PDA

View Full Version : Magic offers LeBron $1M to do dunk contest

rockbottom2010
03-02-2013, 12:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9006651/magic-johnson-offers-lebron-james-1-million-do-dunk-contest

LeBron James never has taken part in the NBA's dunk contest. Now he might have a million reasons to try it.

Magic Johnson on Friday said he wants to see James take part in the annual contest so badly that he offered to give $1 million to James -- or anyone who can beat him.

"Please, LeBron, get in the dunk contest. I'm going to put up a million dollars," Johnson said on ESPN's Kia NBA Countdown. "A million dollars from Magic to LeBron. Please get in the dunk contest. I go every year. I want to see you out there. A million to the winner."

The NBA currently pays $100,000 to the winner and $50,000 to the runner-up.

James always has declined to take part in the annual contest, but he has been throwing down trophy-worthy dunks lately in pregame warm-ups.

Jalen Rose called for more elite players to take part, as well.

"LeBron James, Blake Griffin both have to be in it," Rose said on the show, and Johnson agreed. "All-Star-caliber players helping build the league during All-Star weekend."

Griffin won the contest in 2011.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Sick bluff by Magic. There's DEFINATELY a catch though... :laugh: No way that $1 mil is all coming straight from his personal bank account.

D-Leethal
03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
I just don't get why he feels the need to cocktease all the fans by doing it for the cameras in warmups, keep hinting towards doing it and than saying hes not doing it, than hinting towards it again. Hes pretty much just ****ing with all the fans. Its a shame they don't want to honor the stars that came before them that all participated and gave us some lifelong memories.

R. Johnson#3
03-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Good

Raidaz4Life
03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Who cares if Lebron does or doesn't want to do it? It has no affect on his legacy if he goes out and proves he is the best out of game dunker in the league.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2013, 12:35 PM
I just don't get why he feels the need to cocktease all the fans by doing it for the cameras in warmups, keep hinting towards doing it and than saying hes not doing it, than hinting towards it again. Hes pretty much just ****ing with all the fans. Its a shame they don't want to honor the stars that came before them that all participated and gave us some lifelong memories.

I feel the opposite. He knows that he's got nothing to gain by going against guys like James White and Jeremy Evans in a Dunk Contest but he does love dunking and entertaining the fans.

MagicBucsSox
03-02-2013, 12:36 PM
I think leBron is ok financially. Million dollars prolly doesn't even get him out of bed

mjt20mik
03-02-2013, 12:57 PM
He should do it. It's for fun, and people are going to stupidly bash him regardless. A million to the charity of his choosing for joining, I hope he does it.

Baller1
03-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Lebron
Westbrook
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Iguodala

Boom. Go.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Lebron
Westbrook
Griffin
Wall
Rose
Iguodala

Boom. Go.

That's the only interesting aspect of this whole offer. If LeBron does do the slam dunk... would that entice other stars?

Baller1
03-02-2013, 01:07 PM
That's the only interesting aspect of this whole offer. If LeBron does do the slam dunk... would that entice other stars?

Yup, guaranteed. At least in my opinion.

godolphins
03-02-2013, 01:16 PM
He's been doing this for years. He even did it in Cleveland. This is nothing new.

Avenged
03-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Who cares if Lebron does or doesn't want to do it? It has no affect on his legacy if he goes out and proves he is the best out of game dunker in the league.

Doesn't have to influence a legacy for him to do it. It'll just be fun to see.

Kenny
03-02-2013, 01:31 PM
If Lebron entered one of three things would happen.

#1- he would miss a few attempts and be labeled a choker.
#2- he wins the dunk contest and people will say someone else should of won it.
#3- lebron does really well and wins the dunk contest then people compare it to all time dunks and say lebron wasn't as good.

TopsyTurvy
03-02-2013, 01:37 PM
A dunk contest for any NBA superstar has become a losing proposition. The NBA should open the contest up to both amateurs and pro-players.

conway429
03-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't think LeBron will ever do it.
People are starving to have the dunk contest be better. They just assume that LBJ would make it amazing to watch, so there's not a whole lot for him to gain from doing it.
If he can't think of anything really creative and the contest still sucks, then his rep takes a huge hit.
I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think many stars will ever do the contest again, purely because of their image.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-02-2013, 01:42 PM
I think due to all the anticipation and hype of him doing it for the past 6 or 7 years would cause him to have to do something extrodinary. I don't think there is a dunk in the world that he could do to impress everyone short of jumping from the half court line

beasted86
03-02-2013, 01:44 PM
I feel the opposite. He knows that he's got nothing to gain by going against guys like James White and Jeremy Evans in a Dunk Contest but he does love dunking and entertaining the fans.

