PDA

View Full Version : Is there something wrong with Adidas shoes?

beasted86
03-09-2013, 10:57 PM
I just thought about this today.....

Ricky Rubio
Avery Bradley
Derrick Rose
Iman Shumpert
Chauncey Billups
Leandro Barbosa
Eric Gordon

This is just a short list of NBA players that have had major knee injuries wearing Adidas over the past year. Is this a fluke? Could there really be something with their shoes?

Stunner
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Rubio tore his ACL wearing Nikes ...

phantasyyy
03-09-2013, 11:23 PM
valid pt

Big Zo
03-09-2013, 11:30 PM
No, Mars.

DR_1
03-10-2013, 12:00 AM
I have thought about this as well.

Mcovatto
03-10-2013, 12:19 AM
I have had two ankle surgeries from playing basketball by wearing Adidas shoes and I was told by my doctor that they are to lite and give you no support! The point is that they are flimsy !!!!!!!!!!!

Mcovatto
03-10-2013, 12:19 AM
And if bad enough can end a career!

avsman05
03-10-2013, 12:30 AM
Dwayne wade was wearimg adidas when he hurt his foot

UPRock
03-10-2013, 12:33 AM
McGrady used Adidas and we'll know what happened, Garnett also got injured.

rockbottom2010
03-10-2013, 12:45 AM
McGrady used Adidas and we'll know what happened, Garnett also got injured.

t-mac is an excellent example.....
kobe used to be with adidas in the early stages of his career ..

rockbottom2010
03-10-2013, 12:46 AM
Dwayne wade was wearimg adidas when he hurt his foot

dwayne wade used to be with converse and air jordan...not adidas

72 Wins
03-10-2013, 12:48 AM
I'll speak about the Adizero's.... Yes, the Adizero's are very light. Does it provide enough ankle support? Owning three pairs myself, I though version 1.0 was a tad weak, and flimsy, @ 7 oz IIRC (see my sig pic). But each version since since has been an improvement with a slight increase in weight and ankle support. Also keep in mind Rose wears the extra ankle supports on top of the shoes. There is debate out there in the sports medicine world if high top shoes really help prevent ankle injuries. Plenty of ballers wear the low/mid Kobe's with no issues.

Slug3
03-10-2013, 01:28 AM
Isn't Adrian Peterson and RG3 also with Adidas? I know it's another sport, but they at one point blew their knees out.

*Superman*
03-10-2013, 02:13 AM
I wanted to ask this also. I have a pair, ever since I started wearing them I started getting serious shin splints. Got to the point that I took a week off of playing ball.

I'm gonna stick with Nike after this.

tredigs
03-10-2013, 03:05 AM
"Adidas shoes" is kind of simplifying the matter, unless somebody knows something I don't I'm not sure that they're fundamentally different than any other maker as far as the structural integrity of the heel and general support system.

I guess I have a slight inside on this because my brother in law's a pro athlete with his own Adidas shoe on the market, and they invited him to Oregon and let him essentially build it exactly to his specifications. I obviously assume Rose, Rubio and everyone else with their own Adidas shoe have the same capability to build it to their exact specs and highly doubt the companies skimping on the final design/material side.

Basically, I'm guessing it breaks down to bad luck (both for the company and the athletes). And I'm not even sure that those with Nike's or anything else have had any less of a % of unfortunate leg/knee/foot injuries in that span.

Vinny642
03-10-2013, 03:14 AM
Aliens?

Hardaway Here
03-10-2013, 04:37 AM
I wanted to ask this also. I have a pair, ever since I started wearing them I started getting serious shin splints. Got to the point that I took a week off of playing ball.

I'm gonna stick with Nike after this.

I'm not even commenting on the thread your sig jus made me lol

kblo247
03-10-2013, 05:14 AM
t-mac is an excellent example.....
kobe used to be with adidas in the early stages of his career ..

Kobe also missed a whole finals game because his ankle was so jacked up in em

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-10-2013, 06:03 AM
So we can all agree, **** adidas?

Munkeysuit
03-10-2013, 06:34 AM
Adidas does not put a single amount of effort into their athletic engineering research, most of their design concepts come from grade school level designers with not much emphasis on performance. Honestly? neither does Nike, in fact? Nike, Adidas and Reebok spend more money on Marketing and PR, to ensure you "think" they make the highest quality performance products...but it's common sense, I mean anything that was produced on large scale with cheap labor and materials are only good for one thing and one thing only...PROFIT

However! I refuse to believe that the shoes or athletic gear is solely responsible for these athletes injuries, sometimes we just need to understand that our bodies weren't made to endure bending, stretching and breaking and all of the other amounts of pressure and stress athletes put on themselves on the daily.

tmacsc2
03-10-2013, 08:01 AM
I literally wear nearly every type of shoe. Adidas, Nike, Jordan, Reebok i have tried on ling-ning(sp?) and this is ridiculous! People get injured. Adidas shoes have never lead to a sprained ankle or knee problem for me. I have only sprained my ankle in Jordans and Nikes..... Am i gonna blame it on those companies for their shoes? No! It was just a fluke.

