PDA

View Full Version : Granger willing to concede franchise-player roll with team to George/Hibbert

spreadeagle
02-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Dont hear guys of his caliber say this too much, but hes only 29, hes talking like hes 39.

Danny Granger is willing to submerge his ego and relinquish the Indiana Pacers’ franchise-player role to Paul George.

Granger recently returned after a nine-month hiatus caused by a knee tendon injury.

“I think the biggest deal about it is the assumptions since I was coming back that there’d be a competition between us, when it’s actually the opposite,” Granger said. “The way he can break defenses down, the way he can create, I can just stand, catch and shoot, drive – it makes my job easier. He’s coming in at such a young age – he’s 22 now – I’m going to be 30 in a month and a half.

“I have no problem – I’ve been in the league eight years – I have no problem passing the mantle to him, to leave the team to Roy (Hibbert) and George.

“My whole team I watched get drafted. I’ve watched all of them grow. So I have no problem passing the mantle. At all.”

Granger has helped foster a true team environment.

“Sometimes on NBA teams you’ve got guys competing with each other,” Granger said. “That’s the thing about our team. We compete against the other team. Whoever’s scoring, whoever’s playing, whoever’s passing the ball, whoever’s doing whatever, we’re rooting for that person. I think Frank Vogel, he did a good job of instilling that in all of us. Play for your teammates.”

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/indiana-pacers-danny-granger-paul-george-very-close-on-team-022713

mdm692
02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Wow that's rare to see nowadays specially from someone in their prime. Kobe take notes and your team could be dominating the NBA next season.

ManRam
02-28-2013, 10:06 PM
That's great to hear, and I'm sure Vogel has something to do with this. THey seem to have great chemistry in general on that team.

But, they still need his scoring in the long run. George is great, but he's still not the most efficient scorer in the world. If they do this right, there's no reason they can't coexist and that both of them pla a little more efficiently than they have in their careers.

But yeah, they're one of the worst offensive teams that will make the playoffs. He's gotta know his role, but they need him to contribute a good bit too.

D-Leethal
02-28-2013, 10:09 PM
He's been a trooper for that squad, would be sad if they shipped him out right when they started to turn the corner into near-elite status. But you gotta believe there is a better fit for that team out there. He and George are pretty redundant as players.

smith&wesson
02-28-2013, 10:26 PM
granger knows george is better then him. simple as that.

smith&wesson
02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Wow that's rare to see nowadays specially from someone in their prime. Kobe take notes and your team could be dominating the NBA next season.

so if kobe gave the franchise role to howard the lakers would be in better shape today ? i dont think so.

kobe is still the best player and most proven winner on that team. howard needs to learn to play off his gaurds and not vice versa, he has the best passer in the game feeding him in steve nash.

this thread really has nothing to do with kobe, im not sure if your trolling or what, but to relate this back to kobe seems like trolling.

mdm692
02-28-2013, 10:29 PM
so if kobe gave the franchise role to howarid the lakers would be in better shape today ? i dont think so.

kobe is still the best player and most proven winner on that team. howard needs to learn to play off his gaurds and not vice versa, he has the best passer in the game feeding him in steve nash.
You don't watch much Lakers games do you?

smith&wesson
02-28-2013, 10:41 PM
You don't watch much Lakers games do you?

i do actually. since kobe is my fav player i try to catch as many laker games as I can. why do you ask.

ombada
02-28-2013, 10:48 PM
He's been a trooper for that squad, would be sad if they shipped him out right when they started to turn the corner into near-elite status. But you gotta believe there is a better fit for that team out there. He and George are pretty redundant as players.

They really arent. George is a creator, Granger is a finisher. Granger has a hard time getting his own shot, but if you get him the ball in space he will knock it down, he should be the perfect compliment to George.

smith&wesson
02-28-2013, 10:57 PM
They really arent. George is a creator, Granger is a finisher. Granger has a hard time getting his own shot, but if you get him the ball in space he will knock it down, he should be the perfect compliment to George.

I think they will work together as well. mostly because george is so versatile.. he can move to the two while granger starts at the 3.

Swashcuff
02-28-2013, 11:24 PM
My two favourite players currently in the league echoing the same sentiments. Iggy moved over for Brand then Jrue and Evan an now Granger is willing to take a secondary role to two players who can be seen as the future of their franchise. True stand up guys. Iggy got hated for it though, but in the case of Granger the Pacers are already headed in the right direction so his fanbase wouldn't/shouldn't come own as hard on him as most irrational 76ers fans.

Raps18-19 Champ
02-28-2013, 11:31 PM
so if kobe gave the franchise role to howard the lakers would be in better shape today ? i dont think so.

this thread really has nothing to do with kobe, im not sure if your trolling or what, but to relate this back to kobe seems like trolling.

Lakers would be in much better shape if Kobe put his ego aside and they utilized Howard more.

D12 fan
02-28-2013, 11:36 PM
Indiana is going to be a legit threat to Miami in the playoffs especially if Granger get back to 100%.

mdm692
03-01-2013, 01:04 AM
i do actually. since kobe is my fav player i try to catch as many laker games as I can. why do you ask.

That explains why you still want Kobe as the man since that seems to be working out so well. And Nash isn't feeding D12 because Kobe wants to be the PG and the SG at the same time. If you really saw Lakers games as much as you claim you do then you would see how useless Nash is next to him.

Sactown
03-01-2013, 02:01 AM
Really cool to see the maturity there, giving credit to his coach, and talking about playing for each other.

naps
03-01-2013, 02:24 AM
Great standard by Granger! Really deserves props (Even though I never thought he was a true franchise player as he lacked the production and charisma). They will certainly need his offense though if they want to go deep into the playoffs.

Knowledge
03-01-2013, 02:35 AM
Those are some amazing quotes. Rarely do you see guys so willing to step aside for younger players, espeically doing so publicly.

HouRealCoach
03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Obviously he knows how much potential Paul George has but Hibbert could use some help from Hakeem