PDA

View Full Version : Why Isn't Chris Paul More Aggressive?

Clippersfan86
03-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Anybody who's watched him in New Orleans or LA knows when he attacks from opening tip he makes his teams nearly impossible to beat. I don't buy the energy excuse because players like Westbrook, Rose and Parker have no problem sustaining it (Parker is 4 years older).

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/clippers-benefit-when-paul-gets-aggressive

This interesting article from today shows what myself and many other people this year have speculated which is that when Chris Paul attacks the Clippers are unbeatable pretty much. 17-0 when he scores 8 points or more in the first quarter which honestly isn't much for a player as skilled as him.

Coaches and teammates all year have called for him to be more aggressive but he rarely is. So is it a matter of being incapable of doing it every game? Is he just stubborn and set in his ways? Do you also feel that a more aggressive scoring CP3 would greatly benefit the team?

LAKobeBryant
03-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Because he doesn't want to be a Westbrook.

UPRock
03-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Because he's good bein' himself, that's why he's the best Point Guard in the game.

Clippersfan86
03-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Because he's good bein' himself, that's why he's the best Point Guard in the game.

I don't think best PG and needing improvements to a playstyle are in opposition. I think CP3 needs to understand that this particular team needs him to be more aggressive. He should be attempting 15 shots a game because he's our 2nd best shooter if not first best all around shooter. If not for the main reason of keeping the defense honest.

What worked on Hornets teams loaded with perimeter shooters may not work with the Clippers who scoring wise thrive more when they score in the paint.

BKdoubleStacker
03-12-2013, 10:51 PM
Ive been saying this all year...

He has the ability to be an efficient scorer, he just doesnt press the issue and the clippers cant score buckets at times because of this.

If this continues in the playoffs, the clippers are in deep trouble.

so yes, I think the clippers benefit from him being more aggressive

sunsfan88
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
He's too unselfish. All the other guys you mentioned (Westbrook, Rose, Parker) are all score first PGs.

Clippersfan86
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Ive been saying this all year...

He has the ability to be an efficient scorer, he just doesnt press the issue and the clippers cant score buckets at times because of this.

If this continues in the playoffs, the clippers are in deep trouble.

so yes, I think the clippers benefit from him being more aggressive

For the Clippers to even get to the WCF one of two things need to happen.

1. Blake has to step up to a bona fide superstar in the playoffs and dominate.

2. CP3 needs to get into his aggressive mode the entire playoffs.

Like you mentioned... we get into hot water when we can't get a bucket and CP3 STILL plays the passive game. He has no business having these games of like 7 or 9 shot attempts in blowout losses. I'd rather him turn on a Westbrook/Rose mindset in that scenario. Go down shooting 30 shots, rather than getting blown out by 15 and shooting 7 shots.

Chronz
03-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Not sold on argument. Combining 8pts with the 8 assist commentary was meaningless.

CP3 knows the game and his limits better than anyone this article mentioned

Chronz
03-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Oh but to answer the question, its because he can only go full bore in spurts and he tries saving those for clutch time.

Clippersfan86
03-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Not sold on argument. Combining 8pts with the 8 assist commentary was meaningless.

Thing is it doesn't really need to be quantified. At least 30 games this year Chris Paul has been too passive and a lot of our worst losses coincide with games where CP3 is invisible and passive. Everybody watching knows aggressive CP3= more wins, more success. I mean his own teammates and coaches regularly tell him to be more aggressive, so it has nothing to do with taking the word of the writer.

I thought you've agreed he's too passive often times? Maybe that was Kyle.

b@llhog24
03-12-2013, 11:26 PM

Oh but to answer the question, its because he can only go full bore in spurts and he tries saving those for clutch time.

This. If we went full on 08-09 Cp3 mode, I don't think his knee would hold up for a whole season.

Chronz
03-12-2013, 11:36 PM

Thing is it doesn't really need to be quantified. At least 30 games this year Chris Paul has been too passive and a lot of our worst losses coincide with games where CP3 is invisible and passive. Everybody watching knows aggressive CP3= more wins, more success. I mean his own teammates and coaches regularly tell him to be more aggressive, so it has nothing to do with taking the word of the writer.

