PDA

View Full Version : Non-Star players that deserve to be in the Hall of Fame consideration

4milesperday
03-01-2013, 09:50 PM
Which players are just so good at their role that they deserve as much recognition as All Stars in making the hall of fame?

Few came to mind: Robbert Horry, Shane Battier, Ben Wallace

4 POINT PLAY LJ
03-01-2013, 10:04 PM
Derrick fisher and Toni kukoc

Off the top of my head

alexander_37
03-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Wallace maybe, I like Battier personally best glue guy ever.

kblo247
03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
I'd consider Ben more than a role player.

If we're talking role guys

Kenny Smith, Derek Fisher, Rick Fox, Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, Michael Cooper, Toni Kukoc, Ron Harper, Lamar Odom, Horace Grant, Charles Oakley, AC Green, Kurt Rambis, John Paxson, Bruce Bowen, Bill Cartwright

Just to name a few, and all of whom were more important than Battier

ThaDubs
03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Steve Curr.

garyraymond23
03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Chris Bosh?

*shrugs*

stawka
03-01-2013, 10:26 PM
Andre Miller. **** it!

rocketfuel
03-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Robert Horry should be the first one to go in. In game-deciding final seconds, he plays like a hall of famer....scratch that...he plays better than most hall of famers. Can't remember another player having a more exciting shot than that one he did against the Kings saving the Lakers season.

Raps18-19 Champ
03-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Ben Wallace was a star player...

mightybosstone
03-02-2013, 02:50 AM
I don't think Ben Wallace should be included in this, because there's a very good chance he'll make the Hall of Fame some day and he was a star in many ways. As others have mentioned, I think Horry deserves come consideration, and the same could be said for Fisher, although I wouldn't argue the same for Battier (and I LOVE Shane Battier). Andre Miller is a guy someone mentioned who I think at least deserves consideration even if he doesn't have a shot. He was insanely consistent for a really long time.

I'd have to really, really think about other deserving guys in the history of the game. Horace Grant was a solid one, but I think there are even better picks. How about Sidney Moncrief? Arguably one of the greatest defenders in the history of the NBA and averaged an insanely efficient 16/5/4 in his career. He played in a few all-star games I believe, but the guy was a defensive beast and never really a true No. 1, so you could argue he belongs in this category.

b@llhog24
03-02-2013, 02:52 AM
Andre Miller. **** it!

That guy.

LAcowBOMBER
03-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Bruce Bowen and Horry come to mind. Ben Wallace was DPOY multiple years wasn't he? He was more than a role player

Raps18-19 Champ
03-02-2013, 02:59 AM
Mark Jackson.

Hellcrooner
03-02-2013, 03:21 AM
Bobby Jones.

Its a complete shame he isnt in already.
Altough he could be considered as a second tier " star".

hidalgo
03-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Vlade Divac

97NYer
03-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Tyson Chandler

Alayla
03-02-2013, 03:57 AM
]Andre Miller[/B]. **** it!

this

Dnovakovic099
03-02-2013, 04:12 AM
Vlade Divac

Vlade and Horry

Hawkeye15
03-02-2013, 05:25 AM
Mike James

eso
03-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Not a star then not a hall of famer..

5ass
03-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Muggsy Bogues.

Jahari Kavi
03-02-2013, 10:09 AM
these guys are non stars for a reason lol....Wallace should and probably will get in one day, but like poster said he was actually a legit all star for several years and the NBA's best defensive player for some time as well....if you want to talk HOF non superstar players then I think Ginobli tops the list....Horry and Fisher deserve consideration also if you want to talk about some of the greatest role players ever........

D-Leethal
03-02-2013, 11:58 AM
This thread has Andre Miller written all over it. I think the target should be guys who were borderline allstars and had extremely long, successful careers. Dre Miller has only missed 4 ****ing games in his career. That is unreal.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Andre Miller is not a Hall of Famer. Didn't earn it. Doesn't deserve it.

D-Leethal
03-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Andre Miller is not a Hall of Famer. Didn't earn it. Doesn't deserve it.

I think anyone 3rd all time in any major category needs to be considered.

Edit: damn I must have misconstrued what they said last night, didn't realize he was 3rd among active, 10th all time.

nirvana235
03-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Ben Wallace is a HoFer and was a star player even if people didn't realize it.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2013, 12:38 PM
I think anyone 3rd all time in any major category needs to be considered.

Edit: damn I must have misconstrued what they said last night, didn't realize he was 3rd among active, 10th all time.

