PDA

View Full Version : Sacramento's mayor Kevin Johnson unveils ownership group to keep Kings in SAC

sacgiants1213
03-01-2013, 12:22 AM
In a stirring speech that set the stage for a showdown with the Maloofs and NBA owners, Sacramento mayor Kevin Johnson announced Thursday night that fitness mogul Mark Mastrov will submit a competing bid to buy the Kings and keep the team in Sacramento.

Billionaire Ron Burkle will take the lead on a new downtown arena and also will have a stake in the team if the city's bid is successful, along with a team of other investors. In addition, Hall of Fame finalist and former Kings star Mitch Richmond is one of 20 local investors who have pledged $1 million each to the cause.

"We are a city that works to keep what is ours," Johnson said.

Mastrov, who told CBSSports.com Jan. 11 of his interest in buying the team in an attempt to avert its proposed move to Seattle, will submit a "very strong and competitive bid" Friday -- meeting a deadline the mayor imposed to meet several criteria in his full-court press to keep the team.

"I have been assured by the commissioner of the NBA that we will be given full consideration," Johnson said in his annual state of the city address.

Mastrov, who finished second to Joe Lacob and Peter Guber in a bid to buy the Golden State Warriors, is believed to have a net worth of $350 million -- not regarded as enough to stand alone as majority owner in the franchise. But with the backing of other investors and Burkle spearheading the arena, Johnson might just have drawn up a compelling enough play to cause owners who will be voting on the fate of the Kings to take notice.

"With all due respect to Seattle, I absolutely do wish them well and I do hope they get a team someday," Johnson said. "But ... let me be perfectly, crystal clear: It is not going to be this team. Not our team. No way."

A group led by hedge fund magnate Chris Hansen and Microsoft's Steve Ballmer has an executed purchase agreement to buy the team from the Maloof family for $525 million. An application to relocate the team to Seattle next season has been submitted to the NBA, and the Hansen-Ballmer group has, indeed, turned over a $30 million deposit.

Commissioner David Stern has combined two committees of owners -- advisory finance and relocation -- to deal with the Sacramento-Seattle issue. The committees will make a recommendation to the full Board of Governors on which bid to accept. The full board meets April 18-19 in New York.

Johnson, who for three years has fought valiantly as the Maloofs threatened to move the Kings to Anaheim, backed out of an arena deal with Sacramento and then agreed to sell the team to the Seattle group, has forged a potentially potent alternative. Though the purchase price isn't expected to be the sole deciding factor, it's worth noting that the Mastrov-Burkle bid does not have to meet the Seattle bid to the dollar.

If the team were to stay in Sacramento, it would save a relocation fee estimated to be $30 million or more and the city's $70 million loan would not have to be repaid. Thus, the Mastrov-Burkle apples-to-apples number is approximately $425 million to compete with the Seattle bid.

“This is about building a winning franchise for a winning community,” Mastrov said in a statement from the mayor's office. “Sacramento has proven time and time again to be a great NBA market."

Once the dollars are resolved, the Maloofs' fellow owners will be in the uncomfortable position of choosing between relocation and the permanent stain it would apply to the NBA brand and an equally undesirable alternative: telling the Maloofs they can't sell their own asset to the buyer of their choosing.

No owner wants to oversee the destruction of the Sacramento market through relocation after all Johnson and the city have done to stave it off -- least of all Thunder owner Clay Bennett, the chairman of the relocation committee who successfully moved his team from Seattle to Oklahoma City in 2008. But what owner wants to set the precedent that a binding contract to sell an NBA team should be ignored for sentimental reasons?

Johnson believes the owners ultimately will side with Sacramento.

"As a city we have done everything that the NBA has ever asked of us," Johnson said. "Everything. Each time the NBA put a challenge in front of us, we not only stepped up, but we over-delivered. There is literally nothing more that we could have done, and I am convinced that in return for our efforts, the NBA is going to make the right decision. ... A small market that is [as] committed to this league as we are will be rewarded by keeping its team."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-berger/21787761/sacramento-mayor-kevin-johnson-delivers-local-owner-for-kings-tells-seattle-not-our-team

For those that assumed the Kings going to Sea was a forgone conclusion, does anyone want to change their minds? This is not over.