Agree.

I think leBron is ok financially. Million dollars prolly doesn't even get him out of bed

$1M is a lot to everybody, even billionaires.

rockbottom2010
03-02-2013, 02:20 PM
lebron james being in the dunk contest will catch the world the attention...im cool with either way....he needs his rings

Buckwheat
03-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Agree.

$1M is a lot to everybody, even billionaires.

LeBron wouldn't be keeping this one million dollars to himself. It'd go to charity. And he looks stupid if he turns down a one million dollar donation because he doesn't want to do five dunks.

Hitman 3:16
03-02-2013, 02:47 PM

This post makes no sense at all. Who is talking about James' legacy?

It's for the fans, it's supposed to be fun. Do you even understand what you post half the time?

Tkwod5
03-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Great incentive by Magic Johnson. Would be FANTASTIC to see Lebron go against some of the Young guns! Also would attract ALOT of attention. Can't believe he's never made it out there yet

rockbottom2010
03-02-2013, 08:00 PM
i don't think its going to happen

SteBO
03-02-2013, 08:37 PM
LeBron can do whatever he wants to do. I'm not in the business of telling a grown man what to do in his spare time. It's sad that this is even story.....

Sactown
03-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Eh, adding Lebron James to the dunk contest isn't going to make it any better. I don't want to see Lebron beat out a bunch of no name players in a dunk contest.. I'm not that interested unless

Lebron
Wade
D-Rose
John Wall
Blake Griffin
Kevin Durant

and other hyper athletic stars do it.

rockbottom2010
03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
i think mike wilbon, kevin durant pitched in 1000 each

JiffyMix88
03-04-2013, 04:39 PM

Who? oh idk there are such things as children and when you have some you'll be pulling for their favorite player to be in it as well just to see the joy on their faces. You are correct though, either way it won't affect his legacy.

rockbottom2010
03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
skip bayless is pitching in 2000 lol...the pot goes up

WITZ
03-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Pretty sad if it takes 1 Million dollars for lebron to join considering he is already a multi-millionaire.Now if he were to donate that then its a different story.

sp1derm00
03-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Wow. Magic just called Lebron out sick.

Jeffy25
03-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Curious.

Why doesn't James do the dunk contest?

I Rock Shaqs
03-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Curious.

Pressure??

IndiansFan337
03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Sick bluff by Magic. There's DEFINATELY a catch though... :laugh: No way that $1 mil is all coming straight from his personal bank account.

He could raise $1 million from people he knows, sponsors, endorsers, etc very easily.

rockbottom2010
03-05-2013, 12:13 AM
my question is why didn't he do this earlier in the season...or even earlier in his career

koreancabbage
03-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Curious.

he says he isn't a good dunk contest dunker.

l might agree with him. He's all about power and his in game dunks are a reflection of that. He doesn't do anything fancy but he jumps out of the building and lands those power tomahawk dunks. place goes wild.

tredigs
03-05-2013, 01:07 AM
He could raise $1 million from people he knows, sponsors, endorsers, etc very easily.

Or take it out of his personal account and not bat an eyelash. The guy's worth at least half a billion.

If LBJ dunks after all of this, it will be the most anti-climactic **** of all time. Best thing he can do is not participate, and I think he knows this.

OceanSpray
03-05-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm laughing at how people think he can make more off endorsements just because he's in a dunk contest... He's LeBron James. He doesn't need a damn dunk contest to get endorsers since he's already proven himself as one of the most marketable athletes ever.

Sactown
03-05-2013, 02:46 AM
I wish Magic offered me 1Mill to enter the dunk contest :(

rockbottom2010
03-05-2013, 05:02 AM
King James ‏@LeBronJames
#GetLeBronToDunk

SteBO
03-05-2013, 11:05 AM
OceanSpray gets it…..

Hustla23
03-05-2013, 04:50 PM
There would be enormous pressure on Lebron to do it if Johnson said he'd donate 1 million to a charity of Lebron's choice instead of just giving it to him.