PDA

View Full Version : Most Competitive Guys in the NBA

DreamShaker
03-08-2013, 12:57 AM
I thought about this when Kobe said that Westbrook had "Mamba Blood". I assumed he was talking about killer instinct and how he competes on the court. I know every NBA player worth anything is competitive, but you can tell the guys who just want it more than everyone else. So who do you think fits this bill?

DreamShaker
03-08-2013, 01:02 AM
I am watching the Nuggets-Clips game. Gotta say Farried is a guy who plays his tail off every game. I went to the Rising Stars game a few weeks ago, and he was like, one of the two or three players actually trying. He just can't turn it off.

utl768
03-08-2013, 01:05 AM
ill go with kobe

i seriously think that guy would drown his mother if it meant another title

ThunderousDemon
03-08-2013, 01:13 AM
CowBee Braint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_B3zHH6O4U

Hawkeye15
03-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Kobe

Sactown
03-08-2013, 01:17 AM
DeMarcus COUSINS! Hollllaaaa

DreamShaker
03-08-2013, 01:18 AM
That is the one thing nobody can knock him on. He is obsessed with winning, and never really slows down. Kobe is maniacal in his approach to the game.

utl768
03-08-2013, 01:20 AM
That is the one thing nobody can knock him on. He is obsessed with winning, and never really slows down. Kobe is maniacal in his approach to the game.

if some of the stars in this league had 1/4 of the determination kobe has the league would be so much better off long term

kobe is the last of a dying breed (im not even a kobe fan but you have to respect the heart)

mngopher35
03-08-2013, 01:37 AM
kobe and westbrook were the first that came to mind. Westbrook seems into every single game, even the little things pump him up. Some people find it annoying and I understand that but he really seems to go hard all game every game.

PrettyBoyJ
03-08-2013, 01:37 AM
Kobe, I never seen someone so committed to basketball.

b@llhog24
03-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Micheal Beasley.

Sactown
03-08-2013, 01:43 AM
Another good answer is Kevin Garnett.. will do anything to win

utl768
03-08-2013, 01:48 AM
Another good answer is Kevin Garnett.. will do anything to win

he is another one although his methods are unorthodox

chopraaa
03-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Kobe westbrook and rondo seem like the usual suspects as far competitive energy goes.

--23--
03-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Kobe said something similar last about CP3, Rose, & Westbrook and I agree with him, I would add KG to that list also.

Tony_Starks
03-08-2013, 02:20 AM
The funny thing about that is you either have it from day 1 or you don't. Like Kobe and KG were going all out from their very first games and have ever since....

Aust
03-08-2013, 02:50 AM
Quality thread. Gotta respect when the guy has the heart.

PacersForLife
03-08-2013, 03:01 AM
Kobe, Westbrook, CP3, Garnett, Pierce, Dirk, and even though I don't like him, Wade.

naps
03-08-2013, 03:03 AM
Kevin Garnett hands down. He's a douche but he inspires the will to win more than anyone. His competitiveness is contagious. I can guarantee this Clippers team will be favorites to win it all if they can somehow land KG without giving up CP3 and BG. He himself can turn a culture around completely.

Rondo, Wade, and Kobe are few more.

Steelers23_06
03-08-2013, 03:31 AM
Top five Kobe, kg, bron, kyrie and Ron artest in no particular order

Steelers23_06
03-08-2013, 03:33 AM
The funny thing about that is you either have it from day 1 or you don't. Like Kobe and KG were going all out from their very first games and have ever since....

Idk certain players take longer to mature look at Zach Randolph

salmonleg
03-08-2013, 03:42 AM
KG seems like he's in a class of his own with others mentioned just a step below. I mean, you can actually talk to the other guys on game day. Garnett? Keep your distance. And it isn't an act. He ain't playin'...

dalton749
03-08-2013, 03:46 AM
bargnani

DreamShaker
03-08-2013, 04:23 AM
Another guy who had it was Iverson. You can question his leadership and attitude, but he was so intense and played with a lot of heart. Even if he wasn't a gym rat like Kobe or Bird. But, then again, we talkin bout practice.

asandhu23
03-08-2013, 04:30 AM
*Insert name of player you like and the media has painted as a hardworker as if other players got there by luck.*

HYFR
03-08-2013, 04:34 AM
Cp3. Shocked not too many named him

Jimmer55
03-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Top five Kobe, kg, bron, kyrie and Ron artest in no particular order

Lebron? Kyrie? Come on. Just no.

