PDA

View Full Version : John Wall says he's a "Max-contract player"; what do you think?

JasonJohnHorn
03-13-2013, 02:00 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=238199

When asked about it, John Wall recently said he thought he was a max contract player, which I suppose is an obvious answer since he likely wants to get the most out of whatever team decides to pay him when his contract is up, but I'm not sure Wall has taken a look at his numbers lately, or the productivity of the team he 'leads' (though granted he was out for a large portion of the season.

Wall shoots .416 from the floor this season, which is also his career average (three season in) and he is actually shooting a LOWER percentage than he was last year. We sometimes see lower FG%'s from guys who shoot a lot of 3's, but Wall doesn't do that at all and is shooting .111 from the arc this year and .223 on his career. He is a decent FT shoot: .832 this season. He is also a point guard, so turnovers and assists are an important stat for him. 8 a game on his career and 8.1 on his career per 36mins. Not bad at all, however he averages 3.8 turnovers a game meaning his assist-to-turnover ration is a meager 2-1 (or there's abouts). Not that impressive really. John Wall gets decent defensive stats, but I haven't seen enough of him to judge his defence to be honest, but his percentages and turnovers turn me off to him. I've seen guys with better percentages and better assist-to-turnover rations fizzle out of the league (Marbury and Francis come to mind).

Also, Washington won 26 games the year before they drafted him, the follow season, they won 3 fewer games. They did not get better. This year, they are on pace to finish about where they did the year before the drafted him, with around 26 wins. This team's rebuilding process has been stagnant at best.

In his favour though, Wall seems to be great at drawing fouls, so it keeps his points-per-shot average at a respectable level.

Now, I haven't watched a lot of Wizards games over the last couple seasons. To be honest, the last time I watched the Wizards was when LBJ and the Cavs were playing them in the playoffs, but looking at the numbers, i gotta be honest and say I don't even see this guy being in the league by his 30th birthday. His percentages aren't much better than, say, Jonny Flynn, and his assist-to-turnover ratio isn't much better than Flynn's either, and Flynn, at 23 years old, can't even get a roster spot in the league right now. The Wizards used a 1st overall pick on Wall, so they don't want to give up to quickly, but the bottom line is Wall is not putting up the kind of numbers that warrant an All-Star appearance or a franchise player tag, and if he continues to put up these kind of number likely won't even be in the league at all for very long. So I was taken a little back when I heard he thought he was a max-contract player. Really?

That said, you really haven't to SEE a player to evaluate him, and I haven't seen much of Wall; so I leave it up to you guys: Is John Wall a max-contract player?

Chitownhero1992
03-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Simply put no...he's not max-player worth, maybe 8-10M a year but not Max at all these players are getting greedy because of past GM's mistakes but GM's no they have to correct it and that's why prices on players will drop over the years, Wall, Smith and Jennings should not receive max contracts even though they all say they deserve it.

dalton749
03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
give him the derozan deal

Ebbs
03-13-2013, 02:10 PM
Not at all worth a max

montafan
03-13-2013, 02:30 PM
yeah noooooo way is he a max-contract player. It would be interesting to see what he could do on good or even decent team, I think he could be very very good in the right system. I also would not be surprised to see a team give him the max though, really wouldnt

72 Wins
03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
He may get one due to potential, but does he deserve it? DEFINITELY not.

LAKobeBryant
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
posted already

JiffyMix88
03-13-2013, 03:00 PM
^what I thought

Bruno
03-13-2013, 03:01 PM
there are less than a dozen players in the NBA who actually deserve max contract; the problem is, every team has one to offer. obviously, wall isn't one of them. with enough discipline he has all the physical gifts necessary become an all-star.

Gibby
03-13-2013, 03:09 PM
if i were the wizards i would give him a max contract. People believe only superstars deserve max contracts but thats not the case. I would give him that contract just because of his talent. Its shame he ended up in washington or else he would have been better by now.

