PDA

View Full Version : What do you love and hate about the NBA?

Jimmer55
03-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Things I love about the NBA in no particular order...

1. The way they market their stars. Doing it the way they do, they make it more interesting because people want to see their guy outdo the other guy. It creates a fun tension and competition between each players fans.

2. Basketball. Period. I love the game and I want to see the best players in the world compete.

3. The finals. I really like a 7 game series, as it leaves no room for a fluke. The NFL is great but I prefer no questions asked about who the better team was.

Things I HATE in no particular order...

1. The season is too long. 82 games risks more injuries and less competition. Look at th Spurs being fined for resting stars. I prefer a 62 game season.

2. I HATE that the first round of the playoffs got changed to 7 games. HATE it. I prefer 5 like it used to be. 5 makes each game more important and it gets down to brass tax.

3 I HATE that the refs have so much impact on the game. The refs, possibly mandated by the league, take away the purity of the game. It sickens me. I HATE touch fouls. I HATE flops. I HATE star treatment. Let the men play the game and be FAIR.

4. I HATE illegal defensive rules. Teams should be able to play defense however the heck they want. If you can't score, that's on you. I HATE 3 second rules. If you want to stand in the lane, so be it. It is up to the other team to figure it out.

There are more things, but these are just some. Truthfully, I think the NBA is a joke at times and it sickens me. However, I love the game and the NBA knows they can get away with it because I have nowhere else to turn for the greatest basketball players in the world.

bal_ravens
03-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Love the sport of basketball. Hate how they baby certain players with calls.

Faneik
03-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Love the game in general.

Hate over-sensitive fans who will attack you if you don't put their favourite player in the same pedestal as they do.

Fired-Up
03-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Love the playoffs. Hate the pointless regular season.

bucketss
03-08-2013, 10:41 AM
hate: Lakers, refs inconsistency.

love: playoff atmosphere, and the great players we get to watch.

Slug3
03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
I hate the inconsistency of refs (yes I get that Miami does get the benefit of the doubt sometimes). But I just hate how with this play it will be in the act of shooting and the other wont when they look like the same plays, or even when flagrant fouls are called.

JasonJohnHorn
03-08-2013, 10:55 AM
While I do like watching athletic wing players, I don't like how rules have shifted the focus to that. I miss the back-to-the-basket game. I loved watching guys like Barkley and Malone and Nance and Hakeem work the post.

I also hate how big time players and big market teams get so many calls, but I think most of us feel that way. I know the officials have cost several teams a series and it is frustrating to see because I would just like to watch the best players and best teams in the finals. I don't care what city they are playing for.

I also don't like the whole "super team" approach. I think it is bad for the parity in the league.

Dade County
03-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I Love the HEAT winning.. I love when young talent comes into the league... I love players that play with heart and compassion.

I dislike the con-artists... Some Refs, Some Players and the Commissioner.

desertlakeshow
03-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I love the greatness of the NBA game, I don't watch any college ball.

I hate the Commissioner
I hate salary caps
I hate 7 game series (maybe ok in the final round)
I hate parity

hidalgo
03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
hate, Kobe... dude makes my skin crawl, he's so creepy, tries to be likable & makes it even worse. named himself the black mamba, & always says mamba, that is so lame, giving yourself a nickname. the puplic/media is supposed to do that. he's a complete dildo & it's a shame such talent was given to a turd like him), the little mutant refused to go to a middle of the road team(the hornets)& then whined & wondered why he wasn't the best player on the Lakers.(your choice turd boy, it's history, shaq was the man),Michael took on the challenge of taking a team with 0 titles in their history & turned them around as the leader of the team. Tim Duncan as well. i doubt Kobe could have turned the Charlotte Hornets into a dynasty like MJ did with the Bulls, & TD did with SA. he made it clear he wasn't willing to take that kinda challenge.(hiding behind the magical front office of the lakers always making things go right, is weak weak weak) Lakers fans (athough i have no real problem with the Lakers, just Kobe. i liked magic's lakers)

love, the 90s dynasty Bulls, Michael Jordan, the history of the game, 90s & 80s NBA, new guys like LeBron, Durant, etc. playoff battles like the bulls vs pacers 1998, bulls vs jazz, rockets vs knicks finals, nets vs pacers 2002 playoffs, spurs vs pistons 2005 etc. love when the lakers lose, any team that bbeats them in the playoffs now days are my fav team of the year, etc

