PDA

View Full Version : If 100% heatlhy, should Derrick Rose return this season?

king4day
03-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Consider the following:

1. He still needs to get back to form and allow his team time to build team chemistry back up.
2. The Miami Heat are looking unbeatable. Does it pay to risk further health concerns knowing in the back of your head that it's unlikely you get past the Heat?
3. While not nearly as important, he signed a mega shoe deal a couple of years ago. Would Adidas want him to return so they can start getting dividends for their endorsement (and saving face since it was their shoe that the injury occurred in)?

Personally, I feel he should sit. He's an elite player in this league and the last thing you want to do it risk further damage. He already went through a year of rehab to where he is today. With just over a month left and an unlikely title run, it might be best to use the rest of the season and summer to not only build back up his strength but his psyche as well.

Thoughts?

OceanSpray
03-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Wait it out for a year and try to get some pieces. Rose with Howard? Crazy tandem and I think the Bulls need to work something out. He shouldn't come back no matter what. They have no chance of winning this year.

Guppyfighter
03-08-2013, 06:30 PM
Well, the Heat aren't looking unbeatable, they have never been statistically a historically great team. Just an elite team.

conway429
03-08-2013, 06:34 PM
of course he should/will come back this year.
how do they have no chance of winning?

jerellh528
03-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I would say if he's 100% why not? Maybe he just loves playing basketball enough to want to play. If he sits out because he thinks he has no shot of beating the heat, than that's not a guy I would want leading my team. And with rose, of course they have a shot at beating Miami assuming he's 100%

OceanSpray
03-08-2013, 06:36 PM
of course he should/will come back this year.
how do they have no chance of winning?

Because he needs time to get used to it and if he's not ready for that competitive play, he will just further damage himself. I don't think even with a healthy Rose they can win. Scary part? They have to play against the Pacers if the playoffs started today. You don't want Rose against the tough defensive and dirty Pacers.

ATX
03-08-2013, 07:09 PM
If he (Rose) feels like he's able to be as explosive as he once was, then yes. If however, he has any doubts about the strength of his knee, then no. Keep rehabbing and don't risk further injury. The only one who can answer this is Rose himself. I always said late March or early April would be his timetable. It's approaching and maybe we'll be lucky enough to see him back in action this season, but I hope he doesn't feel pressured to rush his better judgment.

KnicksorBust
03-08-2013, 07:23 PM
He's cleared to play. He should definately come back within the next week or two and hopefully be back to game shape by the playoffs. Just because the Bulls probably won't beat the Heat doesn't mean every team should just pack it in. Anything can happen.

John Walls Era
03-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Because he needs time to get used to it and if he's not ready for that competitive play, he will just further damage himself. I don't think even with a healthy Rose they can win. Scary part? They have to play against the Pacers if the playoffs started today. You don't want Rose against the tough defensive and dirty Pacers.

Can you imagine if Tyler Hansbrough does anything to Rose? Tyler may never be able to leave the state of Illinois alive.

mightybosstone
03-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I would say if he's 100% why not? Maybe he just loves playing basketball enough to want to play. If he sits out because he thinks he has no shot of beating the heat, than that's not a guy I would want leading my team. And with rose, of course they have a shot at beating Miami assuming he's 100%
I agree wholeheartedly with this. If Rose is 100 percent healthy (as the OP states), than he has every reason to come back right now. It's good for his image, it'll give the Bulls a better chance to win a playoff series or two and it will help the Bulls develop chemistry heading into an offseason with some big decisions. If he's not 100 percent, then I don't think it's a good idea to come back. But if he is, then why the hell not? If you get the flu and miss the first four days of the work week, but are 100 percent healthy on Friday, shouldn't you go back to work?

beasted86
03-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't get the reasoning in this thread title. If he is 100% healthy, as in not 99%, as in completely healthy with no more risk of injury than any other NBA player why wouldn't he play?

You have to lower that percentage to like 90% before there is even a discussion to have. Danny Granger clearly came back before he was 100% and you see the result. But if Rose is really 100% healthy of course he should play.

BKLYNpigeon
03-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Yes he should,

So when the Heat Sweep the Bulls in the playoffs, it will leave a bad taste in Rose's mouth and he will spend the whole offseason to get better.

TyrionLannister
03-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Did people read the "100 percent" part?

