PDA

View Full Version : Should Two made free throws equal an assist?

Nick O
03-06-2013, 08:52 PM
I have been thinking this for a couple years and now I just heard an analyst say this.

And I was wondering if anyone else feels that if Someone makes a pass and his team mate gets fouled. should that player get credited with an assist if his team mate makes both free throws? i see alot of times when a player will make a great pass only to have his assist ruined by a foul. Should this become a new NBA rule?

CubsBullsBucs
03-06-2013, 08:54 PM
SERIOUSLY HAVE BEEN THINKING THIS FOREVER!

idk the answer. i get both side of the argument.

no cuz its not fair that some pg's will get ripped for having bad ft team mates

yes cuz, well you made both ft's.

Minimal
03-06-2013, 08:55 PM
I think this was discussed a lot of times. Yes I believe, the player who passes the ball to a player who gets fouled and makes atleast 1 free throw should be granted an assist.

GREATNESS ONE
03-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Nope. Not fair to the history of the game, the assist record would be broken quickly.

Nick O
03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Nope. Not fair to the history of the game, the assist record would be broken quickly.

thats a solid point.. but its just annoying to see so many guys get ripped of assists

Nick O
03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
thats a solid point.. but its just annoying to see so many guys get ripped of assists

lol and even then i think Stocktons record is pretty untouchable

Nick O
03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
SERIOUSLY HAVE BEEN THINKING THIS FOREVER!

idk the answer. i get both side of the argument.

no cuz its not fair that some pg's will get ripped for having bad ft team mates

yes cuz, well you made both ft's.

lol so not just me? good aha

ATX
03-06-2013, 09:06 PM
I have often thought about this question. It is unfortunate see a player get robbed when making a great pass only to see the recipient get bear hugged as he goes up for the easy dunk.

NBA_Starter
03-06-2013, 09:19 PM
I think it should be looked at also how about a good screen that frees a shooter it makes sense.

meloman1592
03-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Been thinking of this forever, idk the answer tho

jammastershake
03-06-2013, 09:22 PM
lol no

yaswaggin
03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
No it should be a seperate stat: passes that led to fouls

Hawkeye15
03-06-2013, 09:55 PM

this.

Atticus Finch
03-06-2013, 10:02 PM
I've been thinking about this one for a while but eventually you come into some problems. If the guy is fouled shooting a layup and makes both freethrows that would count as an assist, but what if he is fouled shooting a three pointer? Does 2/3 make the assist or does it have to be 3/3? What about in the bonus situation? Does the shooter have to be fouled in the act of shooting for the passer to get credited with an assist?

Nick O
03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
I've been thinking about this one for a while but eventually you come into some problems. If the guy is fouled shooting a layup and makes both freethrows that would count as an assist, but what if he is fouled shooting a three pointer? Does 2/3 make the assist or does it have to be 3/3? What about in the bonus situation? Does the shooter have to be fouled in the act of shooting for the passer to get credited with an assist?

ya i was thinking it would be a shooting foul ... and if its a 3 point play i guess hed have to make 3... a little confusing

Nick O
03-06-2013, 10:19 PM
I think it should be looked at also how about a good screen that frees a shooter it makes sense.

ya reggie evans was saying that. i think thats a good idea

John Walls Era
03-06-2013, 10:26 PM
nah. they should just invent a new stat that counts 'a pass that leads to shooting fouls'. Not a stat that would be on a boxscore, but in case someone wants to look more in depth.

Chronz
03-06-2013, 10:32 PM
I agree with the crowd that says it wouldn't be fair to players of the past but it wasn't fair when they changed the definition of assists the first time.

Still, why not add a new stat?

Sactown
03-06-2013, 10:37 PM
I get that it's unfair to the person passing the ball to someone and then they get fouled, but isn't equally unfair if you're CP3, and DJ and Griffen get fouled and miss 1?

ATX
03-06-2013, 11:01 PM
The added stat could be total points off assists. You could include 3 pointers too.

For example:

6(17) versus 6(13)

!st player had 6 assists that accounted for 17 points. 5 two point FGs, a 3 pointer and 4 points off FTs.

2nd player had 6 assists that accounted for 13 points. 6 two point FGs and 1 point off FTs.

bholly
03-06-2013, 11:43 PM

This, if anything.

Nick O
03-06-2013, 11:47 PM
I get that it's unfair to the person passing the ball to someone and then they get fouled, but isn't equally unfair if you're CP3, and DJ and Griffen get fouled and miss 1?

a little.. but even then.. its like a 50% chance he gets an assist as oppose to 0%

Nick O
03-06-2013, 11:47 PM
The added stat could be total points off assists. You could include 3 pointers too.

For example:

6(17) versus 6(13)

!st player had 6 assists that accounted for 17 points. 5 two point FGs, a 3 pointer and 4 points off FTs.

2nd player had 6 assists that accounted for 13 points. 6 two point FGs and 1 point off FTs.

i like this

Chapin78
03-06-2013, 11:58 PM
Not saying its a bad idea. I am just saying that it wouldnt be a true assist. If a player makes a nice pass and gets his teammate in a position to shoot and make a shot thats a nice thing. If a player gets fouled while receiving a nice pass its just part of the game. I don't see any reason to make any change to the rules for this particular reason. Sorry bro but nice idea.

mvb815
03-07-2013, 12:23 AM
i'm all for making it a separate stat, mainly for scouting

also 2 assists for passing the blunt

Nick O
03-07-2013, 12:43 AM
Not saying its a bad idea. I am just saying that it wouldnt be a true assist. If a player makes a nice pass and gets his teammate in a position to shoot and make a shot thats a nice thing. If a player gets fouled while receiving a nice pass its just part of the game. I don't see any reason to make any change to the rules for this particular reason. Sorry bro but nice idea.

well it wouldnt only be if it was a shooting foul i feel.. but even then i know it wouldnt happen.. i think if it were a seperate stat. it would be a good thing

PurpleJesus
03-07-2013, 12:45 AM
I think there should be a stat for how many points come from a direct pass from a player...making free throws assists would mess up some of the history of the game, as players like John Sotckton did not not have this advantage...but, if a player passes to a guy in stride, and he gets fouled and goes to the line...why not recognize the play that lead to the free throws?

