PDA

View Full Version : Heat Sign 40 Year Old Juwan Howard

CubsBullsBucs
03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
Great signing IMO. He's got a lot left in the tank and I think this ensures another championship in South Beach.

Celticsfan2007
03-02-2013, 05:17 PM
link?

I heard this was possibility. He didn't have much left the past few years, I'm wondering if this is more of a "coach on the bench" type of move.

CubsBullsBucs
03-02-2013, 05:17 PM
link?

I heard this was possibility. He didn't have much left the past few years, I'm wondering if this is more of a "coach on the bench" type of move.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/heat/2013/03/02/juwan-howard-signs-miami/1958981/

xxplayerxx23
03-02-2013, 05:18 PM
He's done but he can be a good locker room guy I guess

Everymanalion
03-02-2013, 05:20 PM
One of the goofiest looking dudes in the NBA, just like Lebron, at 18 he looked like he was 40.

gotoHcarolina52
03-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Juwan Howard on the court in the 4th quarter >>>> Red Auerbach's victory cigar

Guppyfighter
03-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Yeah, the Heat are just coasting. They can't rebound because of effort. And then they sign two dudes for rebounding specifically.

I don't think it's lack of effort.

gotoHcarolina52
03-02-2013, 05:32 PM
Yeah, the Heat are just coasting. They can't rebound because of effort. And then they sign two dudes for rebounding specifically.

I don't think it's lack of effort.

LOL.

Last season the HEAT were 6th in rebounds per game differential (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/rebounds-per-game/sort/avgReboundsDifference/year/2012) during the regular season. This season they're 20th (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/rebounds-per-game/sort/avgReboundsDifference).

How does one explain that? It must be the personnel!

The loss of Eddy Curry and Ronny Turiaf has really hurt them . . .

Guppyfighter
03-02-2013, 05:44 PM
LOL.

Last season the HEAT were 6th in rebounds per game differential (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/rebounds-per-game/sort/avgReboundsDifference/year/2012) during the regular season. This season they're 20th (http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/rebounds-per-game/sort/avgReboundsDifference).

And Bosh's regression on rebounding. And adding Ray Allen which makes them play a lot more small ball.

Can you tell me, though, if the coaching staff watched the tape, determined it was lack of effort, why are they signing energy, rebound guys?

KnicksorBust
03-02-2013, 05:44 PM
NOW I think they're going to repeat.

rocket
03-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Why?

72 Wins
03-02-2013, 06:00 PM
One of the goofiest looking dudes in the NBA, just like Lebron, at 18 he looked like he was 40.

Funny, he looks like he hasn't aged...or stopped aging at 20. Has had the same face for the past 20 years. lol

ATX
03-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Great signing IMO. He's got a lot left in the tank and I think this ensures another championship in South Beach.

Your obviously just trying to bait Heat fans with this nonsense, and why is this in the NBA forum? He is brought in for leadership. The organization takes care of their players, and him and Riley share a mutual respect for one another. From everything I've ever read, the Heat players love having Juwan around. A team improving in leadership and chemistry is never a bad thing.

naps
03-02-2013, 06:10 PM

Still Heat are a better team than your Bulls. Go away.

rockbottom2010
03-02-2013, 06:15 PM
howard still in great shape for his age

Minimal
03-02-2013, 06:15 PM
Pack your bags boys and girls its game over now!

beasted86
03-02-2013, 06:24 PM
LOL.

That really means nothing. You are talking about 41.6 rebounds per game vs. 38.6 rebounds per game. It's 3 rebounds per game we are talking about here... who cares about the rank.

rockbottom2010
03-02-2013, 07:07 PM
u know what...hes not there for playing time...ya he'll play..but hes there for motivation - I like this move, pushes the limit for Lebron James come playoff time

yaswaggin
03-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Everyone just stop

Only reason he's on the heat is to wear a suit and motivate his team and in return he gets his second ring

MTL_123
03-02-2013, 07:20 PM
:facepalm:

MTL_123
03-02-2013, 07:21 PM
wat ever its not like hes going to play

Minimal
03-02-2013, 07:26 PM
If this goes like this, Miami is gonna sign him every year before the playoffs up until he hits 70 years old, imagine how many rings he will have. Bill Russell, alividerchi.

yaswaggin
03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
If this goes like this, Miami is gonna sign him every year before the playoffs up until he hits 70 years old, imagine how many rings he will have. Bill Russell, alividerchi.

Lebron will be going back to Cleveland in 2 years so hel prob start signing with the cavs then

rockbottom2010
03-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Lebron will be going back to Cleveland in 2 years so hel prob start signing with the cavs then

stop it....hes not going to go the same what he did the first 7 years in the league and u want to know something....dan gilbert ****ed up

D12 fan
03-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Lebron will be going back to Cleveland in 2 years so hel prob start signing with the cavs thenHe is also taking half the Heat fanbase with him lol.

yaswaggin
03-02-2013, 07:39 PM
stop it....hes not going to go the same what he did the first 7 years in the league and u want to know something....dan gilbert ****ed up

It depends really on how good wade will be in 2 years, bosh will most certainly be the same player and still a great 3rd option. Wade's body is starting to break down from taking all those falls, i dont get wtf happened to his jumper, and if lebron comes back wade by then has to do something to increase the length of his career by getting a reliable jumper

gotoHcarolina52
03-02-2013, 07:42 PM
That really means nothing. You are talking about 41.6 rebounds per game vs. 38.6 rebounds per game. It's 3 rebounds per game we are talking about here... who cares about the rank.

Sure, but how we measure the deficiency does little to affect how we explain it causally.