If that is the case you play him period. There is always the threat of injury no matter when it is in the season. Being 100 percent means there's no further way to minimize the risk.

Can they beat the Heat? Probably not. But there's no good reason to willingly admit defeat. Nobody thought the Mavs would get as far as they did in 2011. Hell, people thought they'd be a first round exit. What if LeBron goes down (not that I'd want that to happen)? Suddenly the East is wide open.

Purposely giving up is cowardly and sends a terrible message to the fans, players, coaches and management. Anyone who suggests sitting him at 100 percent should be fired, traded or released.

ManRam
03-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Uh, of course.

If he's 100% healthy, then he's 100% healthy and has no reason not to.

xxplayerxx23
03-08-2013, 08:45 PM
No. He said he wouldn't come back until he is 110% :D

b@llhog24
03-08-2013, 08:47 PM
No. He said he wouldn't come back until he is 110% :D

This.

ManRam
03-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Derrick Rose never was good at math anyways.

b@llhog24
03-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Derrick Rose never was good at math anyways.

:rimshot:

SportsFanatic10
03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
ummm...ya of course.

IversonIsKrazy
03-08-2013, 09:05 PM
The Dr has cleared him to play, and claim he is not more likely to be injured again than the next NBA player. He should come back. If he is 100%, there is no injury to worry abt, therefore he should come back.

Hardaway Here
03-08-2013, 09:12 PM
It's all on him really. He holds himself high if he doesn't feel like he can go like he used to it doesn't really matter what the Dr. says. That being said lets you know this injury is in his head at this point. Physically he seems to be fine mentally he isn't ready to go.

D-Leethal
03-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I think hes a bit frustrated with some of the moves the Bulls have made and kind of telling them 'why the **** should I come back this year if you made our team worse than it was last year?'

ManRam
03-08-2013, 09:20 PM
I think hes a bit frustrated with some of the moves the Bulls have made and kind of telling them 'why the **** should I come back this year if you made our team worse than it was last year?'

Well, that's dumb.

Players need to do their jobs, and let the front office do their's. No reason for him to be all pouty and Dwight-esque on us.

Slug3
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
At this point its pretty much him vs his mind. He is going to need to explode off that leg and take that bump and be able to see he can do it to get over that mind game.

king4day
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
I should have reiterated '100% physically healthy'.
I had read that when Oden was making his return he was putting more weight on his good knee which caused more problems. Still favoring it.
You never know what would go on in Rose's mind knowing what he had to go through with such a serious injury.

king4day
03-08-2013, 09:33 PM

I'd have to think Rose's injury was a part in some of the moves they made. If he was healthy, maybe they would deal with the potential tax issues. Regardless how this season ends, success wise, I'm anxious to see what Chicago does this offseason.

What does their cap situation look like? Can they offer Howard a deal if they want? I'm guessing it would require amnestying Boozer.

Dade County
03-08-2013, 09:34 PM
If Rose can put fear into coaches and defenders hurt... well then, please come back, but if not, wait until next year.

Sssmush
03-08-2013, 10:26 PM
He should wait.

Even if his knee is 100%, there's no way he's in top condition to return at this point in the season.

Keep lifting, keep working, and go to training camp next year, then come back.

D-Leethal
03-08-2013, 10:30 PM
Well, that's dumb.

Players need to do their jobs, and let the front office do their's. No reason for him to be all pouty and Dwight-esque on us.

I agree, thats just the vibes I get from he and his camp, kind of like 'whats the point of coming back mid season no camp rusty as hell if we have no shot at making a run?' type of thing. If the FO views it as a throwaway year, why not just come back next year rejuiced and hopefully with a retooled roster and full training camp ready to contend.

I agree with your stance, but thats kind of what I think his mindset is based on some of the things he has said as well as his representatives.

Dade County
03-08-2013, 10:39 PM
I agree, thats just the vibes I get from he and his camp, kind of like 'whats the point of coming back mid season no camp rusty as hell if we have no shot at making a run?' type of thing. If the FO views it as a throwaway year, why not just come back next year rejuiced and hopefully with a retooled roster and full training camp ready to contend.

I agree with your stance, but thats kind of what I think his mindset is based on some of the things he has said as well as his representatives.

If Rose is truly thinking like this... The media will have a feel day, when Rose contract is almost up.