NYCkid12
03-07-2013, 12:59 AM
I say no bc for as many times that a player would have an assist if it wasn't for a foul , there are ones where a pass wouldn't have led to 2 if it weren't for a foul .. If that makes any sense

For example, in the last minute of a game when a team is down .. If someone inboands the ball and the player gets fouled right away .. Should that really count as an assist? I think the stat would become even more confusing even if it is a stat like "pass that leads to foul"

Nick O
03-07-2013, 01:08 AM
I think there should be a stat for how many points come from a direct pass from a player...making free throws assists would mess up some of the history of the game, as players like John Sotckton did not not have this advantage...but, if a player passes to a guy in stride, and he gets fouled and goes to the line...why not recognize the play that lead to the free throws?

true. but i do love the idea being thrown out of "passes that lead to points" would be a solid stat imo

BlinkManJan02
03-07-2013, 01:32 AM
When I play nba2k I think this ALL THE TIME

LongWayFromHome
03-07-2013, 01:53 AM

What about just add a stat - foul assists (or something). Then it doesn't matter who makes free throws you still know he set the fouled player up. Then obv all the stat geeks will us "combined assists" to figure our who the "real assist champion is" and the traditionalists can keep their history.

PS - coaching 14u girls we keep a stat called "potential assists" because many players are so bad at scoring despite being set up beautifully.

LongWayFromHome
03-07-2013, 02:01 AM
I say no bc for as many times that a player would have an assist if it wasn't for a foul , there are ones where a pass wouldn't have led to 2 if it weren't for a foul .. If that makes any sense

For example, in the last minute of a game when a team is down .. If someone inboands the ball and the player gets fouled right away .. Should that really count as an assist? I think the stat would become even more confusing even if it is a stat like "pass that leads to foul"

I am pretty sure this would only count for fouls on shot attempts that would have been assists if the shot was made.

Nick O
03-07-2013, 02:29 AM
I am pretty sure this would only count for fouls on shot attempts that would have been assists if the shot was made.

pretty much this

Alayla
03-07-2013, 03:28 AM
Even 1 getting the guy to the line is MORE valuable because you know it didn't come from the guy throwing the ball to a guard with no time on the shot clock and needs to chuck a 3 or something.

Rndy
03-07-2013, 03:29 AM
I always think about this while playing nba 2k13.

Nick O
03-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Even 1 getting the guy to the line is MORE valuable because you know it didn't come from the guy throwing the ball to a guard with no time on the shot clock and needs to chuck a 3 or something.

ya if you were to create this rule im not sure if you would make it for 1 or both. and then what happens on a 3 point play? but still

NYJ - NYY
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM

agreed!

hidalgo
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Nope. Not fair to the history of the game, the assist record would be broken quickly.i agree. unless they can give credit to all the past players for the same thing, then they shouldn't change it

do i think it should have always been like the topic starter's idea of an assist for 2 made free throws from a pass leading to the foul? yes, it should have been that way from the start. but unfair to change it now

CELTICS4LYFE
03-07-2013, 11:03 AM
No.

They dont assist the made free throws and you're assuming that he would of made the shot if he wasnt fouled.

The player/team is already rewarded with FREEthrows.

I think a better idea would be to have "hockey assists" but keep them recorded seprate from regular assists.

Sly Guy
03-07-2013, 11:11 AM
I think this was discussed a lot of times. Yes I believe, the player who passes the ball to a player who gets fouled and makes atleast 1 free throw should be granted an assist.

I'd go with half assists on 1 made free throw. I'm all for the idea, although comparing stats generation to generation would become more difficult. But then again, there's always PSD to do that.

NoahH
03-07-2013, 07:05 PM

could be useful

ManRam
03-07-2013, 07:08 PM
Always a thought that crossed my mind...but I'd feel weird if they did change it, mainly just for statistical/historical reasons.

KnicksorBust
03-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I agree with the crowd that says it wouldn't be fair to players of the past but it wasn't fair when they changed the definition of assists the first time.

Still, why not add a new stat?

Yup.

I think this is a great idea. I made a similar thread a while back asking if people would rather see this added as an assist or the "hockey assist." I'm always in favor of extra stats that will allow us to analyze players more accurately. If we knew that Rondo averaged 10apg but also 4astft then it'd be even more impressive.

Wilson
03-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Yep that's what I was thinking. It's not a glaring flaw so there's no point in changing it now and changing the rules that PGs have always played by.

I also think that the point of an assist is that it creates an easy basket. If you pass to a guy but he gets fouled while shooting, you obviously didn't give him an unmissable shot. Not that a pass leading to a foul isn't useful though. I'd prefer it if pass-leading-to-foul was a more commonly tracked statistic, rather than just changing the assist stat.

EDIT: And I see that if I'd read the thread, I would have seen that someone else has already come up with the pass leading to foul stat idea :p

Nick O
03-07-2013, 11:37 PM
No.

They dont assist the made free throws and you're assuming that he would of made the shot if he wasnt fouled.

The player/team is already rewarded with FREEthrows.

I think a better idea would be to have "hockey assists" but keep them recorded seprate from regular assists.

i think the hockey assist stat would be kinda neat aha