PDA

View Full Version : Coaches in the NBA

D-Leethal
03-06-2013, 04:27 PM
If you look at it, there are probably 4-5 fanbases that are happy with the coach of their team. Is this an implication on the quality of coaches or the fact that fans simply are not reasonable when it comes to the coaches of their teams?

Besides: Popovich, Doc, Vogel, Thibs is there a coach out there that isn't on the fans hot seat?

My personal belief is that you can go back in hindsight, microanalyze coaching decisions made throughout a game, and pin the loss on the coach in ANY loss, for ANY coach, but that to me takes the 'grass is greener' mentality where you assume whatever the alternative decision was would have worked and won the game.

I think JVG nailed it on the head when he said: "Sometimes in coaching there are no right answers"

I think coaching is all about being the 'right fit', I think for the most part any coach in this league can work with the right cast. Coaches aren't one size fits all where you can go to any squad, with any type of players or personalities and make it work (obviously there are guys like Pat Riley and Popovich who have done that).

So I am interested in hearing the thoughts of fans from other teams, because I know Knicks fans want to fire the coach after the first mini losing streak of the season and seem to believe a guy like Phil Jackson could waltz in NY and all of a sudden they will just love all the decisions a coach makes.

Are fans just unreasonable or do the majority of coaches in this league suck?

Tony_Starks
03-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Majority of the coaches in the league suck. Mostly due to the fact that the same guys that can never get it done just get recycled from team to team such as the Randy Whitmans and Dwayne Caseys of the world. Then you have you're totally overrated coaches such as Antoni.

Things are starting to change though. The more guys like Mark Jackson or Brian Shaw that get a shot the better.......

Nats_vcu-Okc35
03-06-2013, 05:04 PM
I might get killed for this but, i think scott brooks is bordering on that category. He has shown improvement with his team on a year to year basis, based on record and team efficiency. He is also due some credit that his team, despite losing James harden, seems minimally phased so far this season.

I understand there are those who question his end of game strategy, and feel he let's westbrook dominate the ball too much for a team that has Kevin Durant. Durant seems to think it works, at least publicly, so if it works for him, their record and efficiency ratings would support that it does indeed work for this roster.

I always like those defense first coaches, and using Durant as the measuring stick, his rebound/block/steal numbers have all gone up the past three years, as well as okc's team defensive ratings. He preaches defense first, and that's what the team has bought into.

Other coaches I think are on their way up:
Mark Jackson
Kevin mchale
Brian shaw (I have a feeling he's gonna be like thibs in the "how has this guy not had a team until now?" Type of guys category)
Jim Boylan
And George Karl has kept Denver steady.

rockbottom2010
03-06-2013, 05:16 PM
i thinks its going be either hollins, karl or vogel...vogel stepped up big time

LongIslandIcedZ
03-06-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm happy with Woodson. He seems like he can be a little stubborn at times, but its pretty tough to complain with his record as Knicks coach.

He's no Phil Jackson, but a very solid coach in his own right.

HYFR
03-06-2013, 05:47 PM
In the nba you need players first and foremost. Coaching in this league is more about massaging egos than anything else. Yes there are a handful of great coaches that can turn teams around but they need the players. I'm sure there are plenty of heat fans that would drop spo in a second but they will win despite him because they have talent.