PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Claim Roman Hamrlik Off Waivers

metswon69
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

#NYR Rangers have claimed D Roman Hamrlik off waivers

Am guessing for depth purposes but could also be a signal in regards to Staal.

I guess we will find out.

A 38 year old defenseman who has only played 4 games this year but could be a good 3rd line defender.

bsi
03-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Rangers claimed Roman Hamrlik off waivers from Washington.

metswon69
03-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I just posted it too lol...

Guess Sly will merge..

bsi
Decent signing, needed D depth, can shoot on the PP if needed.

bsi

Guess Sly will merge..

Hahaha...ya saw that.

metswon69
Yeah hope its not any sign into whats happened with Staal though.

bsi
03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
Yeah hope its not any sign into whats happened with Staal though.

I don't think so, we needed someone in our bottom pairing anyway, didn't have to give up anything for him and he's a UFA at years end. Was a good move by Slats, just surprised we were able to get him really.

metswon69
03-06-2013, 01:17 PM
I don't think so, we needed someone in our bottom pairing anyway, didn't have to give up anything for him and he's a UFA at years end. Was a good move by Slats, just surprised we were able to get him really.

Yeah he's good depth and definitely a decent 3rd pair option.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Rangers had internally discussed picking up Hamrlik off waivers even before Staal's injury

daviek
03-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Yeah he's good depth and definitely a decent 3rd pair option.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

He was easy to pick up because he was a healthy scratch for 16 out of the 20 games the Caps have played. He is an upgrade over Stu Bickel. I also fear that the proximity to the Staal injury may indicate a big problem for Marc, even if it was discussed internally before the injury.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
I have not heard his name in years. Hopefully he works out well. :)

SLY WILLIAMS
03-06-2013, 01:32 PM

Guess Sly will merge..

Hahaha...ya saw that.

Screw Sly. I say we should have as many Roman Hamrlik threads as we want!!! Fight the power!!! :D

nyr2002nyr
03-06-2013, 01:33 PM
I have not herd his name in years. Hopefully he works out well. :)

He always had a cannon on the PP. Has anyone heard anything about Staal yet?

bsi
03-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I have not herd his name in years. Hopefully he works out well. :)

He hasn't fit into Washington since he got there really. His last year in Montreal was decent though, 2 years ago. If he can be a reliable 3rd pair with say Stralman then he'll be a useful pick up. McDonagh, DelZotto and Girardi played too much in playoffs because Bickel couldn't be relied on last year and it cost us in fatigue induced turnovers.

metswon69
03-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Screw Sly. I say we should have as many Roman Hamrlik threads as we want!!! Fight the power!!! :D

:laugh2:

Sorry having a Public Enemy flashback..

metswon69
03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
He always had a cannon on the PP. Has anyone heard anything about Staal yet?

Still checking twitter on my work laptop lol.

Nothing yet.

metswon69
03-06-2013, 01:39 PM
He hasn't fit into Washington since he got there really. His last year in Montreal was decent though, 2 years ago. If he can be a reliable 3rd pair with say Stralman then he'll be a useful pick up. McDonagh, DelZotto and Girardi played too much in playoffs because Bickel couldn't be relied on last year and it cost us in fatigue induced turnovers.

Agree 100%..

In fact i hope Slats is still considering other defensemen. That top 4 takes on way too much responsibility at times and like you said you saw the fatigue in the playoffs last year.

NYY09
03-06-2013, 01:43 PM
Agree 100%..

In fact i hope Slats is still considering other defensemen. That top 4 takes on way too much responsibility at times and like you said you saw the fatigue in the playoffs last year.

Yeah but that was after 82 games. They should have no problems riding them for this shortened season, in theory anyway... :p

bsi
Agree 100%..

Gonchar is said to be available if Ottawa falls out of the playoff race, I'd want him if for nothing else but to help DelZotto on the PP like he did with Karlsson. Not sure how much ice time 5 on 5 he'd get with Torts but for our PP he'd help. He's not the most defensively responsible player though.

bsi
Yeah but that was after 82 games. They should have no problems riding them for this shortened season, in theory anyway... :p

In theory yes, but I think the players aren't in the shape they were to start the year last year either so it can go both ways on that.

metswon69
03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

#Rangers gathering medical info 2day regarding Marc Staal but early indications r his eye injury isn't career threatening. Out indefinitely

Retweeted by Andrew Gross btw..

metswon69
03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
In theory yes, but I think the players aren't in the shape they were to start the year last year either so it can go both ways on that.

