PDA

View Full Version : How High Can The Pelicans Fly?

CubsBullsBucs
03-01-2013, 05:32 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the New Orleans Pelicans future. It seems like most teams who have a #1 stud and surrounding young assets have a bright future. So in general, when do you see the Pelicans making the playoffs in the West and when do you see them becoming legit championship contenders, if ever? Will Eric Gordon be part of that if it does happen? With Davis and Rivers alone, I love the outlook of their future. I just wish they couldve gotten a better return for CP3, wouldve been one of the scariest up and coming teams in the league. Now EG is a head ache to say the least.

JeffG20
03-01-2013, 05:46 AM
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the New Orleans Pelicans future. It seems like most teams who have a #1 stud and surrounding young assets have a bright future. So in general, when do you see the Pelicans making the playoffs in the West and when do you see them becoming legit championship contenders, if ever? Will Eric Gordon be part of that if it does happen? With Davis and Rivers alone, I love the outlook of their future. I just wish they couldve gotten a better return for CP3, wouldve been one of the scariest up and coming teams in the league. Now EG is a head ache to say the least.

not sure why anyone else thinks they could of gotten a better deal....if the original deal went through they wouldnt of been in a position to draft Davis. the Future hinges on him. he just needs to bulk up a bit and he'll be fine.

i dont anticipate Gordon being there long term. i'd imagine they will trade him if they can build up his trade value.

love the direction of this team...most other hornets fans want to compare the rebuild model to OKC....but i'm thinking they'll be more of a Denver type of team.... i dont anticipate ever seeing a title in my lifetime to be honest. i just want a well run team that puts in 100% everytime.

ryder78c
03-01-2013, 05:53 AM
trade Gordon and rivers for a good PG and Sg and they have a team both suck but there names let them be known

should of tried trading Gordon,pick for Josh Smith

Anderson/lopez
Davis
Smith
Rivers
vasquez

WickedBadMan
03-01-2013, 06:40 AM
Could be a lot better if they didn't waste a top 10 draft pick on the worst player in the NBA.

bholly
03-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Could be a lot better if they didn't waste a top 10 draft pick on the worst player in the NBA.

Yup - tough to see how people could be claiming him as a positive part of their future or listing him as a starter in supposedly good lineups.

Also worth remembering that they're in line for another pretty good pick this year - currently tied for the 4th worst record. I think they could be a prime candidate to win a few more games than they have been, but they should still be in line for another good pick.

Vikingfan84
03-01-2013, 07:38 AM
They should have traded that #10 pick and there 2nd round pick or future considerations and snatched up another elite top 5 pick. I'd say Dion Waiters would have been the best option and let Eric Gordon walk or sign and trade him to Phoenix for Gortat and a 1st rounder. I think that would have made them better than where they're at today and created more assets for the future. I think Phoenix during the offseason would still take EG and take advantage of that. When healthy EG is a very good player. But you can't bank on that with the state of his health. You just never know with him.

JeffG20
03-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Yup - tough to see how people could be claiming him as a positive part of their future or listing him as a starter in supposedly good lineups.

Also worth remembering that they're in line for another pretty good pick this year - currently tied for the 4th worst record. I think they could be a prime candidate to win a few more games than they have been, but they should still be in line for another good pick.

Rivers is playing much better then he started. ive.been very critical of him this season. he shot around 46% for the month of february.

Rivers might not be worthy of a top 10 pick but writing of a player not even a year into his rookie season is ignorant. now if hes shown no signs 2 or 3 years down the line maybe. people need to give him the benefit of a full offseason at least

CubsBullsBucs
03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Rivers is playing much better then he started. ive.been very critical of him this season. he shot around 46% for the month of february.

Rivers might not be worthy of a top 10 pick but writing of a player not even a year into his rookie season is ignorant. now if hes shown no signs 2 or 3 years down the line maybe. people need to give him the benefit of a full offseason at least

completely agreed. i think he can play like steph curry if he reaches his potential. no reason to write him off yet

b@llhog24
03-01-2013, 04:56 PM
completely agreed. i think he can play like steph curry if he reaches his potential. no reason to write him off yet

No.

Minimal
03-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Pelicans fly very high and very low. They can skim the surface of the water with a long, controlled gliding motion and they can rise to altitudes of 3000 metres. They can ride the thermals and reach a speed of 56km/h. They can stay aloft for 24 hours.