Kobe(2010 knee injury wear he had to go to germany to fix it)
Tony Parker
Manu
Rubio
Melo
Amare
Danny Granger
Vince Carter
Michael Redd
BRANDON ROY ( NO KNEES AT ALL I GUESS ITS NIKES FAULT)

All these players have had knee injures and wear nikes!

I can go on and on! Shoes do not cause injuries. Wear and tear on the body over years of NBA seasons cause injuries.

tmacsc2
03-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Isn't Adrian Peterson and RG3 also with Adidas? I know it's another sport, but they at one point blew their knees out.

Peterson is with nike and EVERYONE knows the hit by Ngata that ****ed RG3's knee up. I guess those light adidas just made RG3 run to fast and into that hit.

Fnom11
03-10-2013, 10:05 AM
I know multiple people who've hurt themselves wearing Adidas playing street ball too. This is why I always suggest Lebrons for literally everyone. Easily best basketball shoe out now.

DoMeFavors
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Lopez broke his foot last yr in Adidas

beasted86
04-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Now add Gallinari to the list. Was also wearing Adidas.

mdm692
04-05-2013, 06:36 PM
I literally wear nearly every type of shoe. Adidas, Nike, Jordan, Reebok i have tried on ling-ning(sp?) and this is ridiculous! People get injured. Adidas shoes have never lead to a sprained ankle or knee problem for me. I have only sprained my ankle in Jordans and Nikes..... Am i gonna blame it on those companies for their shoes? No! It was just a fluke.

Tony Parker
Manu
Rubio
Melo
Amare
Danny Granger
Vince Carter
Michael Redd

I can go on and on! Shoes do not cause injuries. Wear and tear on the body over years of NBA seasons cause injuries.

People overlook what you say because talking bad about Nike's or Jordan's is like talking bad about LA or Miami.

tmacsc2
04-05-2013, 06:50 PM
I know. It's a shame. I'm a pretty big basketball shoe junky and have worn multiple types of shoes to ball in. And 1, Nike, Adidas, Payless, Shaqs, ling Ning I have worn different eras of shoes. Early 90s, mid 90s, late 90s, early 2000s mid 2000s, present day.

I chalk up injures to wrong place, wrong time on the playing field. Also injures are inevitable. You can tape up strap up guard every part of your body and you will get injured.

Kevin ware was wearing Adidas. I guess those "crappy" shoes are what caused both his bones in his leg to snap in half.

Just ridiculous to say certain shoes cause injury.

Chrash Davis
04-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Kevin Ware...

Yankeefan213
04-05-2013, 06:51 PM
What does the shoe have to do with the knee? I think it affects the ankle more, but not the knee. Correct me if I am wrong

tmacsc2
04-05-2013, 06:55 PM
What does the shoe have to do with the knee? I think it affects the ankle more, but not the knee. Correct me if I am wrong

Naw you are correct but also I can see if for instance a player has high top shoes that have good ankle support when tied tight and the ankle rolls or they try to move a certain way but doesn't, then the movement cause a weird move up to the knee? I dunno I'm not a doctor but sounds legit in my head

CarlosJ23
04-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Cursed Adidas. Kevin Ware was also wearing Adidas when he broke his leg.

LAKobeBryant
04-05-2013, 07:49 PM
still better than jordans, they get you killed

Slug3
04-05-2013, 07:54 PM
still better than jordans, they get you killed

Didn't British knights also get you killed?

LAKobeBryant
04-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Didn't British knights also get you killed?

were talking about sneakers

AI
04-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Was just talking about this yesterday, Kevin Ware also was using "Adidas" when he injured himself.

69centers
04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
I've always found Adidas uncomfortable and never buy them.

Kyben36
04-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Something interesting that came up in my facebook feed, I wanted to see your guys's opinions on this.

Adidas strikes AGAIN... While wearing these shoes, Danilo Gallinari tears his ACL and puts him out for the season.

That's D-Rose, Kevin Ware, Rubio, T-Mac, Gallo, Howard and many others hurt badly while wearing them.

Coincidence?!

Via NBA BUZZ

Fact or Fiction ???. you decide.

Strumpy
04-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Something interesting that came up in my facebook feed, I wanted to see your guys's opinions on this.