JoeBlessU
03-08-2013, 11:31 AM
hate, Kobe... dude makes my skin crawl, he's so creepy, tries to be likable & makes it even worse. named himself the black mamba, & always says mamba, that is so lame, giving yourself a nickname. the puplic/media is supposed to do that. he's a complete dildo & it's a shame such talent was given to a turd like him), the little mutant refused to go to a middle of the road team(the hornets)& then whined & wondered why he wasn't the best player on the Lakers.(your choice turd boy, it's history, shaq was the man),Michael took on the challenge of taking a team with 0 titles in their history & turned them around as the leader of the team. Tim Duncan as well. i doubt Kobe could have turned the Charlotte Hornets nto a dynasty like MJ did with the Bulls, & TD did with SA. Lakers fans (athough i have no real problem with the Lakers, just Kobe. i liked magic's lakers)

love, the history of the game, new guys like LeBron, Durant, etc. playoff battles like the bulls vs pacers 1998, bulls vs jazz, rockets vs knicks finals, nets vs pacers 2002 playoffs, spurs vs pistons 2005 etc. love when the lakers lose

Not saying i disagree with your koba opinion but if you hate him for giving himself a nickname you should really hate "King James: The Chosen One" too.. maybe lebron didnt give himself the nicknames but he got it tattooed across his back (egotistical maniac) and thats just as bad if not worse. Plus he couldnt win cleveland a championship either, so if you hate kobe, hate lebron too cuz they're in the same boat.

hidalgo
03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
at least he tried for 7 years on a weak market team. i think he knew Mo freaking Willams as his #2 guy wasn't gonna cut it. he tried. Kobe was a big baby & piggy backed off Shaq & pretends those 2nd option titles are as legit as #1 option titles. people know the difference. the price you pay for being scared to try & take the Hornets there as the man, is you are the Scottie Pippen of the Lakers 3 peat. 2 real titles is what he has(& even those were hiding behind the historically magical lakers front office, trading Gasol for Kwame freaking Brown). LeBron to me is just naturally likable, at least way more than KB. it's pretty easy to sniff out. a d*ckhead is a d*ckhead. he's not a cool likable cocky, he's total d*ckhead arrogant

OceanSpray
03-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Not saying i disagree with your koba opinion but if you hate him for giving himself a nickname you should really hate "King James: The Chosen One" too.. maybe lebron didnt give himself the nicknames but he got it tattooed across his back (egotistical maniac) and thats just as bad if not worse. Plus he couldnt win cleveland a championship either, so if you hate kobe, hate lebron too cuz they're in the same boat.

Kobe: Played 3 years by himself and was about to commit suicide because he couldn't handle it.
LeBron: Played 7 years in a craphole of Cleveland and never complained.

You tell me what the difference is.

JoeBlessU
03-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Im not defending Kobe, trust me i hate him as well. I just think there are a lot of similarities between the reasons that one hates kobe and one hates lebron.

OceanSpray
03-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Im not defending Kobe, trust me i hate him as well. I just think there are a lot of similarities between the reasons that one hates kobe and one hates lebron.

The only similarities are the fans are passionate about their player and we both hate the next best thing.

hidalgo
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Kobe: Played 3 years by himself and was about to commit suicide because he couldn't handle it.
LeBron: Played 7 years in a craphole of Cleveland and never complained.

You tell me what the difference is.truth, Kobe pitched a big spaz out whiney brat fit the entire summer of 2007. my god it got old hearing him cry all summer long. so spoiled by that front office that he couldn't handle a few off years like a man. history shows that the Lakers never stay like that long, but he couldn't show a bit of class & let them do their lakers thing(like they always do) behind the scenes. he's trash personified

hidalgo
03-08-2013, 11:57 AM
Im not defending Kobe, trust me i hate him as well. I just think there are a lot of similarities between the reasons that one hates kobe and one hates lebron.just wondering, do you like LeBron?

naps
03-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Love: Playoffs atmosphere.

Hate: Kobephiles.