MrfadeawayJB
03-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I still think he has the potential to be a near max player but right now he is nowhere near that level

hidalgo
03-13-2013, 03:23 PM
nowhere near max in my mind. he's worth 4 mill a year tops

king4day
03-13-2013, 05:06 PM
I think he'll wind up with something like what Steph Curry got. That'd be fair. But then again, he technically has Washington by the balls.

2-ONE-5
03-13-2013, 05:09 PM
not even close. hasnt learned how to slow down his game yet and play in the half court.

alexander_37
03-13-2013, 05:14 PM
L - oh - l

JasonJohnHorn
03-13-2013, 07:48 PM
Its shame he ended up in washington or else he would have been better by now.

If he were on a good team, he wouldn't be getting minutes. I mean, Miami would start Chambers over him. Chambers is a god defender and a better shooter and LBJ and Wade do the ball handling. If he were on the Spurs he'd be playing back up to Parker, and he might not even be the first guy coming off the bench.

You take a guy like Jennings. He came in the league and started on a team that was about as good as the Wizards. The team has gotten better, and he has gotten better. Wall is in a situation where he gets a ton of minutes and doesn't have to worry about mistakes, because as many as he makes, he is still going to get the minutes. He simply has not gotten better. in three years you expect some sort of growth as a player, and he's actually gotten worse. He is shooting a lower percentage than he was last year.

I've seen this pattern with some many young PGs. You shoot a low percentage, you cant' get a assist-to-turnover ration much better than 2-1.... you just don't lasts in the league with those kind of numbers.

yaswaggin
03-13-2013, 07:54 PM
If he were on a good team, he wouldn't be getting minutes. I mean, Miami would start Chambers over him. Chambers is a god defender and a better shooter and LBJ and Wade do the ball handling. If he were on the Spurs he'd be playing back up to Parker, and he might not even be the first guy coming off the bench.

You take a guy like Jennings. He came in the league and started on a team that was about as good as the Wizards. The team has gotten better, and he has gotten better. Wall is in a situation where he gets a ton of minutes and doesn't have to worry about mistakes, because as many as he makes, he is still going to get the minutes. He simply has not gotten better. in three years you expect some sort of growth as a player, and he's actually gotten worse. He is shooting a lower percentage than he was last year.

I've seen this pattern with some many young PGs. You shoot a low percentage, you cant' get a assist-to-turnover ration much better than 2-1.... you just don't lasts in the league with those kind of numbers.

Jennings is not better than wall

ThaDubs
03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Eventually but not quite there yet. He's getting better and better and this is his best season according to per 36 stats but until he reaches full potential he's not a max contract player.

KnicksorBust
03-13-2013, 08:00 PM
Wall has KJ potential and would thrive with more talent around him. He's already shown in the short time he's been back that he makes the Wizards significantly better. Keep in mind his "max" is not nearly as large as other players.

I still vote no but it's not nearly as big a joke as people make it out to be.

THE MTL
03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
If Wall wasn't so injury prone he probi would be top 5 PG in the league. He took the league by storm for the first part of his rookie year.

He needs to be healthy before even considering 10+ million per year.

JJ_JKidd
03-13-2013, 08:48 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/Headlines/ExternalArticle?articleId=238199

When asked about it, John Wall recently said he thought he was a max contract player, which I suppose is an obvious answer since he likely wants to get the most out of whatever team decides to pay him when his contract is up, but I'm not sure Wall has taken a look at his numbers lately, or the productivity of the team he 'leads' (though granted he was out for a large portion of the season.