I thought you've agreed he's too passive often times? Maybe that was Kyle.
My gripe was only with the articles method to substantiate its claim. I do agree with the opinion that hes too passive but I also believe hes the one best equipped to decide the how and when, with regards to turning it up

D12 fan
03-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Clippersfan86 please stop making threads about your Clippers. You make a thread about Blake and Chris Paul every week.

Chris Paul is not aggressive because he wants to see if Blake Griffin really has what it takes to be his sidekick. If the Clippers don't get far in the playoffs CP3 is going to Houston to team up with his lil bro James Harden.

Becks2307
03-13-2013, 12:09 AM
Like I said a couple of mths ago, that injury "ruined" him. Sure he isnt "done" but he clearly lost something, he saves it for spurts now. You'll see come playoff time.

But that 23pts ,11ast ,5.5rebs ,3 stl cp3 on 50% shooting (MY GOD WHAT A SEASON) is gone.

Cracka2HI!
03-13-2013, 12:30 AM
I do agree with the OP that it would be nice to see CP3 dominate more. Especially when we really need him too. Sometimes it seems like he can just take over at will yet in our biggest games he has not done it this season. At least not all of them. However I don't think he's been "invisible" even 1 game this year. The last "invisible" game you thought he had was against Denver...16/10 with 1 TO on 6/11. He actually had a very good game.

kblo247
03-13-2013, 12:36 AM
He can't handle the grind. That's it in a nut shell, his body can't handle scoring load no can it handle 40mins. It's too fragile and needs to be monitored

Clippersfan86
03-13-2013, 12:38 AM
I do agree with the OP that it would be nice to see CP3 dominate more. Especially when we really need him too. Sometimes it seems like he can just take over at will yet in our biggest games he has not done it this season. At least not all of them. However I don't think he's been "invisible" even 1 game this year. The last "invisible" game you thought he had was against Denver...16/10 with 1 TO on 6/11. He actually had a very good game.

You're right, the use of the word "invisible" is more hyperbole in this situation by me. It's more that in way more games than last year he looks more like a solid starter than his normal superstar self. Last year I was 100 percent confident he would become a killer every single time in a big game or when the game was on the line. This year something is different and what's troubled me the most is when he's like that he flat out looks mentally checked out and not engaged. He has nowhere near the fire and competitiveness this year that he did last year and in previous years.

Maybe he needs a coach like Pop or PJ who will constantly get into him and light a fire under his *** when that happens.

Chronz
03-13-2013, 01:01 AM
What worked on Hornets teams loaded with perimeter shooters may not work with the Clippers who scoring wise thrive more when they score in the paint.

Odd. He was far more agressive in his younger days yet you think this is a style hes brought over? I cant really make sense of those conflicting viewpoints but dont compare this CP3 to the one pre-injury. Different players. This one cant attack those side angle PnR with a relentless drive anymore, hes more of an overseer of the game.

Clippersfan86
03-13-2013, 01:19 AM
Odd. He was far more agressive in his younger days yet you think this is a style hes brought over? I cant really make sense of those conflicting viewpoints but dont compare this CP3 to the one pre-injury. Different players. This one cant attack those side angle PnR with a relentless drive anymore, hes more of an overseer of the game.

While he was a more aggressive scorer before any Hornets fan I've ever spoken to has said the wait to score until late in games and set guys up the first half at least has been a career long thing for him. I was always a CP3 fan but didn't watch more than maybe 15 games a year of the Hornets as a non fan of that team. So yes the style of set up most of game, take over the final quarter or two is the same as it's always been for CP3. I didn't say he has the same exact ratio of attack vs defer but the trends/habits still exist.

naps
03-13-2013, 01:36 AM
He's still an amazing player but I sure as hell do miss the CP3 of New Orleans. I wish he was more aggressive but I guess he's just smart enough to realize when to turn it on. I am sure we'll see a very different CP3 in the playoffs.

Bishnoff
03-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Suns fans had the same issue with Nash for his last 4-5 seasons in Phoenix.

JiffyMix88
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM

link of him saying this or are you just assuming that's why?

MrfadeawayJB
03-13-2013, 12:44 PM
He just needs to pick his spots more often. If he tried to be Rose or Westbrook he would probably get frusterated after being blocked (he knows his limitations) so instead he picks his spots. He just needs to look for it a little more often

ManningToTyree
03-13-2013, 12:50 PM
He can't do it for a whole season anymore. I have no doubts he will be very aggressive in the playoffs.