Counting stats mean durability. Durability does not produce wins or championships. He's a 0x all-star + 0x NBA Champion. Get outta here.

Ben Wallace is a HoFer and was a star player even if people didn't realize it.

This is the majority opinion despite what the OP said. :)

chitownredbulls
03-02-2013, 12:55 PM
screw derek fisher.....i ****ing hate that guy......sucks ****ing ***...lol.....but my guy would be Shane Battier.......if Dennis Rodman is a HOFer, then Battier is a shoe in......straight up hard working guy....

sep11ie
03-02-2013, 12:56 PM
No way does Battier deserve consideration. That's like saying Chuck Hayes deserves to be in.
Ben Wallace was a star, just not an offensive star.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2013, 01:03 PM
screw derek fisher.....i ****ing hate that guy......sucks ****ing ***...lol.....but my guy would be Shane Battier.......if Dennis Rodman is a HOFer, then Battier is a shoe in......straight up hard working guy....

How are these two even comparable? Rodman was a 2x DPOY, the greatest rebounder of all-time, and a 5x NBA Champion. Battier's career can't even sniff Rodman's jock.

No way does Battier deserve consideration. That's like saying Chuck Hayes deserves to be in.
Ben Wallace was a star, just not an offensive star.

Yep. People are taking it too far with guys like Battier and I agree with you on Big Ben.

D-Leethal
03-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Counting stats mean durability. Durability does not produce wins or championships. He's a 0x all-star + 0x NBA Champion. Get outta here.

This is the majority opinion despite what the OP said. :)

Your all time career stats definitely matter. Lets not pretend only all star appearances and championships matter when it comes to being HOF worthy. I change my stance now on Miller but I don't think its inconceivable someone can get in without those. I also think durability and longevity has to matter, even if its of smaller importance. He had a pretty damn good 4 year college career too and made the final 4. He wouldn't get my vote right now but if he plays 4 more years at the same level and jumps up that career assist list I might reevaluate.

beasted86
03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman are cut from the same cloth.

Wallace is a lock for HOF as far as I see it, so he shouldn't count.

KnicksorBust
03-02-2013, 01:54 PM
Your all time career stats definitely matter. Lets not pretend only all star appearances and championships matter when it comes to being HOF worthy. I change my stance now on Miller but I don't think its inconceivable someone can get in without those. I also think durability and longevity has to matter, even if its of smaller importance. He had a pretty damn good 4 year college career too and made the final 4. He wouldn't get my vote right now but if he plays 4 more years at the same level and jumps up that career assist list I might reevaluate.

On one level I'm with you... I value longevity a lot myself. However, longevity doing what? Longevity making all-star teams and winning championships is phenomenal. This is why Kobe Bryant ranks #4 on my all-time list (which many people disagree). However, longevity as a role player on 6 teams doesn't impress me. I'm glad we agree now that he's not HoF worthy.

They could create a Kareem/Mailman/Stockton/Parish award for players with remarkable durability though... he'd be a lock for that. :)

D-Leethal
03-02-2013, 02:04 PM
On one level I'm with you... I value longevity a lot myself. However, longevity doing what? Longevity making all-star teams and winning championships is phenomenal. This is why Kobe Bryant ranks #4 on my all-time list (which many people disagree). However, longevity as a role player on 6 teams doesn't impress me. I'm glad we agree now that he's not HoF worthy.

They could create a Kareem/Mailman/Stockton/Parish award for players with remarkable durability though... he'd be a lock for that. :)

I would put him above a role player, he was prob a top 10 PG in the league for a lot of years. I think he would have needed to maintain his peak production he saw in years 2 and 3 for a longer period to have a legitimate case.

Steelers23_06
03-02-2013, 02:27 PM
I was thinking Shane battier but I thought it was the homer in me haha. But fisher, Horry, Yao. Fisher is one of the smartest players I've seen play he doesn't excel at anything but because he's so smart he was able to have a lengthy career. Horry was clutch in countless situation. And Yao was essential in making the NBA bigger on a global level and who doesn't remember the Yao vs shaq hype. I'm not saying any of them are first ballot but I think they should be definitely be considered.

rocketfuel
03-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Certain players, though they didn't have the stats to be allstars, were way more valuable to their franchises and turned the fortunes for them more than the "allstars." Horry changed the fortunes of the Rockets, Lakers and Spurs. He wasn't just some valuable role player... he hit shots that completely turned things around. When I saw that he was added to the Lakers or Spurs...I was like oh man they will win another championship soon.... and wow I can't believe he just hit that shot. He's like the MJ/Reggie Miller of the last second shot. Amazing.