Leftcoast_yg
03-08-2013, 08:28 AM
Kobe, CP3, Garnett, Metta, Wade, Westbrook, Farried, Ginobili, Duncan, Lebron, Rondo, Dragic, Rose, Fisher, Ibaka. All come to mind

xxplayerxx23
03-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Artest really? Anyway Kobe kg pierce Allen.

mightybosstone
03-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Eddy Curry.

Alexicon
03-08-2013, 09:55 AM
"go home raptors, you're drunk" LOL. i fan hate bargnani and dwane casey. The other day TO went to OT and bargs never played any minutes in the 4th quarter. so what does d-casey do? takes out amir and lucas for the whole OT (amir is the reason why they stayed in the game; lucas just went 3/3 from 3pt range too) and use bargs. if u check the stats, bargs has a couple days with 0/4 FGs. check his minutes and compare it to his stats. I swear all he's contributed to the raps is 1 block in the past cpl days. SMH. ANYWAY. I'm surprised nobody said JOAKIM NOAH on here. NOAH plays his heart out every game.

Aust
03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Surprised nobody has said Rose. The guy actually cares

C_Mund
03-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Usual suspects: Kobe, CP3, Wade... maybe Tyson Chandler...

Duncan has to be up there, but he seems more like a guy that's in competition with himself. It just turns out that when he plays his best he wins championships.
I can see guys that played super well at the collegiate level but aren't superstars being on this list too. You can't tell me Reddick is Duke's all-time scorer and doesn't have that drive.
For my homer picks I'm going to say Lowry and Amir Johnson, two guys that might have a bad game but never take a possession off.

I think that bench players that are willing to accept smaller roles in order to win need a bit more recognition. Manu could have started his whole career but he sacrificed minutes and stats for the team. That's competitive to me.

WhoAmI-
03-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Joakim Noah. He gets excited for a layup, and always seem pumped. Even at the all star game lol

prodigy
03-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Luke Walton

Nats_vcu-Okc35
03-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Larry sanders!!!!

beasted86
03-08-2013, 02:02 PM
KG, Kobe, Artest, Pierce, Noah.

ZHawk1123
03-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Taj Gibson... Guy has such a strong will to win.

Teeboy1487
03-08-2013, 02:15 PM
After Kobe, I have to say CP3.

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
lol... i didnt realize that you could get to the NBA without being ultra competitive.

Sactown
03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
Most competitive hands down is KG... dude bleeds Green

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-08-2013, 02:28 PM
people need to stop pretending as if they know what they're talking about. the players they're listing are COMPASSIONATE not competitive. everyone in the nba is competitive, otherwise how the heck do they get into the nba in the first place? lol..

clutch gene, more competitive lol we are all humans, not robots. people need to stop making up all these intangibles lol so silly.

Hawkeye15
03-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Eddy Curry.

Running crushers at 1 am just to get ahead...

Lakersfan2483
03-08-2013, 02:38 PM
I thought about this when Kobe said that Westbrook had "Mamba Blood". I assumed he was talking about killer instinct and how he competes on the court. I know every NBA player worth anything is competitive, but you can tell the guys who just want it more than everyone else. So who do you think fits this bill?

Kobe
Kevin Garnett
CP3
R. Westbrook
D. Rose
D. Wade

*Lebron is evolving into that type of a player, although he isn't like that by nature.

D-Leethal
03-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Kobe and KG are on a tier of their own for current players.

I think guys like CP3, Dirk, Duncan, Wade with lesser guys like Artest and David West being ultra competitive and playing with that competitive chip.

Amare should get some love here too but will probably just get bashed, guy cares more than anyone on the Knicks and is willing to do whatever it takes. You don't punch fire extinguishers and get 22 staples in your hand and come back and play 1 handed unless you give a ****.

D-Leethal
03-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Its always nice to see mega mega millionaires maintain that spirit that got them to the league, and its so sad to see the $$$ evaporate that competitive nature.