R. Johnson#3
03-08-2013, 11:59 AM
I love basketball and I hate the NBA. Unfortunately they don't broadcast too much college hoops here in Canada (CIS or NCAA) so I'm stuck with the NBA.

JoeBlessU
03-08-2013, 12:04 PM
just wondering, do you like LeBron?

Never have, never will

BigBlueCrew
03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
The refs -- I never felt the Tim Donaghy situation was a big scandal although David Stern tried his best to pass it off as such and isolate the issue. Soccer just had a big match fixing issue and im sure their fans all thought their game was pure to the bone.

Green_Monster
03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I love the playoffs.

I hate floppers. Some guys just do one dribble move, get into the paint, throw up their arms and it's an automatic foul.

SlimKid
03-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Love: The talent level & the playoff atmosphere.

Hate (not really hate, I just dislike it): Lack of parity, phantom "star" calls, player entitlement.

dh144498
03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
hate: people who hate players because of that player's fans. People who don't use subjectivity. People who nitpick to prove their agendas.

Love: watching old player(s) still playing like players in their 20s. Watching Lebron having an incredible season.

Money_23
03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Love to see player on player duels in a game, haven't seen those in a very long time.

72 Wins
03-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Kinda dislike how everyone has to high-5 the guy shooting free throws.

mgjohnson7851
03-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Love the game, hate how players have more control than owners.

Kelly Gruber
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Love the athletiscm of the massive players. Don't see that in every sport.

Hate the defensive rules, hugging players on the other team, and the general lack of fire and competition in every game. No one in the NHL is hugging and laughing with their opponents before/after games. Shouldn't happen. Shows that the sport is more of a show than a competitive endevour.

Nats_vcu-Okc35
03-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Efficient scorers
Scrappy rebounders on offense
Effective interior defenders
Players with good court vision
Offensively skilled players that play defense
Defense first coaches (I'm lookin at you d'antoni!)

Don't like
Flopping
No hand check
Owners crying poor/using a team as a personal bank account
The foul game in the final 2:00. (I like a 3-for-2pt unmade attempt in the last 2 minutes idea I was reading about the other day.)

nirvana235
03-08-2013, 01:50 PM
I hate that my favorite team will probably never win an nba title in my life time because stars will never want to go there...

Jimmer55
03-08-2013, 01:58 PM
I hate that my favorite team will probably never win an nba title in my life time because stars will never want to go there...

Where?

Hawkeye15
03-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Love: The talent level & the playoff atmosphere.

Hate (not really hate, I just dislike it): Lack of parity, phantom "star" calls, player entitlement.

this is perfect for me.

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
love the nba, cos it brings different people together, stress reliever, and something to do with friends when youre not in the mood to go out.

hate the nba cos of the ignorance from certain fan bases, and people making up attributes like clutch gene to help their argument lol

Matrix3132
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Where?

Super stars will never want to go to probably toronto, memphis, new orleans, portland, detroit, indiana, milwaukee, denver, minnesota, utah, atlanta, charlotte, orlando, dc, phoenix, sacramento, and maybe a couple others

Jimmer55
03-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Super stars will never want to go to probably toronto, memphis, new orleans, portland, detroit, indiana, milwaukee, denver, minnesota, utah, atlanta, charlotte, orlando, dc, phoenix, sacramento, and maybe a couple others

Just like Westbrook and Durant won't stay in OKC? Obviously, along the way, through the draft or free agency, a star will land in a small market. It will take a true competitor and scholar of the game in free agency, but it will happen.

Lo Porto
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I love team basketball, I hate how Michael Jordan turned the NBA into a me, me, me league.

I love the playoffs, I hate how stars get treated differently - a foul is a foul regardless of who it is on.

Tony_Starks
03-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Love- The game in all of it's entirety. Playoff atmosphere. Rooting for the underdog. Watching players game progress over the years. Up and coming stars. Old stars still dedicated to the game. Rivalries.

Hate- Fans who claim they hate players yet come into a sports forum and go out of their way to take painstaking effort to elaborate on how much they hate said player.

Matrix3132
03-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Just like Westbrook and Durant won't stay in OKC? Obviously, along the way, through the draft or free agency, a star will land in a small market. It will take a true competitor and scholar of the game in free agency, but it will happen.

