent the Rockets have makes too much sense to me.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Either you're not very good at math, or you vastly overestimate how high the cap will be.

Durant + Westbrook + Ibaka = about 45 million

Add in Collison, Lamb, Jackson, and Jones and we're at about 52 mill. Then you have roster holds and draft pick salaries for those remaining spots taking you up to about 55 million, probably more.

So using the current cap of 58, that leaves about 3 million they would have for Dwight. That is if they can move Thabo for nothing that brings back any salary, and do amnesty Perkins.

D12 fan
03-14-2013, 11:09 AM
In

D12 fan
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Before

D12 fan
Lock

ManRam
The OKC thudner have the oppurtunity to sign the high level allstar this summer by simply letting kevin martin go, letting go their non guarrenteed 2013-2014 players, amnestying perkins and finding a way to get rid of thabo

http://www.hoopsworld.com/oklahoma-city-thunder-team-salary

if they can convince howard to go there for about 14-16 million in salary, they could get him. and also, i believe they would still have their mle, as long as they are under the cap before freeagency, if im correct?

anyway, not saying its going to happen, or that howard is smart enough to move to okc and play with a younger trio, but its certainly not out of the question

outside of LA, and Houston, OKC is the only logical option to go to if he wants to win

personally, if i were him, id stay in la, just to avoid living in a dump like oklahoma, but if he wants to win long term, okc is the best option

Kevin Martin's contract essentially shifts to Ibaka's, who is gonna get a lot more money next season.

If they amnesty Perk they're still at like 55-56 million.

Dwight's not going to OKC.

D12 fan
03-14-2013, 11:11 AM
What's with the op making Dwight Howard threads?

First you say he is not a Superstar, now you want him to take a paycut to sign in OKC over LA.lmao

JiffyMix88
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
Houston sounds about right to me

Randy Moss84
03-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Either you're not very good at math, or you vastly overestimate how high the cap will be.

Durant + Westbrook + Ibaka = about 45 million

Add in Collison, Lamb, Jackson, and Jones and we're at about 52 mill. Then you have roster holds and draft pick salaries for those remaining spots taking you up to about 55 million, probably more.

So using the current cap of 58, that leaves about 3 million they would have for Dwight. That is if they can move Thabo for nothing that brings back any salary, and do amnesty Perkins.

this years cap was 58 million

you have 3 unguarenetted contracts

perk and martin accounted for 20 million

so without those guys, and maybe figuring a way to get rid of thabos 3 million contract, you have enough to throw a 14 million a year deal at him

you could easily mvoe thabo and collison to a team with space for some futute picks, not like they are bad players

im not saying they can throw the max out, but they can get close to it if u do the math

Randy Moss84
03-14-2013, 11:20 AM

First you say he is not a Superstar, now you want him to take a paycut to sign in OKC over LA.lmao

that logic seems correct

high level allstars should be paid like high level allstars

NYCkid12
03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Personally, I think he'll fit best in Houston. OKC would be in cap hell, and don't really have the market to afford 3 max contracts. LAL, well maybe, but I it sounds as if he's not truly happy there. Houston is a great young team, and he'd still have a chance to compete year in, year out in the playoffs without "The pressure". Howard and Harden, plus all the young talent the Rockets have makes too much sense to me.

I'm pretty sure they offered Harden 12mill a year....so I don't think Dwights contract will be more than another 2-3 million

DoMeFavors
03-14-2013, 11:23 AM
except even when he had a chance to choose his places to go he didnt even name the Thunder so he wont go there.

Randy Moss84
03-14-2013, 11:37 AM
except even when he had a chance to choose his places to go he didnt even name the Thunder so he wont go there.

are you insinuating that he had the oppurtunity to choose where he wanted to go?

in that case, why didnt he join the nets instead of la?

oak2455
03-14-2013, 11:45 AM
are you insinuating that he had the oppurtunity to choose where he wanted to go?

in that case, why didnt he join the nets instead of la?

He's going to BK for the min :laugh:

Stinkyoutsider
03-14-2013, 12:22 PM
The Rockets and it's not about the money for him I think. It's more about being able to win titles and be the biggest star on the team so he can get the recognition for it.

If he's smart, he'll resign in LA and wait it out until Kobe retires. Then, the team will be his and the Lakers will be able to attract top level players to play around him. The problem is the LA media though and I don't think Howard is up to dealing with them every year.