As competitive as LeBron is, he makes too many excuses for not winning it all for me to say hes cut from the same cloth. He might hate losing, but he seems to accept it when it rears its ugly head. Quotes like 'at the end of the day, those fans need to go home and live their lives', and the 'I don't think its all about championships' response to MJ tell me that.

still1ballin
03-08-2013, 04:12 PM
There is really only one answer to this question and thats Kobe.

The fact that this man is in his 17th year and is still playing as an elite player is remarkable. It shows you how much work he puts in the off season to get his body ready for a long 82 game season. He talks about all the time how he is always changing his diet and workouts to improve even more his body.

KnicksorBust
03-08-2013, 05:17 PM
It seems like most people think that it is a requirement to be a chest puffed out ******* but I can tell you right now that Duncan and Durant are easily two of the most competitive players in the league.

bucketss
03-08-2013, 05:20 PM
westbrook,lebron wade, and derrick rose pre injury.

jerellh528
03-08-2013, 06:38 PM
The answer is Kobe. He doesn't even let children score on him at his youth summer camps.

Money_23
03-08-2013, 06:38 PM
The answer is Kobe. He doesn't even let children score on him at his youth summer camps.

cold blooded. :laugh2:

Tony_Starks
03-08-2013, 06:41 PM
KG, Kobe, Artest, Pierce, Noah.

I don't know how I forgot this guy. I remember Kobe once said that Metta was the one teammate he absolutely knew was going to play hard every night. (was a low key diss to Pau, Bynum and Odom btw )

kdspurman
03-08-2013, 06:45 PM
It seems like most people think that it is a requirement to be a chest puffed out ******* but I can tell you right now that Duncan and Durant are easily two of the most competitive players in the league.

Yea, that's a very common misconception amongst a lot of people. If you aren't a big rah rah rah kinda guy, or showing a ton of emotion during the games, that you're not competitive. People show it in different ways.

Aust
03-08-2013, 07:13 PM
people need to stop pretending as if they know what they're talking about. the players they're listing are COMPASSIONATE not competitive. everyone in the nba is competitive, otherwise how the heck do they get into the nba in the first place? lol..

clutch gene, more competitive lol we are all humans, not robots. people need to stop making up all these intangibles lol so silly.

There are some players that are MORE competitive than other players. There are stories about how competitive MJ was and still is. You think he's just as competitive as, say, Hedo Turkoglu?
Really? I didn't think so.

Im_in_Mia_bish
03-08-2013, 07:41 PM
There are some players that are MORE competitive than other players. There are stories about how competitive MJ was and still is. You think he's just as competitive as, say, Hedo Turkoglu?
Really? I didn't think so.

PASSIONATE.
noone that is human is less competitive than the other. sorry. thats not how human nature works bro.

Tony_Starks
03-08-2013, 08:03 PM

Not true man. Skill and competitiveness are not the same thing. Lamar Odom has skill but if he had KG's heart he'd be one of the best bigs to ever play the game. Same for Beasley and on and on and on.

As far as getting in the league you don't have to be competitive to do that. Lots of players get in on stuff like size and potential. If you're a 7 footer and can play, or you're 6'5 or better with a lights out J you got a pretty good shot at making the league.

If everybody in the league was competitive you wouldn't see players on the bench laughing while their team is getting blown out.......

bucketss
03-08-2013, 08:27 PM

THANK YOU, smh i feel you man **** like clutch gene and killer instinct annoy the hell out of me, its just a way fans can suck up to their favorite player.

DallasTrilla23
03-08-2013, 11:22 PM
I saw KG crying because of how much it hurt him to lose in Minny.

So I'll go with KG but Kobe is probably just as competitive.

CHANGO
03-08-2013, 11:34 PM

I came just to write this. People think that because a player isn't (emotional) mad when he loses or throwing elbows and punches at his teammates they aren't competitive. Some players are just different.

There are players like Kobe, get mad at the world, curse etc... but work hard to get better and win.

But also there are other players that suck it up when they lose but still working hard to get better everyday. (e.j. Lebron)

Just because you aren't emotional, doesn't mean you aren't competitive.

4milesperday
03-09-2013, 12:18 AM
If they're not all competitive, they wont be in the NBA to begin with.