They were drafted by OKC, they wouldn't have gone there otherwise. There's a difference between acquiring and attracting stars.

D-Leethal
03-08-2013, 09:11 PM
I can't stand the way the game is officiated and how Stern has done everything in his power to completely rid of smash mouth basketball and make it a 'fun' finesse league. Thats why I love watching Indy and have a ton of respect for Thibs and Joakim.

Hardaway Here
03-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Love: The game in general. Playoff basketball of course. Seeing Wade do what he has been doing his whole career just more efficiently. Even though he is out love watching Rondo go to work. Looking forward to Jrue Holidays growth.

Hate: Idiotic fans who claim to be a fan of said team but only ever talk about the star and disrespect the other players. Hate how the refs can obviously call a game one way and expect people not notice. Nothing against Durant but I never hated the rip through so much since he started doing it. Sick of the double techs.

LOOTERX9
03-08-2013, 09:37 PM
I hate away from the ball foul calls. And the fact that you can barely make any contact with a player trying to post up even before he gets the ball. All the whistles slows the Flow of the game down and makes watching games not as fun

JesusWears24
03-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Love: Cheerleaders

Hate: Commercials

KnicksorBust
03-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Love: That I'm watching greatness everytime I get to watch LeBron / Durant / Kobe lace em up. It's also a gift watching guys like KG/Nash and the immortal Tim Duncan continue to produce well past their prime. We could potentially be watching 4 of the 10 greatest players of all-time (LeBron/Kobe/Duncan/Durant) this season. I also love that I get to coach this sport and feel like there is always more to learn by watching college/nba games that I can bring back to my players and my team.

ILLUSIONIST^248
03-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Kinda dislike how everyone has to high-5 the guy shooting free throws.

Lol that's been part of the game forever. I get what you mean though.

lol, please
03-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Things I love about the NBA in no particular order...

1. The way they market their stars. Doing it the way they do, they make it more interesting because people want to see their guy outdo the other guy. It creates a fun tension and competition between each players fans.

2. Basketball. Period. I love the game and I want to see the best players in the world compete.

3. The finals. I really like a 7 game series, as it leaves no room for a fluke. The NFL is great but I prefer no questions asked about who the better team was.

Things I HATE in no particular order...

1. The season is too long. 82 games risks more injuries and less competition. Look at th Spurs being fined for resting stars. I prefer a 62 game season.

2. I HATE that the first round of the playoffs got changed to 7 games. HATE it. I prefer 5 like it used to be. 5 makes each game more important and it gets down to brass tax.

3 I HATE that the refs have so much impact on the game. The refs, possibly mandated by the league, take away the purity of the game. It sickens me. I HATE touch fouls. I HATE flops. I HATE star treatment. Let the men play the game and be FAIR.

4. I HATE illegal defensive rules. Teams should be able to play defense however the heck they want. If you can't score, that's on you. I HATE 3 second rules. If you want to stand in the lane, so be it. It is up to the other team to figure it out.

There are more things, but these are just some. Truthfully, I think the NBA is a joke at times and it sickens me. However, I love the game and the NBA knows they can get away with it because I have nowhere else to turn for the greatest basketball players in the world.

Honestly, the only thing that really bothers me is the lack of consistency with calls. "Star power" should have zero validity in calls, period. In any sport. And though it is only one thing that bothers me, it's a huge one. Big enough to push basketball down the list behind football, baseball, futbol, and boxing. Hard to appreciate a sport when you know coming into the game, any game, you will be at odds with the calls against any team with a notable "star".

WARRIORS@GR
03-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I love watching the best level of talent competing each other.
I love how every player tries to improve his weaknesses,too many european guys got to the nba,and when they came back they are so much better.
I love competitive playoff games.

I hate most of the regular season.most of the teams don't care,too many players don't care.The competition level in reg season is far lower than in europe,which i am used to watch.

bagwell368
03-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Hate:

Watered down teams
Mid season mid week games played with no interest or passion
Rampant emotionalism leading to ridiculous conclusions - like Celt fans overrating Rondo, or Knicks fans and Carmelo.
Brutal refs
inefficient shooters

Love

Deep teams
Fast breaks
Smart play
Conference Finals and Finals