PDA

View Full Version : How long before it happens in a major sport

JordansBulls
03-12-2013, 11:27 AM
In recent memory we all know how some presidents have been assasinated, but do you think it will ever occur where a major player in any of the major sports in the U.S. will be assasinated either on the way to the game or even in the game? I know for basketball the security isnt' really tight getting into the games nor for football for that matter. Do you think something this tragic will eventually happen? If so, what would be done about it as far as the sport is concerned?

JesusNYY_Savior
03-12-2013, 11:29 AM
There are some crazy ****s out there so I wouldn't doubt it, but why would someone hate an athlete that much do to something so stupid?

JesusNYY_Savior
03-12-2013, 11:32 AM
And to answer the second question there isn't much the sports could do except for shut down for the foreseeable future until the security was completely revamped. And I believe that a terrorist attack on a big sports event (I.E. the Super Bowl) is going to happen before this would.

Celticsfan2007
03-12-2013, 11:41 AM
I've thought about this in the recent past, especially with all the tragedies that have happened nationally associated with gun violence.

I believe it may only be a matter of time before some crazy builds up so much angst against an individual to have something terrible like this happen. I just pray it won't happen in my lifetime.

Captain Moroni
03-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Pretty interesting info on the internet about sport deaths.

Most deaths of athletes in their prime is a result from a car accident.

Suicides are very common.

Basketball mostly the NCAA has lot of heart failure during practice and in prctice games.

Bobsled....pretty much everyone of them died bobsledding.

Alchohol/drugs is probably the number one killer.

LanceUpperCut
03-12-2013, 12:18 PM
There are some crazy ****s out there so I wouldn't doubt it, but why would someone hate an athlete that much do to something so stupid?

The only reason I could think off is maybe there's an overly passionate crazy person and maybe a situation like LBJ leaving Cleveland pushes him over the edge. Or maybe someone lost a pile of money betting and takes it out on a player.

I think another scenario would be a terrorist attack since there's so many people crammed in a arena or stadium and watching on T.V.

hugepatsfan
03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Thought this was going to be about someone coming out of the closet.

todu82
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Hopefully not in our lifetime though you never know what could go through the mind of an angered fan.

NoahH
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
I doubt this happens. Why would anyone assassinate an athlete. I guess there are crazy dudes out there, but theres no political gain in assassinating an athlete. I could see a terrorist attack on the Super Bowl or something before an assassination.

ManRam
03-12-2013, 12:39 PM
Hopefully a long time...

BHF
03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl-2uVhNLJI

jerellh528
03-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Many people in this forum would probably do that to kobe :p jk

Hellcrooner
03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
soccer is the number1 sport in the world.

Andres escobar scored a own goal in usa94 w.c that got colmbia eliminated and usa going trough.

he got killed days later at home because of it.

Hellcrooner
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
wasnt Bison dele murdered btw?

Big Zo
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Is the OP thinking about killing someone?

Matrix3132
03-12-2013, 02:14 PM
In recent memory we all know how some presidents have been assasinated, but do you think it will ever occur where a major player in any of the major sports in the U.S. will be assasinated either on the way to the game or even in the game? I know for basketball the security isnt' really tight getting into the games nor for football for that matter. Do you think something this tragic will eventually happen? If so, what would be done about it as far as the sport is concerned?

Obviously gun violence is concerning and there are a lot of mentally disturbed people out there but which presidents recent assassination attempts are you referring to? I didn't think there had really been one since reagan and that was over 30 years ago.

Jimmer55
03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Making this thread makes it more likely, IMO.

sunsfan88
03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Crazy thing is that it would likely be a superstar player.

Trueblue2
03-13-2013, 07:02 AM
Might have taken it a little far with the what if threads this time...

TheLegend
03-13-2013, 09:28 AM
It hasn't happened because its very unlikely to happen. Athletes have nothing to do with politics.