Fact or Fiction ???. you decide.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?807515-Is-there-something-wrong-with-Adidas-shoes

Here's the discussion that's been going on.

Frozenred
04-06-2013, 12:08 AM
You can't blame all these injuries on the shoe itself. I think there could be something with the design of the Adidas shoes that increases a chance of injury though. I wear Adidas shoes in my basketball league. Have I ever been injured using them? No. Will I stop using them because of these injuries? No.

Slug3
04-06-2013, 12:34 AM
When I saw the injury I was trying to see what shoes he was wearing last night cause of this. Lol

CubsBullsBucs
04-06-2013, 12:53 AM
kevin ware? i dont think his injury had anything to do with his shoes. lol

Knicks21
04-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Who voted due to the shoes?

Seriously?

--23--
04-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Coincidence... The way these players got injured has nothing to do with their shoes. It's just bad luck, same goes for Rondo, Barbosa & Lou Williams ACL injuries

maddBat
04-06-2013, 01:18 AM
crazy coincidence. but what are the adidas to nike or other shoe ratio?

sf-fanatic
04-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Yeah adidas will get you injured, but Jordans will get u jumped/robbed/killed after you buy it from the store lol.

--23--
04-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Tim Duncan has been wearing adidas since 2003 and he's been fine. :speechless:

Tony Parker
Manu
Rubio
Melo
Amare
Danny Granger
Vince Carter
Michael Redd

:clap: Thank you, also i don't know why Bradley and Rubio injury getting blamed on shoes. Guess people don't remember how Rubio got injured or what injury Bradley suffered.

DumDum
04-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Tim Duncan has been wearing adidas since 2003 and he's been fine. :speechless:

:clap: Thank you, also i don't know why Bradley and Rubio injury getting blamed on shoes. Guess people don't remember how Rubio got injured or what injury Bradley suffered.

kobe kicked him down

DumDum
04-06-2013, 01:50 AM
addias made the worst sneaker ever kobe space shoes as you can see below

DumDum
04-06-2013, 01:52 AM
kobe space shoes

Sandman
04-06-2013, 02:21 AM
"Adidas shoes" is kind of simplifying the matter, unless somebody knows something I don't I'm not sure that they're fundamentally different than any other maker as far as the structural integrity of the heel and general support system.

I guess I have a slight inside on this because my brother in law's a pro athlete with his own Adidas shoe on the market, and they invited him to Oregon and let him essentially build it exactly to his specifications. I obviously assume Rose, Rubio and everyone else with their own Adidas shoe have the same capability to build it to their exact specs and highly doubt the companies skimping on the final design/material side.

Basically, I'm guessing it breaks down to bad luck (both for the company and the athletes). And I'm not even sure that those with Nike's or anything else have had any less of a % of unfortunate leg/knee/foot injuries in that span.

If he went to Oregon, they were Nike's. :p

beasted86
04-06-2013, 10:45 AM

Tony Parker
Manu
Rubio
Melo
Amare
Danny Granger
Vince Carter
Michael Redd

Sorry, but this post doesn't make a valid comparison whatsoever. Only one of that entire group of players you just listed tore their ACL or any knee ligament, while in my list only one out of the entire group did not tear their ACL.

Avery Bradley - ACL
Derrick Rose - ACL
Iman Shumpert - ACL
Chauncey Billups - ACL
Leandro Barbosa - ACL
Eric Gordon - Bone bruise
Brandon Rush - ACL
Danilo Gallinari - ACL

This topic is about a recent trend spanning only 2 seasons where a number of players wearing Adidas have a serious knee injury that wasn't a pre-existing injury, and it's usually caused during a planting motion. I mean, maybe you are right and this is not the shoes and is just a fluke, but trying to compare Nikes or Jordans in this area is a poor attempt because you can't even come up with 4 players, let alone 8 who have torn their ACL wearing Nikes/Jordans in the same 2 year span.

I have tried on Adidas and find there is less cushioning, but I know this is subjective.

aztr0
04-06-2013, 11:21 AM
No issues with my Adidas. I've used all brands.

ChiSox219
04-06-2013, 11:30 AM
The shoes most likely aren't the cause but I wouldn't be surprised if they are a contributing factor. Flywire stretches far less than any material Adidas uses and that's the reason I play in Nike.

NoahH
04-06-2013, 02:02 PM
kevin ware? i dont think his injury had anything to do with his shoes. lol

LMAO i agree

utl768
04-06-2013, 02:06 PM
adidas is crap eventhough it had nothing to do with the shoes

SportsFanatic10
04-06-2013, 02:57 PM
it's definitely something to think about, the list is growing pretty long. but i have a hard time seeing how shoes can cause knee injuries unless they're like skate shoes or something lol. must just be some kind of curse...