I can see it now, people are going to be saying, who was rose 2nd option... Carlos Boozer! Oh dear, Chicago might get Cleveland.

69centers
03-09-2013, 12:07 PM
It sounds mental to me. He's been out too long. He's never going to be 100% back to normal and pain free, so he has to get past that or he'll never be back to his elite playing status again.

superior
03-09-2013, 12:18 PM
[QUOTE=OceanSpray;25574615]Wait it out for a year and try to get some pieces. Rose with Howard? Crazy tandem and I think the Bulls need to work something out. He shouldn't come back no matter what. They have no chance of winning this year.QUOTE]

WTF kind of logic is that??? so if you think you "might" not beat somebody in the playoffs, then just pack it up and go home for the rest of the year??? spoken like a true loser.....jordan would NEVER sit out if he was even 85%, if rose doesnt come back this year even after hes 100%, I will have to consider choosing a different team and players to follow because i can't get on board with a loser mentality like that. you come out and you play your *** off, u put all your heart into the game that you get paid MILLIONS of dollars to play......matter fact im a die heard bulls/rose fan, but i honestly think if hes 100% and he doesnt come back just because we "probably" wont beat the heat, i say he needs to get fined and suspended for a high number of games, thats the wrong answer

naps
03-09-2013, 12:29 PM
If he's 100% healthy then why not? 100% healthy is 100% healthy, means there is no risk at all. Stupid question to ask.

Manimal
03-09-2013, 12:39 PM
If not being able to beat the Heat is the logic then all teams should just give it up. Why should anyone play and risk injury.

monzternipz12
03-09-2013, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=OceanSpray;25574615]Wait it out for a year and try to get some pieces. Rose with Howard? Crazy tandem and I think the Bulls need to work something out. He shouldn't come back no matter what. They have no chance of winning this year.QUOTE]

WTF kind of logic is that??? so if you think you "might" not beat somebody in the playoffs, then just pack it up and go home for the rest of the year??? spoken like a true loser.....jordan would NEVER sit out if he was even 85%, if rose doesnt come back this year even after hes 100%, I will have to consider choosing a different team and players to follow because i can't get on board with a loser mentality like that. you come out and you play your *** off, u put all your heart into the game that you get paid MILLIONS of dollars to play......matter fact im a die heard bulls/rose fan, but i honestly think if hes 100% and he doesnt come back just because we "probably" wont beat the heat, i say he needs to get fined and suspended for a high number of games, thats the wrong answer

Thank you. Wish most bulls fans thought like you!

KnicksorBust
03-09-2013, 01:43 PM
ESPNChicago is reporting he's not 100% mentally so that's way more important than the fact that his body is ready to go. I can't dunk off my left leg!!!!!!!! I'm not playing!!!!!!!!!!!

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-09-2013, 01:46 PM
Consider the following:

1. He still needs to get back to form and allow his team time to build team chemistry back up.
2. The Miami Heat are looking unbeatable. Does it pay to risk further health concerns knowing in the back of your head that it's unlikely you get past the Heat?
3. While not nearly as important, he signed a mega shoe deal a couple of years ago. Would Adidas want him to return so they can start getting dividends for their endorsement (and saving face since it was their shoe that the injury occurred in)?

Personally, I feel he should sit. He's an elite player in this league and the last thing you want to do it risk further damage. He already went through a year of rehab to where he is today. With just over a month left and an unlikely title run, it might be best to use the rest of the season and summer to not only build back up his strength but his psyche as well.

Thoughts?

He needs to come back. Tha nba is not the same without Rose.

Faneik
03-09-2013, 03:33 PM
If he's 100% healthy then why not? 100% healthy is 100% healthy, means there is no risk at all. Stupid question to ask.

x2

Is there any reason why he shouldn't do his job when he is 100% healthy?

JasonJohnHorn
03-09-2013, 06:38 PM
If he is 100% then yes, obviously he should play. For the fans and for the franchise. They pay him a lot of money to play. If there is a high risk of re-injury, then that would suggest that he is not 100%, and in that case, resting him until he is 100% is fine.

I heard Rose say he wanted to wait until he was 110%. That is simply balderdash.

jrm2054
03-09-2013, 06:40 PM
If 100% healthy there's zero reason not to return .

SteBO
03-09-2013, 06:47 PM
The mental aspect is an important one.....but I personally wish he would play. He's a joy to watch.