SkipBaylessFan
03-13-2013, 09:35 AM
It can have nothing to do with politics. There are some bat-**** crazy people out there. I hope it never happens, but it's happened in music before, and has happened in sports before, so it's definitely not out of the realm of possibilty. Dark thread of the year award goes to...

Jesse2272
03-13-2013, 09:55 AM
If something that horrid happens

I can it happening in soccer over seas

Nocioni5
03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Tony Allen comes to mind he got involved in some gang problems with people in Chicago a couple years back and had some people who wanted him dead and had made death threats when he came to play in Chicago. I remember hearing about it when the celtics and bulls were in a play off series and there was extra security at the united center.

asandhu23
03-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Tennis is a big sport. Monica Seles from back in the day was stabbed by a random crazy dude.

D-Leethal
03-13-2013, 10:25 AM
Paul Pierce

D-Leethal
03-13-2013, 10:28 AM
In all honesty though I think its different when a guy gets involved with bad dudes and they want to get revenge like Pierce or Allen. I think this thread is more about a dude who is batshit crazy and has no affiliation or has ever met the player, goes nuts and assassinates them. I remember a few years ago some kid at MSG ran onto the court and went face to face with LeBron during a Cavs game, LeBron even admitted he got pretty scared but the kid ended up just telling him hes the guys biggest fan.

Its pretty odd how these types of John Lennon-esque instances are so few and far between now compared to back in the day, especially when you see plenty of batshit crazy people out there shooting up schools and all that.

I do think sports, starting from a childs upbringing, brings out good qualities in human beings and helps them become socialites and not sociopaths. So most sports fanatics aren't the types of guys plotting assassinations and shootings for the most part, they aren't kids who don't leave their rooms and play COD for 36 straight hours, these kids are usually active, popular in HS, and learn early how to interact with people in a team environment at a young age.

Captain Moroni
03-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Monica Seles-Knife violence.
The guy waited then walked right on to the court and stabbed her. It was horrifying and live on RV at the time.

It also wansnt some random guy, he was stalking her.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2013, 10:38 AM
It hasn't happened because its very unlikely to happen. Athletes have nothing to do with politics.

Neither do musicians, but hey go tell that to John lennons or dimebag darrell families.

They are public persons and are exposed to all kind of crazy dudes.

TheLegend
03-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Music is different. You can make a lot of expression of feelings in music. You can input views and inject race into lyrics or songs. Basketball, football, etc., totally different. Example. Tom Brady could be racist, but you never would know it because he acts on a football field. A musician acts in what he says in a song and therefore is a public voice.

kobebabe
03-13-2013, 02:42 PM
Hope NEVER!

NYKnicks4511
03-13-2013, 02:55 PM

The LeBron hate before last season was incredible. Absolutely absurd. I honestly thought that he could've gotten killed or maimed when he went back to Cleveland for the first time.

DumDum
04-12-2013, 04:54 AM
jordan for a pair of jays that will never see the light of day

Vinny642
04-12-2013, 09:25 AM
God JB wtf.... i hope not any time soon

BALLER R
04-12-2013, 09:57 AM
And to answer the second question there isn't much the sports could do except for shut down for the foreseeable future until the security was completely revamped. And I believe that a terrorist attack on a big sports event (I.E. the Super Bowl) is going to happen before this would.

You think America would bomb the superbowl

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 09:58 AM
That would be the lowest of the low if that ever happens....Sports is just ENTERTAINMENT.....Yes we root for our teams and sometimes we root against our rival teams even harder....but at the end of the day we go back to living our regular lives.....

FYL_McVeezy
04-12-2013, 10:02 AM
you think america would bomb the superbowl

this!

JWO35
04-12-2013, 10:41 AM
Crazy thing is that it would likely be a superstar player.

This, I was thinking it's very unlikey because most athletes aren't household name. But it could potentially happen to a Superstar known worldwide. If there are crazy people out there trying to kill Justin Bibier, I wouldn't be shocked if someone would take down an NBA player.

heyman321
04-12-2013, 11:21 AM
FBI agents have been dispatched to the OP's house to arrest him.