Wall shoots .416 from the floor this season, which is also his career average (three season in) and he is actually shooting a LOWER percentage than he was last year. We sometimes see lower FG%'s from guys who shoot a lot of 3's, but Wall doesn't do that at all and is shooting .111 from the arc this year and .223 on his career. He is a decent FT shoot: .832 this season. He is also a point guard, so turnovers and assists are an important stat for him. 8 a game on his career and 8.1 on his career per 36mins. Not bad at all, however he averages 3.8 turnovers a game meaning his assist-to-turnover ration is a meager 2-1 (or there's abouts). Not that impressive really. John Wall gets decent defensive stats, but I haven't seen enough of him to judge his defence to be honest, but his percentages and turnovers turn me off to him. I've seen guys with better percentages and better assist-to-turnover rations fizzle out of the league (Marbury and Francis come to mind).

Also, Washington won 26 games the year before they drafted him, the follow season, they won 3 fewer games. They did not get better. This year, they are on pace to finish about where they did the year before the drafted him, with around 26 wins. This team's rebuilding process has been stagnant at best.

In his favour though, Wall seems to be great at drawing fouls, so it keeps his points-per-shot average at a respectable level.

Now, I haven't watched a lot of Wizards games over the last couple seasons. To be honest, the last time I watched the Wizards was when LBJ and the Cavs were playing them in the playoffs, but looking at the numbers, i gotta be honest and say I don't even see this guy being in the league by his 30th birthday. His percentages aren't much better than, say, Jonny Flynn, and his assist-to-turnover ratio isn't much better than Flynn's either, and Flynn, at 23 years old, can't even get a roster spot in the league right now. The Wizards used a 1st overall pick on Wall, so they don't want to give up to quickly, but the bottom line is Wall is not putting up the kind of numbers that warrant an All-Star appearance or a franchise player tag, and if he continues to put up these kind of number likely won't even be in the league at all for very long. So I was taken a little back when I heard he thought he was a max-contract player. Really?

That said, you really haven't to SEE a player to evaluate him, and I haven't seen much of Wall; so I leave it up to you guys: Is John Wall a max-contract player?

Oh hell no. All hype. Just like with Bargnani (when he was compared to Dirk).

DallasTrilla23
03-13-2013, 09:09 PM
when you see guys like Eric Gordon getting a max deal, I can see why he would think that but hell no he doesn't deserve that.

10 Mil. max...

benzni
03-13-2013, 09:58 PM
if i were the wizards i would give him a max contract. People believe only superstars deserve max contracts but thats not the case. I would give him that contract just because of his talent. Its shame he ended up in washington or else he would have been better by now.

maybe he should take his talents to south beach...

Raps18-19 Champ
03-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Based on his play, no. He'll get it though.

Shammyguy3
03-13-2013, 11:29 PM
His play warrants $8,000,000 a year at most. He's the most inefficient starting point guard in the league. He's simply not that good.

OceanSpray
03-13-2013, 11:40 PM
He's not even top 15 PG... What a joke.

JasonJohnHorn
03-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Jennings is not better than wall

Is Wall better than Jennings? Jennings isn't as good at drawing a foul, granted, but he is a FAR better 3pt shooter, and his assist-to-turnover ratio is a little better than Wall's. Their steals are a wash, though Jenings does get more. Jennings's FG% is a little lower than Wall's, but Jennings FG% is lower because he shoots a lot more 3pters, where as Wall's FG% is low because he CANNOT SHOOT PERIOD!! You take Jennings' 3pts away and his FG% goes up (54%). Wall's pretty much stays the same since he hardly takes any 3's.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other. Neither of them are the kind of PG that can lead a team to a deep playoff run, but I think if you look at their numbers and also take into consideration what their respective teams have accomplished, then it could be argued Jennings has had a better career so far. I mean, he's on his way to his second post season with the bucks this year. Jennings helped the Bucks to a 12-game improvement in his rookie year, Wall lead the Wizards to 3 more losses in his rookie year!

To me, trying to decide who is better between Wall and Jennings is like trying to decide what's better: A 1994 Dodge Neon or a 1995 Chevy Cavalier. What does it matter when they are racing against a Jaguard FX like CP3?