PDA

View Full Version : Robert Swift Evicted: Leaves a big mess

JasonJohnHorn
03-07-2013, 12:04 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/robert-swift-left-foreclosed-upon-house-leaving-massive-184535504--nba.html

It's always sad to hear stories like this... former first-round pick of the Supersonics, Robrert Swift, who was drafted straight out of highschool, but found himself without a job when his rookie contracted ended, has been evicted. The link above has a video of the house as he left it. Quite disgusting. This guy got picked ahead of Kris Humphires, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Kevin Martin, Anderson Varejao and Jameer Nelson.

So sad....

C_Mund
03-07-2013, 12:08 PM
He was a skilled player but walked into a swarm of injury bugs right from the get-go.
Always a shame.

D-Leethal
03-07-2013, 12:11 PM
I remember OKC picked him up a couple years ago and the dude was tatted up like Birdman. Seems like a weirdo. Tall ginger smothered in tats from the neck down.

BigBlueCrew
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
This, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when you dont go college and you dont happen to become a world class athlete.

KnickaBocka.44
03-07-2013, 12:25 PM
What do you expect? The guy made himself look like a junkie before he was even out of the league.

MrfadeawayJB
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
It's a sad situation but i dont feel too bad for him. Seems like he regretted his decision of not going to school with all those college letters he held on to.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
I could understand a messy kitchen occasionally but that kind of mess all over his house is a indication of something going on inside of him. After taxes and agents he probably made around 3-4 mill. Just looking at the video he left thousands of dollars of weapons and memorabilia in the house that he could have sold in a day at a local pawn store.

*Superman*
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I thought the "big mess" was that he **** on the floor or something, but yeah this was way worse.

Atticus Finch
03-07-2013, 04:30 PM
I met Swift when I was a senior in high school and he was a junior playing for Garces in Baskersfield. My uncle was actually his coach his first three years in high school, I got to know the guy a little bit and he was one of the nicest guys I've ever played against. My team went up for their annual tournament and we ended up getting matched up against his team in the first or second round. I started at power forward that game but because of foul trouble to our center I slid over and played center against him while we ran a 2-3 zone. I was about 6'0", maybe 6'2" with shoes on and at most 185 pounds, and even at 16 Swift was a legitimate 7 feet tall. During the second quarter Swift ended up getting good post position on me, they passed him the ball and all it took was one strong dribble and a drop step and he two handed dunked on me as hard as he possibly could. All I could do was grab the ball and start laughing, I knew I had no chance to stop him.

We came back from halftime and I was talking to Swift and one of the first things he said to me was "sorry for dunking on you man." It made me laugh again and I asked why he would be sorry for that, to which he said "coach (my uncle) said that if I didn't dunk specifically on you that I had to run a hundred quarter-courts after the game." Makes me pretty sad to see he's fallen this far, I was always rooting for him to make in the NBA

GiantsSwaGG
03-07-2013, 04:52 PM
What ashame

JasonJohnHorn
03-07-2013, 05:02 PM
I met Swift when I was a senior in high school and he was a junior playing for Garces in Baskersfield. My uncle was actually his coach his first three years in high school, I got to know the guy a little bit and he was one of the nicest guys I've ever played against. My team went up for their annual tournament and we ended up getting matched up against his team in the first or second round. I started at power forward that game but because of foul trouble to our center I slid over and played center against him while we ran a 2-3 zone. I was about 6'0", maybe 6'2" with shoes on and at most 185 pounds, and even at 16 Swift was a legitimate 7 feet tall. During the second quarter Swift ended up getting good post position on me, they passed him the ball and all it took was one strong dribble and a drop step and he two handed dunked on me as hard as he possibly could. All I could do was grab the ball and start laughing, I knew I had no chance to stop him.