The Rockets have a top quality player already and Houston would become Howard's team imo. He would turn into the number one option offensively (partly due to Harden's unselfishness with the ball) and be the man on the defensive side. Plus, he would be one of the biggest faces in Houston and can further his legacy if he can bring another title home for Houston.

Pierzynski4Prez
03-14-2013, 12:25 PM
this years cap was 58 million

you have 3 unguarenetted contracts

perk and martin accounted for 20 million

so without those guys, and maybe figuring a way to get rid of thabos 3 million contract, you have enough to throw a 14 million a year deal at him

you could easily mvoe thabo and collison to a team with space for some futute picks, not like they are bad players

im not saying they can throw the max out, but they can get close to it if u do the math

No, you don't have enough space for that. Do you know that Ibaka's extension kicks in? Do you know that Durant's and Westbrook's contracts both go up over a million each? The cap will likely be around 58 again.

If you read my original post, you have a few other guaranteed contracts like Lamb, Jones, Collison, Jackson. On top of Thabo. Teams aren't going to be lining up to help the Thunder move 4-7 million off the books for draft picks to help them get Dwight. They will be nowhere close to 14 million to offer Dwight.

DumDum
04-13-2013, 03:41 AM
H town down

todu82
04-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Houston

shep33
04-13-2013, 12:54 PM
He'll stay with the Lakers

oak2455
04-13-2013, 01:08 PM
He'll stay with the Lakers

exactly

lol, please
04-13-2013, 04:37 PM
Laughable. The only realistic option is the Warriors, which he probably feels pretty stupid for not looking into last offseason.

shep33
04-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Laughable. The only realistic option is the Warriors, which he probably feels pretty stupid for not looking into last offseason.

Nah, he's staying with LA

DoMeFavors
04-13-2013, 05:00 PM

i thought you were a dwight fan above all else so you dont care what team he goes to

king4day
04-13-2013, 05:18 PM
I'd throw Cleveland in there as well. Kyrie should entice him to want to play there.

DoMeFavors
04-13-2013, 05:31 PM
I'd throw Cleveland in there as well. Kyrie should entice him to want to play there.

he said his last last year and none of themm were small market teams, nobody wants to play in cleveland

king4day
04-13-2013, 05:33 PM
he said his last last year and none of themm were small market teams, nobody wants to play in cleveland

Right but if he decides he wants to play for a team that's ready to take the next step, the Cavs would be one of them. Houston probably is the best bet though since they wouldn't see Miami until the Finals if they got there.

DoMeFavors
04-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Right but if he decides he wants to play for a team that's ready to take the next step, the Cavs would be one of them. Houston probably is the best bet though since they wouldn't see Miami until the Finals if they got there.

he probably wants a destination where free agents will go to, and I dont see a superstar in his prime wanting to team up with a new comer like Kyrie that never happends/ i think he should go to GSW

shep33
04-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Problem is, it's impossible for him to go to Golden State. 75 mill on the books next year.

38 mill for Lee, Curry and Bogut alone

JasonJohnHorn
04-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Here's the thing with the Dwight situation. He can essentially go anywhere he wants and get a good contract, so long as the team he's heading to is willing to give something back to LAL.

Sigh-and-trades have become increasingly popular since Grant Hill went to Orlando. That deal allowed the Magic to bring in Hill and McGrady, and also allowed Detroit a piece to build a team around.

Typically, the sign and trade has been strictly to benefit the player (allow him to sign a longer contract for more money and still move), but we have seen it has also allowed team to get pieces back for free agents who are leaving and wish to go to a team that doesn't have the cap space.

Last season we almost saw the signs sign and trade Lopez and Humph to get Dwight. We may see the same this off season. Dwight may express a desire to leave LAL, but still want to win, in which case a number of teams are suddenly in the conversation so long as they are willing to give up a piece or two. The Nets have Lopez and Humph, the Knicks had Chandler and Amare. The Clippers have DJ and Bledsoe (and is rumours of BG's and CP3's differences are true, maybe BG could be offered up for Dwight). The Heat have Bosh and the Hawk could perhaps work a sign and trade with Horford or Smith (I've heard rumours that Smith and Howard would love to play together). Even Houston and Denver have some intriguing pieces.

Bottom line is, Dwight has several options. He is no restricted to simply going to a team with cap space, and it is in LAL's best interest to, if he does want to play on a contender, find a trade partner so that they don't lose him for nothing.