It's tough because this year feels like a playoff atmosphere because of the condensed schedule in terms of days and how every game feels like a fight for the playoffs.

Combine that with guys not having their traditional offseason, preseason, and practice time in terms of getting into shape like you mentioned and you could make the case fatigue will still be as much of a factor.

NYY09
03-06-2013, 01:59 PM
It's tough because this year feels like a playoff atmosphere because of the condensed schedule in terms of days and how every game feels like a fight for the playoffs.

Combine that with guys not having their traditional offseason, preseason, and practice time in terms of getting into shape like you mentioned and you could make the case fatigue will still be as much of a factor.

You really think that? Yeah the games are more meaningful and all but I don't quite see a "playoff atmosphere" where everyone is going all out...

metswon69
03-06-2013, 02:03 PM
You really think that? Yeah the games are more meaningful and all but I don't quite see a "playoff atmosphere" where everyone is going all out...

I get that impression because each individual game is worth more in a 48 game season compared to 82 games.

Especially now with some teams having gone through half their schedule already.

metswon69
03-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl

Eric Staal says Marc Staal is waiting for swelling to go down around his right eye b4 further determination can be made about his injury.

J4KOP99
03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Well, we needed a defensemen to sure up our last pairing... we will see how Hamrlik does. As BSI said, Slats may still need to make another move (no matter what happens with staal)

-Now, onto Staal. Early reports are not good and judging solely off of what we saw last night, you'd have to guess that he broke his orbital bone, suffered some sort of concussion, and will have some sort of vision impairment (due to swelling) for the foreseeable future. Horrible news and just plain old ****** luck. He was playing great hockey this year and it just sucks to see him go down like that. Nobody's fault at all, just how the game works sometimes.

fingerbang
03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Not career threatening is all you could ask for at this point.

bsi
03-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Not career threatening is all you could ask for at this point.

Ya I agree, from looking at the replay in slow motion it looks like it might have hit above his eye maybe and it was said he didn't go to the hospital as of midnight last night so he can't be having eye issues.

metswon69
03-06-2013, 02:41 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=658860

"He sounded like he was in OK spirits but we don't know a lot right now. Obviously we're saying prayers and hoping he dodged a bullet as far as being struck in that area. We'll know more with some more time."

Eric said Marc "sounded pretty good" during the phone conversation the two had Wednesday morning.

"But, again, we're not going to know more until more swelling goes down and what the experts talk to him about, so we'll see," Eric said.

lvlheaded
03-06-2013, 04:38 PM
On a side note: Who else is super happy that Sly is back full time? Now if only he could run the NBA forum too, this site may regain some credibility :D

oak2455
03-06-2013, 05:22 PM
On a side note: Who else is super happy that Sly is back full time? Now if only he could run the NBA forum too, this site may regain some credibility :D

I don't know if God could fix the NBA forum

SLY WILLIAMS
03-06-2013, 05:54 PM

Dude I do not get my raise unless you post this in every forum. I told you that I can not pay you if you only do part of the job!!! :D

Bobshirleyrules
03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Lot of optimism on Staal.

I think Staal will be ok

1.) The biggest is that he did not go to the hospital. I am not an eye doctor, but my guess is that if he were in danger of losing vision in his eye they would have stabalized him as much as possible in a Hospital. The fact thhe didn't even go is a great sign!

2.) His brother said the swelling has to go down, but he may have dodged a bullet.

3.) He got up and didn't look groggy (Last thing this guy needs is a cuncussion).

I think he will need to learn to use a visor, but I expect him back.

As for the short Season. Rangers are in good position for a 5 or 6 seed. Personally, as a Ranger fan the 6th seed is fine with me. Play the 3rd division winner and go. We passed Philly by a point but they have like three games on hand.

I think the Rangers are starting to put it together.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I sure hope Marc is okay. He had so much to overcome last season and has really been playing well. What a tough break for him.

IAmARanger18
03-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Staal will be okay but he is out indefinitely, good news.

And I like the Hamrlik claim.

metswon69
03-06-2013, 07:43 PM
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/

Update on Staal is upbeat

The Rangers have just released the following statement on Marc Staal and his prognosis and it’s probably the best news that could have been expected.

The defenseman is out indefinitely but it does not seem to be a career-threatening injury, or, on a more personal level, one that could threaten his vision.