LoveMeOrHateMe
03-09-2013, 12:37 AM
Kobe and its not close

b@llhog24
03-09-2013, 01:00 AM
Paul Pierce, Manu, STAT, Tyson, Noah, Cp3.

Sactown
03-09-2013, 01:45 AM
Steve Nash, dude had his face blown apart and still played with one eye.

Baller1
03-09-2013, 01:51 AM
Lebron, Kobe, Durant, Westbrook, Garnett, Wade, Bosh, Duncan, Parker, CP3, etc...

Just name most of the stars in the league and you have the most competitive. It takes another level of dedication to be as great as all those guys, and they wanna be great because they're competitive.

TylerSL
03-09-2013, 02:25 AM
Kobe is the most competitive guy in the league by far, but several guys come to mind

In no order

Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Peirce, KG, Duncan, Doc, and Popovich

Dwight and Cousins are probably the least competitive if we make that list

Aust
03-09-2013, 02:28 AM
PASSIONATE.
noone that is human is less competitive than the other. sorry. thats not how human nature works bro.

1. Of, relating to, or characterized by competition.
2. Having or displaying a strong desire to be more successful than others: "she had a competitive streak".

LoveMeOrHateMe
03-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Today was the perfect example of who the most competitive guy is by far! Kobe willed the lakers to victory tonight clutch shot after clutch shot after clutch shot

hail2skins4life
03-09-2013, 02:38 AM
I'm just gonna assume that you have Kobe as a given #1. That being said KG is my #2 followed shortly by Westbrook.

I would have loved to see Kobe and KG play together. They are probably the two most competitive players ever.

Rain City
03-09-2013, 02:51 AM
the guys who have had the greatest careers are going to top the list but if you want to look for someone who is not in that category.... SHANE BATTIER.... nobody takes more charges, that is commitment, he gladly chooses to sacrafice for the sake of a W.

Rain City
03-09-2013, 02:52 AM
Today was the perfect example of who the most competitive guy is by far! Kobe willed the lakers to victory tonight clutch shot after clutch shot after clutch shot

didnt have a hole lot in the tank either. dude is incredible.

Sactown
03-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Kobe is the most competitive guy in the league by far, but several guys come to mind

In no order

Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Peirce, KG, Duncan, Doc, and Popovich

Dwight and Cousins are probably the least competitive if we make that list

That's a joke, he's super competitive, all that dude wants is to win.

DreamShaker
03-09-2013, 03:25 AM

I get what you are saying, I did start off by saying all players are competitive, this much is obvious. But you mentioned we are not robots, then suggested that nobody is more competitive than anybody else. Isn't that a contridiction? We are all different and approach the things in our lives different ways. If you want to call it passion, fire, competitive nature, will to win...it is all the same idea. And it was that idea I intended the thread to be about.

DreamShaker
03-09-2013, 03:31 AM
That's a joke, he's super competitive, all that dude wants is to win.

So you think him being frustrated at losing so much contributes to the outbursts he's had? That could make sense.

Sactown
03-09-2013, 04:31 AM
So you think him being frustrated at losing so much contributes to the outbursts he's had? That could make sense.
The usually why he goes all aggro... He's gone from never losing to Sacramento... He always wants to win
And he's constantly yelling at guys for taking stupid shots or not putting in effort on defense..

AnthonyTyrael
03-09-2013, 10:27 AM

Plus another one being a clutch dunkin'. Those threes were aweseome to say the least. That the first one went in...unbelievable.

hugepatsfan
03-09-2013, 10:43 AM
Kobe, KG

/thread

Raidaz4Life
03-09-2013, 10:48 AM
Kobe, KG

/thread

This, would have been interesting to see how they would have played together if the Lakers traded Bynum for KG.

KnicksorBust
03-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Paul Pierce, Manu, STAT, Tyson, Noah, Cp3.

He's way too lazy on defense to be considered one of the most competitive players in the league. I really like your other choices though.

JesusWears24
03-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Haslem. Close thread.

hail2skins4life
03-09-2013, 12:59 PM
The only guys that are real standout competitors are....

Kobe
KG
Noah
Westbrook
Rondo
Pierce
Paul

Not saying that other guys like LeBron, Durant, and Duncan aren't competitive. They are hella competitive. But these are the standout guys. When you think of competitive, these are the guys you should think of.