LeperMessiah
03-01-2013, 12:52 AM
This is not over.

heyman321
03-01-2013, 12:55 AM
that bastard! -- says everyone in Washington and Oregon, and British Columbia

D12 fan
03-01-2013, 12:56 AM
This has turned into a soap opera.

AndrewWiggins
03-01-2013, 01:13 AM

People in BC are prolly happy..bigger chance of getting their own team now.

jrm2054
03-01-2013, 01:17 AM
Didn't they already accept the other bid

hyphy king 88
03-01-2013, 01:19 AM

Has to be passed by the BOG.

sacgiants1213
03-01-2013, 01:20 AM

Maloofs accepted Seattle's Bid but board of governors have to approve it. They might block the deal if they decide that the Kings offer is solid enough to block.

Sactown
03-01-2013, 01:24 AM
All the Sacramento needs is 8 owners, while Seattle needs 22

NateyB24
03-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Sacramento is putting up a competitive bid but its still doesn't match Hansens we shall see.

Sactown
03-01-2013, 01:34 AM
Sacramento is putting up a competitive bid but its still doesn't match Hansens we shall see.

Doesn't have too, we can assume dept, you can't.

NateyB24
03-01-2013, 01:36 AM
Doesn't have too, we can assume dept, you can't.

From the League or the City?

GrandDaddyPurp
03-01-2013, 01:40 AM
And the Kings are staying.

Sactown
03-01-2013, 01:43 AM
From the League or the City?

Both, as we're continuing the franchise, Seattle isn't.

NateyB24
03-01-2013, 01:50 AM
Saying there saved is a bit premature imo Hansens deal has to first get voted down this is like the fans who think the Kings are coming to Seattle no matter what.

LOOTERX9
03-01-2013, 01:51 AM
For the Love of God would they get out of Sacramento... That team in that city is stained as a crappy team for a decade now. I don't have any interest watching Sacramento Ball games on my television even if their playing the team i root for

HouRealCoach
03-01-2013, 01:51 AM
Sacramento is the last city that needs to lose their team.. They have had some of the loudest crowds I have ever witnessed after Golden State (2007 & 2008)

Even after all of these rumors about the team moving they are still there to support unlike NJ was for the NEts

Sactown
03-01-2013, 01:56 AM
For the Love of God would they get out of Sacramento... That team in that city is stained as a crappy team for a decade now. I don't have any interest watching Sacramento Ball games on my television even if their playing the team i root for

You're an absolute idiot, since when does Sacramento run the franchise? How did we STAIN the franchise.. We have the most consecutive sell outs in NBA history, and it's the Maloofs who have run the team into the ground.. please stop posting, you're a disgrace.

sacgiants1213
03-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Saying there saved is a bit premature imo Hansens deal has to first get voted down this is like the fans who think the Kings are coming to Seattle no matter what.

This is very true, but you can't say that Sacramento has the momentum right now. Not that momentum means anything in the grand scheme, but the city's morale is very high right now.

May the best situation win.

Sactown
03-01-2013, 02:02 AM
This is very true, but you can't say that Sacramento has the momentum right now. Not that momentum means anything in the grand scheme, but the city's morale is very high right now.

May the best situation win.

Regardless of the outcome Seattle will have a team soon I believe.

jrm2054
03-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Burkle needs to focus on the Pens so sorry sac fans but I don't want his attention divided

NoahH
03-01-2013, 02:47 AM

I concur! That's what im saying

NoahH
03-01-2013, 02:49 AM
People in BC are prolly happy..bigger chance of getting their own team now.