Here is the Rangers’ statement:

“Following an injury suffered in last night’s game vs. Philadelphia, Marc Staal was examined today in New York by Dr. Mark Fromer, ophthalmologist, and Dr. Mendel Markowitz, maxillofacial surgeon. The injury has improved significantly and both doctors are optimistic that Marc will make a full recovery. Staal will be sidelined indefinitely.”

So in addition to examining Staal’s right eye, seeing a maxillofacial surgeon probably indicates they were checking for breaks in his facial bones such as the jaw, cheek or orbital bones.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-06-2013, 07:50 PM
I got hit with a softball and a puck in and around the eye. Both times it was nearly swollen closed. It turned out to be fine a couple of days later. Not everyone is as lucky as I was but I'm really hoping Marc is 100% okay soon.

freddy686
03-06-2013, 11:54 PM
well if he got hit in the eye like i did with the puck he will be out for the season... i was bed ridden in the hospital for 2 months.. doctor said i couldnt move my eye had to have no lighting at all and couldnt even watch tv for two months .. also visitors could only stay for a short time .. my eye swelled to a size of a orange .. it was filled with blood .. doctors thought id lose my vison and i didnt .. my eye doctor was the eye doctor for the ny islanders .. i told him i was a ranger fan so i better get my site back no excuse haha .. it was the worst 2 months of my life ... bryan berrard had the same problem i did from getting hit in the eye with the puck.. i sure hope thats not the case for marc .. if he didnt go to the hospital like u guys said then its a good sign.. seeing him squirm on the ice brings back nightmares... well anyways i think the signing was because marc well be out for a while at least a month .. at almost 4 mil cap hit it sure ties us up from getting another guy at the trade deadline with any star power ...

J4KOP99
03-07-2013, 12:19 AM
he will not need surgery per espn

SLY WILLIAMS
03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Hamrlik’s addition hurts Mats

By LARRY BROOKS
Last Updated: 3:10 AM, March 7, 2013

The Rangers’ waiver claim of defenseman Roman Hamrlik will make a contract offer to Mats Zuccarello more problematic.

Hamrlik represents the 49th player under contract in the organization, one under the league maximum. Adding Zuccarello, the restricted free agent whose Magnitogorsk Metallurg KHL team was eliminated from the the playoffs on Tuesday, would severely restrict the Rangers’ options approaching the April 3 trade deadline.

General manager Glen Sather told The Post last week that he would reach out to Zuccarello at the conclusion of his season, but the club has not presented the winger with a formal offer despite having had informal discussions on the matter with agent Don Meehan.

Zuccarello is under a two-year contract that contains an NHL out clause after this season. The Blueshirts would therefore have to extend the 25-year-old a one-way offer through at least next season in order to induce him to leave Russia.http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/hamrlik_addition_hurts_mats_wd664wIcSpq0UUaB06N0TO ?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Rangers

metswon69
03-07-2013, 10:58 AM
:(

I wanted Zooks back too..

bsi
03-07-2013, 02:01 PM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/hamrlik_addition_hurts_mats_wd664wIcSpq0UUaB06N0TO ?utm_medium=rss&utm_content=Rangers

If he wants Zuccarello here he'll trade someone away for a draft pick, I wouldn't worry about that restricting anything. There's a ton of players in our system we could do without.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-07-2013, 02:37 PM
I think Roman is an over 35 contract. Is his salary 3.5 mill? How does that effect our cap this season?

bsi
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
As of today we could take on a contract of around 2.8 mill per year, at the deadline 5.9 with the people we have on the roster now.

SLY WILLIAMS
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
As of today we could take on a contract of around 2.8 mill per year, at the deadline 5.9 with the people we have on the roster now.

I was surprised at Roman's salary if that salary I read was accurate. I hope he is worth that $$$ even on a prorated expiring deal.

bsi
03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I was surprised at Roman's salary if that salary I read was accurate. I hope he is worth that $$$ even on a prorated expiring deal.

He's not worth the money as a real value but as a player that the coach will trust to be on the ice and give the top 4 a break he's worth it. I said it in the playoffs last year that the only reason the Devils beat us was because we didn't have a 3rd pair D and our top 4 got tired and made fatigue induced mistakes. If Hamrlik can be that guy and play with Stralman on the 3rd pair it will be worth it. He's a rental player that we got for nothing but his remaining salary so I think it's a good gamble.

freddy686
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
i can see gaborik and boyle being moved .. for more of a role player like the year we got esi tikkenan and stephan mattaeu... poor gabs looks lost out there and boyle .. and make alot of money .....

metswon69
03-07-2013, 06:15 PM
I don't see them moving Gabs...