We came back from halftime and I was talking to Swift and one of the first things he said to me was "sorry for dunking on you man." It made me laugh again and I asked why he would be sorry for that, to which he said "coach (my uncle) said that if I didn't dunk specifically on you that I had to run a hundred quarter-courts after the game." Makes me pretty sad to see he's fallen this far, I was always rooting for him to make in the NBA

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I think we, as fans, get detached from the players and forget they are human. When I saw the video, I thought: WOW!!! He has some troubles. I think it is easy to be envious of the wealth dropped on these guys, and easy to say: with 4 million I'd be set for life; and then look down on these guys for wasting it all, but it is so sad to see things like this.

It's a shame he didn't go to college. I saw all those letters from the colleges, and I felt so sad. All that potential just gone and wasted. I had heard he was playing over seas, so I thought he was still making some money, but I guess that didn't work out. It says in the article that the family who bought the house is not pressing charges for the condition of the house (which they apparently could have if they so desired) and that they have even reached out to him to offer him help, which I think is nice, but apparently nobody even knows where he is?

jmoney85
03-07-2013, 05:10 PM

damnnn lol... unc played you son haha

Atticus Finch
03-07-2013, 05:44 PM
damnnn lol... unc played you son haha

Yeah man tell me about it hahaha. We still joke about this every time we see each other. Even though I got dunked on it's probably my favorite memory from my high school playing days

NoahH
03-07-2013, 05:46 PM
I remember OKC picked him up a couple years ago and the dude was tatted up like Birdman. Seems like a weirdo. Tall ginger smothered in tats from the neck down.

Actually was drafted by Seattle and were with them through the move

Tony_Starks
03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
That's messed up. I remember he had promise but just could never seem to stay healthy. He's so young though I always figured if he worked hard enough he could go to the D League because of his size, put in work, and hope for a call up. He's obvious got some other issues going on though I would guess drugs. Hopefully this is his bottom and he gets it together......

SLY WILLIAMS
03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
He is still a young guy. He could still go to college, play overseas or be a coach if he gets things worked out.

Tmath
03-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Not sad at all. He had opportunity's and luxuries that not many people get just for being tall and semi skilled.

He didn't take advantage of his great situation and only has himself to blame.

kobe4thewinbang
03-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Not sad at all. He had opportunity's and luxuries that not many people get just for being tall and semi skilled.

He didn't take advantage of his great situation and only has himself to blame.This, or he's mentally ill.

salmonleg
03-08-2013, 03:31 AM
I worked for a radio station in Bellingham the year he was drafted and went to the draft media day event. Reporters were swarming the big stars like Ray Allen and Rashard so I went around the room for 1 on 1's with the guys that weren't so much in demand like Luke and Nick Collison. Swift was standing alone in the corner (no tats at that point) looking very young and shy so I went over and stuck a mic in his face. Very nice kid. VERY young-seeming. People really do forget that these guys, especially when they get drafted early, are just kids. Kevin Durant (not the same year) was the same way. I remember he had on a powder-blue suit, really narrow shoulders and looked like a deer in the headlights. All the millions of dollars on your contract doesn't mean that the normal things that bother you and me aren't supposed to affect them. It actually creates a lot more pressure, A LOT more! By the way, biggest piece of crap I ever interviewed? Danny Fortson. Every answer he gave had an subtext to it designed to cause trouble. A very unlikeable person.

Greedy22
03-08-2013, 03:48 AM
I remember growing up watching him play at Garces and Bakersfield, he had so much potential. It's a shame it came to this for him. His dad lives with my old neighbor and said Robert blew a majority of his money on guns and snakes.

Duncan = Donkey
03-08-2013, 05:01 AM
He seems like a low life loser

Jimmer55
03-08-2013, 08:01 AM
God bless him.

kduce
03-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Imagine if he had any kind of drug problem and then someone gives you 4 million dollars, gotta get your head right before you step into that kind of money. Look at Chris Herren, he hit major lows during his career, but he's turned it all around now and is trying to prevent other people from making his same mistakes. Hopefully Chris can reach out to Swift and try and help him. Those people who bought his house seem like really good people too, seems like they really want to help him and them not pressing charges hopefully will be an act of kindness that Swift takes advantage of so he can open his eyes and get it together.