Not the case. Me and all my friends will take what we can get. I don't see a team in Vancouver BCs future for a while even if the Sonics arent reincarnated. I always had a dream that Seattle / Vancouver split a team. Northwest Sonics or something. 20gms at Rogers Arena 20gms at Key Arena / New Seattle arena. I know its a dream and logistics probably wouldnt work but its a hope and a dream!!

ccg34
03-01-2013, 02:55 AM
For me its like if we get a team, great. If not, I will be disappointed a little but not mad. In my opinion, KJ's plan doesnt change my confidence in Seattle getting the kings. I still consider us the favorites.

Dawgpound3
03-01-2013, 03:21 AM
If the Maloofs wanted to use leverage with Sacramento... he would threatened them a long time ago. I think The Seattle Deal will get approved and this unfortunately reeks of the Art Modell-Baltimore Cleveland deal back in 1995. I sure hope they stay but it does seem a bit suspicious with David Stern leaving and wanting to get a team in Seattle before he leaves.

Odominator
03-01-2013, 03:30 AM
Just move the freakign Pelicans to Seattle and call it a day. If not, Toronto would be another option.

KniCks4LiFe
03-01-2013, 03:37 AM
Toronto ain't having financial issues.

Tmath
03-01-2013, 04:06 AM
Just move the freakign Pelicans to Seattle and call it a day. If not, Toronto would be another option.

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Toronto is 13th in the league in attendance this season with a crappy record. When they are winning, they are top 5.

Kings are last in attendance, they aren't making a good case for them selves.

Bucks, Pacers & Hawks don't deserve teams. They have winning records, yet still have poor attendance.

Tmath
03-01-2013, 04:08 AM

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance

Toronto is 13th in the league in attendance this season with a crappy record. When they are winning, they are top 5.

Kings are last in attendance, they aren't making a good case for them selves.

Bucks, Pacers & Hawks don't deserve teams. They have winning records, yet still have poor attendance. Detroit & New Orleans suck, so they have an excuse for having poor attendance.

KniCks4LiFe
03-01-2013, 04:10 AM
I'd say if the Roxs don't raise that attendance they may be next. But we'll see.

ACanadian
03-01-2013, 04:15 AM

Get you're facts before making you make youre arrogant opinion public first

ryder78c
03-01-2013, 05:23 AM
You're an absolute idiot, since when does Sacramento run the franchise? How did we STAIN the franchise.. We have the most consecutive sell outs in NBA history, and it's the Maloofs who have run the team into the ground.. please stop posting, you're a disgrace.

Wrong Portland does quit talkin out ya rear

ryder78c
03-01-2013, 05:26 AM
kings will be the sonics sorry kings fans watch GSW your a hour away just drive

GrandDaddyPurp
03-01-2013, 05:36 PM
kings will be the sonics sorry kings fans watch GSW your a hour away just drive

How about you just watch football and baseball? You can drive to Portland for basketball.

The Kings are staying in Sacramento.

Alayla
03-01-2013, 08:48 PM
How about you just watch football and baseball? You can drive to Portland for basketball.

I hope so

tapajafri
03-01-2013, 09:40 PM

It's definitely still a long shot, but regardless the outcome, Kevin Johnson is a freaking hero. He already saved the Kings from Anaheim once.... this plan to beat out Seattle is the best possible plan he could've put together, even when it seemed all but over for Sac. Wow, I'm impressed with KJ. What a hero for the city.

tapajafri
03-01-2013, 09:42 PM
MITCH RICHMOND THO?!?! :clap:

The only other superstar to play in Sac besides Chris Webber. Kings fan have to love The Rock contributing out his own pockets.

Vancity
03-01-2013, 10:44 PM

3 hours from Seattle. But another NBA market in Vancouver is 6 hours. Neither of those are as reasonable as the 90 minutes Sac fans have to the NBA.

As for Vancouver not wanting Seattle to get a team so they can have their own. As optimistic as I am that is not happening before Seattle.

As for Clay Bennett who moved the team from Sea. OKC vs SEA is an instant rivalry = $$$

Still think NBA should have a small pool for relegation.
Bottom 4 playoffs. Bottom 2 out.
Cities like KC, Vancouver, Pitt, V Beach, Seattle etc get a shot to enter the NBA and top in the draft. no team would tank to end the year.