Not with a team that's offensively challenged to begin with.

Mr.Wiskers
03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
The NYPost article says we can sign 1 more person to reach are max for the year, but we can trade a contract if need be and as far as Lindberg and Fasth--they were already signed with us--part of those contract that we already gave out. So I'm not worried about getting someone else. Tho I could see making a trade, more than likely Gaborik( a great player but doesn't fit our style)--maybe Gaborik and a pick for Corey Perry.

Mr.Wiskers
03-08-2013, 05:53 PM
With Getzlaf getting 8.25 mil., you have to expect Perry to get at least that--maybe too much for Ana. to pay considering the Ducks now have 19 mil. In cap space with 15 players signed. If Koivu and Selanne get 4 mil. A piece and Perry got 8.25mil. That would be 18 players signed and only about 2.75 mil. Left to roundoutthe rest of their roster. Yeah, Gaborik is making 7.5 mil so that would only save Ana. 750k but with a pick or prospect added and the fact that they would still be a contending team maybe it can get done.

metswon69
03-08-2013, 06:18 PM
With Getzlaf getting 8.25 mil., you have to expect Perry to get at least that--maybe too much for Ana. to pay considering the Ducks now have 19 mil. In cap space with 15 players signed. If Koivu and Selanne get 4 mil. A piece and Perry got 8.25mil. That would be 18 players signed and only about 2.75 mil. Left to roundoutthe rest of their roster. Yeah, Gaborik is making 7.5 mil so that would only save Ana. 750k but with a pick or prospect added and the fact that they would still be a contending team maybe it can get done.

Problem is Perry is a UFA at the end of the season and considering what Getzlaf just got Perry's market has only become that much more expensive.

It's hard to believe they would deal Perry too considering they are second in the NHL in points.

redwhiteandblue
03-08-2013, 06:33 PM
I could see Gabs and maybe Kreider or a top prospect and pick for Perry.

bsi
03-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Bobby Ryan will be the guy getting moved if anyone goes not Perry.

Mr.Wiskers
03-08-2013, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't mind Ryan either, but he's only making 5.1 mil. His contract wouldn't be as restrictive to Ana. As Perry's 8.25mil.( if he does get what Getzlaf got that is) . The reason I used Gaborik in a deal WAS because Ana. Will make the playoffs this year and Gaborik is a great player with a year left on his contract after this. Where as Perry is an unrestricted free agent after this year which would mean if they rolled with him all year they could lose him for nothing. It would be in their best interest to deal him now in order to get something for him but at the same time getting Gaborik( a top line player) in return would still keep them competitive. As far as Perry for us, it would go without saying that we would ask for a negotiating window.
I know theres a slim to none chance of it happening but, Perry is our type of player and Gabby isn't. Plus with players like Miller,Hagelin,Stepan and Lindberg and Fasth--- all young players with low end contracts who are well schooled defensively and have good scoring ability we can afford to throw money at 2 or 3 superstars.

redwhiteandblue
03-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Despite what some shotgun-critics who are fans may say at times, the talent and youth in this farm system and franchise is good. Not amazing or great, but it's where it needs to be right now.

Now more then ever it is important that they keep drafting and developing well, that is how you can afford to pay premium price for a few players.

bsi
03-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Despite what some shotgun-critics who are fans may say at times, the talent and youth in this farm system and franchise is good. Not amazing or great, but it's where it needs to be right now.

Now more then ever it is important that they keep drafting and developing well, that is how you can afford to pay premium price for a few players.

It would be nice to have an elite talent or two in there though. Kreider should be that guy but I'm more inclined to think of him as a 2nd line guy right now. Keep an eye on Minnesota over the next couple years if you wanna see a good farm system.

metswon69
03-10-2013, 07:53 PM
Looks like they want to get Hamrlik more conditioning time considering how little he played in the third period against Ottawa and the fact that he was scratched in today's game.

bsi
03-10-2013, 07:59 PM
Looks like they want to get Hamrlik more conditioning time considering how little he played in the third period against Ottawa and the fact that he was scratched in today's game.

Ya he hasn't played much this year, he'll be better once he gets in shape, though I didn't find he played too bad as it was.