PDA

View Full Version : Fossils Discovered In Metorites?

db75
03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Take this with a huuuge grain of salt right now. However, this *could* be a game changer if it can be further supported:

Researchers in the United Kingdom have found algae-like fossils in meteorite fragments that landed in Sri Lanka last year. This is the strongest evidence yet of cometary panspermia — that life on Earth began when a meteorite containing simple organisms landed here, billions of years ago — and, perhaps more importantly, that there’s life elsewhere in the universe.

In December 2012, a fireball was seen over the skies of Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka. Over the following few days, fragments of the fireball were collected and sent to Sri Lanka’s Medical Research Institute, where initial microscopic analysis revealed siliceous microalgae known as diatoms. As you can imagine, with this being the first ever evidence that life might’ve arrived on Earth via a meteorite, the scientific community was skeptical of the results — and so some fragments were sent to Cardiff University in Wales for further analysis. The researchers at Cardiff are now reporting that they’re sure that these fragments come from an extraterrestrial meteorite — and that there are definitely “fossilized biological structures” within them. Panspermia, it seems, is a go.

Link (http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150417-astrobiologists-discover-fossils-in-meteorite-fragments-confirming-extraterrestrial-life)

Freakazoid
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Take this with a huuuge grain of salt right now. However, this *could* be a game changer if it can be further supported:

Link (http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/150417-astrobiologists-discover-fossils-in-meteorite-fragments-confirming-extraterrestrial-life)

The Journal of Cosmology isn't peer-reviewed (or at least not very well) and have come under scrutiny for similar claims since its inception in 2009.

db75
03-12-2013, 08:49 PM
The Journal of Cosmology isn't peer-reviewed (or at least not very well) and have come under scrutiny for similar claims since its inception in 2009.

Aware hence the huge grain of salt bit.

For the sake of stirring up conversation, I figured I'd post.

Ezekial
03-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Be cool if we proved that.

Freakazoid
03-14-2013, 07:34 AM
Aware hence the huge grain of salt bit.

For the sake of stirring up conversation, I figured I'd post.

Yeah, I pretty much think it's BS. If it was the real deal, there's no ****ing way the author would choose such a ****** journal. Even high school kids get published in high impact journals (A&A) all the time, you just need to bring the content. A discovery like that? Shoo-in.

natepro
03-16-2013, 01:11 AM
I'm on my phone so I will have to post all the details later, but suffice it to say this is, unfortunately, a total crock. If I remember right, not only is the journal not peer reviewed, but the authors actually bought the journal just so they could publish this, because no one else would.