PDA

View Full Version : The Quiet Yet Brilliant Season of Al Horford

VCaintdead17
03-11-2013, 07:16 PM
I feel like Al Horford has received very little love this season among big men, so I felt obligated to make this thread. I feel that most don't realize he's having the best season of his career.

From an efficiency stand point, Horford has been great, shooting 57%(TS) and 56%(eFG) with a PER of 20.2 while scoring a career high 17.5 ppg. He shoots 79% at the rim, which leads the league among big men and it is where most of his points come from (5.2 attempts per game).

He also has the third highest assist rate among active centers in the league, only behind Joakim Noah and Marc Gasol. He is third among centers in weighted assists as well. The Hawks total assist % goes from 60.5% when he if off the court to 67.2% when he is on, which is good for highest assist differential on the team (+6.7). It's clear this offense (3rd in APG, 17th in PPG) is on all cylinders when he is on the court.

From a rebounding standpoint he is averaging a career high 10 per game which is good for ninth in the league.

Defensively, he's been his usual self as well with opponents shooting just 39% in post up situations against him. He's currently sporting a Drtg of 102 and has accumulated 3.2 DWS. It hasn't been his best season defensively for sure, but he's still among the top defensive centers in the league and has contributed greatly to a team Drtg of 104 (9th best in the league).

As the season has progressed he's continuously stepped up his game, averaging 23 points per game and 11.5 rebounds per game post all star break.

At this point I'd consider him the third or fourth best center in the league with only Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, and possibly Brook Lopez above him.

Where do you rank Horford among big men in the league today? Would you consider this his best season?

D-Leethal
03-11-2013, 07:21 PM
Definitely has a case for most underrated guy in the league even if he has a few all star teams under his belt. He's really turned that jumper into money.

SeoulBeatz
03-11-2013, 07:41 PM
thanks for the post, didn't realize he was having such a good season with J Smoove getting all the hype

D-Leethal
03-11-2013, 07:50 PM
thanks for the post, didn't realize he was having such a good season with J Smoove getting all the hype

Seriously. Big Al is the real max guy on that squad.

YoungOne
03-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Seriously. Big Al is the real max guy on that squad.

sorry but there is only one big al and its not horford...

Matrix3132
03-11-2013, 08:00 PM

Wouldn't most prefer horford to big al?

Forever35
03-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Wouldn't most prefer horford to big al?

To be honest I would prefer Horford over Big Al... With that said I also think Horford is a pretty underrated 5...

shep33
03-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Al is so good. He's been the best player on the Hawks for a while imo.

UPRock
03-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Definitely the best Hawks player this year.

Missing56&33
03-11-2013, 08:12 PM
I like AH but he's the reason you don't hear much about him. He plays well enough to get decent numbers but he's not a difference maker. Once he becomes a difference maker and be the leader(Josh Smith don't want it) for the Hawks then he will become more than a role player.

At this point I'd consider him the third or fourth best center in the league with only Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, and possibly Brook Lopez above him.

Forgot about all star Tyson Chandler?....now he's a difference maker.

VCaintdead17
03-11-2013, 08:18 PM
How is Horford not a "difference maker" ? And yes, I would take Horfords all around play over Tyson's elite defense and solid rebounding.

shep33
03-11-2013, 08:19 PM
Al Horford has gotten the raw end of a deal throughout his career in the ATL. His offensive game is better than most people think. Solid rebounder too.

Dude would have more all-star appearances if he didn't play with Josh Smith and Joe Johnson. Not counting last year because of his injury, 3 years in a row, he's shot the ball at a 55% clip or better, averages over a block per, around 10 rebounds, while shooting a good clip from the line. Very good passer too.

This dude could've been a 20-10 guy for years imo, had he been a first option... which he should be.

D-Leethal
03-11-2013, 08:30 PM

'Big Al' is probably the most overused nickname for anybody named 'Al' in all walks of life. Don't even try to tell me Al Jeff is the one and only 'Big Al'.

THE MTL
03-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Hawks need to get a center where Al Horford can go back to his natural position at PF. Maybe they take the gamble on Bynum?

His season has been good. But its not the gaudy numbers that get recognition throughout the league.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Hawks need to get a center where Al Horford can go back to his natural position at PF. Maybe they take the gamble on Bynum?

His season has been good. But its not the gaudy numbers that get recognition throughout the league.

Definitely agree with you there. He goes from being considered in the top 5 at his position to in the top 3 at his position debate. His jump shot with the post game and rebounding developed, would benefit greatly from a defensive minded, big bodied center.

I'm not sold on bynum's ability to be productive outside a year or two, but if they get Howard, it might be a risk they have to take, especially if smith walks.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
03-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Definitely has a case for most underrated guy in the league even if he has a few all star teams under his belt. He's really turned that jumper into money.

I've felt this for the past year now. He's probably been the past player on that team since 2010.

Jimmer55
03-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Al Horford, another Gator great. Parsons, Lee, Noah, Brewer, etc. Billy Donovan is one of the greatest coaches of all time and he ain't even close to being done. WOW.

chicagocubsfan
03-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Has been killing it for my fantasy team all year.

bholly
03-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Surprised by a few things in this thread. Firstly that people are saying he's been their best player this year, or that he isn't a difference make. Um, he's been their best player for years and it isn't even close - I didn't even realize it was a conversation. People seriously think Smith is better? Or JJ? Jesus.

Secondly, hasn't his TS% actually dipped? Seems to me like his basic stats are up probably largely because JJ is gone, but other than that he's still the same player he's been. He's seriously great - and has been even better recently - but I'm not sure overall this season stands above his others for me.

I definitely have him amongst the top centers - and his excellent deal means he's probably the best value for money of any vet contract big.

VCaintdead17
03-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Yeah it has slightly. Not to the point where it's noticeable or even a point for conversation. It's his elite passing, efficiency inside and most of all his play the past 20 games or so that have been so impressive.

b@llhog24
03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Surprised by a few things in this thread. Firstly that people are saying he's been their best player this year, or that he isn't a difference make. Um, he's been their best player for years and it isn't even close - I didn't even realize it was a conversation. People seriously think Smith is better? Or JJ? Jesus.

Secondly, hasn't his TS% actually dipped? Seems to me like his basic stats are up probably largely because JJ is gone, but other than that he's still the same player he's been. He's seriously great - and has been even better recently - but I'm not sure overall this season stands above his others for me.

I definitely have him amongst the top centers - and his excellent deal means he's probably the best value for money of any vet contract big.

This. Only thing is, he'll probably get better; especially if they switch him over to the 4.

naps
03-12-2013, 03:04 AM
One of the most underrated players in the league hands down. I never understand why Josh Smith gets so much hype and nobody talks about their best player Al Horford. Dude is a beast.

Swashcuff
03-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Best player on the Hawks for the past 3+ seasons.

mike44
03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Its even more impressive because he was out almost all of last year and he was a little rusty early in the season. Will love to see how he plays when/if Smith isnt on the team and Al can get more shots.