Sly Guy
03-01-2013, 05:31 PM
funny thing is I don't see anthony davis as being a potentially game changing star. I never did. We'll see, and not that I'm wishing the guy any harm, I've just never been impressed.

garyraymond23
03-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Depends on the development of their core young guys - Anthony Davis/Austin Rivers. But they also will have a very high pick this year as well. They need to ship off Eric Gordon asap IMO, he's injury prone, overpaid and doesn't want to be in NO anyways. I don't see him sticking around long term.

RLundi
03-01-2013, 07:14 PM
Cheesy thread title...

D-Leethal
03-01-2013, 07:16 PM
Has anyone on that squad said anything about the name? I'm sure reporters are asking them what they think, curious to see what the reaction is or if its typical 'its up to the owner' type stuff.

garyraymond23
03-01-2013, 07:21 PM
Cheesy thread title...

you right.

JEDean89
03-01-2013, 08:05 PM
i dunno about the rivers pick being bad. if drummond was still on the board at 10 it would have been an awful pick but he went 9 and look after 10 there isn't much potential. sure andrew nicholson, tyler zeller and john henson are nice players but the hornets made the right pick with rivers. yes he has had a bad season but yes he's also 19 years old and does have a good work ethic and will get a lot better.

what the hornets need to do now is trade gordon and yes vasquez to maybe the suns and try and land an additional top 5 pick then attempt to draft marcus smart and one of zeller, noel, len. then you tank next year for a top 2 pick. next year we will see more tanking than we are used to do the extremely top heavy talent of next years draft. Do not get me wrong this is not a knock on picks 3-60 but Jabbari Parker and Andrew Wiggins are being viewed as Carmelo Anthony, Lebron James type players. They are both manchilds with extremely polished games and will be the ideal cornerstone to any young franchise. my guess is that Wiggins will go #1 and Parker #2 and it seems like teams don't win the #1 pick more than once in such a short period of time so say they land parker.

Lopez
Davis
Parker
Rivers
Smart

Len
Anderson
Aminu

FA backcourt off the bench. A nice 6th man 2 guard like Ben Gordon and a solid backup pg and this is a team. This team's ceiling is extremely high. Imagine Melo and Garnett entering the league at the same time. Though Davis hasn't overwhelmed his rookie year, he has been pretty damn good and in a year or two will be a top 15 player. His rookie stats are superior to Garnetts and we really just have no idea as to just how good this player can be. You pair that with a Wiggins or Parker and you have the new Durant Westbrook. Drafting always has an element of luck but if they get high enough picks in the next 2 drafts, there is plenty of can't miss talent. Gordon is the piece that really needs to go, however you do not buy high and sell low. Gordon's play has lacked due to injury and if he can regain his 20+ ppg self next year he is a very valuable player at a very thin position in the nba. The key is getting not only a top pick, but an additional player who can compliment davis. Right now this team should only be building around Davis and if they can get him some playoff experience before his rookie contract is up, they have a much better chance.

Unfortunately the name Pelicans is going to harm the franchise. I understand NO fans that the pelicans mean a lot to you and I respect that but it does not mean that i means anything to me, or to the international community. There color scheme basically is the same as the cavs when there are plenty of colors underutilized (some more gold please!) There is also no traditional white and blue team like Duke anymore, which is another great color scheme. There are too many teams with like 4 colors and you really don't which they are going for. The cavs are a great example. They were maroon, yellow and white not to mention their bright blue and orange throw backs. I think that they should have modeled themselves after sucessful rebrands. The Nets are a team that did an absolutely wonderful job rebranding the nets. Though I would have loved to have seen the Brooklyn Ballers, the Black and White of the Nets is very sleek and completely blows the old brand out of the water. That's what NO needed to do, but instead they made a very forgettable logo, an overused color scheme and it seems as though Benson is trying to appease his wife and friends more than the young fans of today. In short the team is going to be good with Davis at the helm + a couple more lotto picks. As long as they avoid mediocrity like the Bucks or Jazz they should have a good chance at building a solid playoff team in the next 2 years. Also, why the **** didn't they try and do a Gordon to Phoenix, Harden to NO, and picks from both teams to OKC. Everyone would have got what they wanted.

CubsBullsBucs
03-02-2013, 04:29 AM
No.

you realize Rivers just turned 20, right? how are you so sure about his future? I would LOVE him on my team if i was a GM. Hes a good kid too, as he should be being Docs son. Just over half a year in the league and a lot of people are writing him off. ridiculous.

mikekhelxD
03-02-2013, 04:41 AM
Pelicans can fly as high as 9842 ft.