(1) Miami dropped 14 places in rebound differential from last season.

vs

(2) Miami collects 3 less rebounds per game than it did last season.

Do either of those statements help you explain, definitively, whether the deficiency is due to personnel or lack of effort?

And, in any event, I brought up the rebound rankings sarcastically, to satirize those who attribute the HEAT's rebounding "woes" to personnel, not to extrapolate from it any meaningful statistical insight.

rockbottom2010
03-02-2013, 07:45 PM
It depends really on how good wade will be in 2 years, bosh will most certainly be the same player and still a great 3rd option. Wade's body is starting to break down from taking all those falls, i dont get wtf happened to his jumper, and if lebron comes back wade by then has to do something to increase the length of his career by getting a reliable jumper

i could see lebron leaving after the 2016 season..is it me or your missing out on the heat....wade is back to playing at a high level, he has a good 3 years left in him...any player in the nba can work on their jumper...look at lebron, he's finally becoming a consistent jumper....plus..if it weren't for wade...miami would have loss the game versus the grizzlies

yaswaggin
03-02-2013, 07:46 PM
He is also taking half the Heat fanbase with him lol.

When dwight goes to Houston next year off you go to your next team

You went from the east coast to the west coast now you gonna be down the middle in Texas

That's a lot of bandwagoning miles, time for you to get a new bandwagon

rockbottom2010
03-02-2013, 07:54 PM

You went from the east coast to the west coast now you gonna be down the middle in Texas

That's a lot of bandwagoning miles, time for you to get a new bandwagon

lol

D12 fan
03-02-2013, 08:01 PM

That's a lot of bandwagoning miles, time for you to get a new bandwagonAll Lakers bro, keep hating bitter Sixer fan.

CubsBullsBucs
03-02-2013, 08:50 PM

it was sarcasm, not hate. but okay. typical heat fan.

Bulls fan: heat sign Juwan Howard.
Heat fan: my dad is stronger than your dad!

Sadds The Gr8
03-02-2013, 08:51 PM
lol I didn't even know he left

OceanSpray
03-02-2013, 08:55 PM
He's not there to play. He's there for motivation and his experience of the game can help other players. When you're as old and experienced as Howard, your role is simple; make sure they are physically and mentally prepared.
Great move by the Miami Heat. Got rid of space, aka Pittman, for someone who actually has value.

Forever35
03-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Good for Juwan... Too bad "The Chief" was the oldest player to win an NBA championship...

tapajafri
03-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Cleaning out my garage last weekend, I found a tape of an old Kings Nuggets game from 2003. The Kings won on a Chris Webber game winner, but damn, Juwan Howard CARRIED that nuggets team. People forget how good Howard was back in the day.

Howard single handily took the Nuggets right down to the wire with the Kings, who were stacked with guys like Webber, Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, Vlade Divac, 6th man of the year that year Bobby Jackson, etc. Howard torched em..... but Webber got the last laugh with a buzzer beater. Love Juwan, great professional. More locker room leadership for the Heat I guess? Not like they need it though...

69centers
03-02-2013, 09:55 PM
It's only a 10-day.

NOW I think they're going to repeat.

Are we all serious here? The guy got 2.7 minutes per game in last year's playoffs and pulled down a whopping .1 rebounds per game.

it was sarcasm, not hate. but okay. typical heat fan.

Bulls fan: heat sign Juwan Howard.
Heat fan: my dad is stronger than your dad!

No, Bulls fan: "I think this ensures another championship in South Beach"

I think you're a Heat fan in Bulls clothing

Slug3
03-02-2013, 10:06 PM
This is just Riley who has always liked Howard.

I still love how the NBA helped the Lakers get Gasol, but when Miami tried to sign Howard and Zo stern had to go and change the nba rules to not allow it.

Lord Leoshes
03-03-2013, 05:08 AM
ray is taking M Millers min, as well as Wade is only now getting back to his normal self.

Lord Leoshes
03-03-2013, 05:19 AM

Yeah 21.5 ppg at .517% only shooting 16 shots a game, with 4.8 apg, 5.0 rpg, 0.9bpg, 1.7 stlpg, & a per of 24.42, making him 4th in player efficiency ratings.

You must be talking about a different Wade.

SportsFanatic10
03-03-2013, 08:27 AM

Just like Howard took you from Orlando to LA?

Bulls_fan90
03-03-2013, 08:49 AM

This thread is now about the Bulls.

How good has Noah been? Top 3 C this year. Could he possibly win Defensive player of the year?

Rip has been poop though. He should come off the bench and let Marco start. They have also looked much better with a healthy Kirk. Really under appreciated player for Chicago.

The injury bug has hit us hard though. Get everyone healthy and watch out. Bulls/Knicks Eastern Conference Finals. Two big market teams. Ratings would be amazing.

jp611
03-03-2013, 08:55 AM

He's actually trying to bait bulls fans because he's pissed the Bulls signed Amundsen over Howard for some strange reason lol

yaswaggin
03-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah 21.5 ppg at .517% only shooting 16 shots a game, with 4.8 apg, 5.0 rpg, 0.9bpg, 1.7 stlpg, & a per of 24.42, making him 4th in player efficiency ratings.

You must be talking about a different Wade.

You obviously cant read because i said how good wade will be in 2 YEARS, not now. Hes currently 31, and in 2 years when hes 33 is when lebron can opt out and leave, and he will do so if wade is not a top 15 player then

Slug3
03-03-2013, 12:52 PM

Are you seriously going to say that? I STILL remember when ou were cheering on the magic not too long ago.